Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smoking in Italy (Dolomites and Breuil-Cervinia)?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey there, does anyone have any recent experience on the smoking situation in Italy, more specifically in the Dolomites area and Breuil-Cervinia?

I know there is an official ban for smoking indoors in certain places, but I‘m wondering if it includes ski/mountain huts?
Also, is the ban actually enforced in reality, e.g. in hotels and bars?

Would I easily find non-smoking huts and also restaurants and bars off the mountain (preferably completely smoke-free, without indoor smoking area)?

The reason I‘m asking is a trip to Austria in January where I still came across smoking places here and there, and I‘d just like to know what I’d have to expect in Italy.

Many thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No smoking indoors in Italy.
I was in Cervinia the week before Xmas. No smoky nowhere, nuffink.

The Austrians are stinky b******ds. Confused
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes it's enforced and yes it extends to places in the mountain.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Italy was one of the early adopters of a total smoking ban - it is enforced and works well.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was in Cervinia soon after they introduced the ban and it was strictly enforced in hotels and restaurants. When we went over to Zermatt for the day we discovered the restaurant at the top on the Swiss side full of Italians enjoying a smoke with their meal Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Smoking ban is well respected in Italy since it being enforced in 2005.

I spend a fair amount of time in Italy and have seen in rural areas it ignored by a few locals or owners of places a couple of times over the years. But in tourist areas its a no no!!

Having been in the Dolomites about 3 weeks ago i was pleasantly suprised at how few smokers there were in general. There are more in the resorts in Valle d'Aosta in my opinion just out and about.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@All, thanks a lot for your feedback!
Seems like you have all experienced the same.
That‘s good news! Smile

Quote:

When we went over to Zermatt for the day we discovered the restaurant at the top on the Swiss side full of Italians enjoying a smoke with their meal

Interesting, haha. I haven’t checked out the Swiss policies yet. I would have thought they are strict, but apparently not. Do they have a lot of smoking huts/restaurants?

Quote:

I spend a fair amount of time in Italy and have seen in rural areas it ignored by a few locals or owners of places a couple of times over the years. But in tourist areas its a no no!!

That’s exactly what I was wondering regarding the enforcement. I experienced this in rural Germany too. An officially non-smoking restaurant/bar with local regulars starting to smoke, leading to other guests getting out their fags too... Sad
But as a ski resort is definitely quite touristy it shall hopefully be fine.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Simony, been to Dolomites twice this season. Did not see any smoking indoors at all. Very little smoking outside buildings where food served.
Remarkably little out on mountain too. Certainly less than on two trips to France.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PeakyB, that’s cool. Thanks!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Honestly don't worry about smoking indoors in Italy, you won't find it in the Alps. As said i was really suprised at how few people i saw smoking in general in the Dolomites. The Valle d'Aosta will have smokers of course but its really not common practice (or likely) To see any smoking indoors especially in busy tourist areas.

Frankly it amazes me considering the Italian 'penchant' for bending the rules when it suites them that you don't see more smoking inside!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Switzerland is a smoke free zone indoors.
The Swiss like rules, and they like obeying them too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Except in restaurants in Zermatt, it seems.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w, you are assuming there was a smoking ban in place in Switzerland at the time that Welshskier visited Zermatt Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes - I was. I confess!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rungsp, it must be a recent thing then, I remember finding it odd when I flew to Geneva 2 years ago and could smell smoke in the concourse after walking out the baggage collection.
latest report
2010 for Switzerland, but they allow segregated smoking areas indoors.
Germany is similar in that they have segregated separately ventilated smoking areas inside in airports, but even with separate negative pressure ventilated areas, the rank stink still escapes.

Italy smoking ban was very weirdly one of the first in Europe, given it was their national pastime. Was filthy when I first worked there. Was allowed in offices, but company policy was that you could only smoke in the office if other office mates all agreed. Then one day, everyone then stood outside restaurants. Have never seen anyone flout the law there, unlike UK (minority that had a strop), and Austria (there is a ban, but nobody enforces it). But then Frascati is nice to stand outside in summer.
latest report
I was surprised how completely the French ban was observed - we noticed a lot of mountain restaurants and bars being redecorated the previous autumn - so the paintwork was stink-free from the outset.
snow report
So it turns out that the good-old cliches of the Italians bending their rules and the Swiss having very strict rules aren’t true. One lives and learns. wink Smile

Hope I’ll make it to Italy this season.

Many thanks everyone for your input! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy