Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance - how important is personal liability and accident?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just received a renewal proposal from Virgin Travel Insurance, which is a policy provided by Insure & Go. Looking at the cover and the restrictions, they have changed it a bit from last year and I would like snowheads opinion on the cover that remains. Under section U6 it lists various winter sports activities, including downhill skiing but this has a * against it and underneath it then says "you must always adopt safety precautions when undertaking any winter sport activity inclusive of, but not limited to, the wearing of a safety helmet." OMG let's not go there again wink

It then says for those activities marked with a * an increased medical excess of £250 applies and cover under personal accident and personal liability does not apply. The no personal accident would mean nothing paid out for loss of limbs or sight or if permanently disabled as a result of an accident while skiing, but the one that seems most worrying is the no cover for personal liability.

What do others think? Is this a deal breaker?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Is this a deal breaker?

yes, it would be for me. The fact that it's omitted from the policy underlines how important it is - if it didn't cost insurers any money, they wouldn't bother.

I normally do wear a helmet but I wouldn't take a policy which required it - some days I might forget it, or might not bother.

However, the increased medical excess is reasonable IMO.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@andy1234, Go elsewhere for your insurance.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w and @johnE, thanks I thought you would say that. Well, time to start looking. At least I finally (just) got paid out for our missed departure resulting from last year's Snowmaggedon on 27th December! Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@andy1234, MPI get well reviewed around here...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I doubt the helmet clause would stand up in court if they tried to hide behind it for something like a broken ankle where it is manifestly not material.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Given the changes in the Insure & Go conditions I too will be looking for an alternative quote next year. My partner doesn't ski but will travel with me so what insurance does she need? Will a standard policy cover her for travel delays caused by avalanche or falling over on an icy path in a ski resort or other ski resort but not winter sports related problems?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy1234 wrote:
Just received a renewal proposal from Virgin Travel Insurance, which is a policy provided by Insure & Go. Looking at the cover and the restrictions, they have changed it a bit from last year and I would like snowheads opinion on the cover that remains. Under section U6 it lists various winter sports activities, including downhill skiing but this has a * against it and underneath it then says "you must always adopt safety precautions when undertaking any winter sport activity inclusive of, but not limited to, the wearing of a safety helmet." OMG let's not go there again wink

It then says for those activities marked with a * an increased medical excess of £250 applies and cover under personal accident and personal liability does not apply. The no personal accident would mean nothing paid out for loss of limbs or sight or if permanently disabled as a result of an accident while skiing, but the one that seems most worrying is the no cover for personal liability.

What do others think? Is this a deal breaker?

The most important thing is third party cover and serious injury to myself. I would look elsewhere. My insurer with my bank covers a lot of things including skiing and are great (RBS) but would not cover off piste without a guide (and by that they mean a wee hop off to the side of a piste by 1m). So I used MPI last year and found their terms and website crystal clear.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Too long a story, but do not use "insure and stay at home" - as we call them.
Took 9 months to get medical claim paid - and then only when they realised that we were going to the Ombudsman (who had found in favour of claims like ours, I found out whilst preparing claim).
Now they haven't replied to a cancellation claim for over 2 months, apart from grudgingly acknowledging receipt a couple of weeks ago. (Completely separate medical emergency).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy