Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yes - Snowboards?

Poster: A snowHead
Alright troopers,

Anyone on here know anything about YES decks?

Seriously considering changing my mind on the Jones and going for a YES - The Greats in 156.

I notice they are slightly cheaper than a lot of high-end stuff do they have the quality?

Am i right in saying that you can order a YES board with any of their graphics or did i dream that?

Anyone got a Greats?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've a '14 PYL that I got at the start of last season. It's really well made, as good as any I've seen. I only got a single day on it because of the crappy snow last year but it seemed great and what I was looking for. Not sure if they've changed factory's since then (possibly?). The Greats gets great reviews. I don't think they're particularly cheap? Maybe when compared to Libs but then Libs are stupidly over priced in my opinion.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I love yes snowboards. I've owned a big city which my brother uses now and I have a jackpot. I've ridden the greats and the basic. The build quality is exceptional and I love the ethos of the company. They only have a small range of products so they can create great snowboards each with its own character. Riding the greats though I thought it was a stiff ride which wasn't what I was looking for at the time. Why do you want a the greats? I hope it's not just for the gfx.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gainz wrote:
I love yes snowboards. I've owned a big city which my brother uses now and I have a jackpot. I've ridden the greats and the basic. The build quality is exceptional and I love the ethos of the company. They only have a small range of products so they can create great snowboards each with its own character. Riding the greats though I thought it was a stiff ride which wasn't what I was looking for at the time. Why do you want a the greats? I hope it's not just for the gfx.

Ive been looking for a new board something that will hold a decent speed and serve me all over the mountain.

Im not actually that keen on the graphics.

I have narrowed it down to The Greats or Jones Mountain Twin Ultra.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From The Good Ride...

http://thegoodride.com/snowboard-reviews/yes-the-greats-2016-2011-snowboard-review/

Flex: Really liked the improvement in the flex for the 2016. The 2013 was almost un-butterable. Every year after it was softened a bit but still had a similar personality. The middle has about the same flex but the tip/tail have a softer flex. Also it just feels more dynamic under foot than past years and we like this change.

Still unsure..
Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.yesnowboard.com/products/boards/typo/

Heads now minced

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I take it you can't demo?

If its just all mountain and no freestyle then the Ultra, some freestyle then the Greats, more freestyle then the Jackpot. The typo is lower spec than the others. Also look at the weight ranges which can help decide. The right length is more important esp. when there isn't much in the boards. I rode my mates MT for a few runs at Park City and it was a lovely ride. Stable, fast with great edge hold. My Jackpot was almost similar but slightly softer at the tip and tail and a true twin. Hope that helps.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah im thinking the Jones.

Freestyle will go as far as the odd kicker, jump, natural hit with a wee 180 thrown into the mix which i assume the Jone woud handle no probs.

Also UK 8.5 Vans boots and i weight 79kg(ish)!

So Jones Ultra in 157 im thinking.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I tested the YES and Jones boards a few times now, I went for a Jones Mountain twin back in 11/12 and rode it it for a few trips in Whistler and Europe, all conditions and they more than cope with anything shown at them.

I've just replaced it with a Ultra Twin last week.

I loved the YES boards and came a close second, I have lots of friends who ride YES Basics and can't fault them.

I loved the PYL this year but very directional with the crazy sidecut profile. I may try and pick on up late season if I spot one one sale for a bargain
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
0xley wrote:
I tested the YES and Jones boards a few times now, I went for a Jones Mountain twin back in 11/12 and rode it it for a few trips in Whistler and Europe, all conditions and they more than cope with anything shown at them.

I've just replaced it with a Ultra Twin last week.

I loved the YES boards and came a close second, I have lots of friends who ride YES Basics and can't fault them.

I loved the PYL this year but very directional with the crazy sidecut profile. I may try and pick on up late season if I spot one one sale for a bargain

Hi Oxley,

I ordered a Yes - The Greats just so i can have a look at it in the flesh really i might well return it...

Have you been on your Jones yet? Build Quality ok?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The build quality on my old Mountain Twin was good. it has been ridden hard in all conditions on and off piste. A little chipping round the nose and tail but otherwise its stood up to everything.

I gather Jones has moved factories since 2012, as have YES, they were both made by Nidecker. Unsure where/who makes them now but the new Ultra twin looks and feels solid and I have a feeling Mr Jones doesn't let things out of the factory with his name on that are substandard

I tested the Greats back in 2011/12 and found it a good solid board, a few friends have had them with no complaints. I liked the asymmetrical side cut for toe and heel edges and I seem to remember it made the board ride switch very well. I hope you enjoy it
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
0xley wrote:
The build quality on my old Mountain Twin was good. it has been ridden hard in all conditions on and off piste. A little chipping round the nose and tail but otherwise its stood up to everything.

I gather Jones has moved factories since 2012, as have YES, they were both made by Nidecker. Unsure where/who makes them now but the new Ultra twin looks and feels solid and I have a feeling Mr Jones doesn't let things out of the factory with his name on that are substandard

I tested the Greats back in 2011/12 and found it a good solid board, a few friends have had them with no complaints. I liked the asymmetrical side cut for toe and heel edges and I seem to remember it made the board ride switch very well. I hope you enjoy it

Thanks Oxley.

Im just worryied that it might be a little too stiff for my liking.

I dont want something that i cant just cruise on when tired/lazy etc.

Will see how it looks and feels when it gets here.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
To be honest I found the Greats a little stiff and more involving in terms of riding, it wasn’t a board you could be lazy or let ride itself. However it’s a couple of years since I rode one and they could have changed likewise I’m sure someone out there will have a different opinion.

The YES Basic rides nice and relaxed but also seems up to the job of going big/hard/fast when needed, look at RDM’s video parts recently.

The Ultra Twin will ride its self and offer an a involved ride when you want to

The normal Twin was a bit stiff and required some effort compared to the old Twin of 2011/12 hence I went Ultra

If you get the chance get to a Snowdome and test them, Castleford and Tamworth offer both and if you buy you get a lift pass refund of the price.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just realised you're in Wick!!!!

Sorry not exactly local to a dome, guess your local slope is in Norway?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
0xley wrote:

Thats the problem being stuck up here cant just go and look at these things.

Nearest Dome Glasgow nearest Mountain the Cairngorm.
snow report
0xley wrote:

Just about to order the Jones so i can have the two of them in my hand and decide...

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
They've definitely softened up the Greats a little over the last few years.
snow report
Snow Hound wrote:

You got one mate?
ski holidays
dave_wick wrote:
Snow Hound wrote:

You got one mate?

No, but I've seen it mentioned a few times - in the comments of this review for example:

http://www.angrysnowboarder.com/2016-yes-great-dudes-snowboard-review/
snow report
TBH I think either board will serve you well there's not much in them. My mates MT is battered and he rides less aggressive than me. My Jackpot still looks new and I rode a day extra than him in Utah. Have a look at 'em both side by side, flex them and see which one feels right.
ski holidays
Got the Greats Board certainly doesn't feel stiff i reckon it will be just fine.
ski holidays
+1 for the jackpot got the wife a YES board too and seems really good
snow conditions

Very Happy
snow report
Just to add...

YES. are a bit of a shambles all in all.

The Greats is meant to be a True Twin board i discovered that mines cae with a set back of about 2.5cm which would make this board absolutely useless to a goofy rider.

Yes have put it down to a manufacturing issue so ive sent it back and went for a Jones Ultra Mountain Twin 157.
snow conditions
Well, that sucks.
snow conditions
Is it me or is that board Asymetric? Surely that tip is biased one way, so is it really a twin at all? Puzzled
latest report
dave_wick wrote:
... The Greats is meant to be a True Twin board i discovered that mines cae with a set back of about 2.5cm which would make this board absolutely useless to a goofy rider. ..

Um, why? I realize that many "twin" boards are directional and I understand why I think that's a wonderful concept, but why does "goofy" make any difference?

--
Originally Asym boards, which I never liked, were about displacing the sidecut, not particularly fancy nose designs (although many boards also had fancy nose designs, which were more aesthetic than functional, in my experience). I know Mervyn are doing some asyms, but I thought they were April 1 boards more than things people would buy. Perhaps that's an error.
latest report
It's a proper asym board. Different sidecut radius on heel and toe edges. It is, however, a true-twin shape so you don't need different regular & goofy boards, you just spin it round to suit your stance. A set-back stance would stop you from doing this.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dave_wick, You don't post over at snowboardingforum do you? It's just that a couple of guys have the same problem over there. I came here to say you'd better check your new deck. Seems like a whole run of badly made boards. Which sucks for sure and has me seriously wondering if Yes knew something was up.
ski holidays
Snow Hound wrote:
@dave_wick, You don't post over at snowboardingforum do you? It's just that a couple of guys have the same problem over there. I came here to say you'd better check your new deck. Seems like a whole run of badly made boards. Which sucks for sure and has me seriously wondering if Yes knew something was up.

Yes knew alright because their initial reply to the guy over on that forum was that it was meant to be like that! LOL

Shameful really all things considered.

It would look to me like all the 156 decks have been messed up.
snow conditions
If you want a twin why buy a MT which also has a setback though only 20mm?
snow conditions
Gainz wrote:
If you want a twin why buy a MT which also has a setback though only 20mm?

I have the Ultra Mountain Twin on order.

I didn't particularly want a twin with the Greats but the ASYM side cut took my fancy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy