Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix occasional picnickers 2016

Poster: A snowHead
I've just returned from a long, lazy lunch at a little bistro. Just in time for a decent nap before heading to the Jekyll Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, that was very fine, nice to meet/re-meet you all.

As the garlic cheese eating surrender monkeys say, "s'il est bonne a faire, c'est mieux a refaire" - or something.

U
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, lovely to finally meet you after a few years of trying.

You missed some good bits though, notably @Dunny#1's burger scale, hotness scale and cool scale. God forbid he should ever mix his meat with his women... wink

Some good skiing days ahead are on the cards with the Picnickers.

BTW, for those who weren't there at the end, we're heading back to Jekyll on Monday night for comedy night, let me know if you want to join us.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pleased the picnic went well , will be out on the 23rd to join in the fun :/)
Stay safe next week it looks like some major snow coming your way snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Sub_Zero_G Sub Zero G snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dabber, the avy risk has been sitting at 4 since I arrived, have been playing it suitably safe!

@Dunny#1, pfft, I'm politely ignoring the name change wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sub_Zero_G wrote:
God forbid he should ever mix his meat with his women... wink

Innuendo bingo gold Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's @Sub_Zero_G's fault. It started out VERY innocently...

Nice to meet you all!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi all,
I was kindly directed here by @Sub_Zero_G:

Quote:

@junglist_matty, post on the Chamonix picnickers thread. There are a couple of snowHeads in Cham for the season whose accommodation comes with parking but who don't have cars. One of them may kindly offer you their parking spot in exchange for a few ales Very Happy

Me and my partner are driving down (cheapest flights were £850 return!!!!) to Chamonix over the half term (yeah, it sucks; she's a teacher), should be arriving late evening on Sat 13th Feb, and leaving early morning Sat 20st Feb. When I booked a few months back I was told there was plenty of free, safe car parking near(ish) to the UCPA centre. However, I thought to do a little research last night and wasn't able to find much and the places they suggested are not free or suitable to leave the car unattended for 1 week.... We have no interest in using the car whilst in Chamonix as the buses are frequent, free and easy.

I'm looking for somewhere I could park my car for the week, so if anyone has an available parking space they would be willing to lend me for a week that would be amazing, I will more than happily return the favour...... I will have plenty of space in the car to bring supplies from back home (maybe British beers, foods etc.?) Very Happy

Thanks,
Matt.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I hope all you picknickers where out today as conditions where eccelent even before they opened Bouchard .
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A few got out there today, the rest of us have been felled by injury. If the snow was as good as it was in other areas over the past week then it would have been superb!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some good days this week for sure. Le tour today. Good to see you guys Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone fancy a bit of touring tomorrow (Tuesday Jan 26th)? All my partners are otherwise engaged for the day and I have been skiing GM for the last two days. I have gear and reasonable knowledge (though no formal avalanche training) and a good attitude. Otherwise, if anyone can recommend anywhere that reasonable for solo touring (i.e. no glaciers and minimal avy danger), I'd love to hear about it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Heading out March 5th to 12th, keep it snowing there now!!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@horgand, hey mate , I'm out from 5th -19th so maybe we can get that beer and a slide Happy
snow conditions
Sounds great Dabber, top man!
snow conditions
A quick question - how do you guys find mobile internet in the valley. I'm toying with renting an apartment but not sure if a dongle will do the trick and allow me to work remotely.

Cheers

snowHead
snow report
In Argentiere (and I think sames goes in Cham) I have an excellent Orange 4G signal, which works really well over the Orange 4G Mifi gizmo. However, you either need to topup in the tabacs or have a french credit card to topup online.

My Three free roaming deal works quite well, but maybe 2-5Mb, nothing like the 20-30Mb that I get from the Orange mifi.
snow report
@snowdave, Cheers.
latest report
I've got Free.fr 50GB for €20 a month. 30days overseas roaming included. Service is a bit patchy. I could get 4G in my old place (in a specific location by the bookshelf) and my current flat is only 3G. Bandwidth goes up and down a bit too depending on the time of day (7pm-9pm seems worse).
snow report
Beware, there's a a few gotchas with the Free deal...

- They have one mast in the valley, which is up the hill near Les Moettieux. Even just across the river on Marie Paradis, I very rarely get 4G indoors.
- They use Orange for infill coverage, but this only offers 3G.
- The 50GB deal requires you to be on 4G coverage. If you're using 3G, the limit goes down to 3GB.
- A decision by the French regulator means that Free signal on 3G using the Orange network (your phone will still show the network as Free) is now being rate limited. Currently 5mbit down, reducing to 1mbit in 2017.
- If you go over the limit on either network, you'll be traffic managed. It'll still work, but be pretty unenjoyable.

I also have a Three UK mobile. Now they've added Orange as a roaming partner again, it's reasonably good for general use (during the winter it was only Free/Bouygues), but it's also traffic managed by default, so it'll never be anything like Three in the UK, or a native Orange/Bouygues/SFR/Free SIM.

If it's important to you, sadly the best option is also the most expensive - Orange 4G on a native SIM.
ski holidays
talk of opening the 19th Very Happy
ski holidays
@eddiethebus, just Les Houches or more than that? (They've been saying 19th since the site went up for the season).
latest report
GM and les houches.

i'll never understand why they don't open le tour first as its more grass land than GM which looks more like the moon, but there you go!
latest report
Me neither.
ski holidays
Okay guys, just a quick bit of local info if you please.

I am a Cham regular and have an off piste trip every year with my mates. As an adjunct, this year I am taking the family for the first time, Mrs JPV broke her ankle recently and isn't able to ski. So, I am out with with two kids (6 and 10) both can ski pretty well for their ages.

Will do Brevent/Flegere; La Balme etc but thinking we will make a safari of it - Courmayeur, Les Contamines, St Gervais/Megeve.

I assume MB Unlimited is the only option for one adult and with the two kids?

Thanks,

JPV
snow report
@JeanPaulValley, I'd imagine so...
snow report
@JeanPaulValley, if your Mrs ankle is broken now, when are you thinking of skiing off piste. Won't it be fixed?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
not sure why MBU would be the only option. Not really sure if a 6 & 10yrs old kids will appreciate top bin or the midi Confused

although I think I may have misunderstood the question (that's happens a lot, pre coffee)
ski holidays
@eddiethebus, courmayeur, evasion mont blanc?
snow conditions
Think I understand, buying the unlimited for ease. I guess it just depends on each individual and whether they can bothered to work out how many days they'll do outside of brevent/flegere/letour/gm and whether or not they really care about getting the lift passes they need as cheap as possible Confused
ski holidays
MBU gets you the luge as well.

My 6 & 9 year old are big fans of the top bin.
snow report
@underanewname We are going New Year, she has been advised not to ski for 6 months.

I don't know about you guys but if I am in CHX then all days are flexible destination wise depending upon the weather, so it's impossible to decide where to ski too far in advance. So I guess MBU is the most flexible, least faff but most pricey. Looks like they have 6 days for the price of 5 so that may just seal it.

Is it just me or is the Companie du MB website crap?

I can't see the kids up the top bin, but would take them up Midi just for the view
ski holidays
It's just you.

No, seriously, the CMB site, like most ski station sites, is crap.
snow conditions
Pisting up the Grands Montets this morning

latest report
@under a new name, it's looking rather stunning up there already! Grrr...

Like last year, I can't stay the winter in Chamonix this year - but I have already booked a December weekend (17th), 6 nights over NY, and a Jan weekend in snowHead More to follow too I hope, but I won't even get as much time in as last year I suspect...
snow report
@JeanPaulValley, I've got a Cham RapidCard for the boys weekends etc but, like you, last season took the family to Cham for the first time and found the MBU the best pass - certainly for the amount it includes (the GM Top Bin, AdM, the Luge and the Swimming Pool are decent benefits - LH less so as we were there at Easter..) but also for the cost - last season there was a good discount if you got a family MBU - i can't remember if it was one child free or 1/2 price if you bought 2 adult passes - made a lot more sense than me trying to build up loyalty days on my RapidCard. Probably less compelling for you if your Mrs is not skiing.

I had many grand plans of trips through to Courmayeur or round to Les C etc but the reality was we did 1 day up Brev/Fleg, 1 at Le Tour and the rest were up GM - again, largely dictated by conditions but also kids were very happy to do other stuff in afternoons so proximity to accommodation/town was helpful. That may be because we do a more full-on (for the kids at any rate) ski week in the Dolomites at 1/2 term so 1/2 day's skiing is enough for kids at Easter but if you're going to stop after lunch, you want to know you're getting value from your passes and using it for whatever else you do do in the afternoons!
ski holidays
Well, I just purchased my season ticket so expect to be in Chamonix on and off through the season Smile

Hopefully I'll meet up with a few you at some point.
snow report
Anyone know of a good dog-walker in Cham? Thinking of bringing the pup with us at Easter next year but he'll only be 11 months old and is not used to being left alone for more than a couple of hours so we'd need someone to come to take him for a walk late morning...
snow report
yeah there's a few, just put a post on the Chamonix facebook page a week or so before and you'll get plenty of offers Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy