Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 15/16

Poster: A snowHead
@jedster, Sat, Sun, Monday will be busy, the rest of the week is usually not bad. It's very quiet at the moment.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2 top bins at GM this morning - lovely chalky powder and some nice soft patches above pylones.
Les houches this afternoon - great cruisy soft snow.
Clouded over by 6 and a bit of rain tonight at resort level.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
About 2cm of snow overnight, but SO windy out today. Pistes weren't bad, but you had to get away from the wind. Came back across from Flegere in the cable to Brevent and the wind was insane. Was the only one in the cable and I actually flat on the floor because it was so bad, pah.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Big Avalanche under the midi cables today. Also lots of snow transported by the high winds today.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Not my photo. La Chamoniarde
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi anyone got any updates on Chamonix conditions? Getting ready for my first trip out. Looking forward to it with a few nerves as well!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
About 90% of the lifts are open.

Got a whopping 20 feet of snow at the top of the mountain. Which is impressive, given the first half of the season was a disaster.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very impressive. Is it likely to be busy we are coming out Wednesday this week back Thursday the week after. Looking forward to getting on the pistes and maybe my first off piste as well.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@phil27uk, weather improving Wednesday so a good day to come. Pistes are good at the moment, the off is variable but might have been freshened up by the current bit of snow. Its forecast to get warm which might change things. It's been busy in town over the weekend, I think it will be much quieter by Wednesday.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GM and Le Tour are pretty decent at present, Brevent and Flegere are wind swept and pretty mehhhhhh. Should be quiet when you come as jbob said Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some good news from CdMB. The closing date for Le Tour and Flegere have been put back a week due to good conditions. They will close on the 24/4 instead of the 17/4. GM is still due to shut on the 1/5.
It's been raining hard in Chamonix tonight but the fl is high, I couldn't see any snow on the trees up the sides of the valley.
Should be good tomorrow but only high up.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Les Houches is still holding up surprisingly well.

Skied most runs this morning, most surprising were Le Crozat chair was good and Plancet drag were excellent!

The home run to Prarion is incomplete at the very bottom, and quite ropey below Maison Neuve chair.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't go anywhere near Brevent/Flegere. Not my decision to go, but it is horrendous Skullie
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All might change Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
haha I've not been up since the weekend. Pretty much just waiting for the sun to come out again....
snow conditions
@under a new name, we can hope Very Happy

Skied GM yesterday and Le Tour today. GM was slushy with snow really high up, but bizarrely quite good fun. Le Tour this morning proved to be really good fun for the first couple hours, considering the weather we've had - from 9-10.30, it felt pretty good. Softened (and slowed) up after that, but by far the best skiing I've had in the last week or so.
snow report
Skied GM last two days and had some fun. Soft enough high up. Lots of hlr folk heading off over the weekend. For the chap asking about pack size most were big. Some as big as 70l nothing less than 45. Having skinned up the argentiere glacier yesterday I pity them a bit some of the snow was dire.
latest report
I hope to go up and ski this Friday. Piste only. Question is where? Forecast says it will be much colder with NO SUN. Which area would you go to under these conditions?
ski holidays
@Sgebay, grand montets.
latest report
My last day of the season today and it was a good one. Almost a mini powder day. Skied the grand muir, and had ankle deep freshies same off the front. The new snow, about 4 inches was sluffing off the hard pack underneath on the steep pitches Shocked
snow conditions

Grand Muir.
snow conditions
It's raining heavily in Cham tonight, fl around 2000m could be a big one tomorrow, but not for me:(
ski holidays
Jbob, thanks for all the updates! Keep it up!
snow conditions
Skiing off the back of Col de Berard down to Le Buet was possible on Monday (4th), the snow cover in the valley is mostly still quite deep although will be melting fast if temperatures stay warm. We even managed to ski half-way from Le Buet to Vallorcine after finding our train was cancelled although had to walk the last kilometre or so along the road.
ski holidays
Hi everyone, just wanted to update that I skied the VB classic route today and it was fabulous. Conditions quite good except for the last 200 meters of altitude. Thank you everyone for the helpful tips!
snow report
Forgot to mention that it was quite crouded. Had to wait three trains to go back down to Montenvers!
snow conditions
Somebody up for some touring later this week, now that we are into spring season?
snow report
Yes, I have booked a guide for Thursday to do a day tour from Aiguille de Midi and descent of Vallee Blanche. There is only me and my wife at the mo and would be happy to share the cost of the guide.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It went off today in Chamonix!! April showers brought powder back to the steep north faces. North face of the midi was getting hit off the first bin. We settled for Glacier Rond then a Cosmiques.

This winter keeps giving!
ski holidays
Yes, an awesome day. Shame about the late opening of the cable car but we managed to get in the first bin of the day. Found some awesome snow thanks to our guide Yan.
snow report
Today (Sunday) we drove up from Geneva to Chamonix for a last ski day of the year. Our low expectations were barely met.

At Le Tour (best for a variety of skiers), skiers were going up, but the teller at the cash window told us not to bother. She said come back Tuesday or Wednesday when conditions would be very good after expected snow tonight and/or Monday. There was patchy snow and dirt under the first gondola, obviously unskiable, and reportedly mush at the top. (The map showed all the lifts at the top running, and the runs down to Le Tour and Vallorcine closed.) Somebody coming down called the conditions "une catastrophe".

So we went to the GM, and skied there. Limited options. The top (GM) bin was closed, as was the chairlift on the Pendant side. You could do the short blue runs between the tops of two lifts from the base (Plan Joran and Lognan), and take the Bochard gondola or the Herse chair. There was apparently some off-piste skiing available from those. The red home run to the base was also open.

It started raining on our way up, and when we got to the top of Plan Joran, the rain had become snow. The runs around there, including the Bochard run, were well covered but of course the snow was thick and sticky. While we stopped for lunch the snowfall increased. After lunch, the first half of the home run down was the best of the three or so times I have skied it - not at all crowded, and the base of mushy snow was covered with a couple of inches of fresh powder. Very nice, the best part of a mostly frustrating ski day. But about halfway down that run, the snow became rain, and it was a lot less fun. Raining on the whole drive back to Geneva. I assume that means continuing snow on the GM, so I'd expect good conditions there at mid-week (when we have to work Sad ).
latest report
@sullidav, we had actually put our kit on but bailed when we saw the Brevent bubble was temporarily closed due to "violent" winds...

That's our season over on a damp note then...
ski holidays
Thanks. We were warned about bad winds at the bottom, and the wind was whistling fiercely in our PJ gondola car on the way up, but wind was not too bad once we got out. Poor visibility though, with cloud and falling snow. GM may get less wind than other places, with some shelter from the ridge.
latest report
Some of the snow of the season on Tuesday.

Skied the Cunninghams Couloir for the first time.

http://youtube.com/v/6XwvghTgdwI

Ball ache to get in, but we got it fresh after two days of snow. Faceshots all the way to the Glacier Rond

snow report
^^^ very nice! When's GM open until?
snow report
1st May
snow conditions
@Fergus, big tick nice one. Is that also called the passeralle?
snow report
@Fergus
This should be you guys:

Saw you on our way to the Grand Envers (:

Monday gave us some epic (for April 18th) powder on top of GM with not so epic visibility.

And what was it like in the Argentier Glacier on the 14th.

Can't wait for the current storm to settle down
ski holidays
Super Kudos Fergus! I'm still watching an old video of a descent of that to psyche me up on a morning's skiing
snow conditions
Grand montets is grim today, viz is 0. Fresh snow about, I can feel it but can't see it. Not 100 percent sure at any time if I am on or off piste Happy. Coffee time!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy