Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 15/16

Poster: A snowHead
Whistle stop around Brevent-Flegere, pistes all good. Fairly busy. Off piste looking a little shallow still in places.

Many many underequipped individuals ducking "Closed due Avalanche risk" barriers.

Some punchy lines being skied by very unpunchy skiers.

TBH much of the off piste was carnage.

And many weekend warriors out... Skullie
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thinking about heading down tomorrow from Geneva for my first trip to Chamonix of the year. Has the top lift at GM been shut all season? There's no way of knowing if it'll be open tomorrow I guess. For those that have experienced the conditions are any of Brevent/Flegere, GM, Le Tour, or even Les Contamines worth picking over the others?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Le Tour was pretty decent today and relatively quiet, but every inch of off piste has already been smashed. Really cold this AM, but still some decent skiing to be had Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Steve77, Top lift at GM was open for a time around Xmas/New Year period, I don't think it's been open since the 4th or whenever the new snow started to fall.

When it was operating the crevasses up there were very open, the first pitch onto PdV was closed off save for a narrow corridor on skiers right as the large rimaye that they spend so much effort protecting in the summer was wide open**. The lower part of PdV was closed and so you were forced over the ridge onto (is it) Pylones, as you crossed the ridge another crevasse (maybe rimaye) was wide open and so a fixed line had been installed in order that you could self belay past it.

Probably all changed up there now. Is it open again yet? Anyone been up?

** seeing it like that made it click that the snowcat activity you see evidence of up there is probably CdMB pushing snow off the higher slope into the rimaye to artificially fill it. I'm guessing there was so little surface snow up there prior to New Year that they hadn't been able to yet do that this season.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In the end I'm up the Brevent/Flegere side. Snow is great, though heavily tracked. Viz keeps coming and going but when it clears you can still find a couple of fresh turns. The little chair that takes you from the liaison lift up to Index was shut so was forced to ski down to the bottom of Flegere and the cover is fine all the way down.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GM today, not much vis, hardly any people and if you searched, quite a lot of untracked fresh

https://video-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xaf1/v/t42.1790-2/12586348_991801100893828_436177522_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjYxOSwicmxhIjo1MTIsInZlbmNvZGVfdGFnIjoidjNfNDI2X2NyZl8yM19tYWluXzMuMF9zZCJ9&rl=619&vabr=344&oh=2673321765290bce7fa1f4581c3790e5&oe=569C3755
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Er oops how do I embed a facebook video?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

to ski down to the bottom of Flegere and the cover is fine all the way down

We watched from the bubble on Saturday as some individuals skied down to the bottom of Brevent and it was very stony at the bottom. I wouldn't attempt it on my own skis.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Had to go to Annecy to deal with bureaucratic issues today, so went for an evening ski instead, this is La Charme just off the back of the Prarion, below is Les Contamines
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Idris, nice.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

A pleasant day at Le Tour yesterday. It was f cold but the pistes were in good nick, the off was fluffy but battered and hard to find anything. The Posettes drag was still closed so a bit to go at when that's safe.
Snow in Chamonix this morning.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skied GM this morning (with Evolution 2 - very impressed), conditions were exceptional. No queue to get up to the top, stuck mostly to the piste for the top section - proved to be utterly sublime.

http://youtube.com/v/y2rEGujyMLk
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jbob,
out on saturday , its killing me , waiting to get there , but looks like it will be a great trip , what is the avi situation looking like atm , do you think the warmer front moving in at the weekend will calm things down a bit ??

@Dunny#1, very nice !!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dunny#1, Nice. How did you get on with EV2 ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm out on sunday, getting a bit giddy now Very Happy
ski holidays
@Dabber, first time up'top in GM, mind blown.

@AndAnotherThing.., good question! I was on a 3 day all mountain course yesterday which sucked. Some differing ability levels in the group and didn't feel like I got a lot out of it. So, I emailed and they offered me a 3 hour private guiding morning instead of the two remaining group 3 hours sessions which I took. Had a guy called Miguel who proved to be exceptional, so in the end - pretty good...
ski holidays

The Les Houches skin track. Note the snow, another six inches last night.
ski holidays
not looking so shabby over on brevent Toofy Grin

ski holidays
Dunny#1 wrote:

So the top lift at GM is finally open? I've got tomorrow off work and need to decide where to go. Skied Brevent on Sunday so was thinking Avoriaz or Les Contamines for a change, but might consider GM now, although I imagine it'll get heavily tracked out today.
snow report
Steve77 wrote:
Dunny#1 wrote:

So the top lift at GM is finally open? I've got tomorrow off work and need to decide where to go. Skied Brevent on Sunday so was thinking Avoriaz or Les Contamines for a change, but might consider GM now, although I imagine it'll get heavily tracked out today.

Yep! You could't see all that much, but yeah open all morning for sure.
latest report

Lovely conditions at Flegere today. It's got a lot warmer. The slopes were quite empty, the pistes were good, the off was getting stiff low down but still nice higher up. Even a bit of sunshine.
snow conditions
Arriving at Cham on Saturday 😃👍 getting excited now.......
snow conditions
Sounds like a good few snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead on parade next week !
ski holidays
Sounds like a good few snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead on parade next week !
ski holidays
I'll be there too from next Wednesday for a few days. Hopefully a bit of a top up before then, if not it will still be so much better than I feared a few weeks ago. Smile
ski holidays
@Dabber, nowt good about the shower I'll be with wink
snow report
@Mosha Marc,jon's not out with you is he ???
snow report
@Dabber, not on this trip, but it is a group of Warren Smith refugees.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@moshamarc ,ill look out for a group of guys doing a perfect bracauge technique on grands montets Toofy Grin
snow report
A cold night last night following on from the warm day before gave us some lovely crystal growth, giving me a lovely blanket of powdery crystals to ski in on the Prarion.

A few of the well travelled corners are getting a bit brown, but snowmaking is in full swing and traffic is very quite so all should be good.

ski holidays
I'm another one arriving Saturday Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Do we know if the how Valle Blanche is filling up ??? Will it be skiable in the next fortnight
snow conditions
@Dabber, I saw a FB post this morning confirming the steps had been cut, ropes up etc - and I think saying it's now open, but please go with a guide. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: can't find the exact post, but there's one from Compagnie des guides saying excellent conditions on the VB - https://www.facebook.com/Compagnie-des-guides-de-Chamonix-240125139399792/?nr
snow report
@fixx, cheers , don't worry have got a guide sorted for four days over the next two weeks , just planning a few areas to explore Happy
Should be good next week with sun and low winds up high
snow report
Some sweet skiing at Brevent today. Off piste is really tracked (as ever?), and very mild for Jan.
snow report
Dabber wrote:
Do we know if the how Valle Blanche is filling up ??? Will it be skiable in the next fortnight

Yes - Ridge equipped, skied powder for 50% of vert. Ski down to Chamonix was freshly pisted! Getting off the glacier snout was a bit scratchy. First section a little wind affected but otherwise great + no people!

snow report
@Idris, cheers , looking forward to my first ever walk down the arete on monday / tuesday Very Happy
latest report
Idris wrote:
Dabber wrote:

Ski down to Chamonix was freshly pisted!

is this the james bond track ??? where does it start below the train track ??
ski holidays
The track is indeed called the James Bond track. It used to be a nightmare but last year they widened the bottom section and now occasionally run a piste basher up there. The top is still interesting. If you choose to ski all the way to Chamonix then you ski down the glacier a bit longer and stay well below the train track.
ski holidays

007 on Fatmap, it's a little up hill walk from the glacier to a small cafe on the ridge then run down into Chamonix. As the glacier retreats the exit gets sketcher.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy