Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Missing Bits of PDS Telemorgins Demise

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone shed any further light on whether Morgins lift system will be open next year. I'm hoping that the news will be positive enabling access to the Corbeau restaurant etc see http://www.telemorgins.ch/#fr (there is an English version)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best I could find in the Swiss online press was this:

https://www.24heures.ch/vaud-regions/riviera-chablais/telemorgins-devra-fixee-sort-fin-mois/story/21867461

Sounds like discussions with the bank and other (potential) partners continue......

It has certainly been sketchy skiing down to Morgins from Chalet Neuf the last few March lads' trips (other than the day that had 70cm overnight).

Hope it gets sorted - it is a pretty key link
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bunch of us in Morgins for the annual lads ski trip 15 years ago - rain at resort level in January and the runs to resort were getting like hiking tracks by the end of 10 days !

Lovely spot, just too low to give reliable access to PDS.

Taught us a valuable lesson - go back to Espace Killy every year, at least you know the precipitation will be white.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@nelly0168, that's a large data set you have there rolling eyes

A few years back friends spent most of a week holed up in their VdI apartment - for a few days not allowed outside and then a few more as they did safety - all because of avalanche risk. Lesson being, don't go to Espace Killy as it avalanches all the time. Shocked

Mountains, eh?

In fairness, and for reasonable economic reasons (i.e. little/no investment) I understand that Telemorgins have been well behind most of the other PdS stations in installing snowmaking. Not that that's a universal panacea, but it helps.

As does specific valley location. Les Gets is at ~1,020m and on the West side of the Pds. Morgins is at 1,333m but East side and shaded from the dominant air flow. So I would imagine it's likely to get lower natural snow fall. So elevation is not the only factor. (Nor does one swallow make a summer).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
@nelly0168, that's a large data set you have there rolling eyes

A few years back friends spent most of a week holed up in their VdI apartment - for a few days not allowed outside and then a few more as they did safety - all because of avalanche risk. Lesson being, don't go to Espace Killy as it avalanches all the time. Shocked

A slight exaggeration? Even last year with Grand Balme in Tignes VC giving way, after epic dumpage, the EK was still open apart from one small area. The Belvarde, Solais and Fornet areas are almost avalanche free. As are the runs off Grande Motte, Palafour and Henri. The runs above Les Boisses can suffer in the March sun (they face East like Morgins) but you would just use the free bus to Le Lac if they were closed, or would download after spending the day elsewhere.

under a new name wrote:

In fairness, and for reasonable economic reasons (i.e. little/no investment) I understand that Telemorgins have been well behind most of the other PdS stations in installing snowmaking. Not that that's a universal panacea, but it helps.

The Morgins lifts were probably struggling to pass safety tests, as they are so old. Two man chairs with wooden slatted seats? More (unreliable) drag lifts than Scotland? Critical lifts on the Morgins section of the 'tour' often closed for repairs?

It's a lovely village but the slopes are low and sunny, so what snow they get has melted by lunchtime. It's not that there hasn't been enough investment, it is that there probably hasn't been any non safety critical investment, in lifts or snow making, in over a decade. The rest of the PdS puts Morgins to shame and it is no surprise that it has dropped of the map. That said, without it there, the 'tour' would seem to be missing a crucial section Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bar shaker wrote:
More (unreliable) drag lifts than Scotland?

Most of our crew are Scottish and got used to buttons and drag lifts when we learned to ski at school.

However, some of our lads switched to boards years ago, and had never used T-Bars on a board.........

We had several amusing days watching them try to master the long T-Bar after the first chair - without which you cant access the rest of the PDS.

This was back in the day when a few of us smoked, and I remember me and one of the other skiiers must have got through about ten fags each waiting on the useless bugs each morning - which was quite expensive at Swiss prices !!

Funny though Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@nelly0168, Even drags aren't pleasant on a board as they really take it out of your front leg, but they are easier to stay on than a T bar, when the terrain changes.

I suspect I would choose skis everyday if I lived around Morgins.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bar shaker,
Quote:

A slight exaggeration?

I am related what I recall of what I was told. My point holds.

Anecdotes are not data.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like will open for the winter, some details still to be finalised but main financing in place.

Good news.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Latest news appears to be here
http://www.chatelweb.com/chatel_snow_report.php
with confirmation of the financing here
http://www.telemorgins.ch/

Here's hoping
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's good news. I skiied Morgins on two trips about 5 years ago and came to prefer it to Chatel/La Chappelle area. Probably because it wasn't crowded. There's also a cozy little hut on the long blue down from what they call the Col du Portes Soleil, I think.

But, I agree, the geography is not favorable. i recall it raining in town and only turning to snow at the top of the lift.

I suspect you'll see a lot of "marginal" resorts closing in coming years.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@bar shaker,
Quote:

A slight exaggeration?

I am related what I recall of what I was told. My point holds.

Anecdotes are not data.

A bit like saying "don't go to the PDS as all of the lifts breakdown every day". rolling eyes

Your point is an anecdote... relayed to you by someone who was probably a black belt in embellishment.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@bar shaker, which is exactly my point!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy