Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurotest training: You'll be a man, my son (a woman my daughter)

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

who was absolutely PANTS

... at what?

Skiing? Instructing? Child care?

Sounds like a classic Dunning-Kruger moment to me, I know very few British skiers who ski better than ESF folks, even stagiaires. And I know quite a few skiers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@under a new name, Dunning-Kruger Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SkiPresto, I missed the original posts, but good luck in training and at the AdH test. Haven't booked AdH for December myself but will consider it for Jan/Feb if fitness improves.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Skipresto I also missed the original posts but I have booked Solda in November and ADH in December and will hopefully be there (if injuries and niggles get better and stay away)!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
balernoStu wrote:
@SkiPresto, I missed the original posts, but good luck in training and at the AdH test. Haven't booked AdH for December myself but will consider it for Jan/Feb if fitness improves.

Hi 'Stu Happy
Thanks for the good luck messages!
I'm afraid this SH Topic wasn't such a good idea, but keep in touch with email.
Good luck with your own prep.
D
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Touchguru wrote:
@Skipresto I also missed the original posts but I have booked Solda in November and ADH in December and will hopefully be there (if injuries and niggles get better and stay away)!

Best of luck at Solda test.
See you at A d'H
Have you got accommodation arranged there yet?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Little Martin wrote:
Gaza wrote:

I disagree that they hand them out easily. When I did my course all passed. However, when a friend did his 2 out of 10 failed. And guess what? They were ex/current-racers! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin One failed the both parts while the other failed the technical. Both struggled to adapt from a racing style to a learning style.

That was similar to mine, the racers struggled with some of the technical and the teaching, they might be able to get down the mountain quicker than me, but it doesn't help if they can't instruct how they get down the mountain quicker.

Ditto. Had a racer in my group who was carving sections of both a snowplough and carven grundstuf (plough-parallel, I went the Austrian route so not sure what it's technical term is for BASI or whoever) when they should have been sliding and couldn't explain them well at all. Carving turns down the piste however were another matter.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SkiPresto wrote:
Touchguru wrote:

Best of luck at Solda test.
See you at A d'H
Have you got accommodation arranged there yet?

Thanks - not yet, but will look at it after Solda...if I need to...

Good luck with your training.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
just saw this odd thread. you post a thread, then delete all your messages, then decide to continue on with the thread. how is anyone meant to engage with you or understand your point of view????

there is a thread on Eurotest training, perhaps should have used the search function in the first instance rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skimottarett
Sorry for the zombie topic / thread.
It won't die, apparently, even though it needs killed off.
I've tried to engage the attention of the admins here, but they're probably sitting back and enjoying the fun.
I'm rather interested in these so called racers that can't pass a level 1. Quite worrying really.
One thing I thought was brilliant was
@underanew "Sounds like a classic Dunning-Kruger moment to me,"name.
Perfec Rodders. I love it.

See you in Saas-Fee? ;-..."
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SkiPresto, then why keep it alive by posting yourself? I'm off to saas tomorrow for some skiing Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret wrote:
@SkiPresto, then why keep it alive by posting yourself? I'm off to saas tomorrow for some skiing Smile

Have a nice time.
Sorry for any offence caused.
I thought it only polite to acknowledge your time and effort spent in making your contribution! And to recognise the others who contributed to the spirit of the topic.
Good luck in your quest.
If you are interested, I'm going to set up a proper social net website for our JJC training camp people to communicate with each other and save money and time.
I acknowledge that there is a Eurotest topic you are/were involved with, but I decided to start afresh.
It was over optimistic to hope that Snowheads would result in success. It just got love bombed by the usual suspects.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 9-10-15 19:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SkiPresto wrote:

Thread was worth it for that nugget wink

...even though I had to Google it!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SkiPresto wrote:
I'm rather interested in these so called racers that can't pass a level 1. Quite worrying really.
I see quite a lot of young racers doing the BASI Level 1 at Hemel, typically in June or July when their GCSEs or AS exams have finished. Nice skiers, but they really have difficulty staying off their edges, so they struggle with Central Theme skiing. For a more illustrious example of this read Chemmy's article for (I think) BASI News on her L2 last spring. With the young racers that I see at Hemel most seem to make the necessary changes by the end of the week, but for a small number it looks a very big challenge.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
SkiPresto wrote:
I see quite a lot of young racers doing the BASI Level 1 at Hemel, typically in June or July when their GCSEs or AS exams have finished. Nice skiers, but they really have difficulty staying off their edges, so they struggle with Central Theme skiing. For a more illustrious example of this read Chemmy's article for (I think) BASI News on her L2 last spring. With the young racers that I see at Hemel most seem to make the necessary changes by the end of the week, but for a small number it looks a very big challenge.

I'd say this is a "freezer kidz" syndrome.
Get them out on a proper mountain on GS skis and they'd learn the line and the glide on the "45". i e. The steep traverse between the progressively edged turn at the gate.
Still, I suppose what they are doing is better than nothing and better than slouching around on playpark skis.
ski holidays
SkiPresto wrote:
Yup, that's one way of describing it. Perhaps an excessive focus on short radius turns and SL gates. I'm sure the young racers and their coaches would love to have a local mountain to work on, but even with an enlightened coach there's a lot of pressure from the kids and their parents to focus on SL racing. Although having said that some of them are excellent skiers, and show great dedication to their chosen sport so they should be celebrated for that.
snow conditions
SkiPresto wrote:
... I suppose what they are doing is better than nothing and better than slouching around on playpark skis.
The kids who are slouching around on park skis (and boards) seem to be the ones who are doing best in top level competitions and bringing home Olympic medals, generally doing rather better than their Alpine brethren. Hooray for kids in the parks!
snow conditions
balernoStu wrote:
SkiPresto wrote:

Thread was worth it for that nugget wink

...even though I had to Google it!

You and me both Happy
snow conditions
Absolutely. I even enjoy watching the lads (few lasses, unfortunately) in the local skatepark. They are brave and adventurous, trying to learn new tricks.
snow conditions
SkiPresto wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
SkiPresto wrote:

Get them out on a proper mountain on GS skis and they'd learn the line and the glide on the "45". i e. The steep traverse between the progressively edged turn at the gate.
Still, I suppose what they are doing is better than nothing and better than slouching around on playpark skis.

Not just "freezer kidz." It happens on the dry slopes too. The two that I referred to were both racers at Hillend and did their L1 at Hillend. There is also a well known name at the same location who failed his L1 at the first time of trying.
snow report
@Gaza
Well my guest bedroom looks out over Caerketton and the Hillend slope. Get in touch if you want to go training.
I haven't skied there for 15 years because its actually bad for your skis and your skiing.

However many top British Team competitors trained there.
I've been on several BASI L4 Tech courses and seen many ex Team skiers breeze through, teaching themselves bumps skiing in a morning. They are on a different planet these guys. Similarly girls who had never skied in the offpiste deeps brought themselves up to pass L4 in the week.
I saw Noel Baxter pass L2 wearing a slalom race ski on one foot and a GS race ski on the other. He also taught himself bumps during the assessment. These guys are on a different dimension when it comes to ability.
I don't know where these urban legends come from where racers fail L1. Presumably they are inexperienced racers. I am all in favour of inexperienced racers.
I was on another L4 tech in Chamonix where an ex British team skier turned up on 195cm huge solid twintips and totally out skied the trainer.
GS is the pathway to success. It is the most technically challenging of. All the skiing disciplines.
latest report
SkiPresto wrote:
@Gaza
Well my guest bedroom looks out over Caerketton and the Hillend slope. Get in touch if you want to go training.
I haven't skied there for 15 years because its actually bad for your skis and your skiing.

Yes it is bad for skis. scratched bases etc but bad for your skiing ! do you realise how many top British racers learnt and trained on plastic. How many clubs ski/train and race even now on plastic.
snow report
speed098 wrote:
SkiPresto wrote:
@Gaza

Yes it is bad for skis. scratched bases etc but bad for your skiing ! do you realise how many top British racers learnt and trained on plastic. How many clubs ski/train and race even now on plastic.

Agreed plenty of top skiers come from plastic, racers aside most of our freestyle boys come from plastic.

I do know what he means though regards technique. Skiing plastic takes a different technique with weight distribution on your skis.

Forget knackering your skis or technique, its the sodding friction burns i dont miss Happy - nothing worse (or better depending) than carpet burns on your knees or back bottom Happy Shocked
latest report
@SkiPresto,

why is plastic bad for your skiing?

no, you can't teach yourself to rutline bumps in a morning, but if you've been outskiing a rutted SL course for most of your career getting to BASI bumps level seems to me a 5 minute mind trick

Everyone else I've ever talked to has said GS is the easiest of all disciplines

Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
SkiPresto wrote:
@Gaza

I've been on several BASI L4 Tech courses and seen many ex Team skiers breeze through, teaching themselves bumps skiing in a morning. They are on a different planet these guys. Similarly girls who had never skied in the offpiste deeps brought themselves up to pass L4 in the week.
I saw Noel Baxter pass L2 wearing a slalom race ski on one foot and a GS race ski on the other. He also taught himself bumps during the assessment. These guys are on a different dimension when it comes to ability

Don't make the mistake of thinking these guys/girls never skied anything except for SL/GS gates and that what you saw was their 'first time in bumps/off piste/etc' - the Baxters, Freshwaters, Langmuirs all grew up skiing in every sort of condition and have an innate ability to adapt and learn quickly when on a pair of skis. Like riding a bike for some, such is skiing for many of them.
ski holidays
I've coached a technical sport at any levels right up to elite teenagers. I've coached youngsters that are now on the world stage, including one who was saved from the dark side of life (not boarding)
The best coaches I worked with had fantastic technical knowledge, great analytical abilities, lots of different ideas and techniques for trying to teach the same subject, an ability to make sessions interesting and enjoyable, but probably the most vital was an empathy with the pupil and an ability to adjust their coaching to the personality and learning type of the pupil. Quite often the best coaches were not former elite participants.
Taking ones ball home does not happen with good coaches.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Taking ones ball home does not happen with good coaches.
That's a good point. When developing my own skiing, the coaches I think are the best (and the ones I therefore have worked with over an extended period of time) have been open to discussion and different ideas, in fact they encourage them. Equally in my coaching, the clients who want to discuss their understanding of what they are doing are probably the ones who add the most value to the coaching process, and I believe they improve the most from where they start.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
..I've coached youngsters that are now on the world stage, including one who was saved from the dark side..

Help me Obi wan Kenobi; you're my only hope!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rob@rar, Yup, the very best I've watched ask the pupil questions and guide them into working out the answers themselves. This produces a deeper and longer lasting understanding from the pupil but requires much greater coaching skills.
snow report
@ALQ, Laughing I did feel a bit guilty about that bragging statement. I have no doubt that the person concerned would now have been a habitual criminal without his sport.
snow report
Gaza wrote:

@SkiPresto, I disagree with almost everything you've written. Skiing, and ski tuition is not unique. There are many brilliant coaches who never made the grade as a 'player'. Football, rugby, tennis, to name but 3 have brilliant coaches who either never made the grade at the sport they coach. It is their ability to impart knowledge and assist with skills building that sets them out. On the other hand there have been many brilliant players who have been disasters as coaches.

By your definition someone who misses out on passing the ET by 0.5 second on multiple occasions is not worth of being an instructor. And that is just nonsense. The ex-racer who aces the ET at the first attempt could be an absolute knob as an instructor whereas someone who just misses out may have more coaching talent in their little finger than the ex-racer has in their whole body.

Whilst I also disagree with lots around Skipresto here I do disagree with what you say about not having to 'make the grade' as a player.

Taking Rugby, as your example, I cannot think of a Premiership Rugby club where the Head coach and coaching team haven't played at top club or international level. Mike Ford at Bath admittedly only played top level Rugby League, but that's close enough. Just going through all the other coaches I think they all played premiership or international level.

Thinking through the second tier club rugby I also think most of those coaches have played at the top.

Actually, there is one example. Squeaky appointed Lancaster to coach the England team and that worked well. Lancaster only played mid level Rugby.

My own useless rugby was immeasurably improved when an ex-All Black / then Samoan became our head coach. What a difference it made.

It's also incorrect to assume that just because someone is good at a sport doesn't mean they have good teaching skills. The evidence is that the best coaches in any sport, and skiing is a sport, have both excellant teaching skills and past or present excellence in the subject.

However, I have yet to see any evidence of someone who is not good at a sport but a fantastic teacher being a successful coach at a high level. If that were true then the rugby premiership would be swamped with elite level 5 qualifications who played for Preston Grasshoppers.
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman, We all (some more than others) need a physical outlet to keep us sane. Good for you for guiding the young lad.
Now where's that lemsip Toofy Grin
snow report
Mr S Lancaster Toofy Grin
snow report
emwmarine wrote:
...However, I have yet to see any evidence of someone who is not good at a sport but a fantastic teacher being a successful coach at a high level...

Jose Mourinho...oh wait Sad
snow report
Interested in what makes skiing on plastic bad for your skiing?

I see a lot of very good skiing on Thursday evenings at the Hillend based race club. The mat does support a child's weight better, but several of the coaches are ex national team and ski very nicely on it, even when on rental skis. I've taken to using a decent pair of SL skis to make the most of the slope, inspired in part by Gaza's recent quest for a plastic slope ski, and actually enjoy going for few runs when up there. I think it offers good practice for skiing very hard snow, where finding grip is a challenge. A lot of the mat has been replaced this year which has improved the steep side greatly, and the elbow installed a couple of years ago is still in good condition.
snow conditions
Angelo Dundee
snow conditions
balernoStu, When I'm watching older dry slope racers they all seem to avoid getting much hip angulation, they do much more with knee movement. Dry slopes were great for training on straight skis but I noticed that my own skiing improved a lot when I stopped trying to use modern skis on Dendix.

Finding grip on hard snow shouldn't be a challenge on race skis. By "hard" I mean water injected.
snow report
emwmarine wrote:
Mike Ford at Bath

Ford is head coach and didn't play union. Toby Booth is his number 2 didn't play top flight either. Hatley & Edwards were decent player though. Quite a collection of ex LI staff Laughing
snow conditions
@balernoStu, I'm srill convinced that if you can ski well on plastic, little else will faze you.

I don't see why modern skis would be a problem. It's been a long time since I skied plastic though Cool
snow conditions
emwmarine wrote:

Whilst I also disagree with lots around Skipresto here I do disagree with what you say about not having to 'make the grade' as a player.

Sailing is one of a handful of sports where GBR regularly wins medals and that would not have happened without the coaching and development system put in place by Jim Saltonshall, RYA coach for 30 years. AFAIK he had no particularly outstanding record as a sailor in his own right.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy