Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2015/2016 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
First day today. Spent the morning in Flaine. Pistes in excellent condition, although it was very cold. Lots of fluffy stuff just off the sides of the piste provided some good fun. Went over to Carroz this pm, conditions pretty good all the way down to the bottom of the telecabine.

The road in last night was covered in packed snow so pleased to have snow tyres and 4x4. Some vehicles coming up were struggling if had no chains.

Looking forward to the rest of the week.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A superb day in Samoens today. Went up early to make most of fine weather and did not stop for lunch until 2:30, after a beer and a good feed we were done. Unusual for us to ski for so long as Mrs Basil gets a few aches and pains but all was well and only the victim of fatigue.

Cold first thing, car indicated -12C in the valley, with nicely bashed creaky snow. We mainly skied Marmotte and at times we had it to ourselves, wonderful, and the views across the valley from there are spectacular.

Looking a bit warmer for tomorrow with a chance of sleet/showers but may make our way across to Morillon and Les Carroz, if Mrs Basil wakes up.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Warmer tomorrow? Says who??

http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/evening/6_days_weather_forecast.php
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, Get my info from Weather for France app for Samoens. Not expected to be -12c again, more like -2c first thing to 2c later. App now showing light snowfall for AM tomorrow when earlier suggested sleet/rain.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
An amazing morning skiing yesterday at Les Carroz, Morillon, and Samoens. A bit icy at the bottom of the long runs down into each resort - Combe, Sairon, and Marmotte, respectively (La Forestiere was a better way down to Les Carroz) - but the skiing at higher levels was fabulous, as were the views and the lack of crowds.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
light snow this morning Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Amazing day, powder was superb, snowed all morning, not many people about, off piste was just empty, unlike Sunday, all around corbalanche was really really special, legs lasted 5 1/2 hours so not too bad! Why can't all days be like this one..............

@sullidav, Icy??? man made snow lower down makes it a little bit hard on piste, but its not icy, its about as good as it gets.

They were running the cannons this morning until quite late on Upper Combe just below the gron lift when i was riding up it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
now seems to be warming up, all the snow on roads/ paths in the village is melting/ melted
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skied from Flaine down into Carroz, Morillon and Samoens today. Superb conditions everywhere. Had about 10 cm of snow overnight and it snowed lightly all morning and through till about 2.30 this pm. Was definitely warmer today, but got colder in the afternoon. Flaine bowl in late pm was cloudy above about 2000 metres, but not complaining!! Had a lovely lunch in the restaurant close to the bottom of the Molliets chair.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We got back last night, and had a great few days of brilliant pistes. One observation is how friendly and happy everyone we came into contact with on the Massif side was, especially the staff in the lift office and various cafe's and restaurants. Will be back next year I expect.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Only one more sleep until I fly out for the first time this season. Can't wait. Conditions look and sound almost perfect.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Still lots of snow, just not a light as before as it is warmer, does not feel it howver as rather damp with very low cloud from about 12 onwards

wanted to go down to vercland as grand cret is one of my favourite runs, even if not very difficult and it was all closed....grrr

so went back to tete des saix, and found the blacks chamois?? and agile noir plus the edges of them have brilliant powder snow, even if it was a bit foggy Shocked Shocked

went back to les carroz, and much better vis in trees so stayed there, felire was very nice indeed.

One annoying bit was one particular lifty insisting back packs off on gron, mine is totally smooth with no straps or anything sticking out, but its a pain to get off...so he makes you take it off and then you get on the lift, straps hanging all over.... Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had a great morning blasting around on the lovely blues and reds of samoens and morillon. Also tried to do the run down to vercland only to also find it closed, although it did look pisted at least at the top.

Fingers crossed we get the forecast sunshine for the the next two days to fully enjoy the wonderful on piste conditions.

Anyone got any idea if they will open the gers bowl anytime soon? Assuming it's not safe yet after all the snow over the last week or so.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gazatron, Spoke to a local guide last night and he said they are still worried about avalanche risk in Gers bowl

I also tried to ski to Vercland yesterday, very frustrating because it is a lovely run down

Conditions good in Flaine bowl today until around 1pm when the cloud came in and vis this pm was rubbish. Still only around freezing in Flaine with very light snow/sleet falling. Noticed that they were clearing snow around the bottom of the Lindars Nord chair this morning and they were blasting the slopes above Fred yesterday. Maybe Agate and Fred are due to open soon........
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
what a day......sunny (well a bit of cloud 1st thing) and gers opened, it was very brilliant, especially lunchtime when it was empty. A few rocks about in the bowl in places, and lots of avi debris about, then on the way back went up high above sepentine, which is my usual route back and big rumble and snow just poured of the cliffs above.......gulp

Flaine a lot busier than elsewhere, snow on north side of tete des saix was tres bonne as well.

Too tired to write anymore.....need a sauna as my legs are totally stuffed..............
ski holidays
@Zorrac, we're not as adventurous as you, but also had fantastic day skiing between Les Carroz, Flaine and Morillon on piste. Plenty of sunshine, but it's apparent even on piste in a few places that a little more snow would be good.

Good forecast for tomorrow, need our legs to recover before then!!
snow report
@sj1608, Yes does need a bit of snow in places, my route home is felire and then lou darbes, and there were quite a few stones at the bottom of lou darbes.
ski holidays
I spent a magnificent bluebird day today in Les Carroz and the conditions were perfect all the way from top to bottom. South facing slopes were getting a bit chopped up/bumpy/soft late afternoon.
snow report
Bumps day, so my legs are really stuffed. Corbalanche was perfect bumps, as was chamois from tete des saix, so that together with a few others means a bit tired. Still some powder about Very Happy Timalets was very pleasant on the way back, first time down it this season!!

only downside was felire is shut, no idea why as it was fine late yesterday
snow conditions
Spent the day in Gers bowl. A bit tracked out but still some untouched powder to be found.
Been great with fresh snow early in the week.
Samoens is a gem.
snow conditions
Sitting in hotel le Flaine lounge as we're not being picked up until 2pm today. Had a great week in the grand massif with a cloudy but powdery start and finishing off with a couple of lovely bright sunny days.

The early cloud from this morning seems to be dissipating and it looks much brighter higher up.

The snow has been some of the best I have skied on and yes it's getting a bit chopped up towards the end of the day but those coming in the next couple of weeks should be more than happy with conditions unless you're expecting knee deep powder.

Now to turn my attention to the Montgenevre thread for March....
snow conditions
Saturday 23rd Jan

Rained last night, with some weird fresh snow at top of tete de saix, about 2000 metres. Has really warmed up and now is rather soft in les carroz. Still some powder off tete des saix (and a bl**dy rock...grrr) Samoens noticably harder snow than les carroz. Corbalanche was super as per normal, but one or two bits sticking out near the bottom.

rather busy this afternoon
latest report
@Zorrac, we didn't ski today (the penalty of having your own place being the associated diy!) but came up the mountain a few minutes ago and there was a huge stream of traffic coming down, far more than we expected.

Looks like Samoens for us tomorrow, then.......
ski holidays
@sj1608, spring and summer is the time to do DIY!! There was the usual large traffic jam in the village and it stank of diesel fumes. It was a bit like feb.....
snow conditions
@Zorrac, yes but our legs need a rest, too, so a bit of diy in winter is allowed. Toofy Grin

We now have a working oven, in contrast to the grotty rusty microwave that was here when we arrived.......
ski holidays
Really warm and sunny, pistes getting rather soft (very soft down into les carroz) in the afternoon. Bit hard with lots of marbles in the morning. Corbalanche was solid icy moguls with some nice frozen marbles this morning, rattled the teeth.

However get on a north facing slope and the snow was still powdery.

Much much quieter than yesterday
latest report
Sounds as if our decision to go to Flaine was a good one!

Mephisto Sup opened just as we got off the DMC, so had the pleasure of skiing one of our favourite runs (it's the views....) without too many other people. Fred also open, but unpisted and quite hard work in a few places. Lindars Nord lift appeared to be having problems, was stopped for several minutes before we got on and then three separate lengthy stops while we were on it.

Lower down a few icy patches, but nothing too much. And fewer bare bits than in Les Carroz, too.

Beautiful sunny day, just glad to be in the mountains when it's like this. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
How's the conditions in Les carroz guys , I'm back out in a couple of days Happy .. Looking forward to early feb more snow !! ( fingers crossed that is !!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Brooksy69, spring like, hard first thing, softens up by lunchtime. A few runs closed, but not much mainly lou darbes and felire. The odd brown bit, but its ok at the moment.
snow report
@zorrac
Thanks for the update .
I take it the roads are clear in resort too then ( motor homing it ) .. Cheers
latest report
@Brooksy69, yes completely clear. I'm glad for you, but in some ways wish they weren't. wink
ski holidays
@sj more snow is on its way in early Feb so the forecasts are saying .. So hopefully a few little dumps here and there will give us all some powder to play in and give a much needed top up to those resort runs as predicted .in out for 3-4 weeks so fingers crossed ...
latest report
Spring skiing

Very soft and lovely from about 11am. Lots of slushy bumps, but some brown patches in places, (large one at the top of timalets) but basically still all ok.

Not many people about really, luchtime was very very quiet, had marmottes into samoens just about to myself just before 2pm.
snow report
Off to flaine in the early hours of tomorrow morning. ......CAN'T CHUFFING WAIT!!! gonna have a cheese board and a port now to celebrate. Will keep people updated on conditions when I'm there. ......wohooooo
ski holidays
@Coolie77, you'll be well on your way by now, and I'm happy to report that conditions in Flaine were very good yesterday. Despite the lack of fresh snow, the pistes are holding up well and it is also pretty quiet. A few clouds about but mainly sunshine.
ski holidays
Still spring skiing, bit cooler so not quite a soft, even quieter today. Lots more brown patches and rocks sticking out in places. Supposed to snow a tiny bit tonight, but then quite a lot on Sunday and its starting to need it in places.
snow conditions
Oh dear 4 weeks to go now I'm watching thread too often. Freaking myself out. Why do I do this?? We have never and I mean never had a bad week in Grand Massif and I think this is 6th time. We only ski 1 week usually per season we've been Dec, Jan, Feb had one or two write offs as in...a day shopping or chilling or sledding /making snowmen due to torrential rain or snow but always skied x lots. So... Not stressing about whether cascades/ marvel/ doine/ laberieu etc will be open just gonna enjoy. Roll on 26th Feb. 1st grandchild joining us this year. Too little yet to ski but will be lovely. He will be 1 and 4 days old. In no time he will be up skiing but maybe just a gentle toboggan this year. Lol 😍😍⛄️⛄️
latest report
I agree with you. Sparse in areas. Especially the marvel run. Boarding on grass on the lower area's. Definitely better higher up. Off piste is a bit harsh. Back at hotel now. Still hung over from last night's blow out. Legs aching too. Roll on tomorrow!!!
snow report
Even more spring like, going down red chamois back to from tete des saix at about 3.30pm it was very very slushy with bare brown patches. Bumps from tete des saix into samoens were nice, but then the runs down to charande express were very soft and in places lots of brown. Timalets had lots of brown bits of earth and rock showing at 4.00pm. They are working marvels (haha) fixing things but its so warm. However i do love slushy bumps!!

Marvel in dodge conditions will always be dodgy as it has no snowmaking, sairon was fine, just soft and a bit brown near the chair

If sundays forecast happens, then the freezing level starting at 1500m then rising to 2000m, with heavy precipitation, lower down is going to be wrecked, the tiny bit of rain last night did a bit a damage low down, and melt is pouring off my roof.

Last day tomorrow for two weeks, then its the mayhem of French half term. It was so quiet today....that will change!!
snow report
I didn't think the conditions were too bad either to be fair , was my first day back on tired legs after the drive from Calais , skied till 2.45 then I was getting too tired so called it a day .. Think I'll buzz over to Flaine Tomoz ..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy