Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

As a snowboarder should I learn skiing to take my kids on the piste?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

I am wanting to get my kids introduced to skiing as soon as possible, its a long way off as they are both under 3 at the moment. But I am a snowboarder and I am assuming its probably best for young kids 3/4 to learn to ski first obviously via lessons. What I am thinking is that it will be a bit silly if I take them out in a couple of years time and I am boarding and they are skiing??! I am wondering if I should put snowboarding on the back burner for 2 years and learn to ski, so that when they are old enough we can all go out together on Skis.

Any thoughts??

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't see why I've always snowboarded and my daughter skis and we've never had any issues. I'd rather be comfortable on the slopes with her rather than bumbling around on skis.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skies answer: YES DEFINITELY, get off that silly thing. Laughing

Logical answer: what ever you feel comfortable with. I know my girlfriends uncle always used to snowboard, then he had his kid and went back to skiing (used to go to race school so could already ski) so that he could teach his son and ski with all the extended family.
He still occasional gets his board out but not half as much. So I guess it comes down to if you'll need to learn to ski / if you want to give up boarding, there are many who don't and their kids just learn in the schools.

Alternatively, (dare I say it) teach them to board? Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jimmytwoburgers, Don't give up on the boarding. The numbers of snowboarders appears to be dropping every year. Maintain the dying art. Please. The kids will follow you happily. But you will have problems following them. Just wait until they pop out of the trees
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Simple, just teach the kids to ride. Rather than cramming their feet into stupid Tupperware boxes and paying Fast Pierre to scream at them, show them the True Path to one edge enlightenment. You KNOW that we are having more fun than our two planked brethren.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Richard_Sideways Very Happy Very Happy

I've wondered this for a while actually, is there some reason why young kids can learn to ski in ski schools but they seem to need to be 6/7/8 before they can go into snowboard lessons?

I think I've heard it's something to do with bone structure but I can't really fathom out how one sport is superior to the other for a developing skeleton!

I don't have any kids yet but I ride and my wife skis, so if and when we have kids, would love them to be little groms!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I might be wrong but I thought it was more to do with weight and being able to flex the board properly and therefore turn as you should - hence the vague 6/7/8 guideline?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't quote me but I think it's to do with how heavily you go down when you catch the wrong edge. As I understand it you either go down heavily on your spine or your wrists. Although you can get protection I think your skeleton still takes a bit of a hammering. It might also just be that very young kids pick up skiing very quickly and rarely fall (they do seem to be crazy stable in those wide snow ploughs) whereas in your first few days boarding you are going to take quite a lot of falls and, whilst a youth/teen/adult might be willing to take that punishment, a sub six-year-old is likely to do a lot of crying and you might struggle to get them back out again if they get really miserable.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did exactly this, haven't got the board out since i learnt to ski. I was surprised how quickly i progressed and am able to keep up with the kids quite happily.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why can't you keep up with people on skis? I spend as much time riding with skiers as I do snowboarders and it's not a race.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kid's biomechanics and co ordination is the barrier to early years boarding. 6 yrs on no big deal.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
francium. wrote:
Why can't you keep up with people on skis? I spend as much time riding with skiers as I do snowboarders and it's not a race.

Actually in powder snowboards are significantly faster. I feel a little sorry for people who don't ride enough powder to realise that, but then there's no point in wasting it with skis so it's all good.

Outside the race course, expert snowboarders are just as quick as expert skiers. All it takes is a bit of practice and the right gear.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.mintsnowboarding.com/en/snowboard-school-in-morzine,-avoriaz-les-gets/snowboard-school/childrens-snowboard-lessons/kids-mini-shred.aspx

Sorry for the ridiculously long link - BUT these guys are amazing at teaching 3yrs up on boards- get them on a riglet reel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
that looks so cool! My grand-daughters would love that, I'm sure. snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My niece had a go last season and loved it @pam w, she is having lessons with Mint this year- they are amazing with kids
latest report
I went through the same thought process last year. My kids are all 'old enough' to board with me, but I ended up putting them in ski school with my wife - who wasn't going to go on a board for anybody. It was a challenge, getting on and off lifts with them and often having to take off my board so that I could pick up a child who had fallen over.

A few years ago I did try to enjoy some skis for a couple of days but was so much happier to strap my board on once the snow fell - I wasn't going to waste a good powder day wobbling around on skis!

This time around I'll ask the dear ones whether they want to try boards. I'm no longer thinking of skis for me. I've given up the idea of starting over again from scratch with a decent course of skiing lessons for myself, just so that I could learn with the children.

I know that if I'm happy I'll be better placed to keep them happy; if I'm struggling to get along on skis, then I'll struggle to be the good, patient parent who wipes noses and picks up fallen children!
ski holidays
Depends on the resort you ski at and if you happy to walk your kid to ski school until they are good enough to ski there.

We always skied our daughter to ski school between our legs, we also took her out skiing on the green run from the age of 2.5 skiing between our legs, it got her used to skis and balance and I think was a great help to her development.

IF you can get good enough/confident enough in your skiing in the next two years to do that then its a massive advantage and something you can't sadly do on a board.

I am now in the opposite position to you, my daughter is 4 going on 5 and can ski blues confidently but she wants to start snow-boarding as her cousin told her it was cooler, so I am thinking of trying boarding so that I can at least understand what she is talking about when she is having problems.

G
snow report
Yes
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Simple, just teach the kids to ride. Rather than cramming their feet into stupid Tupperware boxes and paying Fast Pierre to scream at them, show them the True Path to one edge enlightenment. You KNOW that we are having more fun than our two planked brethren.

PMSL, mate I love your posts Happy

As a skier, I obviously want to convert you however whats really important is that you can help and control your kids on the slopes - if thats on a tea tray or planks, I dont see how it matters.

Finally they may only be three, but time will fly and they will soon be starting!!
ski holidays
philwig wrote:
francium. wrote:

Actually in powder snowboards are significantly faster. I feel a little sorry for people who don't ride enough powder to realise that, but then there's no point in wasting it with skis so it's all good.

Outside the race course, expert snowboarders are just as quick as expert skiers. All it takes is a bit of practice and the right gear.

Darn straight it's all about the powder.
latest report
philwig wrote:
francium. wrote:

Until you get to the flat bits Happy
snow conditions
jimmytwoburgers wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am wanting to get my kids introduced to skiing as soon as possible, its a long way off as they are both under 3 at the moment. But I am a snowboarder and I am assuming its probably best for young kids 3/4 to learn to ski first obviously via lessons. What I am thinking is that it will be a bit silly if I take them out in a couple of years time and I am boarding and they are skiing??! I am wondering if I should put snowboarding on the back burner for 2 years and learn to ski, so that when they are old enough we can all go out together on Skis.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

No you need to keep with the board and eventually they will want to follow in daddy's footsteps. Be that shining example of what they could progress to eventually if they stick with snowsports and when they're big enough they can tow you over flat spots as well.
ski holidays
Not sure why you need to switch. My husband boards and the kids and I ski, we all get along happily together, no hard feelings. At the end of the day you go from high up the hill to a bit further down, it doesn't really matter how you do it.
snow report
Yes
snow conditions
Do you really need to learn to ski BEFORE the kids do?

I would think you can learn to ski the same time as the kids. It's pretty easy cross over between the two.

In fact, I learn to board when my then non-skiing partner learned to board. I didn't want to be standing around waiting. So I decided to do my share of falling at the same time so the two of us can share the pain and jokes. Turned out I was a lot faster in learning than my partner, having skied (lots). So I ended up waiting nevertheless.

I would venture to guess it's equally easy for boarders to learn to ski...
snow report
Quote:

Be that shining example of what they could progress to eventually if they stick with snowsports and when they're big enough they can tow you over flat spots as well.

TESTIFY! *Tamborine* TESTIFY!
My two (5 & 4) have done the Burton Riglets thing a couple of times and both loved it (don't make me get the photos out again) They keep badgering me to get them on snowboards but its bleeding hard to find kids kit to hire in resort in France.
latest report
Nope you don't have to learn before the Kids.

Personaly board or ski I would want at least one of either my wife or I to be on something we are confident on. Mainly becuase in a worst case scenario and one of them properly hurts themselves, and one of us needs to ski to get ski patrol I would rather be able to do that with a degree of speed.

G
ski holidays
PaulC1984 wrote:
Until you get to the flat bits Happy

^^^ Yeah, that. wink

But seriously, if it's a good school with "sympathetic" friendly teachers then the kids will enjoy it and learn fast - doesn't matter what planks they're on. Neither will they care what planks you're on.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Irie, mine care what I'm doing and I have to do the same as them. They were 3 & 4 on the last trip and I make them go to ski school, but they both want to board. So at lunchtime we all have to swap our kit over, so they can board with me. I've been learning to ski for the last year so that I can ski with them, so hopefully this winter they will ski with me in the afternoons and not make us all board.
To answer the opening posts question, I do find it a lot easier doing the same thing as them. It's quite easy to get down the mountain on a board whilst holding them upright and having their board up against yours, good for getting through the steep bits and them letting them get on with it on the flatter stuff. Likewise it's easy to ski with them between your legs if you're both on skis, but it's a lot more difficult getting through the steeper stuff when you aren't on the same thing.
snow report
There is a truth in the practicality element to this - if a wee one is on skis and you're on a snowboard and Small decides to stop on a flat bit to fiddle with a mitt or something while you're trying to keep some speed up, its a problem. Likewise if Small takes a spill on a slope, it's easier getting in close to help them sort themselves out if you're on the same equipment.

My wife skis and I snowboard, neither of us have any time doing each others chosen path, but I do admit I sometimes I should go learn the basics at Hemel. Its probably a good idea that anyone should have some multi-discipline experience, if nothing else it gives you a better insight into how the 'others' think.
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, there's always the ski test this weekend Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy