Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow report 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
@Gaza, I like the Riders on the storm sound track. The one time I did a you tube clip they took the music off. How did you manage that without copywrite problems? Apparently there is a way.
Sorry to jump in off topic.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@poppyb, previously I've had tracks removed but sometimes they have been permitted but I had to agree to advertising links on the vids. The revenue then goes to the royalty holder. That doesn't apply all the time.

I think YouTube and facebook look for a musical "signature" and if it matches they can take action. The Riders in the Storm track is a little known remix (Ibizarre) so I suspect there isn't a signature for it so it slips past the detector.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gaza, hmm - I assume they use something similar to Shazam's algorithm (app which listens and tells you what song is playing), and that catches some really obscure stuff, I think essentially anything which has been properly published. I've never had it fail anyway.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bobmcstuff, the soundtrack on the other vid (Good Life) is also a remix and that wasn't caught by FB or YouTube filters either. Perhaps I'm just being lucky at the moment. Once I run out of remix tracks I might have a problem. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The forecast for Glenshee is has a mix of good and bad - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gfjed570x#?fcTime=1453939200

Today, it looks like snowing until about 23:00 and then it will be 4c and heavy rain for 8 hours. It then goes colder for the rest of the period. Hopefully there will be enough for the Glenshee Games next weekend.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It looks like the forecast was correct. Lecht and Cairngorm were strating to fill in nicely yesterday but both are looking very sad today. The Met Office are showing heavy snow today and tomorrow but seeing no evidence of that on the webcams so far. Sad Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Glencoe planning on opening tomorrow!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Given the amount of snow falling in west Scotland today it could be powder city tomorrow Laughing

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/mobile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looking windy at Nevis Range in Scotland (gondola reading):

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glencoe looks possible for Wednesday but is there actually any snow there or has it all been blown to Norway? I have sudden hankering for a Fly Paper moment.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Glenshee Games cancelled for this coming weekend. Lots of disappointed kids but completely understandable given the forecast. Sad Sad Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Had a nice day at Glencoe today. Bottled out of Flypaper....and Canyon and some others that were looking a bit empty but on the bright side there was more than enough to wear out the poor wee legs given the hit and miss nature of the snow cover.
rolling eyes rolling eyes
Would post a pic but cannot work out how to post a Google Maps Image I uploaded.
Link to GM Maps doesn't seem to work work either; sorry.

One other point. If anyone knows the total juan kerr who was chugging a can of stella in the car park at nine o'clock this morning while all dressed up and ready to go in his boarder gear and helmet mounted cam can you please tell him he is not welcome on any mountain I am on?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whats up with a wee livener before ski?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone know how many days Glenshee has been open this winter so far?

I'm thinking that it's 5 or less.

Grim start to the season.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 4-02-16 14:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not many!Sad

I was up for 2 days mid Jan- an interesting moment on the Saturday when a group of young folk passed us on skis- one carrying a large amp blasting out music with a glitterball on top! Bizarre Very Happy Not quite sure it was worth the effort!
ski holidays
These just about sum up the Scottish ski season so far:-

The Lecht wrote:
Snow disappearing fast, still running the eagle, grouse, robin, wren, magic carpet and chair, these are thin and wet. Current weather is 10mph wind from the west, lot of Rain and temp of +3

Cairngorm Mountain wrote:
First train will be at 10.00 AM.
Unfortunately other uplift is on hold due to the cross winds. The M1 and White Lady runs are now broken. However there is a decent run available from top to middle via theTraverse, 105 and Gunbarrel back to mid station. We will update again if the wind drops. The Ptarmigan Bowl is available for standing classes.

My son and I are up in Cairngorm this weekend for his race training. Not sure what there will be to train on at this rate. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
I should have stuck to my original plan and took Oscar to Hillend on Saturday. The conditions at Cairngorm on Saturday were appalling. The wind was much higher than forecast and it was blowing snow. I was almost lifted off my feet in the car park. Sad Sad Sad After much debate the coaches decided to take the more experienced kids out while the others went to Aviemore for dry land/fitness training.

There wasn't much queueing (surprise, surprise) as most people had stayed away. Due to the limited terrain - Traverse, 10, Cas and Gunbarrel - they were recommending only intermediate to advanced take to the hill. At that point only the Funi was running and doing mid-station stops as it was impossible to ski lower. When we got out at the top the wind was strong and vis very poor. Getting along the Traverse was hard as the wind was denting progress. 105 was narrow and a combination of rutted hard packed snow and ice and deep powder next to the fences. Gunbarrel was the same.

On only the third run of the day Oscar came a cropper at the bottom of Gunbarrel and hurt his wrist. I took him over to the SSC hut where it became apparent that his skiing for the day was over. We went back to the Funi and spoke to the liftie who arranged for Ski Patrol to meet us at the bottom. The 2 patrollers were excellent. They carefully checked him over and seeing the swelling in his wrist and hand immobilised and strapped him up. They then called down to Aviemore Health Centre to tell them we were coming. I was surprised to hear they had x-ray facilities as I didn't ancy driving up to Raigmore and sitting in A&E. The Radiographer wasn't back until 14:00 so we headed back to the B&B and got him changed out of his ski gear. A trip to Subway cheered him up a bit and we then headed to the Health Centre. We had a short wait as the duty Doctor had been called out to a home visit somewhere in the vast area they cover.

Thankfully the x-ray showed no fractures, just some soft tissue damage. They've put a splint on it and think it should be cleared up in about a week. I can't praise the Health Centre enough. The nurse who saw him first, the radiographer and the doctor were all very good and professional.

By the time we left the Health Centre all the other kids were off the mountain as they had closed down around 13:30. They were in the gym so Oscar managed to join in for the last 30 minutes but restricted himself to some of the easier exercises. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

When we went for breakfast this morning the wind was quite strong in Aviemore and it was clear there would be no chance it would be open. It didn't matter to us as the decision not to ski today had already been enforced on us with Oscar's injury. However, it is yet another lost training day for the kids; a number of whom are heading to Bormio for the English Champs at half term.
snow conditions
Heading to glencoe Wednesday. Will report back.
ski holidays
@Gaza, glad to hear your lad got the best of attention. Sadly in this case, it does look like the weather sorted out the men from the boys (sorry couldn't resist, hope he is fine)
snow report
You know it's a bad season when Craigdon Mountain Sports have all of their skis on sale at half price at the start of February!
snow report
Was at the Lecht on Saturday with my daughter (she's 8 and it was only her 2nd day on skis) - we had a great day on the beginner runs and the Jock the lifty was really great with her (helping her on the lifts and encouraging her). There wasn't much wind at all in the morning, it did get a wee bit gusty in the afternoon, but it wasn't bad at all. Slopes were really quiet for a Saturday. Because we both just got limited area passes, we were only £33 all in. I'd have been more than that just for myself at Cairngorm!
ski holidays
This gives you an idea of what the conditions were like at Cairngorm.

http://youtube.com/v/wRT-F8YiqWE
snow conditions
@GazaThere's nothing like a bluebird day..and that's nothing like a bluebird day!

Although you could say that when the wind's that strong it fixes Cairngorm's 'uplift capacity problem' i.e. just open your jacket and get blown back up.

Been a poor season so far for most of Scotland's ski resorts, I've yet to get out. Maybe this weekend coming? I'm not so sure quite how much snow will fall this week despite the colder outlook.
snow conditions
I was out walking on Saturday, went up Derry Cairngorm from Linn of Dee. There wasn't enough snow to ski and Glenshee was shut. Sunday it snowed all day and from the facebook reports today is typically much better. Sad Although I think there's only 5 tows open out of 22 at Glenshee, the west looks better with 6 of 8 tows open at Glencoe.
snow conditions
Glencoe powda this week...

Cool opening sequence...

http://youtube.com/v/fyXzED37bQI&app=desktop
snow report
If anyone is at the Lecht this week would be good to hear about conditions- looking a bit bare on the webcam! Thinking about heading there Sunday if enough snow; if not we will have to brave the queues at Cairngorm Shocked - have a young lad keen for us to take him up north with his board and this Sunday is one of only dates we can all manage
ski holidays
@Gaza - Loved the way your vid of Cairngorm started with an overlay of an advert for "Heliskiing in Canada" - seemed the appropriate response to the conditions...
snow conditions
@scotspikey, look forward to hearing about it.

Have just booked a couple of nights accommodation in kinlochleven with the hope to get some sliding in Thurs/Fri and maybe Sat at either Glencoe or Nevis. Have packed the walking boots too!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glencoe looking good and a favourable forecast out into next week:

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/
snow report
Glencoe today was....well, glencoe. Lower slopes icy and packed. Upper slopes awesome but very tiring. Lumpy as hell with a fair few rocks poking through on all runs. But, hey its the coe. So challenging, tiring and fun.

Good for the hardened skier or glencoe goer, but my friend who has only ever tasted alpine pistes, found it a real endurance test. He said at the end of the day "I was thinking I'm skiing, I like skiing, but I don't know if I'm having fun"

I'll be back in the next few days tho!
latest report
Glencoe was a good choice today. Little wind and good visibility. Great snow over on the east side of the mountain. Some nice stuff here and there too. Snow showers through the afternoon. I didn't really come across any ice, but did come across lurking rocks!
snow report
scotspikey wrote:
Glencoe today was....well, glencoe. Lower slopes icy and packed. Upper slopes awesome but very tiring. Lumpy as hell with a fair few rocks poking through on all runs. But, hey its the coe. So challenging, tiring and fun.

Good for the hardened skier or glencoe goer, but my friend who has only ever tasted alpine pistes, found it a real endurance test. He said at the end of the day "I was thinking I'm skiing, I like skiing, but I don't know if I'm having fun"

I'll be back in the next few days tho!

This sums up Glencoe perfectly. It certainly has a backcountry skiing feel to it compared to alpine resorts !
ski holidays
It was snowing most of this morning and visibility wasn't great. Improved a bit after lunch.

It definitely felt like I'd forgotten how to ski, but the snow at the top was pretty good. May go to Nevis tomorrow instead.
ski holidays
A week of sun and blue skies coming to Glencoe.
snow conditions
Two days on and my legs are still absolutely shot. It really is endurance skiing.
ski holidays
Can anyone up there confirm how windy/cloudy it is at the moment?
latest report
Today has been the best day of the week in Edinburgh. Blue skies and very little wind.
snow conditions
pretty good at Nevis!

ski holidays
The snow has finally arrived and given the forecast it looks like it may hang around for more than the 2 or 3 days at time we've seen so far this season. However, I won't be around to enjoy it as part of the holiday pact I have with Mrs Gaza means we have to go somewhere sunny this February so we are off to Dubai tomorrow. It's not all bad though as I've just finished stuffing my oversized boot bag with 2 pairs of ski boots and ski clothing so me and my son can get our February fix courtesy of Ski Dubai. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Nevis was great today. Cold (and in places windy) but really good snow up top. Warren was beautiful, although the T bar wasn't running so had to go via summit tow.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy