Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow report 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
how were the queues at gorm today? heating reports of over an hour
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes @kb36, there is a lot of complaints on Cairngorms Facebook page about the length of time people were in queues, part of this was because some of the lower lifts aren't ready to open yet, the forecast was good so it looks as though everyone headed for the hills, we were up early had some runs before it got busy and left.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
was gonna go up tomorrow but think it will be Glenshee or the lecht instead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
denfinella wrote:
@neilkav, I think Nevis have a premium range for ski hire as well as their normal range. Not sure how good it is, but maybe an option. Check their website.

Cheers, will take a look
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
larry1950 wrote:
@neilkav, The snow at Cairngorm was very good today with top to bottom skiing, it was incredibly busy with it being a weekend and good weather and not all the lifts open yet the Cas tow didn't come on until mid afternoon due to an electrical fault, Carpark tow Fiacall ridge and West Wall poma don't have quite enough snow yet. I can't help you with the ski hire but it might be worth giving Cairngorm a call to check what they have, also there is an Ellis Brigham in Aviemore who do ski hire.

Ellis Brigham is a good shout

From previous trips, I'm thinking either Nevis or maybe glencoe as they don't tend to get as rammed as cairngorm.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@neilkav, If you are going mid week all areas should be quieter, I rarely ski at weekends this Saturday was an exception as the previous two days had been low cloud and snow, I had forgotten that the road to Glenshee on the Aberdeen side was closed which may have made Cairngorm even busier but I think there is now a temporary road open which may help. Have fun wherever you choose to go.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers will do Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
was at the lecht today, superhero snow and fantastic conditions, yes not the most challenging runs but great for a blast and whilst busy the queues were really not bad at all, almost went to cairngorm but think we made the right choice
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cairngorm was excellent today. Queues were nothing like Saturday. No longer than 5 mins in the drags and if you were not on the 1st funicular you were on the second.

Wind had a bit of a nip to it though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
that's not what they were saying elsewhere
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Was my experience of being there
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mind 1st train up was an hour late, wonder if a lot of people got peed off and went elsewhere.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
could explain it, folk turning up for first lift and having to wait
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yesterday at Cairngorm was a joke. Not enough uplift available but they still sold every ticket they could. Car Parks were full by 10:00 am. Some great snow conditions up top and on M1 and White Lady. However, there was the occasional big lump of granite sticking up.

First train was late this morning so we looped the Day Lodge run a couple of times but it kept stopping as the wire was being pulled off the first wheel. The Liftie was blaming beginner tea-tray riders who kept falling and pulling it sideways. I think he was right. There was a sign saying "No Beginners" but given the wait for the train some ignored it.

Saturday queue for Ciste T-Bar

Looking up the Ciste

Tourers on the Ciste

The Ptarmigan looking like a polar ice station.

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No lift queues down my way this afternoon wink

snow report
Had a good day yesterday at Glenshee. Snow was great, although vis wasn't the best!(but that's skiing in Scotland)

Queues were particularly long on some on the sunny side lifts going back towards the car parks. Otherwise not a bad day. Again it's not surprising given its the first weekend being open. Hopefully they'll get a few top ups and open the whole mountain
ski holidays
This shows the conditions at Cairngorm this weekend.

http://youtube.com/v/YDjklS6q_BQ
snow conditions
@moffatross, where were you at? I toured over Sgor Gaoith (above Glen Feshie) and had a glorious descent on squeaky snow. It was like your skis were on rails; somewhat unforgiving but if you trusted your skis huge fun!
ski holidays
Was also up at the Lecht yesterday. Good snow cover and conditions.

Car park was full but did not seem to equate to the numbers on the slopes. Got heaps of runs in and traffic free on the way down.
ski holidays
@MadMountainMan, that was on Broad Law near Tweedsmuir. The snow was wind-affected and grabby, the light was dull and flat, hence I found it hard going but it was brilliant to be out. Oddly enouh, the night ski across the Lowthers a couple of days ago was easier skiing by headtorch than yesterday in that flat daylight. I think a headtorch gives great definition and you can pick out sastrugi far better. I'm not sure if I will get a chance to ski a groomer in the north this season so I'm grabbing local opportunities when I can.
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:
@MadMountainMan, that was on Broad Law near Tweedsmuir. The snow was wind-affected and grabby, the light was dull and flat, hence I found it hard going but it was brilliant to be out. Oddly enouh, the night ski across the Lowthers a couple of days ago was easier skiing by headtorch than yesterday in that flat daylight. I think a headtorch gives great definition and you can pick out sastrugi far better. I'm not sure if I will get a chance to ski a groomer in the north this season so I'm grabbing local opportunities when I can.

I've never skied that far south (in the UK)! That's kind of how the snow was for me; wind compacted and so rather grabby, but at least it wasn't breakable crust! I don't mind that sort of snow so long as I don't try to do any skid at the end of the turn! (If I do then I tend to turn cartwheels!).

That'll be it for me in Scotland now, unless there's any late snow after mid April as I'm off to Chamonix from now till then.
snow conditions
MadMountainMan wrote:
@moffatross, where were you at? I toured over Sgor Gaoith (above Glen Feshie) and had a glorious descent on squeaky snow. It was like your skis were on rails; somewhat unforgiving but if you trusted your skis huge fun!

Saturday or sunday? We had a good if somewhat cloudy trip on Sgor Gaoith on Sunday.
ski holidays
I am lucky & live pretty equidistant from Glencoe, Glenshee & Cairngorm - can get time off this week - Wednesday or Thursday....but which to go to?.....given that whatever is written on the resort Facebook pages is usually stories of the fairy tale variety re conditions. Who's been where over the last few days & how good was the snow? Thanks Very Happy
snow conditions
@malarkey99, if you look at the video above it shows what the conditions were like on Saturday and Sunday on M1, Ciste, Ptarmigan, White Lady, Cas and a few other bits. As the saying goes "A (moving ) picture paints a thousand words."
latest report
prog99 wrote:
MadMountainMan wrote:

Saturday or sunday? We had a good if somewhat cloudy trip on Sgor Gaoith on Sunday.

Hah! Sunday so I probably saw you then. I was on my own and on the summit around one'ish. I spoke to a couple of skiers on the way up and at the summit and a couple of split boarders back at the car park.

It was a shame it never really cleared up but it was really only the top 100m or so that were actually in the cloud and by Cairngorm standards that's not too bad! Very Happy
ski holidays
The MWIS forecast makes for grim reading:-

http://www.mwis.org.uk/pdf/weather-forecasts/EH-MWI-WM10714_2016-01-20_145217_7110000.pdf

Quote:
A temporary period of freeze on higher summits in Scotland centred on Friday night, but otherwise until next Tuesday, a
prolonged and often rapid thaw in unusually warm (for January) southerly winds.
There will be frequent rain western
mountains and extensive low cloud, albeit cloud will often break off the summits in northern Scotland.

ski holidays
Sadly, these things happen in Scotland Gaza - though the fact that you know that never makes it any easier to take, especially after such decent looking cover.

We'll all just have to cross everything, do snow dances and wait for the return of the snow...Not much of a season so far though eh rolling eyes?
ski holidays
Very true @mountainaddict. Have you seen the Cairngorm webcams today? What looked like good cover last weekend now seems to be in Lock Morlich. My son is (supposed) to be racing at the Lecht this weekend and with a 3.5-4 hour drive ahead of us this evening I'm not relishing the prospect of getting there tomorrow to be told they have had to cancel. Looking at the webcams they do seem to have faired better than Cairngorm but there is a lot of brown patches appearing. With a temp of 7c tomorrow I suspect that even if they do race tomorrow Sunday may well be cancelled.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nevis is already looking pretty bare compared to a couple of days ago.
ski holidays
Quote:
Have you seen the Cairngorm webcams today? 
Plucked up the courage to have a look this morning...weren't actually as bad as I'd feared! Had expected totally brown on the lower slopes but there was still a fair looking cover. However...Glencoe looks to have taken a bad hit rolling eyes - cover now looking very thin.

Looking at a possible trip up next weekend - but haven't checked the longer term forecast yet.
ski holidays
Some friends were up at Lecht yesterday and apparently it was OK. Glenshee has taken a big hit though, Lecht seems to have been a bit more sheltered a bit from the warm wind.

It was very warm today on my bike ride out to Aboyne - but there was plenty of snow visible further into the Cairngorms.

Looking at the GFS ensembles for Aberdeenshire it looks like cooling down during the day tomorrow, and some precipitation on Tuesday which might fall as snow at higher elevations but probably rain at resort level. 29th-31st looking like it might be around seasonal average and after that the lines are all over the shop so it's anyone's guess.

Cairngorm GFS looking a lot livelier on the precipitation front across the forecast but unfortunately from 25th-27th it's probably going to be rain. Temps then dropping to around about seasonal average again, and with the increase precipitation further West, Cairngorm could well get some snow later in the week.

Nevis and Glencoe have even more precipitation in the forecast so looks like they will get very heavy rain the next few days Sad

Overall looking much wetter and windier the further West you go, but warm all over for the next few days at least. Maybe a little snow later in the week.
latest report
@bobmcstuff, I was at the Lecht for the Gordon Skiers Open. The cover was reasonable and the U8, U10 & U12 got 3 runs in. It was getting very soft by the end and it was only a lot of shovelling between races that stop the kids skiing on heather. The older kids were on Buzzard and that cut up really badly. The conditions had deteriorated so much that they had to cancel today's races.
latest report
25th January and it was 13.5 Degrees C driving into work in Edinburgh at 7.00 am this morning !
snow conditions
The webcams are all looking pretty brown this morning, warm and windy overnight and I think it has been like a hairdryer on the hills. Sad
latest report
This from Cairngorm just about sums up the disaster that is facing Scottish skiing this winter:-

Quote:
SNOWSPORTS CLOSED today due to high winds and broken pistes. We will not be running piste machines today to safeguard the remaining snow pack and will have to wait until the temperatures drop back to freezing, to patch up the pistes. Another night of high winds with temperatures topping +10C. Currently 65mph at the tunnel mouth with a temperature of +4.6C at the top station. We are assessing the snow cover after this major period of thaw. Temperatures going to drop back below freezing this evening so we hope the snow pack remains good until then.

You can see on this video what the conditions were like at the Lecht on Saturday. Although there is quite a bit of brown around it seemed to be mostly heather and mud so not too deadly for equipment.

http://youtube.com/v/Ep1jkZL2FpE
ski holidays
Sad
snow conditions
Quote:
This....just about sums up the disaster that is facing Scottish skiing this winter...
With it:
1. Only being January.
2. Not unknown for Scottish skiing to operate into May...

...it may be a little too early yet to write off the whole season as a disaster Confused - there may yet be significant snowfalls in what's left of January plus February, March and April.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, I should have been more specific and said "..this winter so far." The resorts have only had 2 weekends so far and that must be hurting financially, not only for them but the wider industry that relies on the winter ski season.
snow report
Agreed Gaza.... Confused
snow conditions
Looking to me like there should be some snow tomorrow. Very wet today though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy