Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix December-Feb

Poster: A snowHead
Hey,
I'm out in Chamonix from mid December through until the end of February on an extended holiday. I've got a few friends coming out for a couple of weeks here and there, but I'm solo for the most of it so looking to find people to meet up with.
Looking to get as much done off piste, or touring as possible but more than happy to spend a few days on nice groomed runs. I'm also planning on taking axes & a rack of screws out in case any one fancies some ice cragging or easy alpine routes.

I should probably add I'm a 28yr old average-ish skier and (fairly) decent mountaineer. I'm trying to do this trip on the minimum budget possible, so keen to avoid paying for a guide.
I'm looking at staying in Gîte le Chamoniard Volant for no reason other than that I've stayed there and i know it's OK, but I'm open about suggestions on where else to stay.

If any one is out over the period and after some company dont hesitate to give me a shout!

Cheers
Dan
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep, drop me a PM - I'll be about 27th Dec to 10th Jan, as will a few other snowheads all travelling solo and meeting up there (over various dates) - I spent the last two winters living in Cham, and happy doing a fair bit of offpiste, and just moved to a touring set up, so will be trying it out in anger over those couple of weeks!

No climbing for me though - ankle is messed up and can't risk it (skiing is fine and doctor approved/recommended, as apparently a ski boot is better than any brace or strapping they can give me Razz )

A few of the others will probs pop along to this thread in a bit too Smile Oh, and add your details to the snowbuddies list - very useful.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey @Dannski, I'll be out in Chamonix from Beginning of February until mid April and very happy to tie up. As it happens I also live near Inverness (Garve but I'm actually down south now until mid December).

I'm (gulp) over twice your age at 58 but I am pretty much exclusive off-piste, ski mountaineering and touring and also have a quite a bit of alpine climbing experience, though I've pretty much retired from that world now.

I'll be living in a motorhome, but if you can get a place I'd recommend La Tapia; it's just another 100m down the road from the Chamoniard considerably smaller and nicer and about the same price. I'll also be skiing with at least one other Brit who stays in La Tapia regularly.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dannski, sounds like there will be a few snowheads around in Chamonix early winter. I'll start a thread.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jbob, great idea! I'm so annoyed I can't do another winter in Cham this year Sad I'll be there as much as I can though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Would have put money on help coming from the 3 usual Chamoniard suspects above. What with them and the full on Dublin chaps (if you have the good fortune to make their acquaintance), you could have a very nice time.

@jbob, is this what the picnic business was about? I feel a bit of a nincompoop now!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Did a thread ever get started?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Oxymoronracing Notice you found it as "Chamonix occasional picnicker's 2016.

@Dannski, where were you last season when I had a mountain of gear and enthusiasm?

I am in town from about the 5th of January for the season, but domestic duties and technique polishing with Alison Culshaw will keep me occupied until 16th January. Would be delighted to meet up thereafter.

Climbing may be a possibility. Tore the cartilage in my left shoulder in June (SLAP tear). After 4 months rehab it is my 1st very gentle climbing session on Friday. Done lots of alpine climbing and UK winter in days gone by. If the gods are good, I would be delighted to give it a go. On a positive note, I am some weeks younger than @MadMountainMan !

See you at the after ski meet up on 7th January at the Jekyll and Hyde?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm around and available for selection from Jan 2nd to 9th definitely and maybe the week before also.

I know fixx and half of Argentiere which is my village of choice, so let me know if you want meet up & ski. I'm a 40 something , keen skier (expert/purple), who likes doing lift served off piste downhill, and I am happy to hike& skin to find better snow if it's on offer somewhere that day. (I don't skin for the sake of it though as I prefer sliding to climbing).

Love to meet up with any competent off piste snowhead, who is up for some fun and can put up with some bad jokes and cold baguette& cheese and still have a smile Smile)

P.s. who are these Dublin lads in Chamonix anyway!?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 2-12-15 17:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@horgand, the other Irish lads are (I think) the ones I introduced you to in Munster on St Patricks day last winter Smile I can send you photos to remind you if you like...!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Fixx,
That's ok, their faces are coming back to me clearer now that you mention them and since that Murphys induced fog so prevalent around paddies day has well cleared thankfully! Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Definitely! I get to Cham on the 28th, so plan to Ski on the 29th and am around until May Smile Think there are a few snow heads organised get togethers at that point too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'll be in the Chamonix valley 22nd to 26th December solo and looking to meet up with other skiers in the area. I'm staying in Les Houches but will be skiing and apres skiing in other towns between Argentiere and Megeve.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just booked onto this for the 26th December to the 2nd Jan in Chamonix - www.action-outdoors.co.uk/holiday/cart?GroupRef=51b2cb2c

Really good deal Smile

Including 23hours worth of lessons, food, ski hire, passes, accom, transfers
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@horgand, Never been to Chamonix. Going for 2 months in 2017. Planning to stay in Argentiere. Not into party scene, just skiing so looking for quiet surrounds. Is Argentiere the best place to stay or are there better options? Also, is Les Grands Montets all that it is cracked up to be or just hype......I am looking for blacks, not greens and blues.
Hope you can help. Information is what I need at present so that I do not stuff it up. Thanks.
ski holidays
rambotrader wrote:
@horgand, Never been to Chamonix. Going for 2 months in 2017. Planning to stay in Argentiere. Not into party scene, just skiing so looking for quiet surrounds. Is Argentiere the best place to stay or are there better options? Also, is Les Grands Montets all that it is cracked up to be or just hype......I am looking for blacks, not greens and blues.
Hope you can help. Information is what I need at present so that I do not stuff it up. Thanks.

if your looking for pisted blacks there are much better places to go than Chamonix. there's lots of challenging terrain, but only a couple (almost literally) of black pistes in the valley.
snow report
^^ yes. Chamonix is famous for its challenging and extensive off-piste rather than its quantity of challenging black pistes.

That aside Argentiere is probably a lot quieter than Chamonix itself. And Grand Montets does live up to its reputation for its off-piste.
ski holidays
rambotrader wrote:

Rambot,
As others have explained Chamonix & Argentiere are great for off piste & other all mountain activities such as ski touring, alpinism,etc but are not the best for classic groomed piste skiing. The 3Valleys would be a better fit for that kind of skiing.

Also Argentiere is cheaper than Chamonix, but Chamonix has a much better buzz about it. If i were u, &u are happy with the type of skiing in Chamonix (I.e. Freeride), then I'd look into hiring /sharing an apartment rental In Chamonix Sud for the 2 months (or season) as it would work out most cost effective I'd say. Chamonix is awesome, you'll have an unforgettable 2 months there i'd say.
Good luck.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 17-12-15 21:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
^^ +1 (especially that last sentence! Toofy Grin)
ski holidays
Hi. Will be heading out to Chamonix for 2 weeks possibly longer on 9th Jan. Would be great to meet up with people while I'm there. Average to Good skier. Staying in Chamonix Town. 34, keen to improve and take on some challenges and spend some time skiing with people. Ben
ski holidays
Hi

I will be in chamonix for 5 days 22nd Jan 2016 to 26th. Im just looking for company on the slopes plus a beer or so. am an intermediate skier. Age 34 male, professional.

Cheers

Duane
snow report
Heading to Argentiere from March 5th to 12th with my 2 brothers. We're all 40 somethings. (1 expert. 1 advanced skier and a bloody boarder (I know))

Keen skiers, like a nice meal out in the evenings and a few beers.

We'd be happy to meet up with kindred spirits.

We'd be ecstatic to meet up with 3 twenty something blonde females, who have sunny dispositions, low moral standards and a well exercised sense of humour. House work is purely optional

Smile
ski holidays
@horgand, there was a little more action happening over on the Chamonix picnicers thread, though not so much recently...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=121233

Anyway, you know I'll be there for a couple of days Smile nice meal - book a table at Bizes, opened last summer, very nice. Make sure it's for a night I'm there though!

Quote:

We'd be ecstatic to meet up with 3 twenty something blonde females, who have sunny dispositions, low moral standards and a well exercised sense of humour. House work is purely optional

Nope, can't help with that. Though I do know a twenty something blonde (well, ginger really) in Chamonix, very happy, possibly low moral standards, hard to tell as they're also a little naive - but it's a guy Smile And I'm expecting him to see this at some point and berate me for it Little Angel Twisted Evil
snow report
@fixx, Laughing Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy