Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid Term Break - Resorts Near Munich

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife and I have booked some cheap Easjet flights into Munich - arriving on Thursday 11th Feb and returning on Tuesday 16th. My plan is to hire a car and drive to a resort, preferably one that's not super crowded. Most resorts in Austria seem doable from Munich in around 3 hours so there's almost too much to choose from. At the moment I'm looking at a cheap hotel deal in Nauders, but the might just be my fixation with the West end of the Tyrol playing up. Are the likes of Soll or Kitzbuhl prone to big queues at half term? Anyone know any great little resorts that don't get too overloaded?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Valkyrie, see this thread for suggested resorts from Munich: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2751004&highlight=kaltenbach#2751004

Edit: I see from that thread that you are already familiar with the Zillertal!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Valkyrie, too many to mention! If you are looking for something smaller then how about the Zugspitzarena ( Ehrwald Lermoos & Biberwier ) or slightly further from Munich Oberstdorf/Kleinwalsertal. Kitzbühel does get crowded at the bottom, but it's such a big area that things tend to disperse. I like Kitzbühel a lot!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
it will be very difficult to find a not crowded resort during this time...maybe in East Tirol but its too far from Munich
You could try Oberstdorf/Kleinwalsertal, it is not so bad for 5 days...and if you know where to go maybe not so overcrowded.
Avoid the big names..Kitzbuhel, Ischgl, St. Anton etc will definitely be crowded
If you have a car, then...
one option to move round Salzburg...maybe Maria Alm and some other in SkiAmade (but not Flachau, Hauser etc)
Another option around Nauders...in the card is also included a couple resort in S.Tirol a few km further...they will definitely be less crowded.
If you head to Oberstdorf/Kleinwalsertal avoid Nebelhorn, and Felhorn...move to the other two resorts in the end of the valley...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another shout for Kitzbuhel. Apart from very early in the morning, the gondolas are never busy. Try and base yourself in the Kirchberg area and it allows easy access to both Kitzbuhel and the Ski Welte.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Zell am Ziller, Mayrhofen or Zell am See all hit the mark.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fieberbrunn or Leogang, both of which give direct access to the Saalbach-Hinterglemm Ski Circus, and neither of which feature as major Tour Operator or tourist resorts. Both have new 10-seat gondolas and the whole lift infrastructure in the Ski Circus is fast and modern.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Valkyrie, Nauders is quite a drive from Munich and I didn't find it that great. Lacked atmosphere and town not convenient for lifts.

I think Westendorf has the best skiing nearest Munich and, if it were me and I had car, I'd try staying in Brixen or Hopfgarten. That way you have the whole of the Ski Welt, and a short drive in either direction you have Kirchberg/Kitzbuhel or the Wildschonau the other way (over the top). I find that side of the SkiWelt way less busy than Soll/Scheffau.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just an update to say we're currently in Nauders and loving it. First day of skiing was last Friday, which was quite busy, but yesterday and today it's been pretty quiet. Only queue is for the initial gondola up, about 15 minutes for the worst time (around 10am for some odd reason). Gondola is 2km from the village but the hotel takes us up and collects us in a minibus on demand so it's not an issue. Pistes are in great condition and very well groomed. A few reds and blacks are left ungroomed so there's fun to be had on moguls too. Not a big area but perfect for a long weekend. We've got a car and the lift passes cover two little Italian areas just down the road. I'd expected to travel to at least one of them but as it turns out we'll ski Nauders for the 4 days.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Valkyrie, thinking of spending a few days in Nauders early April, any recommendations on some challenging lift served skiing. Also, apre ski bars - web lists Billys, Traktor, Monkey pub, Yeti.
Thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy