Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time driving, what MUST we carry?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

We will be driving to morillon for the first time for new year week. I am just getting a little list together of what we will need to carry with us. Aside from the obvious (food, warm stuff, entertainment for the kids, etc), what would you not travel without?

Snow chains are on my list along with all the European breakdown bits that we have to have. Should we have a snow shovel?

This is a little bit more organised than I was for our honeymoon when we drove across the Rocky Mountains in December in a PT Cruiser without even a can of de-icer!! I'd like this trip to be slightly less hairy. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ok I live in Chamonix year round, have lived in the Mountains since '98

First off have a practice with your snowchains, first time in daylight and dry, figure the things out - then give it a go by headtorch, if possible when it's windy and raining, fair chance you won't up ever using them IF you've practiced.

Shovel YES, snow specific one, NO. I used to carry a spare avalanche shovel but now I have a larger/cheaper one from the garden center - But I will use it, you just need something better than the box the chains come in (yes I've dug out a few stuck cars/vans with those)

Map - might not sound obvious but knowing where you are going just in case the Sat nav is being stupid or won't find an alternate route. When driving to Dunkirk, mine always tries to send me almost via Calais then down an A road full of roundabouts, instead of Via Lille which is quicker (yes sat nav says it's slower) and less stressful.

Before you go look at alternate routes, especially close to resort (2 hours out) and where to stop IF the roads are impassable.

If you let us (the forum) know where you are heading I'm sure many can help with more specific suggestions

If you haven't already booked your channel crossing go Via Dunkirk! why, on the way home you pull up at a ferry terminal in the middle of an industrial estate guarded by the trucking industry, No police or refuge/migrant issues - can save hours for a 15 min longer ferry ride.

Something to kneel on when putting chains on, preferably something that can also be shoved under the car wheels if you just need to get across/over 2-3 feet of ice - Cheap door (house) mat for 3 quid , a pair of them works brilliant.

Otherwise if you've got warm kit/food/euro brakedown list you'r covered for driving out for one trip.

If it's many trips then Snowtires, short piece of rope and knowing where to attach it to your car to get a passing car to pull you out of that ditch you've half slid into. Jump leads to start the car after it's been stood in the cold for a week and know how to connect them.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I keep a pair of work gloves with my chains for putting them on/off, keeps the hands a bit warm, they are dexterous enough for fiddling with the chains and more durable than wooly/ski gloves.
Head torch, as mentioned, is a very good idea, means the light is shining where you want it and you have both hands free.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
High vis vests are compulsory. Headlight dipping thingies if your car isn't one of those clever ones.

A kids beach spade is useful for clearing snow from right around the wheels, if you have to put chains on in snow.

wet wipes for cleaning hands after putting on chains (or taking them off, an even messier job). I always do it in bare hands, which get dirty. I can't do it quickly with gloves on. Big black poly bag to put them in afterwards (they never go easily back into the box, by the roadside, all covered in grime).

Another vote for a map. One lot of visitors to my place got completely and utterly lost because satnav sent them a stupid way. They then had no idea where they were, though they'd driven there three times before. rolling eyes

Quote:

knowing where to attach it to your car

Embarassed I didn't know this, when I kindly stopped to pull a Porsche Cayenne out of a massive snowdrift. Fortunately my brother in law, in the car with me, did know. I had the rope though.... and I can tie the right knot.

Very important, for driving at New Year, is timing. You need to try to arrive in resort either very early or very late, to avoid spending too long in traffic jams. The weather forecast makes a difference, too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you have a diesel car fill up near the mountains.

Jump leads are not essential, but can be very useful and I always carry them.

High quality (not Halfrauds) screen wash. Scrapers etc.

Don't use a cable handbrake if there's a lot of grimy snow around on the ground. Lift wipers off windscreen when you park, if it's cold.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sat Nav thing is a good point. A lot of small roads up the mountains become pistes in the winter and of course the sat nav doesn't know that. In the mountains, in the dark, some sat navy can give amusing routes. Map is useful if you don't know the way.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
my visitors thought they knew the way, having driven it before. But he was so fascinated to find that the satnav found "Bisanne 1500" in Calais that they just left it on. My niece was driving, hubby asleep, when she went through a long tunnel she didn't remember (it was actually the tunnel on the autoroute south from Geneva towards Annecy). That wasn't a stupid route, though it's not one I would suggest. But things went really wrong when they were then directed up some mountain roads which, although not pistes, are not passable in winter. It was foggy, they were tired, they'd lost all sense of direction. Eventually they muddled their way along a forestry road which would normally have been a metre deep in snow by Christmas and is never ploughed, but which was luckily passable (the car had snow tyres) as the snow levels were lower than normal.

Suss out your best route, write a list of key waypoints, have a picture of where you're heading. Don't blindly trust the sat nav.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
do folk carry the two breatherliser kits as decreed in french law ???
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
no, the law's not in effect - just forget it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, cheers , one less thing to worry about , driving out for the first time in january , looking forward to a petit adventure Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My husband swears by gardening gloves for putting on snow chains- protect your fingers but good grip on wet chains.

Also head torch is pretty essential.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you are travelling with the kids then the most essential item is a sense of humour....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A long-handled brush for clearing the windscreen is useful - long handled so you can reach both sides if one is against a wall or drift! I have also wielded a kitchen tongs to good effect to extract a ticket at a tollbooth without leaving my seat Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I believe, although if I'm wrongh I'm sure someone will correct me, that it's compulsary to have a high viz vest for everone in the car. I know this was mentioned earlier but it wasn't clear that you need one for everyone in the car. I'd also suggest a spare set of bulbs for the car.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I have also wielded a kitchen tongs to good effect to extract a ticket at a tollbooth without leaving my seat

Laughing lazy, or what??

@wills_h, I think in France you only strictly need one for the driver. But it's sensible to have one for everybody, clearly.
snow report
@pam w, thanks, I've never actually checked but was told you needed one for everyone in the car. As you say sensible to have one for everyone there anyway Smile
snow report
This might help:
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/driving-abroad-whats-new-2012.html
snow conditions
Quote:

@pam w, thanks, I've never actually checked but was told you needed one for everyone in the car. As you say sensible to have one for everyone there anyway

Don't forget to keep it in the car, not the boot.
latest report
welshskier wrote:

Don't forget to keep it in the car, not the boot.

Correct - they have to be in the cabin by law
ski holidays
rofl @ tongs

spare hi viz, spare bulbs (and a torch, and a screwdriver) are things worth carrying anyway, not just carrying for the purpose of being legal. and a triangle for those going via germany (not just carry, but also compulsory to use, if you have to stop by side of road/autobahn).

bulbs only ever seem to blow when it's cold and dark. most of mine have blown in November here, in Innsbruck, Arabba, when cold and snowy, and once had to blag a screwdriver from an Esso station.
snow conditions
LOVE the tongs idea.
snow report
I have a vision of leaning over with my tongs, grabbing the ticket and then having it blown out and scampering around trying to catch it.

Though actually, as I have a telepeage tag, I don't do tickets..... wink
ski holidays
Drinks, snacks, sweets etc
snow report
Pork Pies.
snow report
. . .never had to use it but always carry a couple of copies of the ‘constat amiable d’accident’ form on my French Carp fishing adventures . .

http://cartraveldocs.com/constat-amiable-daccident-automobile/

Have heard stories of insurers not paying up without one . . .and if you have a smack in the middle of nowhere, your options can be limited if they drive off toute de suite

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 23-11-15 21:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
You are all brilliant! I have a great list together now, thank you.

I might give the tongs a miss - but do think it's a brilliant idea!! Very Happy

Oh and the sense of humour, suggested for travelling with kids, might last until the 7 bridge (from
Cardiff)!

Thanks again! X
snow report
@Belch, thanks for that, have printed a form.
latest report
Don't know if its been mentioned but in France anyway you can get fined for having a Sat Nav with speed camera locations activated . . .so switch this function off, or do it quick if you see flashing blue lights in the mirror . . .

and re hi viz vest this is for all occupants and they need to be instantly accessible (ie. in the door /seat pockets) not in the boot etc . . .I also carry copies of V5 / Ownership docs / UK Licence / Breakdown cover the lot - as a UK driver you are a target for the usually moody gendarmerie nationale

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 23-11-15 23:01; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Heres some general stuff I posted about driving to La Plagne last year

Quote:
ONE Golden Rule when doing the drive.

If you need to fill the car up everyone goes to the loo,
if you need to stop everyone goes to the loo and fill the car up.

Do not stop unless the Golden Rule above applies!

Best for overnight stops in France arrive late, leave early, so clean, en suite and near motorway and cheap is what counts. http://www.hotel-bb.com/
Chains essential practice putting them on etc. Unless you go more than 1 week/season winter tyres outrageously expensive, but if you are going to change your tyres quite often worth looking at. Carrying chains is a legal requirement for all French resorts.

Hi Vis vest and triangle are legally required now, vest must be within reach of driver. (I got vests in poundshop!)

Common sense checks on car before you go. ALWAYS make sure your washer bottle is full and with stronger than usual mixture.

Ideally NO roof box adds £££ to fuel cost but needs to be compared to ski hire cost/convenience don’t forget noise factor sitting near a low whistle for 10 hours is a bit tiring. Your call!

Worth investing in DVD player for back seat passengers (if not built in!)

Cushions from home always used by my lot to get cosy!

Have driven overnight once never again! The €40 for some hours in a hotel is worth every penny in comparison!

The route, see this thread
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1090692&highlight=route#1090692

Moneysavers

Take a packed lunch picnic. Don’t buy motorway food!
Don’t fill up on the motorway unless mid journey there are supermarkets near the motorway!
Channel Tunnel frequent traveller tickets. Cost is for 5 basic return journeys, my Bruv in Law saves money with only 3 trips a year because peak dates are so expensive!
Some snowHeads swear by using Tesco vouchers
Sometimes ferry is cheaper but the time spent on it you could be closer to the snow!

unless you live within a couple of hours of the ferry, do it in two hits or you'll spend the first coupls of days of your holiday quite tired. We love Dijon for a stop - on the route and beautiful for an evenign stroll and a meal

All the the port info says it is now legal to carry a breathaliser. Maybe this is just northern regions but I wouldn't risk it. The French Rozzers love fining the English near Calias. Get a kit from amazon though -so much cheaper than on deck shop on Pay and Row.

Leave the handbrake off and in gear for the week.
Buying snowchains at a hypermarche in France iis cheaper than hiring in England.

Get a decent boot liner it you've not got slopeside accomodation or are driving to other ski areas. Car parks are often muddy and dirty and ski boots seem to attract mud outside a car and repel it once inside one.
snow report
Quote:

All the the port info says it is now legal to carry a breathaliser. Maybe this is just northern regions but I wouldn't risk it.

it is a requirement to carry one but there are no sanctions if you don't....... I have a couple, in the bottom of my glove box somewhere. Probably now past their blow-by date.

Can be safely ignored. Pork pies more useful.
snow report
Hi-viz: The legal requirement is for any person exiting the vehicle to be wearing a hi-viz jacket so the minimum is 1. They aren't exactly expensive online though...

Breathalisers: The requirement to carry a breathaliser is on the statute books but not currently enforced with a fine or anything, you will just be told you need to get one.

The French Rozzers love fining the English near Calias: To clarify the French police love fining English people breaking French laws near Calais. I've driven in France many times and never had an issue but hear lots of people complain about the French police stopping them just to make money...when all they were doing was 160kph (100mph) on the motorway.
latest report
. . .LOL . . .makes sense when the speed limit is 80 (130kph) in good weather . . .what do they expect?
ski holidays
@Belch, people to stick to their rules or pay their fines. lol.
snow report
We carry hi viz jackets for however many we may have in our car, so maybe four or five as if you end up standing by the side of the car it would be a shame if the driver was missed in the yellow jacket but all the passengers were mown down. And it really makes sense to have them in the car in the UK too.
I got back to Portsmouth the other year, OH net e at the dock and then on our way home, on a darkish bit of road we came across an old girl with a broken down car, so got out to help, immediately put our vests on, and could be seen, but she was pretty hard to spot.
snow report
@Pamski, we've got one for each of us too, and possibly even one that fits the dog.
snow conditions
I keep taking mine out every time I take the car in for its TüV. They sling a new one in. So now I have one for every passenger that could fit in my car for the total outlay of 50p. Got the first one from surpluss from a friend's landrover club that did a bulk buy. The guys at dover port can bog off trying to sell me them at £7 each (as well as telling me it;s the law to have beam deflectors on my LHD car to drive on the continent rolling eyes and all the other gubbins with 250% markups).
Reminds me, I need to replace the first aid kit, since that is a legal requirement in Germany I think (and probably several other EU/EEA nations), and got a warning on the last TüV, since mine is dated about 2003.
ski holidays
I had better chop one up for Coco. When our son broke down in his Audi the other summer there were four of them in the car and the dog and they all had to stand around at times waiting for various breakdown vehicles, but I think they carried the dog, their's is rather small. They all had the hi viz vests on. The car had emission fault, nothing actually wrong with it it transpired, just a faulty sensor. Or was it a naughty VW sensor!
latest report
Mjit wrote:
Hi-viz: The legal requirement is for any person exiting the vehicle to be wearing a hi-viz jacket so the minimum is 1. They aren't exactly expensive online though...

Breathalisers: The requirement to carry a breathaliser is on the statute books but not currently enforced with a fine or anything, you will just be told you need to get one.

The French Rozzers love fining the English near Calias: To clarify the French police love fining English people breaking French laws near Calais. I've driven in France many times and never had an issue but hear lots of people complain about the French police stopping them just to make money...when all they were doing was 160kph (100mph) on the motorway.

We spent the summer driving around France and saw one speed camera on our whole journey- on the last run in to the Calais ferry terminal. I must have seen one there about ten times over years and every time there's been an English vehicle that's been stopped. Anyone who's spent a significant amount of time driving on French motorways will know its not usually the cars with UK plates whizzing by you and tailgating you to get by. In fact, when I return back to the UK after a month or so driving in Europe, I always feel the difference in how much safer and courteous the Britiish driver is in comparison to other areas in the EU, despite how overcrowded our roads are.

To be fair, I think the British police are the same. There are always speed cameras on the roads leading to the US bases in East Anglia and they love fining the Yanks.

But you are right - rules are there for a reason and speeders should expect to be dealt with.
latest report
We drive down with 2 kids every year, normally around New Year time.

Depending on how old your kids are I would say them having a tablet to watch is a great idea. Ours have Nexus 7's which you can pick up for around £100 at the moment. We also have a portable 500 GB hard drive that broadcasts a wifi data hotspot. The kids connect to it in the car and have access to all of the cartoons / films / tv programmes that you put on it before you set off. I'd also recommend a pair of on-ear headphones for each child. It means you dont have to listen to what they are watching, and they dont hear your...

Audiobooks! We never leave home without having 20+ hours of book to listen to. The Harry Potter series read by Stephen Fry are brilliant, we also like Dean Koontz books and recently started the Kingkiller Chronicles (which the kids also love and bug us to put on even on a 2 minute journey!).

If you have 2 kids, Novotels will be your friend. Good value, always have family rooms and all include breakfast (a rarity in France).

We take the journey easy and stop twice - it makes the holiday longer and the driving less stressful. This year we are staying in Troyes for one night, then in Lyon for xmas eve and day nights followed by an early departure on boxing day to hopefully beat the worst traffic and get in an afternoons skiing on empty slopes.

Our first services stop always involves buying Carambars and Vichy mints. A staple food when driving in France!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy