Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italian ski resorts for beginners & intermediates...

Poster: A snowHead
hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a good Italian ski resort for a beginner and an intermediate for late Jan or early Feb? It needs to have good nursery slopes as my other half fell and snapped his cruciate ligament on his first (and only!) ski trip so is very nervous about trying it again. Has taken me 4 years to talk him into it so I don't want to scare him off for life. Aside from that I'd like a pretty village, a good ski school and plenty of mountain huts to stop at along the way. I went to Soll a few years ago and loved it, so I suppose I am looking for the Italian version of that!

Thanks in advance Cool
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Livigno is a popular resort to learn. Wide open slopes and plenty of good ski schools.
It's a lovely place too with plenty of nice cheap restaurants and lively enough too.
The transfer is usually about four hours though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Laurs234, I'd suggest one of the Alta Badia resorts in the Italian Dolomites (e.g Colfosco, Corvara or San Cassiano). Pretty villages, outstanding scenery, well maintained pistes (including many blues and reds) and excellent value mountain restaurants with a cuisine which has the best of Italian and Austrian influences. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Laurs234, you are far from the first to be in the position of wanting to make yourself a snowHead out of a friend or family member.
You might like to take a look at this: MYAsHBash.
It would appear to be an event designed to meet your needs, precisely.
After all, it's not just the geography that sets the mood - having like-minded nervous/budding skiers to share angst and glories with can be worth a lot.
Meanwhile, you'll have other snowHeads with whom to visit mountain huts, on the first few days while your OT develops ski legs.
Last year's 'prototype' of this worked perfectly, with all the beginners joining the rest of the group for blue runs and refugios by the end of the week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wife and son + me have got ourselves in a hotel just up from Selva Wolkenstein. Wife is a nervous intermediate so thought the Dolomites would give her plenty of re assurances and miles of cruisey runs. Did not realise until the other week that the SnowHeads bash was on the Sella Ronda the same time we are visiting, hoping to meet up but not sure where and when as never been to Dolomites before. Heard good reports about dolomites, so looking forward to it immensely. Previously skied at L2A twice, Pila once and 3 valleys last year. Enjoyed our trip to Italy in Pila before hence the reason for returning to Italy and the dolomites.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Livigno is a high resort, perfect for beginners and duty free too!
Alta Badia is more classy but more expensive.
There are lots of great smaller, less expensive Italian resorts. You might want to consider some of the school trip favourites:
Tonale, Folgarida, Andalo, Civetta, Aprica. They are noted for first time skiers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try Passo Tonale, snowsure, high altitude glacier, plenty easy slopes ideal for beginners and lower/timid intermediates, plenty bars and restaurants and we found very friendly people, probably the cheapest holiday we have ever taken.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Laurs234, we have an offer on the moment in Folgarida. All the hotels we use have a deal with the ski school so a full week's lessons, normally £95 week or a full week's Personal Performance Course, normally £200 per week are now free. And no the hotel costs have not gone up, it’s just the whole resort getting together to try and bring in more clients.

This offer doesn’t include Madonna di Campiglio or New Year/Half Term, but all other dates for the whole season are included. See the prices page on our site for more details.

Not a bad deal.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Madonna had some lovely long easy runs. Stunning Dolomite scenery. Small pretty town/large village. Smart wine bars. Lots of fashionable people walking around early evening.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We really liked Madonna - there is a good variety of terrain as the dolomite side of the valleys offers a different type of skiing to the alp side. The location is stunning and the pink peaks of the dolomites in the evening sun are beautiful. The village centre is compact but the hotels sprawl out from this. Maybe not as quaint as some villages but some nice bars. Think most of the nursery slopes are at a part called campo carlo magno which is base level so you probably need to start using some lifts to enjoy the views.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi
Take a look at Chiesa Valmalenco ideal nursery slope and easy blues for progression all at 2000m so snow good.Also some perfect winter walks to rifugi if the skiing gets too much. I can highly recommend due to the fact I understand the meaning of nervous as I'm myself recovering from a broken leg and ankle in 4 places as a result of a skiing accident almost 2years ago -but managed to do some tentative skiing again last season. I would personally suggest at least a couple of one to one private lessons with an instructor (£35per hr)to help gain regain confidence. good luck where ever you end up.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Laurs234, whichever you choose, try and encourage your other half to get onto a UK slope for Instruction. If they start right now, it's not going to be busy and they get a chance to find their feet without any pressure in an easy environment. Important if they are coming back from an ACL injury.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi @Laurs234
+1 for Madonna di Campiglio - friend and I spent a day there from Passo Tonale a couple of years ago, absolutely loved the place. Loads of easy/intermediate slopes to fly down! Now looking to go back - not so easy for 2 singles.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Laurs234, I'd second admin's recommendation for many reasons but one especially. Your other half will be in lessons with other beginners and that's great but when I first learnt to ski, I was in a big group and so all off us were staying together after lessons and that is a big plus. It's great to chat about all the day's fun moments in the apres and during the evenings. I found it helped greatly to continue the week's lessons with people you'd bonded with during the week. It also makes it a great social occasion but all Snowhead's trips are like that anyway.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Madonna is lovely but the Folgarida bit it is better for beginners. It's always been a very popular school trip destination for this reason
snow conditions
Madonna di Campiglio and it's satellite resorts are absolutely ideal for beginners, improvers and intermediates alike.
It's renowned throughout the Dolomites for it's perfectly groomed pistes, and unlike several resorts I can think of, there are no surprises round the corners (mogul fields and the like)
snow report
@Laurs234, I would 3rd Admin's suggestion.

I want to do it with my husband, but my work schedule is seriously interfering!!!

Apart from that, I'm a Piedmont Mountain fan. Sauze D'Oulx - Sansicario - love it there.
snow conditions
The other area to look at in the Dolomites other than those already suggested is the Civetta range. A short transfer, lots of blues, especially going over to Zoldo and off the top of the range... Much more italian and less crowds than the rest of the areas. Take a look at the reviews I've written of the local areas to our place which covers a few of the areas discussed here : http://www.casa-alfredino.co.uk/skiing-information/
snow conditions
Another +1 agreement for Livigno. I learnt to ski there 7 ish years ago and it was brilliant. The original Galli hotel is very close to the ski school and nursery slopes. Resort is great for beginners and intermediates. Good intrsuctors, some nice easy blues and lovely wide reds. Food is great and everything is very resonably priced. The transfer can be long depends where you fly into.

There are, on paper, no green runs as such, but the nursery slopes at the back of the galli are just what you need to get started and are certainly very easy to learn and turn on. I went as almost a complete novice (1hr taster lesson on a dry ski slope under my belt). Screamed like a girl at doing my first button lift and the ski school "sorting hat" process. But I think I ended up in Gryffindor, as an hour later I was learning to parallel turn and having a great time. Doing blues the next day and even a few reds by the end of the week. The runs a very flattering and I really think you couldnt find a better place to learn. Very Happy
latest report
Thanks for all the replies! We were on the verge of booking the bash in Livigno and then realised we can't make the 16th. We are both gutted as it looked perfect for us! Sad

Back to the drawing board tonight now looking at resorts. It's such a tough choice as they all have their pro's and con's once you start googling them! Madonna seems to get a lot of votes on here so will definitely take a look at that.
snow report
Another vote for Passo Tonale. There' a lovely long route (red or blue) down through the trees to Ponte di Legno, the next resort with a bubble back up.
latest report
Im new, so Hi!! lol I also went to passo tonale last year in italy and stayed at chille blu (£335 pp so cheap and amazing!!). Ill tell you a bit about it. 100% beginner/intermediate resort.

Was cheap as chips, great meals, great waitors and a boot room with heaters etc (although you have to leave your boots outwith your locker to heat them.. but mines where hired so meh)

Food outwith your free night dinners etc was cheap, a few bars and a few shops. Got a cracking jacket there.

Theres a baby slope with a tunnel you stand on to go up, so not even a button on this one. Then 3 or 4 small nursery slopes with buttons. You then get there "blue" run thats very long and flat and great fun. One goes the otherway via huskey dogs that has 1 we sort of steep area, the flat afters so long you could kamakazee down and survive lol i have experience (dont turn left at the end of that long huskey flat, hit the bubble cars or you will be going down on your bum via a black run haha)

The instructors are very nice. She loved shouting "Ahhh paralelll!! Well done!!" as i passed her in the afternoon but always seem'd to pizza slice during the lesson haha. They have a "race" at the end of lesson week. This is a lie... i forgone all technique in the aim of speed for this to become the fastest.. my gf went like a snail parallel turning... i was last.. 7th of 7.. in front of all the ski classes too... and she was 1st. This "race" is just to judge your new abilities haha. So dont kamakazee pizza slice style. the lessons are good fun though, excellent teachers.

Horror story time!!! Someone "stole" our ski's outside a bar. Had to wait hours until everyone had collected there ski's to find a different set. Ski hire place drove us back to the slopes to grab them, beeped them and just gave us a new pair no questions asked. What a panic haha thought we would have missed our "race" the next day but we never. Sadly.

Tip: Do not go late out the ski lift gates. A girl will be next to you, panic, somehow ski across your skis, trip 3 of you up, end up stuck under the lift and the que of zero people under 10 seconds becomes a resort to have a we nosy at the 6ft6 giant under a ski chair.... im glad i had goggles on to hide who i was haha

This Holiday (my first time skiing except once up glenshee and a dry slope as a kid) has made me love skiing beyond anything, im buying my own boots now and cant wait for the snow!!!! )Who'd of thought eh, wishing for snow)
latest report
hotchy wrote:
Who'd of thought eh, wishing for snow)
er, well, most snowHeads actually Wink

Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
Booked a week in Passo Tonale last night from 30th January, very excited! Thanks for all your suggestions. We got a bargain through Crystal- flights, transfers, half board, lift passes, equipment, and 6 half day lessons for us both for £680. 12 weeks to go Happy
snow conditions
£680 each that is!
snow report
Sounds like a good deal! Which hotel is that?

I'd recommend the Contrabandieri area for some nice early morning runs, the long blue down to Ponte di Lengno is nice but can be classed as black from the Middle gondola station. It's narow in places and there is one steep bit but it's worth the effort. If you want to err on the safe side then just take the gondola down from the half way point. If you're fairly brave you can ski right from the top of the glacier right down to Ponte without taking a lift - about 1500m vertical drop, probably more.

The Ponte/Temu area is nice and there are some tree lined runs of which there are none in Tonale. It's best to go there early as the runs can get cut up pretty quickly and are narrow in places.

My favourite mountain restaurant is the Corno D'Aola which is at the top of the 2 man chair lift in Ponte. The views are great and they do a fantastic Arrabbiata. There is a button tow (one of the few in the resort) up from there which gives you a lovely run back down.

For lunch in resort I'd recommend the Magic Bar near the lift pass office for a snack and free wi-fi or La Torretta (next door to Magic) for amazing pizza at a good price.

Crystal do a trip to Madonna di Campiglio on the Wednesday and I would highly recommend it. It will cost you £30 extra for the top up to your lift pass and another £30 for the coach but it is well worth it. It's nice to get away for a day and the scenery and resort are amazing. You can do it on the ski bus to save you the £30 coach cost but in my opinion it's not worth it, pay the money and relax - a taxi back to Tonale will be a lot more!

Enjoy!
ski holidays
Hi All, My husband and son are planning a trip to Italy to ski 10th-16th April. Which resorts have good skiing still at this time of the year (I know it's a bit late). Son, 20 years old has never skied and husband 50 years old hasn't skied in 20 years. They also have no gear so wondering where they can rent (boots, skies, helmet and even goggles, trousers and jackets if possible - they are coming from the Caribbean). Thanx for your help.
snow report
^ Cervinia.

Rent boots and skis.

Buy the rest, like clothing, to avoid getting a disease.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't rent goggles, or clothes either.
ski holidays
@admin, ANY ROOM LEFT FOR THE LIVIGNO TRIP 21st JAN ?
snow conditions
Yes
ski holidays
How many in your group. And what are my options for accommodation?
snow conditions
There are 30 of us. We have the whole of a small Hotel, Original Gali to ourselves.
As there are people signed up as flexible (ie. they don't mind which type of room they go in), you have a choice between any of the hotel options. Solo, or place in a shared twin, triple or quad.
Is it just you coming?
snow conditions
Madonna Di campglio, folgarida (linked to madonna and with an English company offering holidays) or corvara, both in Dolomites and stunning scenery.
snow conditions
Id second the advice of Pila resort in the valeey d'aosta. The city of Aosta is charming inside the roman walls, a nit industrial on the outside as you come in and out but very italian charm on the inside. The reaort is fantastic for all levels with a great magic carpet progression for begginers and the two local ski schools there are great with good english speakers. Hope you have a great time. Fay @Laurs234,
ski holidays
Welcome to snowHeads @Fay Mackman, snowHead
snow conditions
Pila is great but I would almost recommend La Thuile over Pila. Some very easy cruisers up top. Honestly, if you're staying in Aosta, you can drive over to La Thuile, as well.
latest report
Yea La thuile is great also. Like skiing on the moon if its bad weather but incredible when weather is on your side. Thats the bonus of the Valley D'aosta you can dive to the 3 main resorts in 30mins from each other and some are better than others depending on weather.
Courmayeur (not as good for begging), Pila and La thuile. Enjoy hope you find a good spot
ski holidays
admin wrote:
Welcome to snowHeads @Fay Mackman, snowHead

Thanks! Glad to join the group!
ski holidays
I'm throwing my two penneth in with Cervinia, great for beginners and an intermediate's cruising paradise. The Ventina red run should be on any self-respecting intermediate's itinerary and you can of of course hop over to Zermatt if you fancy a bit more of a challenge (and better views of the Matterhorn, it's rather craggy from the Italian side).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy