Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 15/16

Poster: A snowHead
For something a bit less cheesy try the fabulous cocktail bar under the Audi (!) At the top of town.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mike Pow wrote:
Big snow tomorrow and Wednesday Smile

That would be good, but I can't find a forecast that agrees...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IanTr wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Big snow tomorrow and Wednesday Smile

That would be good, but I can't find a forecast that agrees...

Great day on the Marmolada today (Tuesday 15 March).

Boot top all day. Plenty of diamonds between the tracks. Crud was soft & dry.

Flat light all day though.

Just arrived in San Martino Di Castrozza.

Unpacked the car, brought everything inside, locked the car and the snow started falling.

-3 in the village and dropping.

18 cm forecast overnight at village, 25cm up top Smile

Don't know if this will open

https://www.facebook.com/mike.richards.927/posts/10154014856583624?notif_t=like
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter S wrote:
For something a bit less cheesy try the fabulous cocktail bar under the Audi (!) At the top of town.

Do you mean the Iceberg bar at the Col Alto hotel? Otherwise I cant think of any other bar that would resemble a cocktail bar? And "under the Audi"?? Even more confused now??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.5470733,11.8751139,3a,75y,252.14h,80.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sd_hs6-ZBz1dW-4QBGKdSEQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Not sure if that link will work exactly ?

On the opposite side from kostner Sports, across the courtyard from the Pharmacy, underneath the display Audi or BMW. behid the fence in the picture. Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No it didn't work Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Peter. I went into the pharmacy last year but didnt notice the cocktail bar. From the street view on the other side, it shows work being done on that building and the street view date is July 2015, which is after our last trip there. Thus I suspect it might be new for this current ski season. I'll have a look when we go in summer to Corvara
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Epic day at San Martino Di Castrozza - Wednesday 16th

At least 30cm of Hokkaido powder overnight. Sunshine all day. Deserted. Fresh lines til I was done.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That'll do thank you Mike. No need for any further reports from you...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Pow wrote:
Epic day at San Martino Di Castrozza - Wednesday 16th

At least 30cm of Hokkaido powder overnight. Sunshine all day. Deserted. Fresh lines til I was done.

I've always enjoyed skiing Hokkaido powder. Especially when I'm skiing it somewhere besides Hokkaido...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went into that pharmacy ( now know the Italian for Pain in the Ass) last week but don't recall seeing an Audi. Wasn't looking for Apres bars but the cake shops are top notch.

Oh and the skiing was excellent on all that fresh snow. Biggest pain was taking about 45 mins to dig the car out to go back to Venice MP ( snow chains provided automatically and don't recall an additional charge plus we received the Merc Vito we had hoped for - top marks to Thrifty)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowfaller wrote:
I went into that pharmacy ( now know the Italian for Pain in the Ass) last week but don't recall seeing an Audi. Wasn't looking for Apres bars but the cake shops are top notch.

Oh and the skiing was excellent on all that fresh snow. Biggest pain was taking about 45 mins to dig the car out to go back to Venice MP ( snow chains provided automatically and don't recall an additional charge plus we received the Merc Vito we had hoped for - top marks to Thrifty)

Good to know Thrifty sorted you out. Did the car have winter tyres as well?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another glorious bluebird day at San Martino Di Castrozza - Thursday 17th.

Cold overnight so I'm guessing the N facing stuff will still be wonderful.

Day off today. Banged myself up yesterday. Hit rocks and got catapulted.

And taking the 4hr drive to Trafoi & Solda.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last two weeks of the season should be superb. Compare with the near panic across Europe in December snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jimmybog - no winter tyres provided.
snow conditions
This time I rented at Innsbruck airport and Austrian rentals have snow tyres standard, chains extra.

Would rather that than normal tyres with 'free' chains.
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
This time I rented at Innsbruck airport and Austrian rentals have snow tyres standard, chains extra.

Would rather that than normal tyres with 'free' chains.

Yep - that is why I've concluded it's better overall to fly to Innsbruck than the Italian airports when visiting the Dolomites.
ski holidays
Two weeks to go till the end of the season and conditions look superb.

Compare that to the near panic back in December, particularly about conditions in France snowHead
snow report
@Peter S, yes the snow came at the right moment for me. Cool
ski holidays
March just keeps on giving.

Bluebird untracked boot top powder for 1000 vertical metres today - Friday 18th - at Trafoi.

Skinned above the top chair and skied down to the deer conservation area.

A very kind guide - Toni from feel-the-mountains.com - gave me a lift back up to Trafoi. Top man.

How this place stays in business I don't know. Deserted.

EDIT
Realised I was no longer in the Dolomites but in Sud Tirol

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 19-03-16 16:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Well we finished our week in Val di Fassa with glorious sunshine and perfect pistes. Today, between accomodations we took a trip to Alleghe and skied the Civetta area. A beautiful area, a little busy with Saturday racers in places, but mainly quiet and peacefull. All pistes are in good condition right down to below 1000m at Alleghe, but inevitably getting soft where they are exposed to hot sunshine. Now over at La Villa, and it is still glorious sunshine. Have now done 14 days consecutively skiing, and haven't seen a stone or bare patch on a piste yet.
ski holidays
I'm in La Villa for 10 days from Tuesday. Was thinking of driving to Alleghe 1 day to board in the Civetta area. Would you say its worth visiting?
ski holidays
Colfosco today classic spring skiing conditions, beautiful scenery and blue skies
snow report
@richey810, Alleghe Civetta is a really nice area, well worth a visit. I must admit on this three week trip, having time to visit less well known areas has revealed that they are all great - in many ways nicer than the main Sella Ronda circuit.

Spent today skiing Alta Badia (feels like all of it!) including up to Pedraces and Santa Croce - really nice, with a final stop at the Florian Bar just before piste closures, which gave easy access back to our apartment. Spring skiing in the sun, but still firm in the shade, and refreezing before we got back. Maybe a trip to Tofana tomorrow.
ski holidays
Sounds like a great day! Have you visited Kronplatz yet? That's definitely worth day trip from La Villa

How long are you in La Villa for?
ski holidays
@RobinS, We are here in La Villa for this, our last week, having already done a week in Val Gardena and a week in Val di Fassa. Tofana, Kronplatz, Hidden Valley, and Cinque Torri are all on the list for this week! A bit misty this morning, but the sun is already burning it off.
ski holidays
Tofana top to bottom today. Upper runs in very good condition, but lower down was soft spring snow right from the start. On the very lowest runs with a sunny aspect a few brown patches are starting to appear (though we did ski right down to the Cablecar station in Cortina itself which is pretty low - I don't think that run will last much longer). A fair bit of cloud about, and this afternoon it turned into that nasty damp cold - a degree of two above freezing with the odd flake of snow, but feeling unpleasantly damp and chilly. Back in La Villa now, watching the last stragglers down the Gran Risa from our apartment. Considerably brighter but not yet below freezing.
snow report
Fantastically unnecessary Nordic skiing in corvara today courtesy of some bizarre lift arrangements, more spring conditions, too hot for helmet, gloves or more than one layer on top, as soon as sun goes in the pistes go brittle and hard. Still glorious views and glorious sun most of the day, somewhat marred by italian faff.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do tell us more... normally it's Italian elan rather than faff.

There are definitely some areas where you need to know to build up a fair bit of speed before the flat bits. Or is this something else you're alluding to.
snow conditions
I can only think of one run in the Corvara/La Villa/San Cassiano ski area where you have to poll and thats blue run 6 from La brancia to Pralongia II chair

Be curious to know what other runs are similar?
snow conditions
RobinS wrote:
Tofana top to bottom today. Upper runs in very good condition, but lower down was soft spring snow right from the start. On the very lowest runs with a sunny aspect a few brown patches are starting to appear (though we did ski right down to the Cablecar station in Cortina itself which is pretty low - I don't think that run will last much longer). A fair bit of cloud about, and this afternoon it turned into that nasty damp cold - a degree of two above freezing with the odd flake of snow, but feeling unpleasantly damp and chilly. Back in La Villa now, watching the last stragglers down the Gran Risa from our apartment. Considerably brighter but not yet below freezing.

Interesting reading about the conditions lower down in Cortina as the resort is staying open until May. Maybe only certain areas higher up will stay open??
snow conditions
@jimmybog, The lower parts of the Tofana yesterday had the worst snow we have seen, The top stuff will be good for weeks yet but the lower runs can't last too much longer.

In contrast - today skied Cinque Torri, Lagazoi, and the Hidden Valley. Cinque Torri had superb conditions, and Hidden Valley was excellent most of the way down - though this excursion seems to have got a lot more popular!
Beautiful sunshine all day, but as soon as the sun was off the slopes they were starting to refreeze late this afternoon. Maybe a trip to Kronplatz tomorrow.
ski holidays
We arrived in Selva yesterday for a few days spring skiing. Today was pretty perfect - sunshine, warmth, all nine varieties of spring snow, soft bumps for the kids to learn on, hot wine and sunbathing at Jimmy's Hutte. More of the same planned for tomorrow!
ski holidays
Glorious day's skiing today, ended up doing impromptu sella ronda after it seemed not much further back from above selva. Pistes for the most part in very good condition with the exception of a few runs (probably south facing?) Like the run off the gondola from selva, which was extended mogully slush fest even at midday. Everything else was good, snow in arraba and val fassa (I think - not coming up on the superski app but was on the gondola) the best of it.

Not one patch of brown to speak of and plenty of snow still around for anyone thinking of coming out, cold enough at night for cannons to run so will be fine. Colfosco at least seems to be closing in two weeks time but could probably go on, particularly if there was another top up. South facing off piste pretty bare now.
ski holidays
Faff in corvara was lots of lifts without seeming leading to a decent length run. I mean there are tons of lifts over there but not so many long runs notwithstanding. There were also a few lifts that went up over hills and then back down to a plateau where you had to schlep up to the piste when you got off?

Run home featured three 20 - 30 yard uphill schleps, no fun at all with a three year old as had no poles, quite apart from the extra wait. And it wasn't just me and him everyone had to push.

Faff of the year award goes to colfosco lift purchase options though. First counter doesn't take cards. Really? In 21st century, international clientele, you don't take cards? It's grand though, I have cash, but they also won't do kids passes. Schlep 50 yards back across piste to other desk which does take cards. But won't sell of more than a one days pass. As such they won't give me free 3 year old pass with half day pass. To buy more than one day pass you have to go to a different office which, in unique faff indulgence, you can't ski to door to, you have to leave your skis on the slope and schlep another 30 yards up a hill too. And have a passport with you for the kids.

This means if you stay in colfosco you have to drive down to buy your lift pass or subject yourself to this Be Nice please!.

I love skiing in italy. I love the atmosphere, the friendly relaxed italian vibe and their welcoming personality. I love the excellent on piste food and fantastic wines. I love their attitude to kids. But when it comes to efficient running of ski resorts elan it ain't.
snow report
8611 - totally agree with you re the faff of the uphill bits on getting off a lift or two and on the home run you mention. A bit of work with a digger could sort it.

One of our party we call Mr Grumpy, well he certainly came out to play on that home run...., but on balance like you forgive these aberrations in return for the overall experience.
snow conditions
8611 wrote:

Run home featured three 20 - 30 yard uphill schleps,

There must be a home run back to Corvara that I’m not aware of then!! Don’t dispute your experience, especially as “snowfaller” agrees with you but I can’t for the life of me think of three uphill sections on any home run back to Corvara?

The only two runs back to Corvara that I’m aware of are:

1. blue 8 from La Baita hut, past Capanna nera hut and all the way down beside the drag lift to a point where you can break off to go to the Col Alto gondola station or continue down to the Boe, Borest gondola stations. This entire run only has one uphill section which is just after the road bridge and before going down to the Boe/Borest gondolas. Unless something has changed this season or my memory has got worse, there are no other uphill sections on this route??

2. red and blue 5 pistes from Arlara restaurant back down to bottom of Arlara chair and then two variants to go back down to Corvara; one variant taking you directly to Col Alta gondola station (red 4), other variant taking you to join blue 8 near top of Costes Da’Lega chair. Apart from a very short uphill section where blue 5 joins blue 8, I again can’t think of any uphill sections on these routes?? If anything I found this route quite difficult in places due to at least two sudden steep sections. Certainly can’t remember any section that went uphill??

As for your experience regarding the lift passes, I would voice your opinion on the Dolomiti Superski website. Send them an email and complain about the poor service. Surely any lift pass office should be able to sell any kind of ticket? Why should you have to goto a different office for different types of ticket? Absolutely ridiculous!!!

Unfortunately the Dolomiti superski area (Kronplatz excepted) still lags behind several other ski regions across the Alps with regards to Infrastructure. Yes things are improving slowly but its now starting to fall well behind areas like the SKi Amade and Ski Circus (Sallbach/Hinterglem.Fieberbrun)
ski holidays
It's still great though and i for one am glad that they don't conform to corporate thinking.

So you have to schlep a bit here and there, wtf? I was staying in Corvara earlier this year and can't for the life of me remember having to schlep, and I hate poling with a passion being not very fit and also very old!

If more peole refused to take cards I rather think that the world would be a much better place to live and there would also be far less debt around, but that's another issue . . . I'll get me coat!
snow report
northantsred wrote:

I'll get me coat!

No need to get your your coat northantsred, we're all entitled to express our opinions. We may not all agree on certain subjects (too much poling/schlepping; infrastructre etc) but at least we all agree that the Dolomites is overall still a wonderful skiing experience, regardless of various issues some of us experience.
snow report
A bit of walking is a good thing isn't it ? Use different muscles, burn a bit of energy, reduce the chance of injury. ......

How attitudes have changed in the last 40 years snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy