Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting from Venice Treviso to La Villa

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'd be grateful for any advice/experience of getting to La Villa from Treviso Airport.

We have flights booked to Treviso in March 2016 to visit our daughter who has a job for the season as a general dogsbody in a hotel in La Villa. We're just unsure of how to get to the resort from the airport. Taxi/private transfer is prohibitively expensive (€600/700) so we're weighing up car hire or bus. As far as bus is concerned the Cortina Express seems to do the trick at a reasonable cost and the timings - although we have yet to see a winter timetable - seem to work quite well if (perhaps a big if) our plane gets in on time on the way there and the bus is on time on the way back. Does anyone have experience of the Cortina Express and how reliable and user friendly it is?

On the car front from what I read the journey from Treviso can be tricky (the easier route seems to be via Verona which is quite a big detour) and I can't find any hire company who will definitively say that they will provide a car with winter tyres. They seem to say the car will have either winter tyres or snow chains and I'm afraid I'm one of those pathetic individuals who has never learned how to use snow chains! I did read somewhere that winter tyres were now mandatory in certain parts of Italy in winter but have been unable to find out if this is the case where we are going.

Any help much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would go for the hire car option.
Although I've only done the journey from Venice Marco Polo to Arabba / San Cassiano by coach, I don't think the journey is too difficult - apart from possible weather-related difficulties (eg. "Snowmageddon"), of course.
The route North from Venice passes (signs to) Treviso airport and it's really quite straightforward to Cortina and over to San Cassiano - La Villa is just a little further down the road.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you fly to Treviso you will be in Venetio. By law the car will have to be winterised (This was brought in last year)

The drive from Treviso is pretty easy and straightforward. Hire a car through Ryanair - even if you don't fly with them,they are by far the cheapest.

There are basically three routes you can take all of which will be open as they are pretty critical to the ski industry
You can then either:

Take the southern route through Alleghe - Means going through Belluno which is time consuming.

Take the middle route through Val de Zoldo and then up through Corvara or Cinque Torre and down to La Villa.

Take north the road to Cortina and then over the Falzarego pass to La Villa.

Takes about two and a half hours. Which ever route you take will be absolutely stunning. Highly recommended.

If the weather's bad go through Corvara. The route in is essential to the town and likely to be open the longest.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ryanair and Hertz have parted company, so you can no longer use ryanair

https://www.ryanair.com/en/car-hire/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
whollymoley wrote:
Taxi/private transfer is prohibitively expensive (€600/700) so we're weighing up car hire or bus.

If you should want a taxi transfer then try contacting VeniceCab. I've used them before for transfer between Venice Marco Polo airport and the Alta Badia resorts (which includes La Villa). You'll see from the rates page that they charge 215 Euros one way to La Villa from Marco Polo for up to 3 passengers, but if you go this page you'll see that they also serve Treviso. As the distance to La Villa from Treviso is shorter than from Marco Polo they may even give a reduction on the price from Marco Polo.

P.S I have used Cortina Express one way (from Colfosco back to Venice Marco Polo), and you change coaches at the Cortina bus station. Everything worked well and they stuck pretty closely to the timetable.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 13-10-15 14:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
https://car-hire.ryanair.com/beta/en/book?clientID=643860&elID=1013141656010607205&countryID=IT&pickupID=943&returnID=943&pickupName=Treviso%20-%20Airport&returnName=Treviso%20-%20Airport&pickupDateTime=2016-01-23T10:00:00&returnDateTime=2016-01-30T10:00:00&age=30&curr=GBP&carGroupID=0&residenceID=GB&CT=AJ&referrer=0:#/vehicles

Back in business again. Although it's now £100 for an economy car for the week. It was £72 last year. Still great value.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all for your information and suggestions - much appreciated. Sounds like car hire may well be the way to go.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy