Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Making my own 3-in-1 jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Trust you all had a good summer ...

Would appreciate some advice on what's best to go over a fleece to make effectively a 3-in-1 jacket?

Background: Finally became convinced last season that skiing/snowboarding in a (Surfanic) ski jacket over a fleece is too hot, ski jacket on its own is too cold, fleece on its own isn't windproof, cheap waterproof jacket over fleece is too sweaty.

Appreciate I could just buy a 3-in-1 ... but I've got loads of fleeces and don't really need another one.

Have a Decathlon soft-shell but seeing as I paid just sick squid for it, it's really a yachting soft-shell and wasn't really windproof enough when I tried it ...

Guessing I need something that's both windproof and relatively waterproof - but breathable - either to go over the fleece for complete warmth, or wearable without a fleece if fleece-on-its-own isn't warm enough for the weather. Don't need super-waterproof, I don't ski when it's that wet ... Smile

Tia for any experience, suggestions, thoughts.

Regards,
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@StuartMac, Suggestion - merino base layer (see Sportpursuit, plenty at £20 price-point), merino mid layer (plenty about £80 mark in sales) or Haglofs (can be pricy but look in sales), goretex shell over (go for decent breathability), say £150 (again check out Sportpursuit)......I personally don't wear anything that's padded, I run hot and don't want to be surrounded in bulky padding.....if you're looking to buy do it now and get busy, new stock coming into shops soon and is peak price, I always buy ski gear in spring/ summer when its 50% or more off RRP.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Markymark29, + 1. Waterproof breathable shell and layer to suit your needs, dont worry about brands most of them are pretty good these days.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@StuartMac, The cheepest solution may be to open the zips on the jacket. alternative a thin mid layer over a vest followed by your ski jacket. I wear a thermal, breathably base layer, a thin mid layer that I normally wear as a jumper and an unlinded ski jacket. When it gets too hot I open the jacket and if it looks like being really cold I have a thin fleece as well (and long johns)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Keep an eye on TKMaxx too, it looks like things are starting to drift into store!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@StuartMac, fleeces come in different weights..

http://www.backcountry.com/sc/fleece-jacket-guide

Which one are you using?

I tend to use a light or medium one as a mid-layer. I have a heavyweight one, which is really warm but I don't wear it when undertaking activities like skiing.

AFAIK a 3 in 1 is just a fleece and a hardshell that can be used separately or together so it wouldn't solve your problem. I think you need to focus on getting the right mid-layer warmth with your current set up.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are a good few goretex shell jackets at good discounts on Sportpusuit at the moment.

http://www.sportpursuit.com/skiing?type=Jackets
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A good breathable shell would not be cheap. It will be cheaper to get a base/midlayer which works with your current jacket. I have a mid weight insulated jacket and use a fairly warm microfleece or merino baselayer with no midlayer unless it is truly brass monkeys. Then change to a thin baselayer and light fleece. For real spring it is wicking t-shirt and jacket. I have never needed a heavy fleece.

If the material is right the brand doesn't matter. Decathlon/Lidl/Aldi merino will be as warm as a high price brand.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Personally I have a thin lightweight waterproof, not Goretex but breathes really well (Mountain Hardwear and I use it for cycling) but I'm now moving towards using a lightweight soft shell. They are typically not fully waterproof though are usually water resistant, which I don't see as a problem as I don't generally ski in rain as opposed to snow and they are just fine for snow. The advantage is that they will always breathe better than any full waterproof.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Layne wrote:

AFAIK a 3 in 1 is just a fleece and a hardshell that can be used separately or together so it wouldn't solve your problem. I think you need to focus on getting the right mid-layer warmth with your current set up.

Not always. I have a Columbia 3-in-1 that has a 'puffer' style inner and a waterproof/breathable out shell. I suffer from the same 'too hot' problems but I've found that when I de-layer I'm fine while skiing but can get too cold on lifts or when hanging around. I've just picked up an Arcteryx MX Hoody that has an element of water resistance but is not waterproof. I've experimented with it over the Columbia puffer (it worked well at the top of the Augille du Midi) and also with the Columbia shell over it. I can see me using these combinations based on weather and temps.

All my Merino stuff is either Decathlon or Mountain Warehouse. I find it perfect and very good VFM.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wool and tweed.

All you need.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
and cotton'll kill ya.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
and cotton'll kill ya.

As underwear maybe but not as outerwear - Ventile.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions so far:-

. Have the base layers, and several lightweight fleeces I use as a mid-layer.

. Have tried opening jacket zipped vents; at times, skied/snowboarded with the Surfanic jacket undone completely.

MikeS_76 wrote:
There are a good few goretex shell jackets at good discounts on Sportpusuit

Is there a way into SportPursuit without registering? 'Fraid I don't hand over my e-mail addy just to look at what's essentially an advert. Sad

Gaza wrote:
I've found that when I de-layer I'm fine while skiing but can get too cold on lifts or when hanging around.

Yep, my problem too.

Late last season, I was given a couple of my father-in-law's 3-in-1 jackets and, if it weren't for the fact he's taller than me, so his jackets are half-way to my knees, I wouldn't need to ask the question. As I say, I have plenty of fleeces (and base layer) so seemed daft to buy yet another one just to acquire a reasonably windproof/waterproof outer jacket that'll be cooler than my current ski jacket?

Hope this clarifies.

Regards,
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
StuartMac wrote:

MikeS_76 wrote:
There are a good few goretex shell jackets at good discounts on Sportpusuit

Is there a way into SportPursuit without registering? 'Fraid I don't hand over my e-mail addy just to look at what's essentially an advert. Sad

Don't think so, they've been around for a few years now, I and other snowheads have used them plenty of times. It's "flash sales" so I guess they do need to try and make it "advertorial" .... just check shipping dates as they bulk buy and bulk ship
snow conditions
Quote:
I've found that when I de-layer I'm fine while skiing but can get too cold on lifts or when hanging around.

I don't see how that can be avoided in the sense of you will inevitably will be much warmer skiing than you are sitting in the open. And especially when there is a chilly breeze/lack of sun. There have been plenty of occasions when I've got really cold on the lifts. It goes with the territory. I mitigate against as best I can by doing up my pit zips (if open), zipping up my fleece/jacket to the max, putting my neck ruff up over my mouth and nose, making sure my gloves are fully done up. And then loosening everything off as I ski. If it's sunny and there isn't a chilly breeze I will probably not have to do most of this. Sometimes I'll opt for a cable car rather than a chair lift purely to keep out of the cold. I guess my point is, it's very difficult to not have times you when you feel too hot and times when you feel too cold. At best you can achieve reasonable comfort most of the time. There is also a bit of a preference thing. I have a mate who would rather be on the cold side than the hot. I am the other way around.

Quote:
As I say, I have plenty of fleeces (and base layer) so seemed daft to buy yet another one just to acquire a reasonably windproof/waterproof outer jacket that'll be cooler than my current ski jacket?

I agree with your approach, it sounds like your jacket maybe your problem. Although I have a Surfanic jacket and don't find it too hot but as I said above I like to run quite warm. Surfanic normally state their waterproof and breathability rating. Do you know what yours is? Or maybe it is simply too thick/padded?
ski holidays
@StuartMac, lots of good windproof and waterproof shells around. Can be used for things other than skiing
latest report
I can't see the point in 3-in-1 jackets to be honest. Just use a waterproof/breathable outer shell and wear a fleece/down whatever layer under it.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
Quote:

I don't see how that can be avoided in the sense of you will inevitably will be much warmer skiing than you are sitting in the open.

Correct but in my case it was the range of temperature I went through. When exerting myself I could get VERY hot. Sweat drippinly boiling hot, in fact. It isn't pleasant. Losing 3 stone has helped but I still run hot.
snow report
StuartMac wrote:
Is there a way into SportPursuit without registering? 'Fraid I don't hand over my e-mail addy just to look at what's essentially an advert.

Nope. If you are bothered about them having your email address set yourself up with a gmail, hotmail or other such address and use that to register. I have my own domain and if I'm unsure of a company I'll use a site specific email address such as sp@mydomain.co.uk so I can track if they are selling email addresses. So far Sport Pursuit have been fine.

Not registering is a bit like biting off your nose to spite your face. They have some tremendous bargains most of the time. Granted, most are previous years stock but given that most of the time the only change is the colour then I can live with that.

I ordered a couple of pairs of Arcteryx Beta AR Pants (different sizes) in the Arcteryx Flash Sale 3 weeks ago and they have been posted out today. I was in no rush and at 50% off list I was happy to wait.
ski holidays
StuartMac wrote:
Hi All,

Trust you all had a good summer ...

Would appreciate some advice on what's best to go over a fleece to make effectively a 3-in-1 jacket?

Background: Finally became convinced last season that skiing/snowboarding in a (Surfanic) ski jacket over a fleece is too hot, ski jacket on its own is too cold, fleece on its own isn't windproof, cheap waterproof jacket over fleece is too sweaty.

Appreciate I could just buy a 3-in-1 ... but I've got loads of fleeces and don't really need another one.

Have a Decathlon soft-shell but seeing as I paid just sick squid for it, it's really a yachting soft-shell and wasn't really windproof enough when I tried it ...

Guessing I need something that's both windproof and relatively waterproof - but breathable - either to go over the fleece for complete warmth, or wearable without a fleece if fleece-on-its-own isn't warm enough for the weather. Don't need super-waterproof, I don't ski when it's that wet ... Smile

Tia for any experience, suggestions, thoughts.

Regards,

Base later

THin fleece

Pertex jacket with DWR.

or softshell. After all. Are you ever going to ski a few hours from shelter.

However..... hypocrite mode.

I wear a warm tog24 base layer, a very thin fleece and a haglofs jacket. I can't remember the Haglofs type but it is the most expensive (bought in sale)
latest report
I wouldn't buy any external layer without pit zips now, it's the only way I can balance sitting on a stationary chair lift and sweating in the sun. I normally ski in a base layer and insulated jacket (with pit zips!) and add a thin fleece if it's very cold (I usually ski in January).
snow report
I wouldn't buy any external layer without pit zips now, it's the only way I can balance sitting on a stationary chair lift and sweating in the sun. I normally ski in a base layer and insulated jacket (with pit zips!) and add a thin fleece if it's very cold (I usually ski in January).
snow report
Base later
@GlasgowCyclops, wrote
THin fleece

Pertex jacket with DWR.

I wear a warm tog24 base layer, a very thin fleece and a haglofs jacket. I can't remember the Haglofs type but it is the most expensive (bought in sale)

Depends on the type of skiing you do how far you will be from shelter and this will probably influence your choice of clothing requirements. Having said that you are probably correct for@StuartMac, needs.
latest report
I also have a too hot too old problem.

I balance it by trying to dress for the medium, and undoing pit zips and neck zip for air while snowboarding, then pulling everything up and pulling up a buff over my face and doing the 'hunkering down penguin' position on lifts.
snow report
Base later
@GlasgowCyclops, wrote
THin fleece

Pertex jacket with DWR.

Depends on the type of skiing you do how far you will be from shelter and this will probably influence your choice of clothing requirements. Having said that you are probably correct for@StuartMac, needs.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy