Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 15/16

Poster: A snowHead
@Dunny#1, no better time to test the mettle of your gear than in combat conditions Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zero_G wrote:
@Dunny#1, no better time to test the mettle of your gear than in combat conditions Toofy Grin

Pahaha, and I'll be blaming you immediately when it happens snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dunny#1, luckily I'm just some random on the internet then wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Would it be jinx-worthy to say, out loud, that the wigglies look they're holding up? Shocked snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Zero_G, massively - I refuse to wax my skis until I actually see something snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone for a Vallée Blanche / Pas de Chèvre? Beautiful hike from Lavancher

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BobinCH, Shocked
Explains why this board has tumbleweed blowing through it... when was that pic taken?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was very pleasant up on grands montets this morning with 5-10cm fresh powder - just enough to hide the rocks. Only negative was when I got cliffed out by lack of snow at one point and had an ignominious walk back uphill for a few mins... Best skiing of the season so far for me by some distance, and nice and empty.

Tomorrow is looking like it could be great.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zero_G wrote:
@BobinCH, Shocked
Explains why this board has tumbleweed blowing through it... when was that pic taken?

Wednesday 30th
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On location filming for the next Star Wars film....

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Recommend the hike up to the Chapeau from Lavancher. You can also go as far as Lognan http://www.chamonix-mont-blanc-hiking.com/pendantchapeau.html

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowing heavily in both senses at 1,100m
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

About five inches since this morning. Le Tour mid station.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skied Brevent with Fixx this morning - probably at least 20cm by the time I came down at about 315. Need a lot of snow, but some enjoyable skiing this AM and good fun snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A tweet from Stewart at Avalanche Academy said 25 at GM up to around 4pm and still snowing.
snow conditions
Was at Le Tour today with Avalanche Academy - Avalanche Progression course. It was originally going to be cancelled due to lack of snow, but 5 of us agreed to have a go with touring gear - and what a fun day it was!

Only the bottom cable car was open, so useless for most people, but the place was crawling with tourers, who were all having a great time. We did 3 skins (nothing too epic - group burials to do and snow pits to dig Smile ) but the snow was pretty good. Our measurements from the pits were consistently @20cms fresh, and a decent base on gentler slopes (steeper ones having been stripped), though some buried surface hoar frost on NW slope. That could be really problematic later - it had no cohesion at all.

Great day though Smile I'm shattered now! Fitness needs serious work...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 3-01-16 18:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
And 2 dead in an Avalanche at Grands Montets today Sad

http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2016/01/03/chamonix-une-avalanche-s-est-produite-aux-grands-montets
ski holidays
@fixx, terrible news.
Stewart also tweeted earlier "ChxAv 4Jan.4/5>2200m, 3/5<.Heavy snowfall+strong winds will cause extensive slab,notably at alt.Weak sub layer persists in places. #CAUTION" so take care.

I'm doing the same course on the 14th, only went for it because I thought there wouldn't be too much digging, I'm not fit either. Puzzled
snow report
Reading the report it sounds like a party of climbers on the Petite Vert.
If it's 4/5 the piste is the place to be however strong the urge.
snow conditions
@jbob, if I survived the touring version (which is not what they normally do) then anyone can survive the normal version Smile There was more digging this time than last time I did it, but some of that was due to us just not being able to access more terrain for skiing. It was an extremely enjoyable and educational day - I can't recommend it enough. And even though it was my second one, I'll be doing it again next year.

It does seem like the risk will keep climbing this week. Too many stones off piste anyway to tempt me - I just hope there aren't more incidents to come as the risk goes up Sad
ski holidays
Deep fresh in les Houches, surprisingly light and fluffy up top. Very wet and sticky down at the village of course. It may be knee deep in places, but there is nothing underneath so beware Wink
ski holidays
@jbob, I'm on the 14th course too, so you'll be fine because you can't be less fit than I am this season Embarassed

Lots of fresh, deep, super fast snow on Brévent today, though only one lift and two runs open. Enough coverage between the pistes to have fun. It was very cold and windy, with horizontal snowfall and mostly flat light. But an excellent first day's skiing (my expectations were very low) snowHead
ski holidays
Had a fine day at Les Houches. Although not many lifts running, we explored off the beaten track and found pockets of lovely deep snow. There's a Zero-G shaped hole in about two feet of snow in a little gully, right under a chair lift. I left my mark Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@Zero_G, hmmm, if both you and I have sick notes, who exactly is going to do the digging?
snow report
For anyone doubting the above reports, here is @Zero_G kindly demonstrating the hole:
ski holidays
fixx wrote:
For anyone doubting the above reports, here is @Zero_G kindly demonstrating the hole:

In the interest of fairness, I could post a (distant) video of someone else losing it... on a flat blue run snowHead Toofy Grin
latest report
@Dunny#1, don't you dare! I was hoping your camera had died already at that point NehNeh I will admit it was me, in a definite comedy slide, when I was just being silly, and hit a dip I wasn't expecting. Lesson learned Smile
snow report
@fixx, all I'll say: It looks like you've just been flung off a merry-go-round snowHead Case closed NehNeh
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Zero_G, did you have to spend a long time looking for your skis, 'cos, I reckon I can just about see both of them... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
fixx wrote:
@Dunny#1, don't you dare!

@Dunny#1, I trust a private screening is scheduled for the Cham Picnickers on Thursday? Toofy Grin
snow report
@under a new name, the skis were attached to my feet after the face plant but pretty much stuck in the snow, along with my right arm. I was immobilised and @fixx had to help me get my skis off so that I could free my arm, which was vertical in the snow but I still wasn't touching the bottom. all while @Dunny#1 watched from the sidelines, laughing.

That black ski pole you see in the foreground shows just how deep the snow was.
snow conditions
I do have other photos with @Dunny#1 in the background looking far more concerned with his own skis than the fate of poor @Zero_G stuck in the snow with some french and germans up the hill just itching to follow our lines and charge over the top of her! Razz (They eventually opted for another line and entertained us with some jumps)
snow conditions
Epic day in Grands Montets today! Les houches tomorrow I'd say.
snow report
@Zero_G, ahhhh - that's a great shout! It wasn't... but is now Razz

It wasn't serious laughter Embarassed
snow report
Had a deep one today, had to work for it and got off the hill at 6pm 'cause we missed the last telecabine and train.

Worth it, we were the only 2 people on the entire run Wink

latest report
Oooh that first pic looks superb snowHead
latest report
@Idris, lovely.
latest report
Is Grands Montets fully open? Thanks
ski holidays
@footsoldier, top bin was shut yesterday along with Pendant. Looks like the same for today...
snow conditions
@footsoldier,

you're on the interpipes, right?

http://www.compagniedumontblanc.co.uk/en/lifts-chamonix
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy