Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Overnight Snowtrain with little folk

Poster: A snowHead
So...I may have got a little enthusiastic and on the day that the Eurostar opened, I bought tickets for our family overnight. We will go the week before Easter overnight on Froday. Bearing in mind I have two children who will be 3 and 5 by the time of our trip, perhaps not the best idea. However...nothing ventured nothing gained.

So, has anyone done this trip with children- how did it go, any tips!? We haven't booked accom yet, suggestions welcomed for short transfer and good childcare. Both children sporty and first child took to skiing and was competent on blues within a day or so at four so we think the three year old may manage, but if not, suggestions welcomed for childcare.

We have looked at Pierre et vacances and their childcare provision but can't find any reviews online of things lie, caraboo club - can anyone advise?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Snowtrain, I took my two on a french sleeper aged 2 and 5 and that was fine (worst bit was crossing Paris with a pushchair and all the ski stuff) I have done the overnight Eurostar before but not with my kids as we have tended to take the daytime service. Had you not already booked I'd have said book Standard premier for the more comfortable and slightly reclining seats. If you are in standard it will not be the best nights sleep for you but I'm sure your kids will lie across your laps and sleep very well! The thing you will need to check is if you can book early access to the accommodation..otherwise the first and last days will seem very long. I'm sure your kids will love the train and find it a big adventure.

We have been to Arc 1950 with older children and it was very good. That would definitely be a good place to go, although you might want to save it for a few years time when your kids can make the most of the large ski area.

La Rosiere is really easy to get to from the train as well. We stayed in Les Cimes Blanches apartments there which were very nice. My two were the same age as yours then and they did the ESF ski school plus lunch club. It is a lovely resort for families.

you could also look at Sainte Foy (either L'etoile de Cimes or Les Fermes de Sainte Foy). We went there when our children were already competent skiers so I don't know much about childcare options, but it seemed a very family orientated resort.

We booked the above holidays through either Peak Retreats or their sister company Ski Collection and would recommend them. They can sort out transfers from the station, ski school etc if needed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There was a brilliant thread on travelling by train with kids last year. I can't find it but somebody will..... well worth a read.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This one?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2714112&highlight=#2714112
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thankyou! Family friendly ski may just be the answer Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Snowtrain, though you may wish to read the "sister" thread by always29's partner....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Found it

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2707369&highlight=loathing#2707369
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No, not that one - though that's a very useful one. It might have been by Richard Sideways but my search failed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowtrain, I salute you! Brave man. I've done the overnight Eurostar once. Never again.
As snowymum mentions: with luck you have booked Premier for more room and comfort.
Second class is pretty cramped.
When you board, you will be greeted with anxious looks from all surrounding passengers: two young kids . . . Sad
With luck, they will sleep fine draped across you and your partner, but you won't get much rest.
At worst . . .
Next time drive: always worked for us.
(Sorry for pessimism, but you should be prepared.)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'll be honest - I wish I had booked daytime for the way out!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just hope you don't end up in a lively carriage I think I got all of 2 hours sleep on the way out and vowed never again.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Snowtrain, why don't you see if you can change the outward leg to daytime? I seem to remember something on the Eurostar site that said tickets are exchangeable before you travel. But they may charge of course.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@andy1234, thirty quids
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well..I'm still undecided. We have gone bog standard class unfortunately. This trip is my attempt to prove to the husband we can have a marvellous time without booking esprit or mark Warner and save a few quid in the process. My little folk at good sleepers and used to travel so I think they will be ok. Has anyone travelled Eurostar overnight before? We have a table set, four seats together and my thinking was that the floor space which I estimate to be 1m by 1.8m based upon the website so I was thinking a blow up for the kids on the floor...I'm mad aren't I.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've not done the overnight direct train (always instead opted to change in Paris and get a proper sleeper, or travel by day) but know people who have. You'll probably find that your children sleep relatively well but you and your husband less so. Take eye masks, ear plugs etc with you as they leave the lights on. If you're lucky there might be a couple of spare seats which would mean your children could stretch on on the four you've booked and you and your husband could sleep sitting up, but that's certainly not guaranteed. I'd also want a proper pillow to stand any chance of reasonable sleep.

I think the supports of the table would get in the way of any kind of inflatable mattress, but you might find something that will work. Maybe just a big soft blanket folded up to fit? Hard to test beforehand!
latest report
I've managed to change my booking to be in the family coach and it has a wall mounted retractable side table so we have 1.8m by 0.9m floor space. I think with my two who are quite small that they will be comfortable with that, yes maybe a camping mat and a few snugly blankets. Hopefully means we can then lounge on their spare seats too. I'll report back!

Great tips - much appreciated!

Now for resort and accommodation. Would like an amazing swimming pool as both are avid swimmers and some other bad weather options.. I only know Cham and three valleys but I am tempted by arc 1950. Anyone recommend an English speaking ski school that will take a 3 year old for 9-2?

Thanks ever so much!
snow report
Snowtrain wrote:
We have a table set, four seats together and my thinking was that the floor space which I estimate to be 1m by 1.8m based upon the website so I was thinking a blow up for the kids on the floor...I'm mad aren't I.

Good idea IMO. I always take my camping mattress on long flights just in case - cheaper than a hotel and more comfortable than airport seats if you have a long layover or flight gets delayed etc.

I've used this spot in Dubai Airport a couple of times now wink

snow report
Snowtrain wrote:

Now for resort and accommodation. Would like an amazing swimming pool as both are avid swimmers and some other bad weather options.. I only know Cham and three valleys but I am tempted by arc 1950. Anyone recommend an English speaking ski school that will take a 3 year old for 9-2?

Arc 1950 is a good option but the swimming pools are not as big as the pools you get at residences in the CGH MGM chain. Eg. Les Cimes Blanches in La Rosiere that I mentioned above. It is quite a few years since our visit but the pool is a good size and it has two large Jacuzzis at the side...it is ideal for children that age. There are also saunas/steam rooms for adults near the pool. You can book the ESF lessons plus lunch option which lasts till around 2 from memory. I think there was a small bowling alley and ice rink but we didn't use them.

There is an ok indoor pool at Arc 1950 in the P and V residence. There is also an outdoor one at Manoir Savoie but your children might find it a bit cold going out to it. There is 24 hr reception in some of the Arc 1950 residences which would be a bonus if you are arriving early.
latest report
@Snowtrain, moving to the Family Coach (usually first and last coaches) is an excellent idea (silly of me not to have thought of it). I think your plan of setting up beds for the kids between the seats on the floor, and you bunking down on the seats might just work. I wish you luck.

For swimming pool, if you want "amazing", then how about Val d'Isere?

latest report
Jonpim wrote:
Snowtrain, I salute you! Brave man. I've done the overnight Eurostar once. Never again.
As snowymum mentions: with luck you have booked Premier for more room and comfort.
Second class is pretty cramped.
When you board, you will be greeted with anxious looks from all surrounding passengers: two young kids . . . Sad
With luck, they will sleep fine draped across you and your partner, but you won't get much rest.
At worst . . .
Next time drive: always worked for us.
(Sorry for pessimism, but you should be prepared.)

That's a seriously pessimistic view and belongs well in the glass half full or maybe the glass with only a mouthful of backwash left camp. No offence meant to Jonpim, but you know when reading trip advisor and you have to discount loads of reviews when people are moaning that their hotel on the main street of a holiday resort was too noisy....

(though I would be nervous about the kids running around when I'm trying to get some shut eye at 3am!)
snow report
In years gone by I would have said that you were brave taking little people on the overnight Eurostar to Bourg as it could be a somewhat boisterous affair. I think it will be a very different journey this year given that there is now a total ban on alcohol being taken on the train and that none will be sold in the buffet carriages.
snow conditions
Well, well! I'd missed this wills_h, but you're quite right! Shocked
latest report
Also on the swimming front, the new Mille 8 development in Arc 1800 opened last season with a very nice new swimming pool and spa. Most of the development is specifically aimed at children and is in the heart of the resort area, so that might be worth considering for you especially as it will mean minimal transfer at circa 6am, just make sure that what ever accommodation you go for will allow you in early. Arriving in resort at 7am on the Saturday is great as you get an extra days skiing, however the shine can be somewhat taken off if you cant get in to your accommodation and have nowhere to store your bags.
snow conditions
Yes, the concept of a dry train is so,what worrying Wink. Nonetheless. I'll have a look for accommodation - I'm happy to pay for an extra night but finding an option for 8 days isn't really happening at moment!
snow report
@wills_h, really! How is one meant to cope with such a long journey without a hamper. That's barbaric.
snow report
It was difficult enough to sleep in their standard non reclining seats after a few ales. It'll be near impossible without Laughing
ski holidays
It'll be fine. Done it a few times...with 3 kids under 8. Take the laptops or ipads and headphones, some of those plane pillow things, load up a few films each and you're off. The kids will watch their favourites until they nod off, with any luck they won't wake up til Bourg. At the other end, have a taxi waiting and in 30 mins you'll be in 1950. Doesn't matter which building you're in, they all have access to a nice pool. The Cariboo club is expensive, quite french, but good. We sometimes hired a nanny for a morning or two to come to the apartment while we went skiing. The kids watched the telly while she read Grazia, or she took them on a sled round the village or up to 2000, or on the bus to 1600 or 1800. They will also babysit during the evening if you and your partner want to go disco-dancing or whatever, but if the weather closes in and the buses stop, you have to put them up for the night. This was great when we hired Danielle from Lyon wandering around in her pyjamas, but when it was 6'4" John from Cornwall making tea in his pants in the morning, not so good. The ski-schools are good, even ESF, but the kids will be in a snake of 10 unless you go private. The village is pedestrianised and safe. I don't even wear a coat when I go out to dinner, then to the pub (ooh get me), as everything is so convenient. Enjoy. The kids will love it.
latest report
Well, Don Keebles, that's told me!
Though, as you were able to hire a nanny for a couple of days, i suspect you went first class rather than slumming with the Hoi-Polloi.
Still, excellent to have such a positive post, and i bet its cheered up Snowtrain Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't pay a lot of money to sit up all night, with or without kids. I have sat up all night on a coach with kids but that was for very little money and we were delivered right to the chalet door.
latest report
To be honest Jonpim, I've done 1st class and standard Eurostar direct, and standard Eurostar to Paris and tubed it across for 1st class SNCF for the rest. Yes, the cost varies a lot but the kids didn't seem to notice or care. A packed lunch/dinner with all their favourites (bribes), Spy Kids 1,2 and 3 sorted them right out. The cab up to 1950 was about €60, 5 of us on the funicular would've been about €20? so for the sake of £25, when you're skiing, I thought was worth it. And of course once in the resort, there are loads of savings you can make vis-a-vis eating out/in. We often came back to the apartment for lunch it's so ski-in ski-out, (4 slices of toasted thick sliced white bread and a whole tin of beans and a great big lump of grated cheddar on top) for example saving loads. Anyway, everyone had a great time and I'm sure Snowtrain will wherever she decides to go.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
I wouldn't pay a lot of money to sit up all night, with or without kids. I have sat up all night on a coach with kids but that was for very little money and we were delivered right to the chalet door.

It all depends on personal preference. My kids would choose any train service over every other form of transport. I would rather sit in a semi reclined train seat for 10 hours than take a no frills flight and endure a three hour coach transfer plus all the waiting around at airports. The Eurostar standard premier service is really quite enjoyable with the complimentary food and wine delivered to your seat. The only drawback is the cost and it obviously suits people who live near St Pancras or Ashford most.
latest report
It is of course about preference, this year I'm stuck with a combination of easyjet/ryanair as they are the only suitable operators for me. Nothing like a nice relaxed seat on a train watching films, chatting with friends and getting some sleep overnight. Love the snow train. Though skiing in France is not my favourite.
ski holidays
Yeah, especially if you end up on some god awful 6am flight its not like you get much sleep anyway prior to traveling.

At least on a train you can stretch your legs and once you're on, you're on.
snow report
Quote:

My kids would choose any train service over every other form of transport

my kids used to prefer flying to coach, and I told them they were free to pay the extra, from their savings, to go by air. They chose not to. wink I can see the daytime train has a lot to commend it in some ways, but we liked having the two extra Saturdays to ski, which the coach gave. You could stretch your legs on the coach, and they served bacon baps and big mugs of tea for not very much money and, as I mentioned, took us right to the door of our chalet. I always drive now because I need a car in resort and go for a long time. Have done the train too - but overnight sleeper, changing in Paris (by tube) - and without children.
ski holidays
We're doing one plane trip and one train trip this year. One of our primary travel requirements these days is "SHORT TRANSFER" - being trapped on a coach for hour after hour with travel sick kids is no way to start or end a holiday. We always try to keep our two relatively 'empty' for the journey, both Always29 and I used to be 'bad' travellers when little so we don't like to tempt fate too far. So many people stuff their kids with Pain au chocolate, pringles and juice before firing up the iPad and packing the kids into a coach for two and a half hours with a third of it on a mountain road, and you can pretty much guarantee a mexican wave of "BLEAUGHHH!" at some point.
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, was it your thread last year which entertained us all so much? Link?
latest report
pam w wrote:
@Richard_Sideways, was it your thread last year which entertained us all so much? Link?

I put the link to it further up.... saying she may wish to read it as well.
snow conditions
@NickyJ, ah, good - I missed that. Compulsory reading, I think.
ski holidays
Quote:
my kids used to prefer flying to coach, and I told them they were free to pay the extra, from their savings

Methinks a little harsh on four and five year olds Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

Methinks a little harsh on four and five year olds

Laughing yes, mine were rather older. I was taking a group including my own 3 kids, 1 friend and 2 younger cousins on a bargain basement early January holiday with Snowcoach. But even at 4 or 5 they didn't get to dictate how a holiday should be organised. wink

I was amused by one hard up Snowhead, a few years ago, who said, on a thread about overnight stops on the way to the Alps, that his teenage daughter "wouldn't" stay at a F1 hotel. I think my comment at the time was that I'd leave the spoilt brat at home with grandma. rolling eyes

Children who go on ski holidays are extraordinarily priveleged, even if they do have to kick their heels in airports, behave themselves on trains or get bored in the back of cars. Diddums.

We couldn't afford to go skiing until the youngest was 4 - and the older ones 9 and 11. There would have been no question of paid "child care", either. It was enormous fun - a two week self-catering stay in an obscure resort in Austria. We took grandma, a pressure cooker, a carefully planned stash of ingredients for meals and skis hired from a shop in Ayr tied up in a pink candlewick bedspread.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy