Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix occasional picnickers 2016

Poster: A snowHead
A place for Cham based snowheads to meet and chat.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jbob,
What's this all about then?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey, I'm an intermediate (red runs, some black runs) skier (25yo) travelling solo to Cham for a few days: 15th-20th January. I'm very much an "on-piste" skier thus far and will probably stick to the pistes during that time for the most part. Just wondering if anyone's up for a bit of a ski and/or a few beers during that time?
Thanks,
Nick
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@neck, I'll not be out until beginning of Feb so no good there I'm afraid.

For others I'll be out there from Beginning Feb to mid April and very happy to meet up for a few beers/skiing. Mainly off-piste/touring.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I really will be an occasional picnicker this year Sad

Currently 2 weeks booked 27th Dec - 10th Jan, and I'm planning another long week at the end of Jan (exact dates TBC, as they depend on other people) and hopefully another week or so in March or April.

Happy to ski pretty much anything/anywhere - I mostly like exploring and feel I've barely begun to know the place even after spending the last 2 winters there!

I always base myself in Cham Sud btw - I need my local apres bars and easy access to Chambre Neuf Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
my basket is ready and flask filled

out for two weeks end of jan/early feb and the a further two weeks in early march Very Happy
had my first taste of chamonix,s famed off piste and managed a couple of decent day tours into the higher places last year and am hooked , going to do some avi / glacier courses to enhance my knowledge , happy to meet up with fellow snowheads , and maybe share some guide costs .
my son is out in cham for the whole season and well into split boarding so will be trying to keep up with him ( nothing changes ) rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i'll be in monkey Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@eddiethebus, our first meet last year was in the Monkey but we had trouble finding each other. The Jekyll was more civilised.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 4-11-15 16:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Btw, Chris sold the Jekyll over the summer! It'll be interesting to see if there are any changes for this winter...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is the Jekyll the one on the road to the Hospital? Used to be an Irish bar? If so, I've not been there for well over a decade!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@MadMountainMan, Yes, but well, it's certainly changed...Chris who's just sold it took it a little upmarket (not too much) and introduced good food, cocktails comedy nights (but still much sports). It's now owned by some French folks who seemed (to Chris) to want to leave the (successful) formula pretty much alone.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Okay, @under a new name, that doesn't sound too bad Smile. There wasn't any sport back when I was climbing in Cham regularly though there was good food (mash tatties to die for) and it was run by a young Irish couple. However that was 19 years ago Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RIP comedy night I think Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll be out there for most of the season - advanced piste skier attempting to broaden my off-piste horizons! Would be very glad to meet up with anyone who's around for a few beers/interesting powder stashes Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.chamonet.com/news/more-benefits-with-your-mbu-season-or-annual-pass-chamonix-mont-blanc-valley-689502

Some good info here. You must use your season pass in Chamonix then register it in Megeve or St Gervais before it works in Les Contamines, no need to get vouchers from Montevers for cheap tunnel tickets for Season pass holders, they can be picked up directly at the tunnel entrance, 13.50 euro each way. Your pass will accepted from now, in the Chamonix valley.
snow conditions
@jbob,
Thanks for that, most interesting. The whole Evasion MB thing might turn out to be a real bonus.

@jbob, don't let me traips for an hour to some place without my coupons!
ski holidays
@HammondR, Les Contamines is a real bonus. Generally better snow than Cham, it doesn't get trashed so quick, plus there are some easy tours not on glaciers. I'll be going there a few days, also a bit of piste d fond in the valley for Mrs Jbob.
ski holidays
Got my season pass it post today 😎 Looking forward to visiting the new areas
snow report
Up for an occasional or frequent picnic all season Very Happy Out from the end of December - May so shall be stalking this thread frequently.
snow conditions
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2782815#2782815

A thought provoking article. Sorry to be down beat but worth twenty minutes.
ski holidays
Not down beat at all , just how it is in the real world ,
Great thought provoking read
snow report
When out for first jaunt in Jan , looking at booking a couple of days one on one coaching days to brush up on my off piste and steep ski techniques , had a guide from evo 2 last year who was great , but found the company quite unhelpful and unorganised , so any recommendations would be welcome snowHead snowHead
snow report
@Dabber, check out Alison Culshaw at offpiste performance.
She is a brilliant teacher, and no macho bull poo.

http://www.offpiste.org.uk/
ski holidays
@jbob, will do cheers snowHead
snow report
I've booked 4 half days with Alison in the first week of Feb. Hoping to do exactly that; brush up and steeps.
latest report
@MadMountainMan, probably see you there , planning on two days that week. edited too late shes booked up solid rolling eyes
snow report
Avalanche Academy are running their free lectures again this year at the Jekyel. You will need to book here.
http://tinyurl.com/pzhybxy

Well worth it if you haven't been before.
snow conditions
@Dabber, Sorry, I almost mentioned that she was fully booked for that week. Sad

@jbob, Interesting jbob. I'm planning on doing a short Avalanche course this year (it's been a while!), which I'll probably still do, but a little extra for free is never a bad thing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Avalanche Academy do a days course for £89, basic or advanced, I'm thinking about doing one, apparently it's hard graft and involves a bit of digging.
ski holidays
@jbob, both the free lectures and the courses are well worth it!

I've done both the basic and advanced courses before with Avalanche Academy, and am doing the Advanced one again this winter. I've been thinking about it and might do the basic one again too Smile

Basic - that's got all the digging, as well as a LOT of basic theory, in depth.
Advanced - no digging, but lots of map reading to start, detailed discussion about slope angles and aspects, how to pick your route, what you do in terms of prep and decision making before you hit the hill any day, and really detailed overview of all kind of factors and conditions.

And both include a full day out with a guide and lots of off-piste skiing Smile (Advanced a little more so).

I can't recommend them enough, and can't wait to do them again!
ski holidays
@MadMountainMan, @jbob, probably will do the foundation course on 30th Jan , and then maybe the advanced on the next day ?? Would like to do a crevasse rescue to but dates don't work
snow conditions
I'm booked onto the Advanced/Progression course on the 3rd Jan - no other dates work for me as I'm only out for two weeks at the minute. If I do the basic it'd be the 2nd Jan.
snow conditions
I'll have to have a look into it Very Happy (bit busy at the mo)

@Dabber, basic crevasses rescue is actually pretty easy so long as you are familiar with a bit of rope work.
ski holidays
MadMountainMan wrote:
I'll have to have a look into it Very Happy (bit busy at the mo)

@Dabber, basic crevasses rescue is actually pretty easy so long as you are familiar with a bit of rope work.

yep your right , got a mate whose well into his climbing so going to practice some rope work over here before heading out , then book on the progression course for avi refresher Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I'll be putting the tartan travel rug down in late Jan. Starting to get excited about it now snowHead
latest report
@fixx, I've booked on the progression on the 14th, not because I'm advanced just didn't fancy too much digging.
ski holidays
I'm an American traveling over to France to ski or a few weeks in January. I'll first be in Trois Vallees for a week and then Chamonix for a variable amount of time (maybe Tue Jan 26th-Sat Jan 30th or so). Since I'll get to do plenty of piste skiing in Trois Vallees, I'd like to take the time in Chamonix to do something a bit more epic and touring oriented - preferably even something that gets out to a hut.

About me: reasonably proficient skier, comfortable on almost anything on piste (but could certainly improve on the bumps) and some off-piste. My home resort is Kirkwood in Tahoe, which is generally considered fairly stout. I have some touring experience (and all my gear), but am definitely not an expert. I'm also an as yet terrible (due to inexperience, I'd like to think) powder skier. Finally, I am a very experienced rock climber (including having climbed in Chamonix in the summer), but with only cursory ice experience. Something involving some climbing combined with skiing would certainly be a top pick.

My thought is to use the early season (it's starting this weekend here!) and the week in Trois Vallees to focus on my weaknesses (especially the powder skiing when it's an option) and then go big in Chamonix. I'm not rich, but am happy to pay reasonably to make the most of my experience. I'd love recommendations for how best to spend three or four days (maybe five) days in Chamonix.

Finally, I have two free days of Chamonix Le Pass (upgradable to Unlimited for 11 euro or so) if that helps anything.

Thanks for any thoughts you can offer!
snow conditions
I'm packing the wicker basket for the season, in Chamonix from Sunday. So will be stalking this thread too.
ski holidays
Well hello there ladies and gents! I'll be there from 2nd Jan and looking forward to seeing you all again snowHead Let's organise a season kick-off meet at Jekyll to get things started.
ski holidays
@Zero_G,
Good grief, she emerges from hibernation!

Just returned home from the Halifax beer festival, and therefore best commenting further tomorrow.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 14-11-15 13:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy