Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm new!!

Poster: A snowHead
ok brilliant thanks for the ski boot tips @blahblahblah ! I think I'll just hire some for this trip then, I thought they would be pretty rubbish from a hire shop but good to know that I can still get a decent pair there.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Ok thanks @NeddySkiGoon I have no idea what they are, she just said I have some boots you can borrow Puzzled I guess it's worth investing in a decent pair of Ski boots, I guess hired ones are pretty crappy too?!

Hire boots the first time. They are a big investment and, if you like skiing and get the hang of it, the boots and skis you need will change pretty quickly. Hire shops will have boots which are perfectly fine to learn in. If they don't fit then they will always change them. If you take your mate's old ones you are stuck, maybe with ill-fitting or painful boots which you won't find out until you get on the snow. If you happen to have identical feet AND get the chance to try them at a snowdome or dry slope then borrowing boots may be no worse than hire ones.

After a week or two, if you know skiing is going to be part of your life then boots are the No1 purchase to get right.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK this is great thanks so much for your advice @Col_the_Yeti hired ones it is Very Happy
I'm actually starting to get excited about the trip now! Before I was nervous and down right scared by the whole thing.
Thanks for making this enjoyable!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Where is it you are going on your trip @JollyKelly,
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've been looking at http://french-alps.meribel.net/ we're all new or newish to skiing so not sure where's best. Any recommendations?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As you're a beginner you probably won't need goggles. I use sunglasses (Cat 4 cos I've got sensitive eyes) unless the weather is bad.

A good buy in goggles as well as the Lidl ones (which were excellent a couple of yrs ago) are Sinner - I have a pair that were about £40 and are superb. The main thing is that they are double-glazed - stops 'em misting up, more likely if you're a newb as you'll be going slower and stopping more.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Don't, whatever you do, wear that T shirt for skiing. Cotton is absolutely wrong. OK for apres ski, but likely to be covered up by a big jumper......

Eh? never worn anything but cotton as a first layer, more often than not, it's just a cotton t-shirt under my ski jacket especially in March.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is great thanks @martinm I thought goggles were an absolute must, so this is great to know!! This is turning out not to be as expensive as I first thought!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When the bad weather comes in, goggles are a must!, one year in Italy, we needed goggles just to get to the pub!, I have found Sinner goggles to be good, decent quality without paying for the name on the side, you should find all you need at Lidl, Aldi or Decathlon, the only disappointing ski wear that I have had has been from the more expensive end of the market.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fab thanks @tangowaggon someone also suggested TKMaxx so I'm going to try there are as well! Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tangowaggon wrote:
Quote:

Don't, whatever you do, wear that T shirt for skiing. Cotton is absolutely wrong. OK for apres ski, but likely to be covered up by a big jumper......

Eh? never worn anything but cotton as a first layer, more often than not, it's just a cotton t-shirt under my ski jacket especially in March.

Not the modern way. Cotton holds perspiration, becomes damp and can get colder as the day goes on. Modern fabrics and merino wool "wick" the moisture away allowing it to evaporate. Maybe time to change the habits of a lifetime...? wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Aldi web site has this years offerings, but no date yet. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just been in into Lidl. They have goggles, midlayers and 42% merino baselayers for women. No such luck for the men yet.
Most items around the £7.99 mark.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JollyKelly, I would definitely go and do a number of lessons on a dry slope is it Cwmbran? This is what myself and the family did earlier this year for our first trip, it is definitely harder to ski than the real stuff, but as people have stated you'll will have the basics and it will save on starting at the complete starter lessons on your trip and sking straight away.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

As you're a beginner you probably won't need goggles.

If you are wearing a helmet goggles are a must. Sunglasses and helmets IMHO is one of the biggest skiing fashion faux pas!
latest report
One thing I'll add is, don't feel too pressured into having lessons before you go. The most fun I've ever had skiing was that first week learning to ski. Its great fun, especially if you're with friends. Choose a resort with a good ski school and good nursery slopes with easy intermediate slopes to move onto. You won't need a mega resort (yet). Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 20-11-15 16:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
FastCarver74 wrote:
If you are wearing a helmet goggles are a must. Sunglasses and helmets IMHO is one of the biggest skiing fashion faux pas!

I don't wear a helmet Toofy Grin

TBH I'd rather get some sun and air on my face than wear goggles just for the sake of fashion - and let's be honest, if you're a newb you ain't gonna look super cool whatever you wear Razz
snow report
ha ha thanks @martinm yes I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be looking 'cool' I think I should wear a helmet as I'm a newbie and will probably be rubbish.
snow conditions
@JollyKelly, Only 8 people on the planet look cool in ski gear, and not one of them cares.
snow report
@JollyKelly,

You'll be renting skis, so the incremental cost of renting boots is tiny. Don't bother borrowing your friend's boots. Just rent them. they will be a pain, and possibly cost a fortune, to transport them too.
Helmet - You rent this easily, so don't buy (yet)
Ski jacket - Buy a cheapish one, or better still borrow. No need to spend >£100
Salopettes - Buy cheapish, or borrow.
Goggles - Yes, buy som,e of these. You should find some perfectly adequate ones for about £20. I've just seen loads on Amazon.Don't spend much more at this stage.
Thermals - Cheap ones will eb absolutely fine. Merino wool may be nice, but it's not essential. - Also depends when you are going skiing. January and February need more/warmer clothes. March/April you probably won't need much more than a T-shirt and your ski jacket.
Gloves - Yes, buy a pair (or borrow). £15-30 should do you nicely.

Quote:

Hired ski boot are fine for your first trip, get the middle or better package. They should feel tight, not comfy
I disagree - For a beginner I think snug (not tight) and not uncomfortable is required. Far too many people get put off skiing by wearing miserably uncomfortable boots.
snow report
blahblahblah wrote:
@JollyKelly, Only 8 people on the planet look cool in ski gear, and not one of them cares.

I can't speak for the other seven but I do.
ski holidays
I cant speak for the remaining 6, but me and @T Bar, certainly 'rock it'! I put a lot of effort into colour co-ordination and avoiding anything that clashes, which also involves not getting onto lifts with uncool folk (anyone wearing bogner!!) Happy
snow conditions
Wow thanks @foxtrotzulu clear and to the point Very Happy turns out I can hire a lot more than I thought! on average does anyone know how much it's likely to be?
ski holidays
@JollyKelly,

All what foxtrotzulu, has said above is good sound advice. Buying cheaper gear is still sound as it becomes your spare gear if you are hooked, if you want to keep skiing in this country be it indoors or dryslope again cheaper gear is ideal for this as well.

Check Decathlon TKMax for items like gloves and goggles cheap prices but do the job without frills.

Learning on a dryslope is cheaper than a fridge but try and get a few sessions in at the fridge as well prior to going away, snow is quicker than plastic and you need to adjust to the increased speed.

Skis boots helmet rent, do not buy you have absolutely no idea what you need, and what you need if you get hooked will change quickly especially if skiing all year back here ( highly recommend going to fridge/dryslope a few times a month with a lesson at least bi-monthly ). If you do that after your second holiday consider buying boots from a good bootfitter.
snow report
Two more points:

Have some lessons before you go if you want, but I wouldn't worry too much. Dry ski slopes and snowdomes can be unbvelievably depressing places and a world away from the sheer unadulterated pleasure of skiing on real snow on a real mountain.

Do take a decent pair of sunglasses with you. It may be fashion faux par to ski with helmet and sunnies (God knows why), but on a warm sunny day it's far nicer. You'll need the sunnies anyway for lunch etc.
snow conditions
martinm wrote:
FastCarver74 wrote:

I don't wear a helmet Toofy Grin

TBH I'd rather get some sun and air on my face than wear goggles just for the sake of fashion - and let's be honest, if you're a newb you ain't gonna look super cool whatever you wear Razz
I agree with all of that. Goggles really only need to come out in flat light conditions, so sunglasses are easier for a newbie, and they already have them. Also they won't be on any steep blacks so they can still ski with glasses on easy slopes, that are groomed and no moguls.
ski holidays
PaulC1984 wrote:
I cant speak for the remaining 6, but me and @T Bar, certainly 'rock it'! I put a lot of effort into colour co-ordination and avoiding anything that clashes, which also involves not getting onto lifts with uncool folk (anyone wearing bogner!!) Happy

Hell yeah i care, raising hand as one of the 8 please.
In fact i may make up a few 1/8 patches for my jacket.
snow report
@JollyKelly,
The intro to this thread is a pretty good primer on basic cheap ski clothing.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
essex wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:

And me. Could there actually be more than 8? Shocked
latest report
martinm wrote:
essex wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:

And me. Could there actually be more than 8? Shocked

I hope not otherwise the 4 of us (so far) will just blend in with the rest of the trash around, and that just won't do I'm afraid Happy
latest report
"There can only be 8!"
snow conditions
essex wrote:
"There can only be 8!"

I'm in!!
*strikes sexy ski pose*
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
@JollyKelly,
The intro to this thread is a pretty good primer on basic cheap ski clothing.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621

That's not a bad primer, but some things are massively overcomplicated. I've never heard of anyone carrying a spare hat with them, let alone a spare pair of socks! Most skiers barely take a spare pair in the suitcases, let alone in the bakcpacj/back pocket etc. I've never needed underwear, base layer, mid layer and an outer layer. I'd self-combust! Do bear in mind that even if you get your clothing absolutely right you will probably still be a little cold at some times and a little hot at other times. IME you stand a greater risk of being too hot than too cold most of the time.
latest report
Thank for all your amazing advice so far, you've all been so helpful and I'm so grateful for that!
We've been looking at places to ski, but for a bunch of newbies we have no idea where we should go? What time of year? Any suggestions?
snow conditions
JollyKelly wrote:
We have no idea where we should go? What time of year? Any suggestions?

Surely there's a week between end of December of middle of march that suits all of your group? If not, thats your first discussion. Then get on a site like Crystal and start looking for a place you'd "like" to go. Half the battle is finding somewhere that excites you. Once you've found a few places, run it past the snowheads and they might be able to steer you towards the better ones!!
Be willing to spend £1000 on your holiday, then try to avoid spending that! Smile)
ski holidays
@JollyKelly,
JollyKelly
user

Thank for all your amazing advice so far, you've all been so helpful and I'm so grateful for that!
We've been looking at places to ski, but for a bunch of newbies we have no idea where we should go? What time of year? Any suggestions?

not sure if you have stated or not, but if you are all newbies go with a tour operator and not DIY, they will be able to give best advice in resort regarding ski hire etc.

with regards to where to go and when, all depends on the people you are going with, if you say you are all beginners I would not advise meribel (or any of the 3valleys/large ski areas), as much as I love the 3valleys it will be expensive (lift passes/lessons) and wasted on beginners, better off going to a smaller resort that still have some british tour operators going to them les carroz has good reviews, but others on here will be able to offer others to look at.

would definitely try out on dry slope/fridge before you go, even on a taster session to get the feel of putting boots and skis on I have done that with our daughters and they were hooked from taster sessions on a dry slope to since qualifying to be able to ski on their own in a fridge, as I did not want to take them on their first ski trip in feb and them completely hating it, I have seen that before when I did seasons.

personally I would by a helmet, you can purchase decent helmets online (amazon et al)for the equivalent cost of hiring (a well used one) for a week

when to go? if not tied down to school holidays mid march is a good time to go, generally good snow around, and longer sunnier days, so not standing around in lessons in the middle of January freezing to death!!!!

lots of decisions to be made, happy choosing!!!!
snow report
"buy" not "by" doh!!!!
snow report
Quote:

just noticed how to put other peoples comments in a box inside a box!!!!!
snow conditions
@JollyKelly, I am loving your enthusiasm and excitement. Learning to ski is the most fun you will ever have with your clothes on, and you are in for a treat. Beware. Once the addiction kicks in there is no way out.

The most important thing for you in choice of resort for you first trip is the ski school set-up. I see yu mentioned Meribel as a possibility. Well, in my view, Meribel has some of the best lift-served skiing on the planet and is the place of dreams. It is a huge and expensive area, most of which you will not see as a beginner, least of all ski. Start somewhere small, cheaper (no such thing as cheap skiing!) and user-friendly. Some of the smaller, gentler Italian or Austrian resorts might suit. I am sure people will rush along with recommendations of their own, and that will be tricky. If you are able to book late and can be flexible there are wonderful bargains to be had in late January and early February. The same applies to the later season in March and even April. Do you know about chalets? These can be great value as your food and drink are mostly taken care of and you have other people to talk to and compare experiences with.

Do not spend a fortune on gear. As time goes on you will discover what works for you and what you need. The only thing I would say is buy Goretex gloves. Falling over can be wet and you want dry hands.

Enjoy.

snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

but if you are all newbies go with a tour operator and not DIY, they will be able to give best advice in resort regarding ski hire etc.

I don't think going with a tour operator is a bad idea but the 'advice' they give on things like ski hire, ski schools etc. is not disinterested and may not be the best as they often receive commission from the purveyors of these services.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy