Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bargain Trip to Colorado

Poster: A snowHead
We weren't planning on going to Colorado next winter but our plans changed when, at the end of August, I spotted cheap return flights to Denver for Feb 2016. I thought it would be a shame to miss them, not least as season passes were (almost) being given away for the Summit County area; and accommodation prices looked reasonable.

So we booked the flights, bought season passes and now have a 24 night trip to Colorado for the princely sum of £1600 each (including flights from Newcastle, 6 person condo in Keystone for the trip, transfers from Denver and season passes for Breckenridge, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin and up to 10 days in Vail/Beaver Creek). Very Happy

We went to Breckenridge 25 years ago and can't wait to go back. And I'm still pinching myself at the cost! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's some deal!! Well played. Where's the jealous emotion gone?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wow! That's superb value.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm still dreaming about booking mine .... soon!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Bergmeister, sounds ace. have a great trip!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That's an amazing deal, we just paid £2k each for 4 of us for 2 weeks in Colorado, 1 week each in Breck & Vail. Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Who were the flights with?

BTW Keystone is IMO very much the consolation prize in I70 skiing.

Reckon on renting a car for Vail/BC unless the new Bustang service gets its poop together.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Who were the flights with?

BTW Keystone is IMO very much the consolation prize in I70 skiing but ABay and Breck are very easy to access. Don't get put off by the crowds reputation at Breck, get there early, get high and have a plan for working the mountain.

Reckon on renting a car for Vail/BC unless the new Bustang service gets its poop together.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dave of the Marmottes,
The flights are with KLM, via Amsterdam and Minneapolis (& cost £415 pp return). A bit of a trek but well worth it, we think.

We've been to all the areas on the pass before and are looking forward to Keystone as much as the others to be honest. I'm not regarding Keystone as the poor relation (in fact we think it's a cracking "consolation prize"), as 23 days on Colorado snow will be a dream come true and will give us more than enough time to get to all of the other areas on the pass - even with the commuting. And staying there gives us the chance to do bit of night skiing as well. But, consolation prize or not, we think this trip will almost certainly top (by a long way) our previous trips to the USA or Canada that have seen us go for only 1 week in Feb half term/Presidents weekend holiday. We have never had a problem anywhere in the USA or Canada with crowds or queues during that period. Fingers crossed again this time!

We are happy to regard the travel to the other areas as part & parcel of the trip and the cost of the condo rental (5 minutes walk from the skiing at Keystone) in comparison with Breckenridge really made it a no brainer IMHO - just under £1600 for 24 nights. Season passes are a ridiculous(ly cheap) £380 pp (compared with a mere £920 pp for the 3 Valleys.... Shocked)

We are undecided on car rental at the moment. I'd be happy (& prefer) to take a break from driving and last season's bus timetable (with a bus stop at our condo door) doesn't look too bad at all, with 25 minute trips to Breckenridge; and A-Basin being a lot closer. I realise however that Vail could be a different proposition and am looking into public transport options to get there. Last time we were in Summit County we took a bus from Breckenridge to Vail and we'd be happy to travel by bus again this time. In reality, I imagine we may do only up to 4 or so trips to Vail in view of the longer commute. If we were to hire a car I've heard that Vail now charge for parking - up to $20 a time. Can anyone let me know about that please? And does Breckenridge charge for car parking as well?

If we decide not to hire a car it looks like the airport transfers will cost us about £50 pp return - not too bad at all. We would then have to do our grocery shopping by bus, which wouldn't bother us too much as we would be only 15 minutes by bus from Dillon - where I assume we would need to shop. Am I correct in assuming that supermarkets in Keystone are non-existent, or (at best) very limited?

Either way, we are looking forward to a (hopefully) great trip!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Breck charges for parking in the gondola lots but midweek there might be cheap or free car pool rates (3 or 4 in a car). Free parking is out at Airport Rd with frequent shuttles.

There is plenty of free parking at the Beav and easier to access than the resort itself. Also limited free parking at Vail but not really to be advertised on tinternet.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quick Reply
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks @Dave of the Marmottes,

Any idea how much Vail and Breckenridge charge? Is it as much as $20 per day?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yep...as much as $20 to park at Breckenridge.... Shocked But from as little as $5 Smile

http://www.breckenridge.com/faqdetail/Travel-and-Transportation/Where-can-I-park-for-skier-day-parking.axd

Good job the rest of the trip is cheap.... wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi I was wondering, this £1600 for 24 nights in a condo - is this per person or the price of the condo itself? Could you share how/where you booked this accommodation please?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Minion1980,

That's the total cost of the condo, booked via Homeaway.co.uk website. We looked at Breckenridge as well but it was a lot more expensive. At the time we booked we had only the two of us as definite travellers (although we now have friends interested in the spare beds in the condo...) so tried to keep the costs down. Had there been 4 certain travellers in our group Breckenridge would have been a reasonably priced option.

There were other, even more reasonably priced, condos available in Dillon or Frisco, which are on the bus route between all ski areas, but we opted for Keystone in the end.
snow conditions
you may have time to go to Loveland as well. Its high up at the top of the I70 pass (you actually ski over the road tunnel !) . its a private resort an when we went the lift pass was very reasonable and it was much quieter than other resorts. Winter Park was also good. Keystone night skiing was fun (but cold !). enjoy !
ski holidays
Thanks Bergmeister! I am thinking of trying to organise a trip of this sort and need to do some research. I hope you have a great time Smile
ski holidays
Thanks @Minion1980,
One significant attraction to us was the cost of the season passes - incredible value at $579. However, we also considered Winter Park, where you can buy a season pass for only $429! For an extra $60 that pass would also include Copper Mountain - not bad value at all.

@backhojo,
Thanks. We've not skied at Loveland before so will keep it in mind.
snow conditions
We've just been tipped off about next winter being most likely influenced by a super El Niño. Typical. Trip of a lifetime and all that... Sad Sad

Does Keystone have a dry slope, like Glencoe?
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, I had some of my better and quieter skiing at Keystone, what makes you disklike it?
latest report
Had a great day at Keystone once during a Breceknridge hol. Loved the ski area and found the village very pleasant. Not too much to dislike at all.

Followed it by nightskiing - really impressed by the scale of the operation and loved the novelty value. Had to keep popping indoors to warm up, drink beer, eat chicken wings etc as I recall Smile.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy