Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2015/16 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@ousekjarr, my daughter is 15 and youngest son 12 (oldest is 1Cool. It has been years since they have slowed us down. My wife slows us all down BIG TIME
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ousekjarr, my daughter is 15 and youngest son 12 (oldest is 1Cool. It has been years since they have slowed us down. My wife slows us all down BIG TIME
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

http://youtube.com/v/Tqkyms2pe84
here is my 12 year old's view
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i will be staying in hinterglemm for a few days in a b&b, i will be on my own so dont fancy eating in restaurants, so what are my takeaway options in the evenings
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ousekjarr wrote:
@boabski, I think your daughter needs one of these...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/like-printed-Womans-T-shirt-Black/dp/B01APP7M9G/ref=sr_1_4?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1456388153&sr=1-4&tag=amz07b-21

I have that T-shirt Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@boabski, sounds very familiar wink

@compostcorner, options are fairly limited - pizza from Tanzhimmel, or you can pickup burgers from the Goasstal in boxes but that's about it from memory. If you have transport there are a couple more options in the centre of Saalbach.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The waiting is almost over,daughter and sil as advance party should be in saalbach this afternoon ,we last minute packing before last work related things to do then overnight ferry crossing and drive to resort to be there sun evening,looks to be plenty of snow with a bit more forecast,
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ski for fun, Looking forward to seeing you - and conditions are currently fabulous (sssh...don't tell "Eeyore").
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Conditions – last week in Feb 16
The conditions in the ski circus are in a pretty good condition – with plenty of nice pistes – off piste is limited. Ok all pistes could do with a bit more snow but given the recent lack of precipitation, they are holding up well. It also looks like plenty of snow is due the first week in March and hopefully with continued cold weather, the snow cannons can work their magic. Having gone to Saalbach for the last week in Feb for the past 4 years, the conditions are probably better than in prior years – when it has usually been very warm.

Fieberbrunn
Someone asked for an update on this new ski area – well I have to say that I wasn’t overly impressed but it is a little unfair to compare it to the main ski circus area, which has had a lot of investment in recent years. For starters, please don’t take any beginner or unconfident intermediate down piste F14 (the main one to Fieberbrunn down from the Tirol S) – it is pretty steep in places and I would say it is on par with many of the black runs in the area – just get the Tirol S down and back up the other side. The ski lift at the bottom of Fieberbruun is also pretty strange (it is the same as the Kolhmaisgipfelbahn - 5 red can lift in Saalbach) but you get on it, go up the mountain, only to have to transfer to another lift of the same (very slow) variety. Saying all of this, there is plenty of opportunity for off piste action and very easy to find plenty of powder fields between the main pistes. F8, F9 and F10 are nice runs.

Ski route – 60km
On one of the days, we took on the challenge of skiing the whole circuit (which can be found on the back of the piste map) which we measured to be 63km and 10,700 vertical metres. We started in Saalbach and went up the Bernkogel, as we didn’t want to ski on the Fieberbrunn pistes (around the Tirol S lift) when mogulled badly – as was the case the prior day. We set off at 8:30 and with a few breaks and a lunch stop, we managed to complete the whole circuit in enough time. In case anyone wonders, our rough timings were approx 9:50am bottom of Fieberbrunn, 10:45am top of Tirol S, 12:15pm top of Schattberg, 2pm bottom of Leogang, 3:30pm Berger Alm! If you are happy to ski black runs then this circuit is easily achievable.

Chicken man hut – top of Leogang – first place on the left when you get out of the Steinbergbahn lift station
I probably shouldn’t write this (as it will get even busier) but wow, what a place! Great location, great views and the best €8.50 chicken (Hendl) in the area. You can’t beat it but don’t expect to find any left after 1:30 – 2pm as he seems to sell out most days. If you sit inside on a hot day, don’t worry, as they can open the roof which is a very cool feature.
The ribs are also nice but not on par with chicken…oh and if you struggle with the black finger wiping pot that you get with either of these meals, all you do is push down in the middle and leave the solution to do its magic (you’ll know what I mean when you see it for yourself).

Leogang area
We always enjoyed skiing over that way, largely due to the north facing slopes and the Alte schmiede / Asitz restaurant but now with the new run 93, which is a pure delight for intermediates (and the chicken man restaurant) you cannot beat this area. We visited it a few times and it always seems less busy than other places – except the chicken man restaurant.

Overall
Another very enjoyable week, plenty of apres and the Berger Alm for happy hour (buy one get one free) is always good. Likewise, the Hinterhag is still providing a great atmosphere and we enjoyed visiting a few other bars this year, namely Ortzie, Underbar, Mangos – all of which were very pleasant. Most of all, we had the best guide / host in town – none other than Mr Tatman himself – thanks for a great week Richard.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ross52477, Thank you for the report, especially the last sentence Embarassed However you've modestly omitted to mention your biggest achievement of the week - consuming 2 helpings of roast chicken and a full rack of ribs + 2 bread rolls in one sitting at the Chicken Man's emporium, followed by a T-bone steak at the Del Rossi. The stuff of legends! Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Would there be any advantage changing sterling for Euros in resort as opposed to doing it here on the high street? Currently circa €1.25 = £1.00.

Kicking myself for not loading up pre-xmas!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hello
I need private ski instructor in Hinterglemm, next week. Can anybody suggest?
Thanks
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@northantsred, I wouldn't have thought so, but you could check current rates on offer by contacting either of the two banks here - Raffeisen Bank and Volksbank Salzburg. Many people, including myself, share your regret at not taking advantage of the pound's strength a couple of months ago, although historically it's still relatively strong and currently seems to staging a minor recovery.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Neptizza, I think Snow and Fun seem to be the biggest ski school in Hinterglemm. Contact them to see about private lessons. The OH, Jnr and I all had good group lessons with them last year (Jnr was in a different group to us).

http://www.skischule.com/html/englisch/kinderkurse.html
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm in hinterglemm at the moment and looking at a forecast for circa 30cm of snow on Wednesday night. Rest of my group are not really off piste skiers, and so far I've not been able to find a group to join, only private guides. Does anyone know of any off piste groups? Or is anyone in resort and fancies sharing a guide on Thursday?
ski holidays
It's looking very wintery on the webcams, how much has fallen?

The view has completly changed, it looks fab and I hope the winds stay quiet.

Greg
snow report
@northantsred, This week has seen some of the best winter weather of the season. Monday night brought around 10cm of snow in the valley and about 20cm on the mountains. Tuesday was cold and calm, while Wednesday was cold but sunny enough to sit outside and eat lunch. It started to snow heavily on Wednesday evening and continued through until lunchtime on Thursday, so much new snow on all pistes. There was also a sprinkling of snow Thursday night. Today, Friday, has been glorious sunshine and blue skies, with the temperature below zero and the pistes in good condition. If you know where to look, there was knee-deep powder off-piste.

Forecast for Saturday is warm, followed by an overcast, snowy day on Sunday. After that, it should clear up for the rest of the week.
ski holidays
brilliant ! Arrive tomorrow, much appreciate the update @quinton,
latest report
I've just finished an enjoyable week skiing but should of researched more before booking.

The pistes were heaving with Dutch and hence after lunch many pistes resembled a mogul course which were difficult to navigate.

We stayed in the Konig a nice hotel but too far to walk for my liking.
And I found many blue runs harder than previous resorts I've been to in Italy and France. Perhaps this was due to the chop.

Most enjoyable slopes for me were 92 and 93 over in leogang and the route from bernkogel to the lift at zwolfer-nordbahn.

And skiing down 56 and then 65 in knee high powder was marvellous.

Many thanks for the recommendations for hansis ski hire which was nearby. And the chicken man experience is not to be missed. Two visits there were enjoyed immensely.

Nothing to do with skiing but thought the whole area looked well maintained and really liked the gabion walls used for the WC near chicken man.
snow report
Quote:

The pistes were heaving with Dutch and hence after lunch many pistes resembled a mogul course which were difficult to navigate.

Puzzled what have the Dutch got to do with making moguls after lunch.
snow conditions
kabooooooom wrote:

We stayed in the Konig a nice hotel but too far to walk for my liking.

Really? Too far to where? It's a couple of minutes into town, or along the road to the Schattberg lift, and the Kohlmais is just up the nursery lift and across the road Puzzled
latest report
Quote:

what have the Dutch got to do with making moguls after lunch.

It's what they do - something to do with living in such a flat country.
snow report
Vast numbers of people equals busy chopped up slopes
Sorry for not liking the walk but wasn't an aspect I enjoyed

Apologies for having opinions of my own!
snow report
Plus lift across slope opened at 9 and we were out for 8.30 to get the best conditions
snow report
We returned from a 'lads' trip to saalbach on Saturday. I think we covered the entire area but I fell into my default mode of just being led. Which bit us on the backside when we got separated, missed a last lift and had to ski down a very chopped up 2b to vorderglemm! Made it on to the last ski bus with minutes to spare. Lots of snow on most runs but I've never come across moguls so big and close together later in the day before! Friday was best conditions of the week early on. And we had a blast over fieberbrunn. Sunny skies, excellent pistes. What more could you ask for? Apart from the monster moguls later on some of the days the only negative piste wise was blue 34a which we needed to get to our hotel. It was pure grass and mud at lower level except for one day when it hammered down. We never actually made it inside the goatstall! Went past a few times but once the lads had got a taste of the hinterhag alm that was that 😀 went to Bobbys bar a few times and castellos down stairs for the live music. Fed an ostrich over leogang way(I think)!!! Plus a few others I can't remember names of! Overall really enjoyed it, would definitely go again. Not a bad tally out of 16 blokes, one fell on ice whilst out drinking on first night! Smashed back of his head open. Stopped breathing and had cpr by his son (a fireman), two days in hospital,lots of stitches, ct scans, etc. Didn't tell his wife till he got home! A broken collar bone from our one and only boarder. A badly dislocated finger on the same guy who fell. I got away with just a black toenail from new boots that need tweaking!
ski holidays
Whitty wrote:
We returned from a 'lads' trip to saalbach on Saturday. I think we covered the entire area but I fell into my default mode of just being led. Which bit us on the backside when we got separated, missed a last lift and had to ski down a very chopped up 2b to vorderglemm! Made it on to the last ski bus with minutes to spare. Lots of snow on most runs but I've never come across moguls so big and close together later in the day before! Friday was best conditions of the week early on. And we had a blast over fieberbrunn. Sunny skies, excellent pistes. What more could you ask for? Apart from the monster moguls later on some of the days the only negative piste wise was blue 34a which we needed to get to our hotel. It was pure grass and mud at lower level except for one day when it hammered down. We never actually made it inside the goatstall! Went past a few times but once the lads had got a taste of the hinterhag alm that was that 😀 went to Bobbys bar a few times and castellos down stairs for the live music. Fed an ostrich over leogang way(I think)!!! Plus a few others I can't remember names of! Overall really enjoyed it, would definitely go again. Not a bad tally out of 16 blokes, one fell on ice whilst out drinking on first night! Smashed back of his head open. Stopped breathing and had cpr by his son (a fireman), two days in hospital,lots of stitches, ct scans, etc. Didn't tell his wife till he got home! A broken collar bone from our one and only boarder. A badly dislocated finger on the same guy who fell. I got away with just a black toenail from new boots that need tweaking!

Now thats a skiing trip!
snow report
I would just like to warn readers of a nervous disposition that @Whitty, 's experience is not necessarily typical! Shocked
snow report
Haha, there's a lot more that I dare not write down! It's not big and it's not clever, kids!! I do remember a phone conversation with my wife one evening say 'you lot need to grow up a bit '.
On a serious note though, fully recommend saalbach 👍
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Whitty,
Sounds similar to our "boys" weekend. Tally of missing goods amounts to....
2 lift passes, 3 pairs of goggles, 4 hats, a pair of gloves a helmet and return train tickets
Toofy Grin
Not bad for 9 of us!!
latest report
👍 We didn't do too bad on the losses front this time. Just reminded me that last year I found a nearly new pair of Smiths goggles in a cable car at mayrhofen. Handed them politely to a German goggleless guy who smiled and put them on.Feeling good about my good deed, turned to my mates to find them all looking everywhere for my mates new Smiths goggles! Turned back around, friendly German guy gone into the mountains 💰😂 My only loss this year was a jumper I threw on the floor in a bar cos my mates said I looked like a geography teacher! Was a bit nippy later on ⛄
latest report
Whitty wrote:
Haha, there's a lot more that I dare not write down! It's not big and it's not clever, kids!! I do remember a phone conversation with my wife one evening say 'you lot need to grow up a bit '.
On a serious note though, fully recommend saalbach 👍

Whitty - ignore the wife, dont ever grow up, we would miss these great ski stories.
ski holidays
@Whitty,
I did the same with my mates goggles in the hinterhagalm. Guy behind me picks up a pair and a glove and taps me on the shoulder and says "you've dropped these" "sorry they're not mine but the glove is, cheers".
Not until the next morning when the aforementioned mate is moaning at breakfast that's he's lost his goggles does it all fall into place.
Mrs Joe isn't on here but alot of the tales are kept between us too. Haha
snow report
The famous chicken man at Leogang received a delegation of Snowheads today: me, kooky, scarpa, radar and Mrs radar. (What is the collective noun for a group of Snowheads by the way - a "squabble"?) To say that he's come up in the world is an understatement - from a shack, to a stone hut, to Mama Thresl Mountain Club's extremely cool Hendl Fischerei in 3 years! The only downside for us is that I can no longer see any great incentive to visit the excellent Alte Schmiede and Asitzbraeu restaurants.
ski holidays
@Tatman, thanks for another great day showing us round Saalbach. My God that chicken really was the best on the planet....maybe I will get to have my own one next time Twisted Evil

Sorry about dipping off at the Hinterhag, I get a bit panicky when its that crowded, and as soon as I walked in I had to get out again. Scarpa did go in and try and find you but it was nigh on impossible. That place is bonkers Shocked

@Whitty, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
back home another exc hol in saalbach, with family first few days in tms apartment we needed childcare for 2 and 1/2 yr old well pleased,
care through snow academy no problem at all, and the adults were able to enjoy full days skiing, 2nd part spent in 5* luxury at the eva village . snow conditions excellent for first week of march fresh snow well maintained pistes just got a little soft later on the sunny days low down,managed to get to fieberbrun a couple of times first in poor weather 2nd a real joy as cloudy up in s/h but through the trees in fieberbrun had a blast and then caught the bus to leogang (20mins) which was quicker than the lifts and allowed us to get back in time for the bergeralm happy hr and hinterhag. the eccentric nature of the hinterhag is what makes the place it is possibly a marmite type exp for some but we love the place and fairly sure we came across WHITTY"S group who took over the top balcony on several nights but kindly made room for my wife to see the action ( grand lads) . we also enjoyed the odd 1/2 hr or more in burgis little shack, time and logistics seemed against us to meet up with other snowheads inc tatman other than for a quick beer but for first timers his guide/notes are a source of good info ,we drove from ne england across hull rotterdam 10 .5hrs on independent arrangements which allowed us flexibility in timings and realise that those on packages dont have that flexibility but if you can manage a saturday or 2 in resort well worth it as the slopes are almost empty other than day trippers and most of the hotels will take split bookings if you are early enough in your planning, more so than they used to,we met several people from various countries who we have bumped into before in saalbach and enjoyed the craic with all , we will return
ski holidays
Kooky wrote:
as soon as I walked in I had to get out again

We did exactly that when we first went there! It's a bit of an assault on the senses which is why I prefer to get there earlier and warm up!!!

I'm a bit gutted I've never been to the chicken man. Next time...
ski holidays
I need to think of some way of psychologically preparing people for the said assault. For the second time in a few days, we skied down to the Hinterhag, accompanied by 'newbies' and full of anticipation, parked our skis, led the way in, made our way through the merry throng, found an empty table (almost unheard of when the party's in full swing), caught the drinks waiter's eye, and then discovered that our companions had headed for the hills, so to speak.

For the future, I'm formulating a cunning plan to first sit people down on the balcony at the back (where there is a beautiful view and a haven of tranquillity), and then gradually introduce them to the party by means of occasional forays through the back door. Clearly plunging straight into the party through the front door isn't a good idea (except for those of us who are hardened to it), still less taking people upstairs until they're ready to make that progression.

From experience, we've found that people who manage to get past the initial shock, and who then get a beer and stick it out for 15-20 mins, begin to "get it" - it gradually dawns on them that there is order amongst the chaos - everyone is singing and dancing in unison, there is a lot of interaction with the iconic band (playing in there every winter evening for nearly 40 years), everyone has a smile on their face, and the surging throng are called to attention every few minutes by the band leader, Josef Solar's, famous rallying call: "'Alloooooo!"
snow conditions
@ski for fun, Glad you had a good holiday. It was good to meet you and Mrs ski for fun. Sorry I didn't say a proper goodbye at the Bergeralm - I didn't realise you were leaving straight away - thought we were all skiing down together. Hope to see/ski with you maybe next season.
snow conditions
@Tatman's Tours I'm not sure the gradual introduction technique will work, it's a bit 'all or nothing' with the Hinterhag. I would suggest the first time starting a bit earlier so they get into the swing of it, then next time (after your usual happy hour at the Burglar Alarm) they know what to expect....!! It worked for us anyway...the next time we were straight upstairs and dancing on the benches by the end!

Allllooooooooooo LOL
latest report
hinterhag reckon its a case of you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink,get there too early and the crush puts a lot off, for us best time is when the first hordes start to leave then stay while later upstairs near the band, whats made the place more crowded is the fact that 99% of folks have a helmet that needs to go somewhere and those folks who go there wearing a rucksack should be shot, tatman, sorry we missed saying proper goodbye but time was pressing and thought you were with others and we would have caught you later, me not hearing phone as well as once did or able to read texts without glasses means contact when wearing ski kit is not the easiest job
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy