Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendation for quality leather ski gloves

Poster: A snowHead
I need to buy another pair of leather ski gloves.

Ever since an instructor leant me his spare pair of leather gloves, after my hands had become really cold, I always buy good quality gloves.

I don't want to skimp on cost, but I'd like to get value for money.

Any recommendations please?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For all the function but no aesthetic: Kinco 901 - £35.

All the function & the aesthetic: one of the Hestra Army models - £100 to £125.

Anything in between not worth it IMO.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Italian company Level make very warm, quality leather gloves often seen on the hands of Italian skiers in the Dolomites. Unfortunately, not many are imported into the UK so the choice over here isn't great, but there are plenty to be found in Alpine resort shops (I picked mine up in Canazei for about €70. They only come out when it is colder than -10).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just got some of Snowshepherd's own brand leather gloves for about £30, and some Kinco Mitts for about the same price (from the same source). Very impressed with comfort and build quality on both although I've not yet taken them skiing!

The Snowshepherd ones have the advantage of a waterproof membrane. Both come pre-treated with water repellence on the leather.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arcteryx alpha sv,s brilliant gloves super warm, the best quality gloves out there imo.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 23-11-15 16:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scarlet, not all Level gloves are equal. My racing ones were neither very thick (by design) nor warm.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, well obviously you have to select the glove for the job! They do each have a warmth rating from 1-10 on the label so it's easy to compare between models. Mine are only a 7 and I've never had cold hands since, which was previously a bit of a problem. They are mittens rather than gloves though, but why would anyone recommend gloves instead of mitts to someone complaining of cold hands?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Black Diamond Guide Gloves. Choose as many fingers as you need.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the recommendations... keep them coming!

These are my favourite so far

http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Hestra-Army-Leather-Wool-Terry-Gloves-31158.html?gclid=COGF-MeUnckCFWXnwgodwCICoA

Anyone use them?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kincos are brill if you don't want to pay to lose or drop a Hestra in the fire. I do wonder why any other glove companies are in business - maybe Reusch for the gate bashing market.

Mind you I've got some laity Drop neoprene based gloves which stay pretty warm even when flopping wet - ones to wear on those marginal storm days.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hestra are my favourites, have got 3 finger ones for when it is very cold, some army gortex patrol for more moderate tems and some short ski cross gloves for spring skiing. The cheap and cheerful Snowshepherd ones are great as well, just give the good dose of leather balm to stop the wind whistling through the seams!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote for Hestra Army Leather gloves. I like the Patrol - a mid-length, low profile version of the Heli glove. Same quality, same warmth as the Heli just easier to wear IMO.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here is a good review of the arcteryx.

http://alpine-guides-blog.com/2011/05/14/arcteryx-alpha-sv-glove-review/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was going after a pair of Hestra's but scored two pairs of BD for less than the cost of what I was planning on paying for the Hestra's...
Nevi Sport had the Spy's for £30 (50% off!, suitable to -5 or so) and EB had the Sparks for £60, for down to -12. Never had an issue with the cold except for older or unsuitable gloves (pipe gloves in Scotland = no no no) so these should do me!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
meandrew wrote:
Here is a good review of the arcteryx.

http://alpine-guides-blog.com/2011/05/14/arcteryx-alpha-sv-glove-review/

Wow, these look like something an astronaut might wear!
ski holidays
Hestra.
latest report
snowdave wrote:
I just got some of Snowshepherd's own brand leather gloves for about £30, and some Kinco Mitts for about the same price (from the same source). Very impressed with comfort and build quality on both although I've not yet taken them skiing!

The Snowshepherd ones have the advantage of a waterproof membrane. Both come pre-treated with water repellence on the leather.

I was not aware they did a mitt version. I can see a purchase on the horizon as i wear my kinco gloves more then my hestra's now.
snow report
Mrs and I wear our waterproof softshell motorcycle gloves (from www.racer.at) until it gets cold enough to wear our lovely Hestra Army Leather Mittens.
ski holidays
When I saw the thread title I just knew Hestra would dominate Toofy Grin

meandrew wrote:
Arcteryx alpha sv,s brilliant gloves super warm bestablished gloves out there imo.

half price on sports pursuit too atm Madeye-Smiley
snow report
These or any versions of them. Mittens/Gloves/crab.

http://www.snowandrock.com/hestra-mens-army-leather-gore-tex-3-finger-glove/hestra-glove/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/52619?listing=true
ski holidays
Legend. wrote:
These or any versions of them. Mittens/Gloves/crab.

http://www.snowandrock.com/hestra-mens-army-leather-gore-tex-3-finger-glove/hestra-glove/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/52619?listing=true

For some reason I hate crab mittens with a vengeance, but love 'proper' mittens. Go figure.
snow report
Anyone spotted any deals on the BD Guides? I'm after a pair but not at full RRP!
snow conditions
Hestra with linings are pretty much everything you need for the coldest of days. I go through a pair of gloves every other year as the edges of my skis cut through the fingers - the Hestras hardly have a mark after effectively 6 weeks' use. Worth the money.
latest report
I don't know if they're any good or not, or if they'll last or not, nor if as warm or waterproof as claimed, but Decathlon has several leather-palmed and leather-constructed gloves in at the moment - and they actually fit my tiny paws, too!
If nothing else I bought a couple of pairs for mountaineering rope handling/ice climbing - but at about £30-50 a pair, I reckon that if they give me a bit of good use they'll be worth it compared to some of the prices which I've seen charged.
ski holidays
After 40yrs of playing in the snow and spending increasing amounts of money on latest glove technology I found 10euro French gardening gloves rubbed with Vaseline (althoughnow I use nick wax) far superior then anything else I have owned before. On particularly cold days I will use a smartwool under glove that I keep in my pocket. You can now get these from these chaps who I believe post on here on occasions.
http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/ssvenitexFBF15
snow report
jellylegs wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations... keep them coming!

These are my favourite so far

http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Hestra-Army-Leather-Wool-Terry-Gloves-31158.html?gclid=COGF-MeUnckCFWXnwgodwCICoA

Anyone use them?

I use a three finger version of these and wouldn't buy anything else. Take some thinner liners as spares, as you may find with the terry lining they are simply too warm.

Big advantage of the terry liner is that some of the hestras with integrated lining do quite naturally pack out a bit, but the leather will outlast the liner I expect, just grabbing a new liner in 5 years time will be cheaper and easier than replacing gloves.
snow conditions
Just as another thought, as someone who: a) likes to be able to cope with a large variety of condition with the minimum of stuff and b) can have a habit of wrecking stuff rather easily (especially if it's expensive!)...

Decathlon underglove silks ("soie" they say on them - in the hiking or cycling sections).
Somewhere between about £4-6 a pair, I think, and I can't get enough of them. Very Happy Seriously good kit, on their own (I often ski/climb just in them if not too cold/wet) or as one or 2 sets of undergloves to turn gloves into super-warm ones. Don't get cold if get wet, either.
Never come accross any other undergloves which are anywere near as warm and all-round useful.

Just a thought if you can get a good outer but maybe not as warm as you'd otherwise want.
snow report
An update: I bought Hestra Army Leather wool Terry gloves @ £99 from the Freeze Pro Shop.

While they were extremely comfortable and nice to wear, my hands got very cold, and I wouldn't want to wear them again unless its spring sunshine conditions. Sad Someone lent me some 'inners' but that didn't help much. I think I'll look around for some mittens before the next trip.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jellylegs wrote:
An update: I bought Hestra Army Leather wool Terry gloves @ £99 from the Freeze Pro Shop.

While they were extremely comfortable and nice to wear, my hands got very cold, and I wouldn't want to wear them again unless its spring sunshine conditions. Sad Someone lent me some 'inners' but that didn't help much. I think I'll look around for some mittens before the next trip.

Interesting. I've just been in Finland and bought (there) and wore a pair of Hestra Army Pro gloves. I have my hands in and out of gloves a lot during the day, fiddling around with boot adjusters, zips etc, and although I wear silks underneath I've found that once these get wet, or snow gets inside the glove generally, I get cold hands from the overall gloves being wet inside. With the Hestras this didn't seem to be a problem - I presume because of the thick inner lining. The palm leather got a bit wet eventually (in powder snow) but they didn't seem to let in the cold once wet on the outside as a lot of my other leather gloves do (though not a lot of the cheaper nylon gloves, I note...)
I wore the Hestras boarding and ski-ing and found them a surprisingly good fit for my small paws, especially considering the leather finger backing, and surprisingly easy to do quite a lot of things with whilst keping them on. I love the long cuffs, too.
I tried on the Hestra Army Pro mittens, but although they were very toasty warm I found the mitten free finger design not suitable to my small hands, especially when ski-ing and using poles (though woolly or fleece/acrylic mittens under British Army DP camo Arctic extreme cold mittens does also provide a very good and closer-fitting alternative in small size!)
latest report
Gotta say I'm surprised by every who's finding Hestra's cold. Mine are now 6 seasons old, have a hole worn through one thumb /through the outer and the liner), and still keep my hands warm.

Will be buying another pair when Edge and Wax have their summer sale - got my current pair there/then for £50!
ski holidays
Bought some of these and used for a week in Whistler, coped with wet snow, rain, cold etc and are possibly the best gloves I've ever had including some of the Hestra army things. Mine were a similar colour to the workman type gloves, but the same spec. Other folks moaning of cold wet hands and not looking forward to putting gloves back on after lunch etc, where these were dry as a bone inside.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/dreamscape-adult-w-ski-gloves-id_8344236.html
ski holidays
jellylegs wrote:

I had a pair of Leki triggerS gloves. Recommended them for my skiing in Norway and they were roasting. I have Summit Series top of the range gloves. Got in the TNF sale for 80 but normally 160.
latest report
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

I had a pair of Leki triggerS gloves. Recommended them for my skiing in Norway and they were roasting. I have Summit Series top of the range gloves. Got in the TNF sale for 80 but normally 160.

N has a pair of these Leki ones too. Apparently they are warmer than his Hestra Heli Pros which tend to get left at home these days. I'm still gonna go back to "buy mittens and some decent silk inners if you want warm hands".
ski holidays
Salomon - http://tinyurl.com/jjdx8m4
These are the toastiest, softest, most comfortable gloves I've ever had.
This is the men's equivalent: http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/even-m.html?article=367171
I got mine in an end-of-season sale at Ski Bartlett
latest report
I bought Black Diamond Legend gloves when it was seriously cold in January: http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/ski-gloves/legend-BD801608_cfg.html#start=1

100 Euros, so cheaper than Hestra, full reinforced goat leather and gore-tex lined so no need to leather balm. Rated by BD to -26c, I used them at -20c plus 6-7c windchill in VT and they were excellent. I suspect that with a silk/merino liner they'd be fine at -30c and more. I always carry glove liners but didn't need to use them. Very pleased with my choice and reckon they'll last for years - on sale now, too!

Just one thing if you're interested - they fit big and they vary a bit so it's best if you can try them on in a shop. I ended up buying medium size when I normally wear large in other brands. Some of the mediums I tried on were too short in the thumb but the pair I bought are perfect for me.
ski holidays
I've bought and used several Hestra top-of-the-range models mentioned on this page and they were not warm enough for me. Even the mitts, with extra liners, Those Hestras have all found homes with other snowHeads via the buy, sell, exchange threads. Their lighter gloves are good for Spring skiing, though.

I've now skied over 20 weeks using Black Diamond Mercury mitts. Not only are they super warm but they barely look used, despite me not caring how I grip ski edges with them. And I love that the liner can be very easily removed, washed and tumbled-dried, which I do after about 10 days of skiing. I also machine wash and tumble dry the outer shell a few times each winter and just rub leather balm on the leather bits afterwards. They are the bomb Very Happy

I've bought a spare pair just in case BD stops making them at some point in the future.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 18-02-16 9:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
After a rainy day on Grand Montet earlier this month I decided it was time for my holey Burton gloves to be put to rest. I've bought a pair of Quiksilver TR Natural Goretex leather gloves for £80 odd see: http://www.quiksilver.co.uk/tr-natural-gore-tex-gloves-EQYHN03018.html

I haven't used them properly yet and will report back when I do in March. They are full goat leather, reinforced palms, generally well built, a bit tight to get on but once they are in very comfortable. Also can use with touch screens if needs be.
ski holidays
I use Rab Guides as I couldn't justify the costs of (non-sale) Hestra's. With a thin merino liner i've been toasty warm with them in -25C. Very happy with them and love the fit, they suit my medium sized hands great!
latest report
Now you all tell me!

I bought Hestra's on the basis of the early recommendations! Now I read Leki, Dreamscape, Salamon, Black Diamond, Quicksilver, Rab....

Have any magazines done a glove test? My fingers got cold when the gloves were exposed to cold wind, particularly when sitting on cold chairlifts. And when they got wet they were even worse, despite using waterproofing wax.

Sounds like its a bit of a lottery.
ski holidays
@clarky999, me too, nothing wrong with Hestras, was going to get a pair of BD Guides but theres plenty life in my tatty Hestras
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy