Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2015/2016 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
By this time next week I'll be skiing there; bring on the snow snowHead

Does anyone know if there's a bar in Les Carroz that has sports on? There's quite a bit on next weekend Embarassed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the corrections it's a wonder I can find my way anywhere. It has snowed all day and still snowing heavily in Morillon village. There is great cover everywhere even down to the low areas. If it keeps up I would think run to Vercland and Morillon should open over weekend. At least 6 inches on railing outside Le Bon Coin bar in Morillon. All corrections please send to my secretary at idontreallycare.com. Lol. Had a great day today. Another great ski trip comes to an end. Anyone coming next week will have excellent conditions all over Grand Massif. Enjoy.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mosha Marc, yes, the St Jack always seems to have sport on.

Great day today, as @snowmam says it's snowed all day. Quite a bit of wind, too, and poor visibility at times, but great down in the trees. Looks like there's plenty more snow to come over the next few days, too.

Pistes were quieter than I'd expected, given that it is still Paris holidays. Many of those that were out seemed to have brought their Paris manners with them, with much pushing and queue-jumping evident whenever there were busy lifts.

Only downside of the day was that OH's lift pass disappeared from his pocket, this year it's not only €1.60 for a new card, but also a €10 admin charge. The photocopy of the passes that we each carry speeded up the production of the replacement, as it saved them looking anything up.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mohsa Marc, I'll be there too next weekend at Morillon 1100, but sadly there only appears to be one bar (the Oak Barrel) and it's not clear from their site whether they show rugby Puzzled
Glad to see snow falling again and topping everything up after the (seemingly endless) weeks of school holidays.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowing in Geneva airport. Incoming flight delayed due to snow in Dublin how ironic. Hope we get out before it accumulates.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks sj1608, we should be able to trek to Place de L' Ambience from our Hotel, but we'll need plenty of refreshment after a trip of that length.

jamescollings, I'm also getting excited about the snow, just hoping that temps keep low too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Back on Sunday, can't wait, conditions sound brilliant.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mosha Marc, which hotel? Sounds like you may need refreshment on the trip from the hotel to the St. Jack, so we should be planning a route for you! wink

Interesting day weatherwise. It started overcast but the sun then came out in a slightly watery way. After that lots more snow, down to Morillon 1100 at least. The link to Flaine was closed all day, and the one to Samoens was closed by lunchtime, due to the wind. The Carroz telecabine was running slowly, with the cabins swaying about. By mid-afternoon it was raining in Les Carroz, and it's still raining now.

Pistes were in great condition today, and the extra top up of snow can only help, with more forecast for Saturday and Sunday. Should be a great week for those arriving this weekend.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There was loads more snow overnight, and it was still snowing heavily this morning. Very few people about - we had a cabin on the telecabine to ourselves at 9am. The new snow was very wet, so hard work (I just try to think about all the calories I'm burning!) and visibility poor, but great to have quiet pistes. By about 2ish our legs had given up, so we came back to Carroz. At which point it stopped snowing and then there was bright sun and blue skies for about two hours before it clouded up again. It's now snowing quite heavily again.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yesterday morning conditions were excellent again across Les Carroz/Morillon/Samoens, slopes were quiet now school holidays have ended, there was ample powder off-piste all around. A sunny day today, cold temperatures and a bit more snow tonight will be added bonuses.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great conditions again today, skied Les Carroz, Samoens and Morillon and all were quiet with pistes in great condition. Lovely and sunny this morning, even had a picnic at the top of Morillon enjoying the views......although we had to sit on the table rather than the seats as the snow was too deep! Now clouding up with a bit of snow forecast for later.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Went skiing this morning, agree with sj1608, conditions are the best I have skied this year. There was a bit of a queue at the Chariande Express but after that it was fantastic.
Roll on tomorrow, should be great skiing again.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wonderful conditions again. Clear blue ski first thing this morning. They triggered a large avalanche this morning above the top of the Aujon drag and once they had cleared the debris off the piste the drag opened. Some wonderful untracked snow off to the right as looking back down and no or very small queue to get back up the drag again. Lindars Nord chair opened at about 10.30 and although not officially open Agate provided some wonderful runs, again through untracked powder. As others have said above, definitely the best conditions of the season so far. A little bit of snow fell in the afternoon and the light deteriorated, but I'm not complaining! Only out here for a few days but so glad I have come out.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Chris Mason, that must have been some avalanche to reach right down to the piste! I could hear blasting from Les Carroz this morning, too, but didn't see any evidence of what had been triggered.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just back from a long weekend in Flaine, excellent conditions on and off piste. Thanks for all the running commentary on conditions before we went out. Greatly appreciated, off to Tignes in four weeks, so will be tuning into Steve Angus from now on. Enjoy the rest of your season Grand Massifers!! snowHead
snow conditions
@ski six, I feel like the season has really only just begun! Our first four weeks here were pretty short of snow, but we've had great conditions for the last week and plan to stay for another couple of weeks. Enjoy Tignes!
ski holidays
We have had 2 days on the mountain and the weather has been perfect. Had a great day in flain Monday with sunshine all day.

We are saying in carroz and this morning have woken up to at least 5" of fresh snow but unfortunately it's still snowing pretty bad and not a mountain in sight Sad
snow report
@Ian_86, just take your pick from the forecasts for today - some say that it'll snow all day but others that it'll stop and the sun will come out. Even if it doesn't, then you should be fine skiing in the trees in Les Carroz and Morillon, which was what we did in the same conditions last week.
snow report
About 6 inches of snow in Samoens village this morning, still looks a bit cloudy maybe more to come.
snow conditions
Still cloudy in Les Carroz, but out of the window I can see the sun hitting the end of the Aravis, so hoping it's heading our way.
snow report
Just got back from a great days skiing, because of the cloud and the poor visibility decided to stay around Morillon and Les Carroz. The snow conditions were fantastic, fresh powder everywhere, quiet pistes, some times deserted, no queues anywhere, apart from the changing visibility,it was perfect.

Terrible visibility on the first half of the run back to Samoens, but when you came out of the cloud the final part of Marmottes was as good as everywhere else.

I think there is some sunshine forecast for tomorrow if so, off to Flaine.
snow report
Another brilliant day. It has snowed most of the day and is now snowing quite heavily here in Flaine. On piste got quite bumpy as the day progressed but the off piste was beautiful. Early on the powder was light and fluffy but got a bit heavier as the day wore on, or was it just that my legs were getting tired? To the left off Rubis had some lovely deep powder leading down to the Aujon run and under the Tete de Verds chair was equally good. The visibility up the top of the DMC was not very good so staying a bit lower was the better option. It seems to get better and better at the moment.
snow report
Woken up to clear sky and sun shining. Promises to be a beautiful day.
snow report
A lovely cold and sunny morning here in Samoens village, looking good for today's skiing.
snow conditions
Lovely conditions and weather everywhere that we skied today (which was all 5 resorts, for the first time ever!). Gers, Cascades and Doina were all open. We did Cascades, but as usual it was hard work, and there were rocks in the icy bits at the bottom, too, just to add to the experience. However, the views were at their best and made for some good photo opps.

It's now clouded up a bit, but the forecast for tomorrow is for sunshine again. Looking good for those coming out at the weekend.......
snow conditions
Running out of adjectives to describe the present conditions, but epic and magnificent come to mind. Skied with a guide today, 6 of us plus him. Started on Pente de Jules (so much powder it was a dream), then into the Gers Bowl. Did a total of 5 runs down to the bottom (which meant 5 drag lift journeys back up again!), never going remotely the same way twice. One of the routes in was off the top of the Veret drag, not for the faint hearted and one I never thought I would have the nerve to do. We were skiing untracked powder all day, a lot of it knee deep, and on the last run down to the bottom our tracks were the only ones visible. Thank you, Philippe.

Sadly I have to go home tomorrow (work sometimes gets in the way) but will be out on 26 March for one final week. I hope all of you in the GM area over the next few weeks continue to enjoy what are without doubt the best conditions of the season.
snow report
@Chris Mason, I'm arriving tomorrow. After reading that I was going to ask if you fancied sharing a guide!
snow conditions
@Chris Mason, terrible thing work, interfering with skiing holidays, especially when conditions are so good, sounds like you had a fantastic last day.

I was going to go to the Gers bowl, but found out Cascades was open so decided to do that, it was fantastic most of the way but as sj1608 said, rocks and ice at the bottom, will go to Gers tomorrow.

Another superb day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A beautiful sunny day here in Samoens, should be great skiing.
latest report
I think you would call today a blue sky day, weather and snow conditions were superb.
snow report
@bobrun, totally agree. Marred only by falling off the Lindars Nord chair lift by not sitting at the right moment. Embarassed I'm sure it must have entertained the lift queue. The guy I sat next to on the lift said I was the second person he'd seen do it today, so that made me feel marginally better!
snow conditions
@sj1608, sorry to hear of your tussle with the Lindars Nord chair but not too bad if only pride hurt. I braved that same chair today, the runs off it were superb.

So yet another fantastic day, sunshine, great snow conditions and no queues. The weather forecast says the same again tomorrow, even though it is just starting to cloud over.
ski holidays
Totally agree with @bobrun. The only real queue was at the Bergin chair, caused by Sairon chair breaking down. No idea why, but it seemed to have zero impact on queues at Esserts chair and a big one on Bergin. Just checked the GM website and it appears that they expect it to be closed again tomorrow.

Landed up chatting to a local on a lift about the silly things people do at lifts (standing sideways, blocking everyone, waving skis and poles around, etc.) and he mentioned a film called 'Les bronzés font du ski' which he said summed it all up nicely and could be quoted about/at anyone annoying you in a queue and they would understand immediately what you meant. Just wondered if anyone has seen it?
snow conditions
Sairon has been broken since we got here (Esserts) on Thursday. The motor is broken.
The sky this morning is clear (as it was yesterday). Snow remains deep and crisp and even! Best outcome for me is the news that the Oak Barrel will be showing the rugby later Very Happy
snow report
Another lovely sunny day, thanks for the update on the Sairon lift, I will avoid Morillon today, hope you get to see the rugby.
ski holidays
It has been a great weeks skiing but today is the last day for this trip, back in about a fortnight, hope conditions are as good.

Slight change in snow conditions today, a bit more Spring like, but the weather was brilliant, and it was a great end to a great week.

Bon Ski.
latest report
After a changeable forecast, which landed up last night saying we wouldn't have any snow or rain, we've woken to a dusting of fresh snow in Les Carroz village, and it's still snowing very lightly now. The forecasts for today are in complete conflict....but the one that says it's sunny now is definitely wrong!!
snow conditions
Great news, arriving lunch time Friday for the weekend. Any ideas how Gers bowl is looking/is it open? In January I bought the 'Happy days' weekend pass however it isn't on the grand massif website any more. Does any one know if they're still doing it?
snow conditions
@outsidehalf10, Why not look on the GM site for what is open? Gers drag not running today. It has been. This weekend? who knows until it is the weekend.
latest report
Thanks for the useful post @ian999. Completely aware I can check if it's open on the website, or the app. As far as I'm aware it doesn't state what the conditions are like, is it worth travelling over from Samoens, is it cut up/tracked out.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy