Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Current conditions in Zermatt (and Cervinia)

Poster: A snowHead
We will be in Cervinia for the first week of April. I've been checking the interactive piste map and note that on several recent occasions the lifts have been closed, esp on the Italian side. I hear that this is not unusual.

Does anyone have any stats on this? Eg Do high winds cause lift closures one day in 5, 10? Do the closures typically last a morning, a day, several days? What kind of windspeeds will stop the lifts? Are all pistes affected or do they keep the lower ones open?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At the moment I think it's dark.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chomski, you are asking weather questions. Sure stats are kept, but you know, weather.

Answers then are; yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. Too high and gusty. Maybe. If they can.

Ultimately, you'd have to think that they wouldn't have built a multi-million franc infrastructure if they didn't have at least a reasonable expectation that they could operate it often enough that they'd be able to build a business around it.

Wouldn't you?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name My worry is that resorts that invest millions of francs have, by definition, a vested interest in not frightening off the punters, and not drawing attention to any shortcomings. "Come to snowsure Cervinia" may be a fair and attractive advertisement but if the rest of the sentence should truthfully read "and experience week long white-outs" then I'd like to know now. Hence the post. And, yes, the weather is the weather and not very predictable. But once the weather has happened it is completely predictable and recording what happened allows us to summarize it statistically and make comparisons with other places.

Statistics are statistics and can help us make our minds up. if I have some sense of the probabilities of some outcomes beforehand then I'd rather get my head round them before I go and perhaps lower my expectations and make contingency plans.

That said, probability is also probability, and random. If the chance of a week long wind storm is only 1 in a hundred it doesn't mean we won't be unlucky. And of course...

Whether the weather is cold
or whether the weather is hot,
we'll weather the weather whatever the weather,
whether we like it or not.

...But I'd still like to know that probability.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Back in Zermatt for a few days for what might be my last skiing here for the season. I am back next month for Zermatt Unplugged but that is usually walking and music for us rather than skiing. There has certainly been enough snow and the pistes seemed in good shape but I thought I would have a check on the itineraries today.

Frustratingly Stockhorn is still closed. I have no idea why it has not opened. It surely can not be lack of snow now. It almost looks like they are not going to open it at all this season. The itineraries off the top of Rothorn did not open last season and are not open at present. However the markers are there (with a rope across of course) which makes it look like they “could” open.

One itinerary on Rothorn I don’t often do but I went down today is number 18. It is the one on the far left of the map. It has unbelievably good deep snow and has not had loads of people down it. The other itinerary that is open on that mountain is number 10. That is the one on the skiers left just down from Blauherd station. A lot of people do that so it is well tracked and even icy in places. It is still worth doing though.

On Schwarzsee annoyingly itineraries 59 and 60, which were open, were closed today. Number 58 which ends up going tightly through the tress was open and I did that. It was great – it had seen a lot of traffic but was in good shape with lots of snow.

The two itineraries down from Furggsattel ( numbers 67 and 68 ) are in absolutely superb shape although I did scrape my skis a couple of times because rocks that are usually exposed had a moderate covering of snow from yesterday. I was still making fresh tracks in deep snow this afternoon.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well I was prescient about the Rothorn high itineraries. Numbers 16 and 17 were opened today. They were in fantastic shape. Deep, deep snow and lots of opportunities to make fresh tracks. Of course it also meant the more protruding of the rocks had a small covering and so were easy to scrape Sad . But that is a small price. There had obviously been a few people down them but all day long I never once saw anyone ahead of or behind me.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nothing open in Cervinia according to the Zermatt lift co website - surely it must be a technical glitch?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
franga wrote:
Nothing open in Cervinia according to the Zermatt lift co website - surely it must be a technical glitch?

When it shows that it simply means the link from Zermatt to Cervinia is closed. The Cervinia lifts are all open to those based in Cervinia.

Not sure why the link is not open - it has been open the last few days. I am not up on the mountain today because I am ski touring the next couple of days and thought I would give my legs a rest. The weather website is not showing particularly strong winds. However they want to be very sure they can get you back before letting you over.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @JohnMo, wind reading is only 28K/H at Plateau Rosa but they may be expecting it to pick up later.

I'm out on Saturday - weather forecast looks lovely.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
franga wrote:
Thanks @JohnMo, wind reading is only 28K/H at Plateau Rosa but they may be expecting it to pick up later.

I'm out on Saturday - weather forecast looks lovely.

Excellent timing. Same as my son and girlfriend plus four others who are arriving on Friday to throw me out of our apartment in Täsch and back to England.

You should have a great time. As you say it looks like blue sky days. The temperature looks set to be low enough to keep the snow in good condition but not the biting cold we have had up high the last couple of days. And the whole area on both the Swiss and Italian sides is in great shape. Bizarrely I am jealous of you (and my son!) even though I am typing this from a bar in Zermatt.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@JohnMo According to the cervino website about 50% of runs on the Italian side are closed. http://www.cervinia.it/pages/IMPIANTI_E_PISTE_CERVINIA_i_en/447
Is that also a glitch?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chomski,
We skied Cervinia from Zermatt yesterday. Everything was open and the pistes were in excellent condition. We skied Zermatt today but the links to Cervinia were open and, from the Skiclub report, they had a great day with one group skiing down to Valtournenche so there must have been a fair amount open!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Welshcakes. Well that's good to hear. We are heading out in a few weeks time. Never been there before, so I get a little anxious when the live ski info shows lifts shut.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chomski, you'll struggle to find a better all-round ski area anywhere.

Let me know if you need any recommendations.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Franga. Thanks for the offer. We are a group of 23, all ages, all abilities. I thought we might treat ourselves to lunch at Chalet Etoile one day. I hear it gets fairly crowded so booking is a good idea. A couple of us won't be skiing. Looking on the map, the restaurant appears to be about half a kilometre up from Plan Maison. Is it walkable?
ski holidays
Well that is typical. Flew back from Switzerland last night and the Stockhorn area opens up today for the first time this season! I have no idea why it is so late but anyone heading over to Stockhorn should have a great time - the snow conditions and weather are fantastic at present.
snow report
Perfect weather last week, all lovely and sunny and the snow has been holding up really well.
snow report
@chomski,

Apologies for the late reply but I've not checked site for a few days. I'm in Zermatt now - we skied Cervinia today and had lunch at the Etoile. We turned up without a reservation at 12:30 and they could just about accommodate us (3). The queue had started building by 1 - I would definitely book to be on the safe side. Is it walkable from Plan Maison - it's a bit of a trek to be honest, it depends how determined you are. Not steep if that makes a difference - it also depends what condition the snow on the side of the piste is.

Snow holding up very well - some of the steeper reds around Trockener Steg were a bit scraped with lumps of soft snow this PM but most of the other runs are in really good nick.

Also came across a group of blind skiers with their guides / buddies today. Hats off to them. Very humbling to see.
latest report
@franga, I always booked Etoile when I was there.

Re. blind skiers, I once saw a one legged skier guiding a group around PDS. He was considerable quicker and more stylish then any of the group he was leading. One of the most impressive things I've seen on a ski slope.
snow conditions
@franga, @DrJohn. Thanks for the info. Hope you're having a happy time. Any other tips and breaking news gratefully received
snow conditions
Whoever designed the entry point (including the slope approach) for the new Hirli chair needs a good slap. You have to sidestep within a very short window to get on it - why?
ski holidays
@chomski, the outside terrace of the Etoile is closed on Tuesdays as we discovered today. Staff day off. The indoor restaurant is still open, albeit with a reduced menu.
latest report
@franga, +1
And the Hornli/Hirli runs are probably my favourite in the resort. Maybe it was the only way in which they could fit a chair in?
ski holidays
Is anyone currently out in Cervinia who can report on the current conditions? Heading out on 3rd April for a week. Hope the pistes are holding up in the sunshine Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Anyone any idea why the piste 69 is closed (and all the piste markers are gone), as well as the slope which joins it towards the end off the back of the Hirli chair? I'd be surprised if it's snow cover as it is very good everywhere.

Without encouraging smutty remarks wink I'm a big fan of piste 69 and how close it gets to the base of the Matterhorn so was disappointed to see it out of action. The link being closed off the Hirli chair also meant a long cat track to Furi just to get back on the Matterhorn Express.
ski holidays
@Whitters, I thought that when I was there 2 weeks ago. As you say there are currently no markers or an obvious piste end by the gondola mid-station at Furgg. I'm wondering whether they've turned it into an itinerary run?
snow conditions
@franga, maybe that's the plan, but at the moment there's just a piste closed marker out in the distance where it used to be. I wonder if there has been a rockfall or some other danger blocking the route.
snow report
anyone know how much of the pistes will be open 15 16 and sunday 17th of April? Mainly concerned with reds and blues not off piste conditions
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What are conditions like at present? We're heading up from Cham on Weds/Thurs based on the forecast Toofy Grin
snow report
We are in the resort this week for Zermatt Unplugged (the (pop) music festival). However it does not start until tomorrow so I thought I would get a few hours in this morning (I had to be back at the apartment by one).

Conditions are pretty much what you would expect. The higher up you go and the more north facing you go the better state the piste was in. I only did the Sunnegga and Hohtälli sectors because my time was short. I got up to Blauherd (2571m) and headed down the mountain. I was on the first lift and was the first one heading down – I was really surprised how soft the snow was. Mountain overnight conditions have been below zero so I thought it would be in thaw-freeze condition and would be hard. The piste bashers had had real problems converting the slush into pistes. There were large caterpillar tracks in many places and even one or two bare spots. But of course that is south facing. As you got lower than Sunnegga heading to Patrullarve it was really soft. On my last run I went below Patrullarve and headed into town. As almost no-one else had done this it was deep slush (aka poor man’s powder). It was fun – really good powder or off piste practice.

The top of Rothorn was in great shape – even surprisingly the south facing side for a decent way down. Heading down the other (completely north facing) side to Kumme the pistes were in excellent shape all the way down. Of course everyone realised this so on a generally quiet day those pistes were pretty busy.

Off the top of Hohtälli everything was in good shape. I came off the pistes to come down itinerary 30 (Mittelritz). Sadly that was not so good. It was very heavily tracked which in itself is not a problem but everything had turned into large uneven ice lumps which were not fun to ski.

@skimottaret - you should be fine 15,16 and 17 April. Those are the last three days the full area is open. I would stay off anything from Blauherd down. From the top of Rothorn I would do the Kumme slopes but use the one down to Gant for connecting to other areas only. Hohtälli down to Gant should be fine. I would avoid Gornergrat mountain except for connecting. Schwarzsee I would try but it may get a bit sloppy. By far the best conditions will be up in the Klein Matterhorn section. They should be great all the way down from Klein Mattegorn or Furggsattel to Trockener Steg and down on to Furgg. I am out again first week of May (mainly for walking and biking admittedly) when the only thing open will be Furggsattel down to Trockener Steg and I am confident of having fun. Mind you I have been on those pistes (most of which is on glacier) at the end of May and it was in fine shape.
snow conditions
Skied Cervinia and Zermatt today. ValToureche closed but reasonable snow most other places. The good news ..... It's now snowing heavily apparently set in for the night and forecast says sunny tomorrow PM. Sadly back to the UK tomorrow morning so hope someone on here enjoys it.
snow conditions
I appreciate that early May skiing conditions are not of widespread interest. But we got here on Sunday in the middle of a dump stretching right down the Visp valley. The conditions up top are superb. This is the fortnight in which they do the maintence on the Klein Matterhorn lift. So the only lift open is the Furggsattel one - but the pistes down from there are some of the best in the resort. I have even been getting some fantastic fresh track powder skiing down the sides of those pistes thanks to Sunday's dump and the relatively few people skiing this time of year.

You can tell how good things are - Cervinia which closed last weekend has announced that it is going to have unscheduled openings on each of the next three weekends. Great for those living in Northern Italy. Not sure they'll open the link between Zermatt and Cervinia. They might I guess - but for intrepid types the first T bar of the link is running and if you have skins the last section is relatively short and easy to skin up.

Pity we couldn't have had this at Christmas.
snow conditions
Can anyone advise me how the Zermatt unplugged festival affects the place. Our week off next year coincides with it, and Zermatt is on our possible list. How crowded does the town/slopes get. Is it all over the town or just one area? I'm imagining being Zermatt it would be a rather upmarket festival but as we've got a 6yr old I don't want to be kept awake by loud music or hordes of drunken festival goers all night.

Thanks
snow report
TommyJ wrote:
Can anyone advise me how the Zermatt unplugged festival affects the place. Our week off next year coincides with it, and Zermatt is on our possible list. How crowded does the town/slopes get. Is it all over the town or just one area? I'm imagining being Zermatt it would be a rather upmarket festival but as we've got a 6yr old I don't want to be kept awake by loud music or hordes of drunken festival goers all night.

Thanks

I might be the wrong person to reply as I am part of the drunken crowd!

In all seriousness though it is a great festival with a fantastic atmosphere and some great musicians - both world famous and up and coming (often Swiss). A lot of people come from up the valley and beyond as well as the tourists stopping in town. That valley crowd (which strictly includes me and my wife) tend to head back down around midnight. There are discos that go on until 4 though.

I guess it is a bit more boisterous than a standard week - but it is fairly civilised boisterousness (!). I wouldn't worry about that. Similarly the slopes are a bit busier than a quiet week but nothing compared to Xmas/New Year, the half term period or Easter.

As for noise. It depends where you book. If you are in the Hotel Post or the Backstage Hotel then I think you might find it noisy. Anything at the south end of town should be fine and anything away from the Bahnhofstrasse, the ice rink square or the Church square should be fine.

Do try to get to see some of the stuff - lots of it is free. A tip would be to get a festival pin (CHF20 from memory) and go to see the bands in the marquee before the headliners. Those bands are often the very best. The coolest thing to do is go to watch Ronnie Scott's all stars in the open at the Gandaghutte perched on the edge of the glacier valley. You can ski there from the pistes heading down to Trockener Steg.
latest report
JohnMo wrote:
You can tell how good things are - Cervinia which closed last weekend has announced that it is going to have unscheduled openings on each of the next three weekends. Great for those living in Northern Italy. Not sure they'll open the link between Zermatt and Cervinia. They might I guess .

We are back in the UK but I see the Swiss-Italian link is open this weekend. Not only has Cervinia reopened it has a piste open all the way down into town. At 2000m and south facing that must be "interesting".
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy