Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 15/16

Poster: A snowHead
Chris Bish wrote:
A few spots of drizzle at Treviso airport, but no serious precipitation. As I drove down from the Dolomites, there was a fair bit of cloud about, but nothing falling.

Having just spent a week skiing Alleghe, San Pellegrino, Cortina, the top end of the Sella Ronda and bits between, the situation is that you have almost entirely artificial snow on piste, which is of a very high quality. The area is busy, and it gets scraped down to hard-pack during the day. In places, the snow is superb, but that is superb for man made. White trails across a green/brown landscape. You can have a good time, but the snow is harsh and gritty as it is machine snow. This is not going to change in a hurry. Off-piste? No chance whatever.

Accept this, and you will have a good time. No point in pining for anything else at present.

snowHead

Best snow in the region in Val de Fassa when I left yesterday.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hyst wrote:
To bad we did that half a year ago. Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin

Well, you don't really book the Dolomites for deep fresh powder. Skiing on immaculately groomed pistes under sunny skies with fantastic views and great food are the draws...and this season so far has delivered that. A bit more natural to make it whiter & prettier and freshen up the pistes wouldn't go amiss though! snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having returned back home on Saturday from 3 excellent full days skiing on the slopes based in Corvara, I can catagorically state that I loved every minute. It was truly amazing that the pistes were so good considering the lack of snow lain naturally. I think it is one of the most beautiful areas of the world that I have ever visited and that beauty will be there to see whichever season you visit.
There are so many areas to ski and I can't wait to return.
Corvara proved to be a good base for the Sella Ronda which we did on the 2nd day, 1st day we spent in the Corvara/San Cassinio area and had great fun and the last day we split between Colfosco and Corvara. We were fortunate that we had pure bluebird days which always helps with the vistas. Good food, prices very reasonable and friendly people. I could live there!!

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skiied Civetta yesterday and the slopes were OK for artificial snow if a little limitied in places as there are quite a few closed runs. The Sellaronda was in great condition and they've done very well. Of course the snow is somewhat discrete and dry as artificial snow is making the morning skiing better than the afternoon when you get left with piled up loose powder down the sides and very hard snow at the centre of the piste.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can second the above comments.
Back last night from Selva - but skied the Sella Ronda and it's associated resorts. Fabulous time. Best ski area ever (imho).

Pistes are quite stunning. Weather was wall to wall sunshine (misty start to one day that cleared by 10.00am)

Does need some new snow to freshen / pretty it up, but it's not essential and I think this is on its way....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We are dues some over the next few days. It MAY do some today and then apparently more on Thursday but it's a way off yet in terms of weather forecasting and knowing our luck, it'll bomb Confused
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
luigi wrote:
Hyst wrote:
To bad we did that half a year ago. Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin

Well, you don't really book the Dolomites for deep fresh powder. Skiing on immaculately groomed pistes under sunny skies with fantastic views and great food are the draws...and this season so far has delivered that. A bit more natural to make it whiter & prettier and freshen up the pistes wouldn't go amiss though! snowHead

I know, been in the area on and of since 1984. And was there just after the SH 10 BB - now that was snow! Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Really hope they do get a reasonable amount of snow before we arrive on 14th Feb - our hotel in Arabba is only ski-in, ski-out by skiing off-piste from the top of the beginners' drag and looking at the webcam of Burz at the moment, our route is almost bare of snow. Don't fancy walking down to the chairlift in the morning and back up again in the evening! It's the first time in five years that this has ever been an issue. Fingers crossed for lots of the white stuff..... Confused
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FionaG - you will get snow, we are off on Friday for a week. We do tend to attract large volumes of snow. We will have at least one white out in Selva during the week. Playing cards being packed snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fabulous day in the alta badia. Thought it was going to be windy and overcast this pm . Nope beautifully sunny and warm. Got slightly slushy on some aspects but soon dried out after lunch. Pistes are in good condition. Moderately busy but no queues of any significance. More sun tomorrow and mild again which I like. Snow being forecast later in the week. Looks like they are having a good season despite the lack of natural snow Cool
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Unfortunately to get snow you need the right temperature. ..at the moment it's simple just too warm... Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@toro, your glass does seem rather half empty! A bit of snow (5-10cm) looks set for Weds when the temps drop, and the big dump predicted for Sunday looks like it will fall as snow above about 1000m at the moment. As other posters have said the pistes really ain't that bad without this anyway.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
toro wrote:
Unfortunately to get snow you need the right temperature. ..at the moment it's simple just too warm... Puzzled

Yes, today will be very mild with zero level reaching 3700m, but tomorrows front brings temps down along with snow to 1000/1100m. The local avalanche service forecast for Veneto region suggest 5-10cm above 1500m in Arabba & the Venetian Dolomites...and a lot colder & clearer for Thurs & Fri...

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php

Summary in English...

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/en/html/meteo_dolomiti.php
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flat calm yesterday except marmalada. slightly overcast. Cloud down to 2000m today. Still only 3c at 1500m at 8am but set to drop. 5cms this afternoon ? New snow Should make an aethestic difference by tonight but hope it doesn't get in the way of the good skiing !
Looking cooler for the UK with snow later this week !
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hi - does anyone know what the beginners are in Camp Carlo Magno in Madonna is like for snow. Supposed to bring some beginners there in March and just wonder is their any snow?
snow report
Simone wrote:
hi - does anyone know what the beginners are in Camp Carlo Magno in Madonna is like for snow. Supposed to bring some beginners there in March and just wonder is their any snow?

There's certainly snow in Madonna, people are skiing there today, check out the webcams...

http://www.bergfex.com/madonna-di-campiglio/webcams/

It's a bit murky, so check out yesterday's cam pics when it was clear.

No-one can say what it will be like with any certainty this weekend, let alone a month or more away in March. When in March are you going?

I don't know Madonna, but usually in most resorts there's a snowsure option for lessons if lower Nursery slopes are completely shot. Instructors do prefer to be gainfully employed, so they'll find something for learners to slide on, but it might necessitate a lift ride up.

Beginners don't need fluffy powder, so I wouldn't worry unduly about conditions for them.
snow report
Sitting in the BU5 4 DUB in Arabba, it has just started snowing snowHead
snow conditions
@admin, Laughing Laughing Laughing

We just needed to get the Senior Snowhead on the job! ....... sorted!
ski holidays
admin wrote:
Sitting in the BU5 4 DUB in Arabba, it has just started snowing snowHead

Turn on the subs. That should shake any snow out of the sky....
snow report

Snowing at the Burz chairlift
Here's a photo from about half an hour ago in Arabba.
snow conditions
Snowing here at 1200m and settling fast. HALLELUJAH!
snow conditions
How is the Snow in Madonna DC today, has much fallen ?
snow conditions
Good few inches today had a day away from passo tonale has made a difference and more on the way apparently snowHead
snow report
My son has set me up a Youtube Channel, The Great Ski Guide. Our first review and guide went live to today - Val Di Fassa.

We'll post other reviews I did last week in the next few days.

http://youtube.com/v/m0bjXnhGJ9Q
latest report
@Simone, The beginners area in Campo Carlo Magno wasn't being used when I was there last week and was looking fairly pitiful from Fortini. All the newbies were over the other side below Pradalago. Good news, it's snowing and set to snow a bit more too.
ski holidays
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
My son has set me up a Youtube Channel, The Great Ski Guide. Our first review and guide went live to today - Val Di Fassa.

We'll post other reviews I did last week in the next few days.

Very informative...I remember doing the Panorama tour a few years back when I was based in Canazei...the Buffaure red was very nice and the views of the Catinaccio were stunning.

Look forward to watching the Tre Valli/San Pellegrino/Falcade episode...might whet my appetite to try it.
snow report
@waffle @luigi thanks for that, we were planning on staying in campo Carlo magno- most have a look at map and see where pradalgo is relative to campo. We are considering changing to La Thuile where the snow seems to be better. Not out until 12 th of March but worried that without lots more snow Madonna may be a bit bare and with La Thule the guarantee of snow is better. Aargh this is what I hate about ski-Ing - the build up and worry about the snow! An expensive weeks holiday and so so weather dependent...why do we do it, we are not even off piste skiers just want nice pistes and weather! Need to make decision this week. Looks like some more snow in Madonna this weekend but the forecast keeps changing Puzzled
snow conditions
@luigi,

As of this year, there's a brand new cable car from the existing cable car station at Alba straight across the valley to exit up on the top ridge of the Belvedere bowl. It cuts out the drop into Canazei and a bus ride to Alba. It'll open up the Alba and beyond area significantly. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So - hubby and son have flights booked to Venice for 15th feb, but trying to decide between Falcade, Passo Tonale and Marilleva... is there much difference in snow levels? It seems like they might be lucky/unlucky in that it will snow between now and then which is great, but then snow all the time they are there as well, which is not so great...
snow report
cantski wrote:
So - hubby and son have flights booked to Venice for 15th feb, but trying to decide between Falcade, Passo Tonale and Marilleva... is there much difference in snow levels? It seems like they might be lucky/unlucky in that it will snow between now and then which is great, but then snow all the time they are there as well, which is not so great...

I'm flying into Venice the day before with my son! Very Happy

All I would say is that Falcade is by far the closest to Venice. Forecast is now firming up for a significant snowfall on Sunday which should improve conditions in all 3 places.

I'm currently booked into a B&B in Alleghe in the Dolomites, not too far from Falcade. The accommodation has no cancellation fee, so we can swap elsewhere, but as things look currently, with yesterday's snow and what's forecast, we'll likely stick with it.

Passo Tonale has the deepest snow base on its glacier, but there are no tree runs in Passo itself, so not a good place to be if it does prove to be snowy that week, though there isn't much snow predicted on current long-term forecasts.

Probably best to keep an eye on what happens on Sunday, then jump.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 4-02-16 12:03; edited 3 times in total
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
@luigi,

As of this year, there's a brand new cable car from the existing cable car station at Alba straight across the valley to exit up on the top ridge of the Belvedere bowl. It cuts out the drop into Canazei and a bus ride to Alba. It'll open up the Alba and beyond area significantly. Madeye-Smiley

Yes, looks like a great lift with the twin cables for extra stability.

It opens up Alba & Penia as very interesting places to be based.
ski holidays
luigi wrote:

For now though, it's only one way out of Alba. Very Happy

There's no lift serving the top station at Belvedere and it's on a raised ridge. I hike would get you there. I assume that this will be dealt with over the Summer.
snow conditions
@Mollerski, I thought there are 2 ways? The new lift and and the bus to Canazei? Go there in 10 days - so a bit surpriced. Puzzled
latest report
Mollerski wrote:
luigi wrote:

There's no lift serving the top station at Belvedere and it's on a raised ridge. I hike would get you there. I assume that this will be dealt with over the Summer.

Does the old Col dei Rossi cablecar not drop you near the top station? So you can't download to Alba? That does need sorting.

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/reportage-3482.html
snow report
@cameronphillips2000,

Just a few comments on the video.

Agree:
Great red into Pozza
Great black into Alba
Nice blue into Pera
Good to explore the Fassa valley if you have time

Disagree:
Route would be better as a ski down into Canezei (in nice conditions), bus to Vigo, ski over to Pera, bus to Pozza, ski to Alba, lift up-to Fedaia (with the diversions back down lifts that you mention)*
Great run into Vigo but this is a red not black and with a few alternatives on the way down
Worth going to the bottom of the Pera bottom lift on the blue (in nice conditions)

* By starting at Canezei you avoid a down lift at Alba. By only skiing down into Pera you avoid slow lifts up.

I think the route is best for the adventurous intermediate or better due to runs and time-taken.

From Val di Fassa you can easily ski 4 other areas. You mention Pellegrino but you also have Carezza, Obereggen, and Alpe Lusia.

Carezza:
The near end is good for beginners. The far end is good for advanced skiers. Ok but not great area but really nice views.

Obereggen:
Excellent ski area with a lot of interest for intermediates and above.

Alpe Lusia:
The near end is good for advanced skiers. The far end is good for beginners. Flat section to get you from one end to the other therefore I'd just recommend advanced focus on near side and beginners only visit if they stay near the base on the other side.

As for San Pellegrino is not very exciting up at the pass area but more fun on the other side and down towards Falcade.

My Rating:
1. Obereggen
2. Pozza/Alba
3=. Vigo/Pera (but very small), Alpe Lusia (but very small) and Pellegrino
6. Carezza

If I was staying in the valley I'd definitely recommend Obereggen for intermediates and probably ignore Carezza unless a beginner wanting change of scenery.

I'd also mention that Cavalese also has great skiing for intermediates and above so good for a stop off in/out of the valley.
snow report
luigi - the top station is next to the Col dei Rossi cablecar, but makes for an 'awkward' route to get to there for a download....!

latest report
Quote:

luigi wrote:

New linked area sounds interesting always looking for new areas to explore - but just so I understand it: you can get this new cable car from Alba to Belvedere (to access the Sella Ronda), but not the other way around - i.e. if you're coming from the SR (Arabba/Selva etc) and want to get to the slopes above Alba, you'll still need to go down to Canazei, get the bus up to Alba and then the bubble up?

Out at 1/2 term, webcams looking lovely now and more to come Smile
snow conditions
looks to be a superb piece of machinery Smile

http://youtube.com/v/LvCku2RlcMI
snow conditions
albob wrote:
luigi - the top station is next to the Col dei Rossi cablecar, but makes for an 'awkward' route to get to there for a download....!

So you walk out of the Cablecar station straight across to the new Funifor so you can download to Alba...not that awkward, unless you mean the wait for the cablecar...certainly no hiking uphill! Puzzled
snow report
The Col dei Rossi cablecar is very little used, esp since they added the Gondola up into the middle of Belvedere from Pecol a few years back, but the traffic using the Funifor might up the passenger numbers now.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy