Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier/La Grave road closure/Tunnel du Chambon

Poster: A snowHead
MadMountainMan wrote:

@rjs, MB tunnel is a little more than Frejus, however by Aosta and Turin it's over 300 km whilst by Albertville and Frejus tunnel is just over 250km.

Ok, Via Michelin was suggesting sticking to the autoroute via Annecy and Chambery if using the Frejus. It still gives a similar time going via Albertville or Aosta and I doubt you will be going all that fast through the Val d'Arly in a campervan.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MadMountainMan, they really do stick it you with vans. My VW van falls below the sizing for class 2, (I think it was 1 vs 2 or 2 vs 3) I even printed out the dimensions and the dimensions from the tunnel web site. Arrived at the booth and it was a clear "Non" he then pointed to a picture on the wall of a VW van he had, where obviously others had made the point and I was charged Class 2 and not 1 or whatever.

What I was told by the tourist office was that the discounted tickets will only be for cars, which is just as well as I bought a carnet of ten (which you now have to use in 12 months and not the previous 24months).

And know it's a long way off, but to get to LG via Frejus / Briancon you have the little matter of the Lautaret to take into consideration (Col de Montgenevre is not so exposed to the wind), and if you're chasing fresh snow based on a forecast then you have to watch out for the Lautaret being closed.

It's not so much the fresh snow falling but a day after when often the front has tracked through and the wind kicks in. And from experience they don't tend to close it much during the week, but at the weekends, after around 14:30 having let the majority of the transfer traffic try get over, they then they worry about cars getting stuck in the dark.

I had to go back and forth to LG (was on a course) Mon to Fri (like a commute) when conditions were pretty bad, and I was very surprised they had not shut it one day, and then there was last season on the infamous Dec 29th when I dropped my daughter off at the damn (just pass the tunnel) and then made it back over in bonkers conditions.

And re accommodation, Hotel Edelweiss , you don't have to book Sat - Sat etc and they do have a number of apartments as well, and they are prepared for last minute bookings as that is the nature of the beast as it were, and has to be said their bar is one of the finest in the Alps and they do a superb New Year (I think) Puzzled
http://www.hotel-edelweiss.com/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Latest on the road on the left bank

http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/alpes/isere/face-au-tunnel-du-chambon-la-petite-route-sera-livree-fin-octobre-821069.html

We're having dinner with Robin & Marlon (Edelweiss) tomorrow night so will be interesting to hear their take on things.

I plan to bike over there next week, hopefully when the weather settles down from the current mini winter we're having.

From a couple of brief chats, people are a tad skeptical on how practical the road will be in the depths of winter, being totally in the shade and very exposed to stuff coming down from above.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I doubt you will be going all that fast through the Val d'Arly in a campervan.

Always worth checking whether the Gorge d'Arly is open - it's been closed more than open I suspect, in many years.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good advice thanks. I'm hoping to go to La Grave in Jan, but I have to go to LDA, so might just base myself there and ski over (with a guide) - sound reasonable?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@iainm, will depend on snow cover as to whether they open the link, that said if you're with a guide you can hike over the last bit at the top of LDA to drop down the Girose glacier.

To get back though from LG you'll have a long hike if the glacier drag is not open, it's around an hour skinning and again, if the lift / link is not open best to be with a guide as they'll be a few holes to avoid!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^ yip.
if you want to ski in La Grave then best to stay there IMHO.
giroise t-bar to 3500m in La Grave wont be open until end of January.
in which case the connection between L2A and LG is officially closed and lift pass not valid.

even when the link is "open" it is time consuming / slow / and unreliable.
only really allowing 1 or 2 runs in La Grave from those starting in L2A.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam, Thanks for the info, sorry I didn't respond earlier I completely missed your post Embarassed you want to check how much I pay when they classify me as a class 3. For Frejus:
class 1 - €43.50
class 2 - €57.60
class 3 - €157.90 Shocked

But thanks for all the info. We will decide closer to the time what approach we will take! Depends a lot on how many of decide to go and for how long. If I don't end up taking the van then the Edelweiss sounds good Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Though it can be very good when everywhere is closed and you come over from LDA and are packing skins Cool

girosse.mp4 from Weathercam
https://vimeo.com/38917618
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Latest news on the road. It is expected to have a capacity of 1500 vehicles per day, that is the same as the old road except for peak periods. It will be open to all car traffic not just locals. There is an avalanche control and clearance plan in place for this winter.

If you are travelling on a peak Saturday in mid winter it may be a poor idea... although it is doubtful that many tourists will be taking it is likely it will not be signposted from the Grenoble end.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@davidof, That's good news. I should be able to get round to La Grave, Serre Chevalier and the other resorts accessible via that road. I'm unlikely to do so on a Saturday I would think. Any news on the opening date?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been out nigh on a couple of weeks here and I've heard so many different points of view from people in the "know".

So as sort of planned I decided to go and take a look for myself, and cycled over from here last Sunday hoping that no one would be working and that I could gain access to the new route.

Whatever happens to this route, it's pretty damn scenic - pic below shows the "old road" going into the tunnel and you can see where the slides happened in the summer.

I've done a report with loads more images etc here.

@davidof, think trying to approach it from your end might be possible on a Sunday but it might be more difficult to access as that is where the more serious work is being carried out.

As I mention in the article there is still a lot of work to be done, and they're going to have to lay down one feck of a lot of aggregate, at least locally there's plenty of base material close to hand.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see how this all pans out - but at least for the residents of La Grave and Villar D'Arene they will now have a road, as for the rest of us we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 13-10-15 12:40; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looking at your photos it is hard to believe they'll have it opened for the end of the month. Good report, thanks for going over and taking a look.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I clicked the here button and got a coming soon website.

I missed the big slide over the summer. Is there a good video of it somewhere?
I take it Grenoble wasn't wiped out by a Tsunami, as some had predicted.......
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@cameronphillips2000, ok that link should work now - if it fails then go to the link in my sig and you'll see the article links in the right hand side bar
snow report
@Weathercam, Really helpful report, thanks. Looks like Turin airport for the SOPiB then
snow conditions
@Chamcham, just seen this link now, thanks to @Weathercam, .
So do 'we' think Turin is looking definite for the off piste bash then?
snow conditions
@dvb, even if the road is indeed open to cars / traffic I for one would not chance it.

There is hardly any difference in time, actually Frejus is slightly faster if driving down from the UK and if flying Turin is so much easier than Grenoble.

Even before all this I always advised people to fly to Turin as coming from Grenoble you still had the Lautaret to get over.
snow report
@Weathercam, all good points, thanks, great to have some people on the ground for advise.
So Turin it is then.
latest report
Yep, I'm up for Turin.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, useful report thanks!
ski holidays
latest:

http://www.2alpesnet.com/news/tunnel-du-chambon-replacement-road-opens-end-of-october-2-alpes-region-689127
snow report
@dsoutar, latest ?

Did you read my report and see how much work is still to be done ?

Sorry but that type of report is exactly the reason why I went down to see for myself.

They are going to do well if they get it ready for end of November and that will be a staggering achievement!
ski holidays
Those construction guys must have large cojones............
Doesn't really look like it's going to be all that suitable for large vehicles though Shocked
latest report
@KenX, sure your jeep will be ok Toofy Grin
latest report
@Weathercam, It may be, but I'll be thinking about what's above and below me..........
latest report
More news on the new relief road http://radioimagine.com/article/chambon-route-rive-gauche-lac-ouvre-debut-novembre (in French, but the Chrome translation is surprisingly good)
snow report
I did visit the Tourist Office and they confirmed that there will be an online facility to buy Frejus tickets, but as to when and the exact detail they were none too clear - proof of residing in Serre is needed etc etc

There was indeed a lot of media hype last Thursday as they finished the final part of opening the route, now all they have to do is build the road to take the traffic rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've referred Naufragés du Chambon (Shipwrecked community of Chambon), a FaceBook group a couple of times - and the guys that writes is does so in a satirical way, always having a "pop" at the political chiefs in charge.

This is his latest, which I've run through a translator tool, (I've put the French underneath it) but you'll get the gist, and I do like the last line.

So I presume that indeed only the locals will be able to use the route this winter - although have read elsewhere that mid week should be ok, and that only at weekends and holidays will "tourists" be invited to take the Frejus rolling eyes

Ladies and gentlemen, the company cd38 is pleased to welcome you on his flight rd1091 Grenoble / Briançon, the take-off will be held on 15 November on the track burn 001.
For the reopening of the temporary, only the local users low cost fitted with a boarding pass validated in high romansh will be empowered to make the journey very air on a part of the route. The flight will take place on aircraft small capacity adapted to the narrowness of the air corridor conceded by the department of transportation in high altitude and sudden weather.
The Commander Jean Pierre Barber, the co-Pilot Bernard Perazio and the hostess mp flechon, apologize for not being able to accompany you on this first flight, they follow training on aircraft for long haul routes Grenoble Paris first class.
This maiden flight takes off with only 7 months late, the company cd38 hope this slight against time will not have you caused discomfort and will do everything possible to ensure that this first flight you is a pleasant one, snacks will be served in the case of Further delay and our lovely hostesses cci remain at your disposal to make your journey as smooth as possible.
Soon the reopening of the main path will allow for a less air traffic but more dense, our crew of shock will then be able to take in hand the orders of a tool to the extent of his skills and deregulate the transport in this sector difficult.
The Control Tower in Paris recalls that everything related to air travel is subject to the approval of the prime minister and that passengers do not have to worry even if the flight time grenoble briançon is past since 10 April of 2 hours to 4800 hours.
Hoping to see you again as soon as possible on our lines, all the crew would like to thank you for choosing cd38 roads lines for your trip.
To mitigate the inconvenience due to the work, the company will reimburse your tickets and grants you the tax refunds and financial facilities on alcohol, cigarettes, the luxury products but not on the commercial activities during the robbery of substitution.

The question remains, is there a pilot with a license of theft in this plane? Or at least a minimum number of hours of driving in an emergency situation?

J 196
PS: the most dangerous thing in the world is a policy with a study, a budget and schedule.

Mesdames et messieurs, la Compagnie CD38 est heureuse de vous accueillir sur son vol RD1091 Grenoble / Briançon, le décollage aura lieu le 15 novembre sur la piste PROUTE 001.
Pour la réouverture de la liaison temporaire, seuls les usagers locaux Low Cost munis d'une carte d'embarquement validée en Haute Romanche seront habilités à effectuer le trajet très aérien sur une partie de l'itinéraire. Le vol se déroulera à bord d'aéronefs de petite capacité adaptés à l'étroitesse du couloir aérien concédé par le Département des transports en altitude élevée et intempéries subites.
Le commandant de bord Jean Pierre Barbier, le co-pilote Bernard Perazio et l'hôtesse MP Flechon, s'excusent de ne pouvoir vous accompagner sur ce premier vol, ils suivent une formation sur avion gros porteur long courrier pour des liaisons Grenoble Paris First Class.
Ce vol inaugural décollera avec seulement 7 mois de retard, la Compagnie CD38 espère que ce léger contre temps ne vous aura pas causé de désagréments et fera tout son possible pour que ce premier vol vous soit agréable, des collations seront servies en cas de nouveau retard et nos charmantes hôtesses CCI restent à votre disposition pour rendre votre trajet aussi doux que faire se peut.
Bientôt la réouverture de la piste principale permettra un trafic moins aérien mais plus dense, notre équipage de choc pourra alors prendre en main les commandes d'un outil à la mesure de ses compétences et déréglementer les transports dans ce secteur difficile.
La tour de contrôle parisienne rappelle que tout ce qui touche au transport aérien est soumis à l'approbation directe du Premier Ministre et que les passagers n'ont pas à s'inquiéter même si le temps de vol Grenoble Briançon est passé depuis le 10 avril de 2 heures à 4800 heures.
En espérant vous revoir au plus vite sur nos lignes, tout l'équipage vous remercie d'avoir choisi CD38 Routes Lines pour votre voyage.
Pour atténuer les désagréments dus aux travaux, la Compagnie remboursera vos billets et vous accorde des détaxes et facilités financières sur l'alcool, les cigarettes, les produits de luxe mais pas sur les activités commerciales durant ce vol qualifié de substitution.

La question reste posée, y a-t-il un pilote ayant une licence de vol dans cet avion ? Ou pour le moins un minimum d'heures de pilotage en situation d'urgence ?

J 196
PS : La chose la plus dangereuse au monde est un politique avec une étude, un budget et un planning.
snow conditions
Decided on a bike ride as weather is lovely. On the way back I came down past the new road. Still seems some work is needed.

latest report
Had the following email from my tour operator yesterday...

I saw the Serre Che tourist office this week and the Frejus tunnel tickets should be available to book online from 20th November for 13€ each way for anyone with a holiday booked to serre chevalier. You should just need your booking reference from us for this.here is the link to the website
http://www.serre-chevalier.com/hiver/la-vallee-au-coeur-des-alpes/acces/par-la-route/
ski holidays
@backhojo, I'm still waiting to see how this will work for people staying in privately rented accommodation. I have been told that you can only have one return ticket per vehicle for the whole season, which makes it difficult for those of us visiting more often, and that you also have to give your car reg number in advance which is a bit difficult for those people hiring cars from Grenoble airport.
ski holidays
Last I saw, quite recently, the road was due to open this Saturday. Doesn't look likely from these photos.
ski holidays
The farce continues with loads of acrimonious finger pointing re up coming elections and PR stunts.

See http://www.lemedia05.com/tag/tunnel-du-chambon/ and run it through Google translate

Basically they hope to have road open with a surface of asphalt around Nov 20th but it still seems unclear as to who will be able to use it.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, the "abonnement" multi-ticket arrangement is a lot cheaper and doesn't need car registration numbers. I am not likely to be using the Frejus tunnel so often in the next year or so but will certainly need some tickets. There's a "smart card" you show at the ticket booth - shouldn't be impossible to share one? I will probably be needing two returns (ie 4 trips) at Easter and even if you don't use them all, it's still a worthwhile saving over the "buy on the day" price.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
@Hells Bells, the "abonnement" multi-ticket arrangement is a lot cheaper and doesn't need car registration numbers. I am not likely to be using the Frejus tunnel so often in the next year or so but will certainly need some tickets. There's a "smart card" you show at the ticket booth - shouldn't be impossible to share one? I will probably be needing two returns (ie 4 trips) at Easter and even if you don't use them all, it's still a worthwhile saving over the "buy on the day" price.

We need to do one return trip in February to pick up son from 6th form ski trip in Serre Chevalier to whisk him to the family holiday in Valloire - already been advised that Frejus tunnel is the way to go, would be interested in a combined purchase. I've had a look at the website and pretty sure it's ok to share, just can't have two different vehicles going through at the same time on the same ticket.
snow conditions
https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/transports/chambon-la-route-de-secours-bientot-ouverte-1445630390?7
ski holidays
Hmm. I wonder how they'll prevent "tourists" using the new route de secours....
ski holidays
@pam w, I suspect that they just won't advertise that the route exists. Those of us savvy enough to investigate will know, and the numpties who haven't even realised there is a problem with the road will find out. The signs on the approach roads on the autoroute will redirect.
snow report
@Alastair Pink, I think that website article might be more calculated PR on behalf of Bernard Perazio and all the bureaucrats vying for election.

I'm waiting till the end of the month and then will ask friends in LG what the feck is actually happening (because they have no feckin idea now) as it would seem the medja might be a tad manipulated currently.

Think about it a moment, if this was in the UK, and France is actually not too far behind us ( Toofy Grin ) - the road has yet to be surfaced, there probably is still a lot of final work to do and test drainage, barriers and the like, and then it will have to be signed off by the health and safety brigade across numerous departments etc etc - and the installation of traffic lights etc etc

I for one am actually intrigued as to how this is going to play out, and not that I'd even consider taking the chance of actually using it, as I bought a carnet of Frejus tickets, plus have had in the past the misfortune of getting near where the tunnel is close only to be turned back because the Lautaret was closed and then had the lovely detour via Gap rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy