Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alberta and BC 2015-16

Poster: A snowHead
Here goes for a general Alberta and BC snow and weather thread for 2015-16.

Fernie is looking rather white today Smile - though I'm still crossing everything ahead of our trip there in early Feb 'cos of the El nino situation... rolling eyes

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great news.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You off there too mcboz?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep, Banff in Feb. Lake Louise opened today...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quite a bit of snow last night in Lake Louise, looking nice on the web cams http://www.skibig3.com/web-cams/

Lake Louise:

Weather

Today's High -1 C / 30 F - Mainly clear with a mix of sun and clouds.

Snowfall

54 cm/21.2” past 24 hours

138 cm/54.3” past 7 days

194 cm/76.4” total

119 cm/46.8” base (Mountain Top)

Runs & Lifts

41/145 runs

5/10 lifts

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Am going to Kicking Horse on 2 January. Just spoke to a guide at Adrenalin Descents in Golden. He said they have double the amount of snow they had at this time last year and that conditions are already good. A resort webcam is here: http://kickinghorseresort.com/winter-main/the-mountain/webcams
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chrisJersey, looks like youll have a happy new year snowHead snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thank Dabber. here is what they said about the ''November to remember'': "Kicking Horse Mountain Resort received the most snowfall in BC this week. 161 cm, 63″ or 5.25 ft of blower snow has fallen giving KHMR top to bottom waist deep skiing. The November to Remember they said. In fact every hashtag out of Golden, BC has said it this week. And for good reason. The most recent 52 cm storm, bringing up to 10.5 cm (4″) per hour, has brought KHMR’s base to a whopping 238 cm, NEARLY 9 FEET! This has allowed the resort to have it’s EARLIEST OPENING DAY EVER. November 28th, 2015 will kick off the 15/16 season".

I am out to the Alps the weekend of 28.11 and waiting to see what we get in Grimentz/Zinal this weekend but don't think it will quite match up somehow.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Went to Sunshine last Sunday , which was great; really good conditions for early season. Hoestly better snow than most of last season. Going again today and will report back
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great day at Sunshine again today. Snow was really good. You couldn't tell it was early season. Trees laden with snow and blue skies. Chilly though
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sun Peaks opening day, powder.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Silver star opened yesterday, sounds like good conditions.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Powder Mountain in Whistler is opening early this year - I just had to tweak their booking system to allow people to cat and heli ski from tomorrow December 14.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can you tweak their booking system to get me in there? wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds great out there! Anyone been to Fernie??
ski holidays
stuarth wrote:
Can you tweak their booking system to get me in there? wink

wink I could, but the PCI-DSS and a bunch of other people would be down on me pretty quickly, I'm afraid.

(This is however my global heli-snowboard domination strategy: build booking systems for them, then they *owe* you. I may be serious.)
latest report
http://hemlockresort.ca/its-a-blizzard/
snow report
Ta philwig - never heard of Hemlock (until now wink )
latest report
@philwig, @mountainaddict,

Ambitious resort expansion proposed, as well:

•an increase to the controlled recreation area to more than 6,000 hectares from 350 hectares;
•an increase of approximately 20,000 bed units and an additional 23 lifts at build-out over a period of 60 years;
•an estimated capital investment of $500 million for Phase 1 of the expansion, with an estimated total $1-billion investment at build-out and,
•phase 1 of the expansion will create the equivalent of 1,153 full-time jobs.
snow report
@Acacia,
Not sure if this is a winter or summer expansion? Would seem a risky venture indeed considering the weather we have been having of late. However putting in a bike park (haven't read the link but assume this is in there somewhere?) would seem like good business, and it's right by Harrison lake - Whistler makes a ton of money in the summer apparently.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 14-12-15 17:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Having said that, and since this is the snow report thread - snow is pretty decent around here just at the moment snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Ta philwig - never heard of Hemlock (until now wink )
I think it's pretty safe from the hordes as you have to have a bit of gumption to get there.
You can ride fresh tracks on piste days after a storm there, and the snow's lighter and drier than the coastal stuff.

I'm not keen on expansion - they ruined White Tooth that way. It used to be closed one day a week, making the next day double-powder-bubble.
snow conditions
@stuarth,

Well, they're talking about a 4 seasons resort, with a lot of lakefront development (marina etc), and presumably golf courses. An additional 23 lifts seems a bit surplus to requirements for just a bike park and sight-seeing, so they must be planning to significantly expand the ski area (mind you, I'll be long gone in 60 years time).

The guidelines for winter access stipulate the requirement to carry snow chains, so whether they also plan to upgrade the access road will be a bellwether of their intent, I guess.

I've just been looking at the Whistler webcams: it IS looking good.
snow report
The road up there is a logging track, basically. So there's been one regular UK visitor driving 2wd summer tired hire cars up there, which is totally illegal and you should *not* do this. Or at least not when I'm there anyway. Since last year the hire cars come with winter tyres I think. Perhaps that's why there's only me there... ha ha.

They've been talking about expansion for years. Whatever.Stay at the hot springs, drive up there, it's all good.
snow conditions
Any reports on Revelstoke chaps?
ski holidays
On gnome cam you can see its snowed at revelstoke I like gnome cam.
snow conditions
Maybe about 30 or 40cm fresh in the Coquihalla this morning, a 2.5 hour tailback following the crash of a pickup and a "semi" truck (artic). 15cms today north of Kamloops, 15cm planned for tonight, and another 15 for tomorrow. Low avalanche risk, conditions are looking excellent.
latest report
Riding waist deep powder today in the Monashees. 40cm fresh in the last 24 hours, still falling. Avalanche risk low, which is just as well as there's too much snow to penetrate on the mellow stuff. So these are already better conditions than for the entire season last year or the year before. The machine has been turned back on, it's here, it's deep.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNMWpiZDJwoEg-XsWHQy7_S94AWzglz9OjVgKZhbu-lq3ibHuFrF3Z-bW7ULCXWjA?key=aEtyeGNZU3g5ZGxySVNTQ24zVEVmemR2X1g4U1dB

Or the drunken quick video edit:
Snowboarding in Blue River 2015-16 from phil 45464
https://vimeo.com/149608586
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flurries all day, but nothing significant on the fresh front. The snow from the last storm has consolidated a fair bit, speeding things up and reducing the depth you float at in most places. Still getting face shots on the steep stuff, still getting steep stuff as the slide risk appears low still. Colder temperatures seem to be coming, which may dry the snow a bit (it's not the lightest at this point).

Some GoPro frame grabs mostly from today:
https://goo.gl/photos/Fg1Zvkb3CtGQGW4x9

(It sounds like Utah's been hammered too - the Canyons road has been closed by the latest storm. I heard it was 30cm a day there for the last few days.)
ski holidays
Big flakes coming straight down again north of Kamloops. I'm not sure what anyone else is getting, but this looks like a repeat of last week (this is a good thing). There was some hoar frost the other day which may cause stability issues, but perhaps we'll get away with that. There must have been another 15cm so far today, and it's not showing any signs of stopping. The forecast is a couple of days of this, then some sun, rinse and repeat...
snow conditions
So yeah, another 30cm, 3% in Blue River. Sun Peaks should have all that.

Low avalanche risk means you can ride it... over the head powder turn after turn, it doesn't get any better. The sun's still forecast, but there's no rush for that. It's still snowing, although not quite so hard. More snow... snow, more..
snow report
Goat's Eye lift has apparently broken down at Sunshine. They had to evacuate the lift yesterday and apparently it could take some time to mend; someone mentioned gearbox
ski holidays
day 1 at Kicking Horse: blue bird all day, very little wind but nevertheless a bone chilling minus 20 to contend with. No material snow for some days now but pistes are in good condition. Tomorrow we are with a local guide from Adrenalin Descents. Report to follow. Some snow is forecast by the end of the week.
latest report
@gryphea, Read that Goat's Eye is back in action now, thankfully. How is LL and Sunshine skiing at present? We are off in a few weeks and starting to get interested in how the season is panning out.

Many thanks.
ski holidays
Anyone out in LL or Sunshine at the moment? Just wondering what the conditions are like?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy