Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier/La Grave road closure/Tunnel du Chambon

Poster: A snowHead
Was in LG last Feb and it was quiet, occasionally seeing a handful on the mountain and a few more at lift. Last day saw about 20-30 people and made me remember it wasn't our private playground.

Glad to hear temp road is ok. Taken the plunge to go back again, this time with Skierslodge.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Haggis_Trap,

Hi what are conditions on the hill? If I understand correctly you are there. As I can see on webcam there appears to be no activity at P1 ???

Any hands on info will help!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
not sure if you have seen this but been sent a handy guide to the RS1091 by my tour op
http://www.isere.gouv.fr/content/download/24551/192001/file/DEPLIANT%20TUNNEL%20CHAMBON-WEB.pdf
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The new road looks pretty good and reportsearilier in the thread say it cost only 5 Million Euros. Can you imagine that happening in the UK in about 6 months for anything less than about £500 Million?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My two bobs worth on the debate. Locals may be able to contribute more about the politics. Do they have something against La Grave, or is it just a way of limiting traffic by omission?

http://www.skipedia.co.uk/2016/02/conspiracy-against-la-grave/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@iainm, conspiracy theory! That is such bollox you should be ashamed of putting finger to keyboard to come up with that trash and its an insult to people of La Grave and V d'Arene.
It's a route des Secours and can't be officially classed as open, hence the signs!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
iainm wrote:
My two bobs worth on the debate. Locals may be able to contribute more about the politics. Do they have something against La Grave, or is it just a way of limiting traffic by omission?

http://www.skipedia.co.uk/2016/02/conspiracy-against-la-grave/

There's nothing against la Grave - if there was the department would not have invested 6.9 million in the new road. The old tunnel is finished and a new tunnel will have to be built. Times are hard, money is short. la Grave should be pleased there is any road at all really. We've had to go without repairs to a bridge over the river Isere (which is closed leading to a long detour for some commuters every day) to finance the la Grave road.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry I've read it a few times again along with my OH and maybe I was a tad harsh, but titling it Conspiracy Against La Grave is a tad naive, but I'm sure you mean well
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And just been reading on FB that gendarmes were stopping tourists today taking the new road to the exasperation of the LG Mayor, with one Swiss guy being told that he should ski Deux Alpes and not LG rolling eyes

Which might get the conspiracy theorists going Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote:
And just been reading on FB that gendarmes were stopping tourists today taking the new road to the exasperation of the LG Mayor, with one Swiss guy being told that he should ski Deux Alpes and not LG rolling eyes

Which might get the conspiracy theorists going Toofy Grin

Today? on what grounds? The road is open to everyone. What reason could there be on a Thursday?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
www.dici.fr/actu/2016/02/04/chambon-barrages-route-provisoire-population-n-plus-selon-jean-pierre-sevrez-maire-de-grave-704167
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weathercam wrote:
www.dici.fr/actu/2016/02/04/chambon-barrages-route-provisoire-population-n-plus-selon-jean-pierre-sevrez-maire-de-grave-704167

bizarre, the mayor of la Grave will have to talk to the Isere prefet who controls the gendarmerie.

Difficult for tourists though to deal with the Gendarmes.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weathercam wrote:
And just been reading on FB that gendarmes were stopping tourists today taking the new road to the exasperation of the LG Mayor...

Hmmm.... this was one of our options for the drive to Briancon. We will be travelling at a busy time on a busy day and have been warned of congestion at the Frejus tunnel. I'll be in a Land Rover (Disco) with decent tyres so no concerns about the driving (unless the weather is utterly foul) but really wouldn't want to go that way and then get turned back.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Further twist to the Gendarme story......

Basically no evidence to corroborate the story !!!

Dans son intervention au cours de l'audio conférence de vendredi, la Préfecture 38 réfute toute intervention des gendarmes sur la route de secours cette semaine.
Les deux appels téléphoniques des touristes suisses à la mairie et au téléphérique seraient un canular, d'ailleurs d'après nos sources à la Préfecture, la Suisse n'existerait pas et le mardi 2 février n'aurait pas existé non plus. La Préfecture n'a pas trace de contrôle de gendarmerie ce jour là et nous demande de prouver nos allégations incendiaires, fichtre, devrons nous également creuser nous même le tunnel ?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Weathercam, even more bizarre
ski holidays
@Higs, we're doing the same trip (albeit to Puy st Vincent) next Saturday (13th Feb) in Subaru Forester with snow tyres and not sure whether to risk the Route de Secours. I really don't want to take the Frejus option as it will mean going via Chambery and where I'm sure traffic will be heavy as it is also likely to be at the tunnel. The other option is via Gap which is a bit longer but I'm guessing less busy. We'll probably keep an eye on the forecast during the week (at the moment looks like a fair bit of snow on the way) and on Saturday make our decision as we close in on Grenoble.
If anyone is in the vicinity next Saturday and knows if the road is open it would be great to get an update!
snow conditions
@philipb, I think if I was heading out at half-term, I would be avoiding Chambery too. There were massive jams today. The Gap route is probably the better option, you can then choose to take the RdS depending on the forecast.
latest report
Was in a friend's hotel tonight and some Frenchies turned up saying how bad the traffic was from Chorges, which is where the Sisteron road (from Mediterranean Urban Metropoli) hooks up with the Gap diversion traffic, sounded bad.....

You can't win this time of year unless traveling in anti social hours.....
snow report
philipb wrote:
@Higs, we're doing the same trip (albeit to Puy st Vincent) next Saturday (13th Feb) in Subaru Forester with snow tyres and not sure whether to risk the Route de Secours. I really don't want to take the Frejus option as it will mean going via Chambery and where I'm sure traffic will be heavy as it is also likely to be at the tunnel. The other option is via Gap which is a bit longer but I'm guessing less busy. We'll probably keep an eye on the forecast during the week (at the moment looks like a fair bit of snow on the way) and on Saturday make our decision as we close in on Grenoble.
If anyone is in the vicinity next Saturday and knows if the road is open it would be great to get an update!

Well it looks like the story of gendarmes turning people back is a myth... maybe...
Unless the Route De Secours is closed by a big snow dump I'm sure you'll be fine in a Forester on snow tyres. The chances of seeing each other are obviously minute our Disco is a metallic copper/brown/rust/terracotta and, if we go that way, it will be me behind the wheel - devastatingly handsome with a bushy beard - with three kids in the back.
latest report
@Higs, we'll look out for you. Black Forester, 2 kids in the back - SCGB and British Cycling stickers on the back! We've always used the Lautaret route in the past but not on the new road.
snow report
This is from the Facebook page of the Naufragés du Chambon on 1st February

"Back to normal, the road is reopened after securing the avalanches.
So in practice, it is clearly indicated closed for not induce tourists in error. She is no longer closed closed, but open closed.
Good luck and good road."

and the 4th Feb

"Alert Level 3: Third dam with tourists turned back on the road to rescue. This is serious, The Operation Punch / coup de grace of the gendarmerie this Thursday, 4 February pushes the exasperation of the population at its height..."

There will be a large volume of traffic on the roads on 13th Feb whichever way you go. Marseille and Belgium heading home; Paris and London heading south.But the emergency road is an emergency road for LOCAL traffic not through traffic.
snow report
Guy I skied with here last week made his way to Briancon via the road yesterday no problem. Was also talking to Niven (who many from SC will know) yesterday, he said the road is a pussy cat in comparison to Les Travers, the road the locals use for getting up here. I've never dared drive that although I've been a passenger many times Shocked
latest report
From Radio Oxygene Facebook page;

Attention : fermetures nocturnes de la route de secours du Chambon RS 1091 en raison de travaux suite à un glissement de terrain, les dimanches, lundis, mardis, mercredis et jeudis soirs entre 21h30 et 5h00 jusqu'au 25 mars prochain.
snow conditions
Hopefully not "next March" Shocked
ski holidays
In Skiers Lodge, just announced during dinner - temporary road closed for next 48hrs. Not sure why but heard somebody mention landslide. Getting to Grenoble for my flight on Saturday now looks like a major pain in the proverbial Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
@AB Ski, yes, there's been a landslide.
snow conditions
It has made my mind up to buy tickets for Frejus for two weeks time though.
snow conditions
Talking to someone here a couple of nights ago who was spreading rumours of non locals being turned round during recent busy holiday days. Not sure if there's any substance at all.

Link over the top from here to La Grave now open so less of an issue for those here.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Claude B, we were told that they were just unsubstantiated rumour, but who knows.
snow report
Another land slide, what was always said abut how precarious the new road would be!
http://www.lemedia05.com/2016/32912/la-route-de-secours-du-chambon-fermee-pour-48-heures-apres-un-nouvel-eboulement/

latest report
Just been speaking to Marlon at the Edelweiss in La Grave.

She had a bit of mare getting back from Italy yesterday as the Lautaret closed 20 mins before so had to go via Gap, and I then asked how as I thought the rescue road was still closed and she said that they just squeezed through as plans had been made based on the forecast etc

The road is now closed every evening during the week (for ongoing work) but open daylight hours and all the time at the weekend.

Still think at this time of the year best to avoid though.
ski holidays
If I'm correctly reading this in google translate, it appears the new tunnel should be open in some form between mid Dec and mid March 2017

http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/alpes/isere/petit-petit-le-nouveau-du-tunnel-du-chambon-fait-son-trou-1051495.html
snow report
@AB Ski there is work ongoing to ensure it will be open again for the winter, and then it will be completed next Spring.
snow conditions
I'm guessing by finishing they mean decorating, hopefully the structure will be "finished"........
ski holidays
@KenX, probably putting up the permaneny lighting, road marking etc.
ski holidays
I'll be going over there in the next few days so will get the take on things...................
latest report
@Weathercam, we'll be heading back that way on Saturday. Sadly home beckons.
snow report
Took the relief road back on Saturday am. Some stupid TW@T in a motorhome was attempting it, despite the signs warning they were forbidden. He got to the second corner before realising he couldn't go any further, as by this time the traffic was unable to pass him on the other side of the road, and it wasn't a huge one. Hopefully he managed to turn round. Work going on at other side but not really able to see what was going on from the car. Pretty drive though, with great views of the lake, dam and Mizoen above. Would not like to have done it in snow.
ski holidays
Funnily enough was wondering if it was open yet - obviously not!

Will be travelling from Lake Garda to AdH in summer with caravan so guess it will be the long way around rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Boris, yes it will be, sorry.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy