Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Allenheads, Weardale, Yad Moss & Raise Snow - 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/

webcam looking a bit better this morning, though no one to run the tow. Heavy snow tomorrow.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some pics from Raise yesterday over on winterhighland

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/displaypic.php?id=32766,4209#start
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fabulous skiing being reported at Raise again today.

Seems it's just Yad moss that is missing out. Looks plenty on cross fell and Dun Fell so perhaps just a couple of hundred feet too low at the moment. Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great skiing weather last week on Raise. Snow now rather compact and the approach to the Members hut is now icy. The tow will run again today.

A milder blip on Tuesday but then colder again into the foreseeable future. Possibility of snow further east later in the week.

After a poor start it's become a good season at Raise and a very good season further north. Disappointing so far in the Pennines.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Raise is operational tomorrow. Should have caught lots more snow today.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yad Moss will run tomorrow. As usual this winter the heavy snow has managed to avoid the north Pennines so expect thin and grassy conditions.
http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/index.php/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No word yet on whether Yad or Weardale will run tomorrow....Cover looks thicker on Weardale upper runs cam (lower cam not working?) than at Yad Moss.

Hoping to get some Pennines turns in on Sunday - either lift assisted or skinning.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CheersPeter S - posts crossed in cyberspace Laughing!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Say hi if you do get to YM.

I'll be wearing red helmet, blue goretex......with silver paint and oil stain highlights. I'll either be in the ticket office or handing out Pomas. If skiing I'll be falling about a lot trying to telemark. snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers Peter S! Will catch up one of these days - but looks like we'll be at Weardale tomorrow as we are members there wink.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Raise, Yad Moss and Weardale all operational today. Day 10 at YM, which is a bit poor so far. Conditions are thin in the Pennines but some good skiing at the top where posted. Lots of derpth in the Lake District.

Warming up later this week.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weardale was absolutely brilliant today - far better than expected:
- Good cover of 3-4" of fresh snow, top to bottom.
- Fresh tracks to be had.
- Blue sky & no wind.
- Some steep off piste bits in condition (eg a good line on Black Scar).
- Only about 15 people there - where was everyone??

The snow warmed up and got a bit sticky & skied off in parts by about 2pm (& the F1 tow track got a bit muddy & bare at the bottom) but a great day out Very Happy.

A few pics:

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 6-03-16 21:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fabulous skiing today at Raise, according to the reports and the Facebook pics. Yad Moss was also OK in the sun. More snow than yesterday although it got rather worn at the bottom by afternoon. No rocks however so no damage.

Looks like the breakdown arrives on Thursday. Wouldn't bet against colder weather later in March though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Warming up later this week then a gradual cool down next week?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helvellyn direct, the 55dergree wall down to Red Tarn was skied yesterday. Video on the LDSC Facebook page .
latest report
Yet another great day bon Raise reported. Sunny afternoon with spring snow. Most runs complete. The tow will run on Friday.
snow report
Humidity up here currently a very low 25% snowHead
latest report
https://www.facebook.com/craig.vanrooy/posts/10154074100313623

Link to a video from Raise yesterday. Poor forecast today but the tow should run tomorrow Sunday.
latest report
Raise tow line is now broken but still plenty of snow on Presidents run. Still time hopefully for more snow before the end of the season, but perhaps not this weekend.

All UK skiing attention now turns to Scotland.
ski holidays
Heavy snow showers all day today in the Lakes. Looks a bit too mild south of the border next week however.

Fresh snow at glencoe today. Looks to be quite cool next 5 days.
snow report
Wrong ! Raise was operational again yesterday. 25 skiers.
snow conditions
The tow is running again today on Raise.
Cover looks quite good and the sunny spring weather and lightish winds should give good skiing.

Its panning out into another excellent ski season in the Lake District. The fifth or sixth in a row Cool
snow report
helvellyn direct over Easter.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/articles/can-you-ski-in-the-lake-district/
latest report
Great article Peter S (ta for posting - must do that run one day...) - though I think it's more than stretching the purpose of the well-known Lake District fell top assessor a bit to suggest that his/her purpose is to assist the local ski industry Laughing
Quote:
The Lakes are not known for their snow cover and conditions can vary wildly from day to day, but the park authority is keen to invest in the sport so it employs a fell-top assessor to report on conditions on Helvellyn every day during the winter....
snow conditions
And another vid on the BBC from 11th April.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-36016527
ski holidays
Quote:
I have to say those photos look to be stretching the definition of 'ski touring' somewhat
Ski touring = skinning uphill and skiing back down. Er, pray tell what part of 'ski touring' were we not doing??

Anyway, it may be May tomorrow but we had fun (not??) ski touring again today at Yad Moss Very Happy.

Thin cover; quite nice where drifted; combat skiing back to the car - amazing for 30th April!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 1-05-16 8:38; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
mountainaddict,

Are you kidding? That doesn't look like ski touring to me - 30th April or not... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Bergmeister It wasn't....I've done more ski touring at Ikea Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good effort. Not really enough to run the tow but they had a good yesterday up at raise. snowHead
latest report
Quote:
Good effort. Not really enough to run the tow
Yes, the tow track was very bare at the bottom and pretty thin elsewhere. -Also, the snow warmed up to slow and a bit sticky - so not brilliant but still nice to be out Smile.
snow report
I'm thinking of joining the Weardale club this year as we're due our first baby in October so don't think we'll be going anywhere overseas this year, but can probably ask our parents to baby sit for a few hours whilst we nip up the road from Harrogate!

To those who are already members, how many days does it tend to open / be skiiable? Would a couple of Saturdays be a decent season, or a poor one?

I know that this is one of those impossible questions, but I'm asking it nonetheless!
ski holidays
Afternoon Kingofthec: Mrs MA and I have been Weardale members for six or seven years and, working full time, are also stuck with mainly weekend visits.

In that time we have skied between two and six lift-served days per winter - though sometimes we have been away (Alps etc) when the lifts have been running. A further point is that a Weardale ticket gets you a discounted day ticket at Yad Moss in Teesdale, which we have taken advantage of as that can be open when Weardale is shut (or vice-versa).

Winter 2012-13 was epic. We did six days at Weardale (including three in April, including lift-served night skiing - in total daylight(!)), six at Yad Moss and seven days' ski touring.Will we ever beat 19 days on snow in one north Pennines winter??

Someone like PeterS might be along with more scientific info. regarding weekend ski days each winter wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 1-09-16 18:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Thanks for the great response @mountainaddict - I reckon I'm sold on that, especially given that the cost of a season pass is about the same as one hour at Xscape, and, I would imagine, provides a lot more opportunities!

The only outdoor skiing on snow (i.e. not dryslope) I've done in England is at the Adventure Centre in Halifax, so this is a whole new avenue of thought for me!
latest report
Yes the Pennine season is, I'm afraid, highly variable and impossible to predict. Best not to expect too much and then be ......pleasantly surprised !

In the last 40 years the worst season at Yad Moss has been as short as two days whilst the best have been in excess of 50! In recent years the Lake District has had much more snow with 40 days of good skiing last year on Raise, mainly after the end of January.

However the Pennines don't need deep cover because of the grassy slopes, so you can safely use your newest skis....just not the clothes you would mind having oil dripped on Smile

Both Weardale and Yad Moss have powerful pistebashers which have made a big difference on marginal days. In good conditions I would have to concede that Weardale has by the far the longest runs top to bottom (up to a mile ?) and some amazing terrain. The downside is poorer access and a slightly lower elevation but a better north east facing aspect. Nice to have the choice between the two !

Season tickets for Yad Moss will go on sale next month , probably £55 for an adult and £10 for a child. Adult season ticket holders from last year will pay only £40.

If you are not a season ticket holder then we do sell day tickets although we may limit these if we think it is going to be very busy (we didn't have to last year). Day ticket prices at Yad Moss are likely to be £20 at the weekend and £15 mid week (outside public holidays). So a season ticket pays for itself after two days......that how confident we are that it will be a long season Smile

As MA says there is a reciprocal agreement between Weardale SC and Yad Moss. Both have quite active Facebook groups.

May it snow forever Laughing
snow conditions
Great, thanks to you as well @Peter S!
snow conditions
Cheers Kingofthec.

Do you know how many days Yad Moss (& Weardale??) operated last winter Peter S?

I'm sure we've skied the Pennines in November (albeit the now defunct Harwood slope) - so with a bit of luck we could be underway in 2 months wink
ski holidays
The tow ran on 10 days last year at Yad Moss. About the same at Weardale ?

If you scroll back through the facebook pages you will get an idea of conditions.

First day of the season was 22nd November last year .
ski holidays
Great - Facebook page now joined!
ski holidays
I saw some pix on a pal's FB feed from a work party putting a shiny (new ?) looking bullwheel back onto the top tower at Yad Moss. Kudos, that must have taken some brawn !

snow report
Its a refurbished bull wheel. The original one, nearly 50 years old, is past its 'use before' date.

Pylon 7 has also been thoroughly refurbished this year. The arms were taken off I early summer, grit blasted and re-galvanised. The pylon itself was grit blasted in situ, then painted with 5 coats. Hopefully we wont need to revisit it in the foreseeable future.

Meanwhile some long sections of tow track fencing have been replaced using oversize 8 foot posts and new 5 foot chestnut paling. Hopefully this arrangement will be less prone to blowing over, breaking or getting pushed into the ground by the weight of snow on top.

I think the tow was turned at the weekend so we are getting closer. I think there may be more fencing to finish and perhaps some grass cutting. After that it will be a case of fitting the pomas, once the first skiing looks likely.

Fingers crossed.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy