Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Couloir, Courchevel

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

simo1234, Death Couloir is certainly challenging, but I beleive that it can lead to lift-pass confiscation if you're caught, no ? Which is the LEFT option ?

Half way down the couiloir in a large rock - the snow goes to the left and the right of this - you must take the left option.

Regarding losing the ski pass - I have not heard of ski pass confiscation specifically for skiing down this couloir but the pisteurs can confiscate for skiing down any closed piste.

If you get a chance to do it in good snow then enjoy. The top bit is steep and narrow but opens up to a lovely (normally untouched) few hundred metres of powder.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The top bit might have been lovely on smooth on Thursday but by the time I went down this Sunday afternoon and it had turned it one of those moghully routes where the terrain seems to be making all the decisions. You just hope the previous 10 people didn't go straight over the cliff, because you are stuck following their tracks ! Might have been sensible to try my big new skis on something tougher rather the long green Verdons run before bouncing my way down here. Felt much better on the couloir proper and, in my mind at least, got a bit of a rhythm going for the critical last 200m where you are being judged by the passers by.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What's the drop o of Saluire that you can see from the lift going up from the Meribel side? Its so long ago that I've been there and memory ios a bit hazy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowploughdave, welcome to snowHeads snowHead .
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
isn't that the couloir that simo 1234 is referring to
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
this thread has some more details on the courchevel couloirs
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=185347&highlight=courchevel#185347

When you ski (?) the cat track you pass three other couloirs 1 to meribel and 2 down the courchevel side. They are all a bit trickier than the GC but dont get bumpy (few ski them). The reason I mention this is that it can help you relax on the cat track if you know that the edges are not actually shear drops but alternative routes down!

In terms of the GC being open, my experience is that it is seldom closed. Think it just proves what a crappy January Courchevel has had that the GC has been too thin. When I worked my ski season there it opened at Xmas and was only closed on a few days for avalanche risk.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dan100,

If thats it, it opens out quite quickly so only the first couple of turns to deal with - but its a long time ago, so........
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
there are good guides to the couloirs on maddog guides and a nice picture of those on Co side on www.courchevel.com on iteniaires section
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So could all EOSBers who wish to ski the Grande Couloir assemble here?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
admin, <The solution is to have the nerve to ski the ridge on one side of the erm, ridge. That way your skis have something to bite on.>

That did actually look the safest, but shame on you for starting another traversing thread hehehe Twisted Evil
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Would of skied it last time I was there but I was a bit off couloir at the time
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:

The photo was taken on the 7/8 Dec 2002. There was enough snow to ski all of the couloirs at that time.

here is the video it was taken from for anyone vaguely interested

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6899310442266137156&q=courchevel
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ever thought of sending that video to Warren Miller. He may be short of a few extreme shots for his next release!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ever thought of sending that video to Warren Miller. He may be short of a few extreme shots for his next release!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
feb/march is definitely the best time to ski it but in my experience you don't need to wait until its officially open to give it a go. If you have enough mountain knowledge or are with a suitably advanced skier then you should be able to tell when its skiable or not. Early on in the season it is very rocky and because of the nature of the slope, it takes a while for the rocks to be sufficiently covered. There are a few other couloirs running off it that are often better skiing as they are less skied and therefore less mogully. The snow can be very hard and icy at times making it very difficult and not so pleasurable. The descent down to meribel on the other side of the ridge is steeper, more dangerous but usually much better skiing and needs much less snow. The top of it is very steep and needs to be taken very carefully but it soon widens and becomes much more manageable. Towards the bottom, as you are getting towards the piste and the slope begins to even out there are lots of rocks so if you are trying this descent early on in the season then stop and take it very slowly form there, or better yet traverse to the left back up onto the piste.

bon ski
snow report
If you look at kamikaze's photo you can see a couple of tracks starting off down the "sheer drop". (Well it is very steep, I admit)

I've never found the GC closed, I must say, though I've never been earlier than the 2nd week in January and not at all recently..
snow conditions
I skied it this morning with my nine-year-old daughter. With her short skis and low centre of gravity, she made much less of a meal of it than I did.
snow report
4 Year Bump, impressive wink .
snow report
But then the Grand Couloir is a timeless classic Wink
ski holidays
Skied this 03/17. Enough snow, but poor condition, heavily moguled making the 2 steep lips a bit tricky. That said, the run itself isn't overly hard, but the access path is, unless you've got freshies: you'll be off the side if you bail a turn.

Recomend you do it if in town, but deffo not for beginners or intermediates.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy