Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier - New Year/Early January

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello

We're thinking of having three weeks in Monetier or Villenueve taking in New Year week and the first couple of weeks of January. The thought being there's plenty to do if we have days where we don't ski and also there's a good few resorts within driving distance that we can try on the same pass.

However this will be the first time we have been away before the New Year and we've never booked early before. I know there's no guarantees but can any Serre Chevalier regulars give an idea on how good the skiing and historical snow depths and falls tend to be early season in the Serre area? Do you tend to be able to ski back down to the villages at that time of year?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Will77, on 99% of days in Serre Che at New Year, we have been able to ski back to the villages, with the possible exception of Briancon, but all villages have gondola or chairlift access, as well as snow making. Links are usually open. Last Christmas/New Year were not so good but improved dramatically by mid-January. You can access Puy St Vincent, Montgenevre and the rest of the Milky Way easily. Les Deux-Alpes and Alpe d'Huez are bit further afield. You could also head south to Vars or Risoul.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hells Bells, thank you, sounds positive. I take it they are a nice set of villages to be at over the New Year? We're not looking for anything wild or loud, just a nice atmosphere with some good skiing. Do all Valley bases have good access to the skiing or are some better than others?

Thanks again
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is good access to the skiing from all the villages, if you choose your accommodation carefully enough, although there is very little that is genuinely ski-in ski-out. If you have something in mind, give us a shout on here, and we'll tell you where it is. New Year will be quite well-booked by now , but there should stll be plenty available in early January, www.eurekaski.com has lots of accommodation, but if you don't see what you want there, contact them and Melanie may be able to find you something else.
For things to do when you're not skiing, add the thermal Baths (Les Grands Bains) in Monetier and a trip to the old town of Briancon to the list.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hello again.

Yes trips to the baths and the old part of Briancon are definatley on the to do list.

At present the apartments that we are looking at at situated in Villenueve/Salle Les Alpes. One in Le Bez and the other on Rue de Gletieres (pretty central) just down the hill. Both seem to be in a good location with regards to lifts and pistes with Le Bez looking like a nice peaceful hamlet. Initially I prefered to stay in Monetier but am pretty open minded as the ski area looks reasonably well linked and everywhere along the valley is easy to get to in our van. I'm guess with the road closure the best way for us to access the valley is going to be using the Frejus tunnel?

Thanks
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Will77, yes, Frejus will be best, there will be a relief road being built , but it is meant to be only for local access and not tourist traffic . Le Bez is lovely.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Le Bez may be busy at start and end of day though especially at New Year as it is next to the Club Med.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Will77, @Hells Bells, don't worry about Club Med once they come back down from the piste they never venture out from their walls.

Lovey restaurants in Le Bez, Cavaillou (probably spelt wrong) where we go often, also Swedish friend runs Hotel Le Bez which has a nice little bar.

What you have to do is make sure you get down to Pontillas lift before the Club Med Hordes spill out.

I can give you more info if you do book nearer the time as I'm very local to there.

Over New Year now have four groups of different people / families out!

New Year is manic but then you'll hopefully have two sublime pow weeks Cool

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 10-10-15 19:15; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, I wasn't worrying about them after they come down, it was the carnage on the piste that usually happens at 4pm I was more worried about. wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hells Bells, there are ways to avoid them, like stay up and have a beer, or take the hidden trail(s) down!

Or loads of snow ski the trees!

Hopefully where they have widened the piste above shitty chair will alleviate some of the carnage

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 10-10-15 19:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, most likely, although I haven't witnessed it for a while as it isn't my usual end of day run.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hells Bells, I have been known to take "Pointless" down to avoid the hordes, though more to do with being on fat skis and can't be arsed to ski hard packed ice down at the end of the day if snow cover is pants, but we're being very fussy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hells Bells, @Weathercam, thanks for the replys, most helpful. We are pretty much decided on Le Bez now, looks a lovely peaceful little hamlet and seems to have pretty good access for both getting to the lifts in the morning and returning to the accommodation at the end of the day.

@Weathercam, thanks for the restaurant tips, I'm sure I'll be in touch for some more Serre info as we start to plan more. We'll definately be up and out in the mornings so we're not too worried about Club Med and as for the end of the day; we won't be in a rush to get down and if there's plenty of snow skiing the trees sounds like perfection.

Thanks again
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy