Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas is only 12 weeks away

Poster: A snowHead
OK so some of you will hate me and some of you will be rubbing your hands with glee.

I'm looking for a list of what has been the best present they/Mrs Snowhead has ever received or the present that has got the biggest smile. Also what are the presents that when given Snowheads Jr the biggest smiles?

I'll be honest I'm hoping this thread will give me some inspiration for presents for the wife (over 21 - I'd be shot if I said the actual figure) and also for my niece and nephew (5 and 10 respectively) so any ideas directed at those age groups would be greatly appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I got my nephew some Celtek mitts last Christmas and he loved them they do some cool designs for kids and they'll keep them warm and dry.
As for daughter she was pretty pleased with her Armada Off piste skis and marker bindings last Christmas.
The wife was pretty pleased with some very nice outerwear and some winter boots.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 2-10-15 9:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I suspect there's only one present that will really make your wife smile; that will tell her how much she means to you; that will say she married the right man, and that's diamonds in one form or another. As to how much you have to spend, the big clue is" that will tell her how much she means to you", so cheap jewellery is likely to be taken about as well as a slap in the face.

In my experience, the best present for a 10 year old nephew is a big box of some impressive lego. It depends though on whether they're into lego or not.

I'm afraid I can't help on the 5 year old niece.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh the wife does OK but the usual ideas of Radley Handbags/Ugg boots seem a bit pedestrian after too many years. Also she's not really into bling so jewellery is generally out of the question. That's why I was thinking about some skiwear. As to Lego I think he already has the European Lego Mountain in his bedroom. If I buy him more then his parents will have me sectioned.

I like the look of the Celtek mitts and those will be going on the list.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The best thing my daughter ever had was a card on Christmas day saying she would be picking up her new kitten four weeks later (it was also by far the most expensive as the cat lived for 19 years). Second best for her, and best for the boys, was a card on Christmas day saying that their present was a ski holiday, to be taken in early January - a year when we hadn't thought we'd be able to go. We also put in a sealed envelope with a lottery scratch card for each of them, with big red writing on the front advising that they discuss BEFORE opening them whether they would share any winnings. Two decided to do so, the third was gonna keep the lot. One of the first two won a very small prize. Laughing

My husband would never have kidded himself he could pick ski outerwear for me though he might have suggested we go together to choose a jacket. And he would also have known I wouldn't want diamonds.

I met a couple on a sailing course who had just bought a little, old, boat and were therefore skint. They had bought each other a fender for Christmas, and were ecstatic.

Surely nobody believes those ghastly adverts suggesting that the more you spend, the greater your love? Evil or Very Mad

Generally we went skiing in January (cheapest weeks) so Christmas wasn't about spending money, given we were about to spend a packet.

I suppose it depends a lot on how you organise your family money. Ours was all entirely joint and we discussed and agreed how to spend it. So splurging on anything, without consultation, would have been out of the question.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
olderscot wrote:
I suspect there's only one present that will really make your wife smile; that will tell her how much she means to you; that will say she married the right man, and that's diamonds in one form or another. As to how much you have to spend, the big clue is" that will tell her how much she means to you", so cheap jewellery is likely to be taken about as well as a slap in the face.

Jeesus, also seems like a sign that you married the wrong woman...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
These (well, slightly different model) went down pretty well, at least until she spilt glühwein all over them... rolling eyes

https://hestragloves.com/dress-gloves/intl/gloves/collection/19171-kathryn-woman-mitt/710/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice gloves - do you know who the UK suppliers are? I've looked on Google but they seem to list only the ski specific ones.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@clarky999, they look like a couple of pasties.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm told they look better with Gluhweihn over them.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bertie Wooster, Edge & Wax - excellent service too.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skied last year with a ripping skier local who was very happy with the cool bamboo ski poles her boyfriend (a snowboarder) had given her. The relatively little things it seems give a lot of pleasure.

Celtek mitts for the kids are a great call - lots of fun designs.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skied last year with a ripping skier local who was very happy with the cool bamboo ski poles her boyfriend (a snowboarder) had given her. The relatively little things it seems give a lot of pleasure.

Celtek mitts for the kids are a great call - lots of fun designs.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

also seems like a sign that you married the wrong woman...

+1 glad I'm not the only one to have been shocked by that post.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+2. I would be happy with a lie-in and someone else cooking the dinner. I am still trying to to work out how we can be at home, and not be inundated with rellies.
snow report
Mrs HD actually cried last year when I suprised her with a Ted Baker hand bag.
latest report
Quote:

I am still trying to to work out how we can be at home, and not be inundated with rellies.

come and stay in my house by the sea, which will be empty!

I was touched when my OH had scoured a couple of London bookshops to find a book he knew I wanted to read, and presented it to me at Christmas. But less impressed when he gave me another copy of the exact same book for my birthday in early February. rolling eyes
ski holidays
@pam w, we think J will have to work on the morning of the 26th or I might just have taken you up on that wink. I want to be in France.
latest report
It's nearer to France than yours is.....
snow conditions
olderscot wrote:

wink You can, I believe, buy women for money (or diamonds), but it's probably more usual to rent them. Outside of some specific locations cash is probably more easily convertible than sparkly stones. In any case helicopter vertical would be more use than De Beers' Kitsch.
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:

FFS I hadn't realised how long it's been since I've had a cornish pasty before you posted that; now I'm consumed by cravings that are probably impossible to satiate over here...
ski holidays
@clarky999, simple - eat the mitten.
snow report
simple - make a cornish pasty!
latest report
Are you allowed to call it a Cornish pasty if you make it in Austria? Shurely some faceless bureaucrat from Brussels will come and slap an injunction on you - and thats true coz Nigel Farage/Daily Mail/Stanton said so.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

FFS I hadn't realised how long it's been since I've had a cornish pasty before you posted that; now I'm consumed by cravings that are probably impossible to satiate over here...

I've often thought that that's the ideal ski resort business. Given the Germans will eat any old sausage rubbish with a bit of curry sauce a Balti Pasty would surely be da bomb.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Your wish is my command, Grasshopper! I have several in my freezer and I'm home again now! wink
ski holidays
Although I rather like my pastry based food items, Cornish Pasties have never floated my boat. The cheese and ham puffs at Lisbon conference centre last week were quite pleasant, however.

Mrs U was pleased with her XC skate rig (delivered a little late in March) last year and her Blazewear heated liners the year previously (delivered early so she could test them out).

As Philwig suggests, if diamonds are required, if it f**ks, flies or floats, it's almost invariably cheaper to rent when required.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 4-10-15 12:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Samerberg Sue, Congratulations on reaching 10000 posts! snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well I am a wife and my favourite present has been a night in a posh hotel booked for January with childcare all sorted. A cheeky ski weekend would go down even better! We share all finances but its nice to get something you wouldn't normally splash out on for yourself. I'm thinking cashmere bobble hat or leggings or super merino thermals.
This year I am hoping for a voucher for a trip to the spa when we go skiing. Easy to book online and I'd never justify a massage on top of the huge cost of taking our family of 5 in half term.
snow report
Quote:

super merino thermals

yes, that would be a lovely present. But having tried and rejected a number of lots of base layers over the years I would need to try them on myself.
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, never noticed!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy