Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Finally Buying my first set of Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this community and thought I would jump straight in and ask for some advice.

I have skied since I was youngster and now I am turning 30 I thought maybe it was time I actually bought a pair of skis.... I also now live in the south of Germany now so I am only ever a few hours drive away from the snow.

I am a competent skier, I ski fairly fast, fairly aggressive and now I tend to venture off into the soft stuff more and more to keep myself content. Last season I rented both Atomic NOMAD BLACKEYE Ti and Salomon X-Drive 8.0 FS models which were quite fun, good ride etc..

Now I want to buy and I really am looking for a super all mountain ski that has room for me head off piste more and more. I have been doing my own research and found the new Line Sick Day 95 might be heading in the right direction for me, but to be honest some opinions would be great.

I am 180cm tall, 85kg.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to reading!

James Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Burgess, welcome to SH!

I tried the Sick Days last year, found them a bit clunky - this was on an indoor snow slope though...!

My two favourite skis of the last year have been Atomic Theory Vantages and my Salomon Q98's. The Salomons can be a bit brutal on ice due to the fair amount of rocker in the tips... Both skis are 98-100mm under foot which is fairly common for an 'all mountain ski' these days.. Best to try them out if you have a fridge nearby!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I skied on a pair of Blackeye Ti's Last season and loved them. I also skied on some volkl skis which I cant find anywhere! Also very good. My only conclusion from last year was that I need to try a few more different pairs before I buy!

I was recommended the Atomic Nomad Crimson Ti's for a bit more witch underfoot - Very tempting...
Also check out the dynastar Powertrack 79's
Also Head Rev 80 or 90

I fear going too wide but mostly because I usually go for a week in the early season and spend most time on piste but when I go in feb/march its 60/40

Maybe 2 pairs is the answer Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@lgkersh, [at least] 2 pairs is always the answer!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@haigie..... Did you try the 95 or the 102??

I can definitely say that if it has taken me 24 years of skiing to buy one pair, it will definitely take another 24 to move into owning two ha!

The Atomic Theory Vantage looks interesting, I will do a little more reading.

Does anyone have any experience with the Volkl Mantra?? I am not sure if this would be too powder orientated......

The next question will be ski length, the skis I used this year were around 172cm, perhaps I should go a little longer?

Thanks for the information so far!

James
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Burgess, I'd hardly call the Mantra powder oriented.

my friends at Concept (Chamonix) are rating the Blizzard Bonafide over the Mantra which seems to have been somewhat detuned.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, I think too many youtube videos are saying some skis are more than they really are.....

The bonafide in all the reviews seems to be a great ski, can anyone give any personal reviews on it?

Cheers,

James
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy