Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arabba- Seiser Alm-Arabba: to do or not to do?

Poster: A snowHead
We will be returning to Arabba Smile for the second time 26 Dec-2nd Jan. Having skied there at that time before we know it will be bunged (except for the blacks on Portovescovo Smile Smile ).

After the obligatory SR, we made separate trips to some of the side valleys, Seceda/Ortisei being the furthest. Whilst fun, we felt that rather lot of time was spent 'on botty on seat' rather than 'on piste'. Plus, we did that trip on 31st December and just managed to get the last chair over from Passo Pordoi (being exhausted from bump skiing the whole way back and negociating the crowds at Val Fassa; we arrived back in the dark and it was quite traumatic since finding alternate accomodation in another valley would simply not have been possible- admittedly I am a better skier now but I still don't want to repeat that panic stricken ski trauma again..!).

So, we have our eye on Seiser Alm but wondered if (a) can it be accessed by bus; ski/bus and - if so - is it any quicker than skiing there ? b) is it really worth the 'schlep' i.e. how much skiing can be done under the various travel options ? or c) should we just confine ourselves to the RHS of the map and go separately another time (our main problem here is that we really love Arabba/Portovescovo/ Marmalada - as it provides the best steeps in the area (unless we've missed something? And has the best chance of snow early in the season)?

Thanks in advance for any tips/info,

suec
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@suec, Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

It is possible to do the Seiser Alm from Arabba, I and a group of other snowHeads did that on the last Birthday Bash. From the top of Ciampinoi we skied down to Monte Pana from where you can take a great cross country off road bus route to Saltria at one end of the Seiser Alm. The bus trip costs just a few Euros, but it's best to plan the time of your arrival at Monte Pana to suit the timetable, here's a link to an old (2013/14) timetable. It's the most "off road" bus service I've ever been on! Laughing (unmetalled road, and in some places the gap between trees either side of the track is only slightly bigger than the width of the bus. Here's a YouTube video someone else has made of the bus trip!

http://youtube.com/v/0DEgbANs-WQ

From Saltria it took us about an hour using the network of lifts and pistes to work our way across to the other side of the Seiser Alm from where we took the gondola down to Ortisei. From Ortisei you can either ski back via Seceda on the other side of Ortisei and down to St Christina and then Selva, or if you're short of time there is a frequent bus service from the market place in Ortisei to Selva.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stay in Castelrotto which is a really nice Medieval town with a 20 minute ski bus service to the Seiser Alm gondola. At Compatsch (top of the gondola) there's a large snow sports centre with stacks of heated lockers for rent where we leave all our gear. We ski to Saltria in 20-30 minutes to take the bus to the link with the Sella Rondas. There's virtually no tour operated ski in/out in Seiser Alm so are mostly spared the tour operated swarms.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, guys.

I had read about the 'bus' and even seen a pic of it on the pistemap but wasn't quite sure it really existed...a long way to go to find out it didn't! This is reassuring.
Hopefully a 2005/16 timetable will appear at some point.

Ciampino is about halfway round the SR. I can't remember if there is much difference in timing going clockwise or anticlockwise?

If we go to that side of the Sella in future I'll remember Castelrotto. We would definitely prefer somewhere like that to staying at Selva (apologies to Selva fans..).

suec
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
suec wrote:
If we go to that side of the Sella in future I'll remember Castelrotto. We would definitely prefer somewhere like that to staying at Selva (apologies to Selva fans..).

suec

If you don't like Selva I find that Ortisei/St Ulrich is the prettiest of the 3 towns (Selva, St Christina and Ortisei) in the Val Gardena/Grödental valley.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair Pink wrote:
suec wrote:

suec

If you don't like Selva I find that Ortisei/St Ulrich is the prettiest of the 3 towns (Selva, St Christina and Ortisei) in the Val Gardena/Grödental valley.

Very chic, very fashionable ... and very expensive!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
irie wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
suec wrote:

suec

Not necessarily expensive, I stayed in a self catering apartment with some friends and that was reasonably priced.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alastair Pink wrote:
irie wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
suec wrote:

suec

Not necessarily expensive, I stayed in a self catering apartment with some friends and that was reasonably priced.

Horses for courses.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
suec wrote:
Ciampino is about halfway round the SR. I can't remember if there is much difference in timing going clockwise or anticlockwise?

Ciampino is a few km outside of Rome (second airport) - you may find it hard to ski there; I think you mean Ciampinoi - amazing how much difference one missed letter can make wink

My recollection is that when heading to Monte Pana, I have always gone clockwise from Arabba (ie up Portavescovo and via Canazei/Campitello) - I think it is quicker that way round. If you get the first cablecar up then one can make good speed to get to the Campitello area before too many people are out and about, I would think. Although I have never done it in Xmas / NY week.

The run down into MP is fairly long through the trees and gets very flat - keep up your speed.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
At least I was in the right country...

We'll aim to be on the first Portovescovo lift then, should we go. And will definitely remember the flat slope.

On a related note, if we wanted to do the Hidden Valley does that entail going to Cortina by bus and skiing back (or can it be done - somehow - in reverse?). We will be in Cortina in March with a group of skiing nuts
Smile Smile Smile so may just leave it until then.

suec
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@suec, For the Hidden Valley, you can ski from the lift at Lagazuoi to the horse tow at Armentarola (this is the Hidden Valley run that everyone talks about), but there is no lift in the other direction so this section is completed in a bus/taxi (€6?) from Armentarola. You'll see why, it's a long winding mountain pass, and takes about 10-15 min in the car.

PDF map on this page shows how the run connects to Alta Badia.

Armentarola is fairly straightforward to ski to from Arabba - take the route over Pralongia and watch out for the right hand turn just before you get to San Cassiano.You do not need to go into Contina, in fact I think the Hidden Valley and Super Otto (Cinque Torre) sector is separate from the main Cortina area and only accessible by bus.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great. Thanks.
I know the Cinque Torre area from previous summer hiking, so have good idea now where you are coming from.
It will all depend on the snow conditions though, I guess...lat time we we there at Xmas it was not open Sad

suec
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We got stuck in a loop once, at Monte Pana. I think we took the lift out three times before finally finding a run that didn't end up back at Monte Pana! Hopefully the signage has improved, or been moved from behind a tree or something Laughing

On the plus side, the hut at the top does excellent soup with a massive bread basket. I think it was Sochers.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Something else to remember! I will have to print all this off and charge 'the other half' with remembering it.
All this chat - makes me think I'm going tomorrow .. Madeye-Smiley

sue c
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes you can do this pretty easily. Either you ski through the back of the range beneath Sassolungo via Monte Pana and then the bus (which has existed for many years and I doubt this will change). The bus does take a while but its pretty and gets you to the western end of seiseralm. From here you can carry on over towards Kompatsch before swinging round to go down to Ortisei. Walk across the town to the travelators (about a 5-10 minute walk) and then go up the other side and ski back to Santa Christina. You do need to be fairly quick for this and start early - and don't cut it fine at the end of the day as a taxi back costs plenty!
ski holidays
Yes you can do this pretty easily. Either you ski through the back of the range beneath Sassolungo via Monte Pana and then the bus (which has existed for many years and I doubt this will change). The bus does take a while but its pretty and gets you to the western end of seiseralm. From here you can carry on over towards Kompatsch before swinging round to go down to Ortisei. Walk across the town to the travelators (about a 5-10 minute walk) and then go up the other side and ski back to Santa Christina. You do need to be fairly quick for this and start early - and don't cut it fine at the end of the day as a taxi back costs plenty!
latest report
Thanks everyone.
Think we are leaning to Seiser Alm as our main skispedition for that trip and leave HV until March (hoping that the snow hasn't melted). All these instructions should cut down the pfaff time and we will aim for a few quick pit stops rather than a lingering lunch (our traumatic ski back last time was largely a result of a lunch around S Christina somewhere, consisting of a bowl of pasta that took about an hour and a half to arrive...the view was tremendous and the sun shining so we hardly realised the implications of the time passing by.....)

sue c
snow report
Here's the Saltria bus timetable. It was the same in 13/14 and 14/15 so I'd be surprised if it changed for 15/16.

http://www.val-gardena.com/download/gardena/pdf/Winter2013-14/Monte_Pana_Saltria_201314.pdf

The Florian stop is less than 100m from the Saltria set off point!
snow conditions
Thanks.
I'll check nearer the time to see if an updated timetable is available.
For now, fingers crossed that the snow gods deliver at Xmas..

sue c
snow conditions
It doesn't matter on the Seiser Alm - as long as ground is cold enough not to melt the base layer the snow cannon system is incredibly efficient. We've been there when there was no snow cover and the land was brown but with white 'roads' all over it. Couldn't go off piste of course, but it was very surreal skiing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy