Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just Back from Bad Gastein

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Fantastic conditions last week. It snowed constantly for 3 or 4 days and we ended up with an accumulation of about 70cm of fresh white powder by the end of it. I've never skied on so much powder before so it was a steep learning curve but it was amazing. It wasn't too cold or windy either, although visibility wasn't too good for the first couple of days.

The resort was full of Russians who appear to be fair weather skiers so we had quiet runs for the first half of the week. Apparently, the first week in January is the main week for Russian skiers and most stuck to the linked area of Bad Gastein, Bad Hofgastein but queues weren't too bad in this area. They also seem late starters so avoid the main gondola/funicular in both resorts between 10-11.30am. We were going straight on around 9am so get there early.

We visited Dorfgastein for the day, which is well worth the 25min bus ride as it's included in the lift pass. This resort has some of the longest runs I've ever skied with one red measuring 14km! Very few queues here and more tree-lined skiing so it's good for days when the visibility is poor.

We stayed in the Salzburger Hof which is a lovely hotel with excellent food. We also used the thermal baths which got a bit crowded but it's quite novel bathing outside surrounded by snow so I'd recommend a trip. Generally, most of the nightlife is restricted to the hotels but the Silver Bullet is a good apres ski joint with a live band on most evenings.

I’d recommend the resort for couples as the nightlife is a bit restricted but the town is of a reasonable size and watching the thermal waterfall steam away in freezing temperatures is quite novel! My one gripe is that the piste signage in terms of both directions and the volume of piste number signs is poor compared to other Austrian resorts and a number of times we ended up on the wrong piste or had to keep checking the piste map until we became more familiar with the area. The Ski Amade pass covers a huge area and if you hired a car and travelled around I imagine it would be fantastic value for money.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hayley t, Interesting and thanks very much for that - I am going there om 4th February for one week and have avidly been following the snow reports from the SCGB and as you say ithe snow is good with a solid base.

I have been there there before in 2004 and would highly recommend this resort for intermediates ( in fact in 10 year of skiing and about 16 trips this is the first time I have returned to a resort for a second time ).

I agree that the signage on the pistes could do with some improvement.

You did stay at one of the best hotel in the resort, the magnificant Salzburger Hof. I am at the Wildbad, 2 minutes next door, and the food there is absolutely brilliant and the service very friendly. After 4 year straight years going to Swtzerland this is a real find!.

Whilst there two years ago I did have an unfortunate accident in bad light, loosing a tooth in a bad fall on Sportgastein - but got the opportunity in a day and a half off to visit Salzburg ( a must do ) and walk in the Tauren Mountains ( some wonderful walks through snow-fields and surprisingly good lunch restaurant venues ).

Going back to ski the Sportgastein piste again! Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hibernia, if you like steeper runs get yourself over to the Graukogel - in good conditions it is epic. It is also the quietest of any of the Gastein ski areas.

Quote:

Apparently, the first week in January is the main week for Russian skiers

I think that is becoz of Orthodox Xmas falling in the first week of Jan, altho don't quote me on that! Courchevel and Andorra also get a large influx of Ruskies at that time of year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hibernia, the hotel was beautiful, very elegant. I'm not sure if you've already been but the Silver Bullet has a great band on between 3.30 and 5.30pm and is the main apres ski joint. We met someone staying at the Wildbad who seemed impressed with it. Sportgastein was shut for a couple of days probably due to low visibility and avalanche risk so we never made it over there. Next time!!

There is loads of snow there so don't worry. Although lower down the base was still forming and there were a few exposed parts towards the end of the day but by the time you go it will be fine I imagine. Enjoy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hibernia, Forgot to add that run no.H1,2/2a over at Bad Hof is awesome. It's so long with great variety. But I hated that huge gondola which swings around manically, so we caught the chairlifts back up after the funicular instead!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy