Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Finding lost skis in powder

Poster: A snowHead
@MichaelHill, I would be interested to know what you have found out about the Pow Unity finder, as there is no technical information on the website (unless I missed it). Size, weight, range, frequency, cost etc? The security feature appears to be Bluetooth, what about the finder?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for all those advices Smile Seems like an important topic to discuss. I plan to buy new gear in November and then I will decide what to go for. If powunity is available in the States, I will give it a try, but lets find out.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[quote="PowderAdict"]
Layne wrote:
but you would sweep the slope Avalanche transceiver style to find it.

Only you'll be picking up the ski still attached to your foot Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PowderAdict wrote:
@MichaelHill, I would be interested to know what you have found out about the Pow Unity finder, as there is no technical information on the website (unless I missed it). Size, weight, range, frequency, cost etc? The security feature appears to be Bluetooth, what about the finder?

Since I am subscribed to their newsletter, I just saw a couple of days ago that they have a new website. On the previous site all the data were mentioned and I guess they are stil working on this (hopefully).
I am not sure if I remember all data correctly, but the device is very light (below 50g for sure), appr. 15mm high and not too long if I recall correctly. It is written on their new site that the frequency is 2.8 kHZ and the signal reaches 96 dB at 1m.
They were promoting at ISPO the price around 80-100 EUR/package of 2 devices, which was definititely reasonable.

Why I honestly like them (and I do not get any comission from them so far Very Happy) is the way they handle issue with the alarm. They said that as soon as a skier lose connection between the smartphone and the device (saying when you fall) an automatic sound is triggered coming from the device, which means you don't have to put your smartphone out.

I am looking forward to get more info regarding pricing etc. They mentioned that they will start with an online sales campaign soon, so lets find out.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm just skeptical given how many recreational Europeans can actually ski in powder (hmmm, maybe that makes for a bigger market) and how often their ski days coincide with true powder dumps. (Not very often in my experience).

Plus, it's really really not so very necessary, IMV.

As a ski theft deterrent, however, maybe.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@MichaelHill, That sort of doesn't make sense to me. As I understand it that device is meant for ski theft as much as for lost skis. And the system as you describe it means that as soon as you walk out of range of the device (say into a café or bar) then it will go off. Bluetooth range would almost certainly be too short to maintain contact when you are inside a building and the skis are outside. Or at least there would be too high a chance of it happening unintentionally to make it practical.
Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@MadMountainMan

I don't have the product yet so I don't know how will it actually work. But I checked it out and here is the tricky thing: they use accelerometer which recognise the movemevent. This means that once you are in the anti-theft mode (I guess you switch through the app), the device will only work when there is a movement no matter how far away are you (or actually your receiver).

And the ski-finding mode works obviously automatically. So if this device actually works as explained, it is definitely a very smart invention.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@MadMountainMan, I am also confused, as the ski loss, and anti theft features seem to be at odds with each other, unless there is some mode switch that has not been mentioned.

The system appears to trigger in ski mode when the device loses bluetooth connection with the users phone. So if I fall and the ski buries itself out of sight 5m away, I would want it to trigger. But this is still well within normal bluetooth range, so the signal must be attenuated in some way. If this is the case I assume that it must be turned on/off every time you take your skis for a lift etc, otherwise it would trigger every time you moved 5m from your skis.

Now in anti-theft mode, you probably want a range of 30m plus before it triggers, as the distance between a ski rack and the back of a large mountain restaurant can be significant. A reliable 30m plus bluetooth connection seems unlikely.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
I'm just skeptical given how many recreational Europeans can actually ski in powder ...
Ah yes, but should they ever find any, they'll be extremely well equipped, it seems.

If you add up the recommendations for "safety" gear on these forums you'd have more stuff than anyone could possibly carry. It would of course make you very safe, as you'd be unlikely to be able to carry it all out of the bar.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
philwig wrote:
under a new name wrote:
I'm just skeptical given how many recreational Europeans can actually ski in powder ...
Ah yes, but should they ever find any, they'll be extremely well equipped, it seems.

If you add up the recommendations for "safety" gear on these forums you'd have more stuff than anyone could possibly carry. It would of course make you very safe, as you'd be unlikely to be able to carry it all out of the bar.

That sounds like me Sad

Im not that bad - Helmet, avi kit and ABS...... (ok I bought an Avi lung to but never used)

Its the 7 sets of skis just in case that amuse the wife the most (by amuse I mean annoy Happy )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PowderAdict wrote:
@MadMountainMan, I am also confused, as the ski loss, and anti theft features seem to be at odds with each other, unless there is some mode switch that has not been mentioned.

The system appears to trigger in ski mode when the device loses bluetooth connection with the users phone. So if I fall and the ski buries itself out of sight 5m away, I would want it to trigger. But this is still well within normal bluetooth range, so the signal must be attenuated in some way. If this is the case I assume that it must be turned on/off every time you take your skis for a lift etc, otherwise it would trigger every time you moved 5m from your skis.

Now in anti-theft mode, you probably want a range of 30m plus before it triggers, as the distance between a ski rack and the back of a large mountain restaurant can be significant. A reliable 30m plus bluetooth connection seems unlikely.

They had an app at ISPO where they showed how it actually works and there was a switch mode between "ski finding" and "anti-theft" (or smth similar). So once you are in the ski-finding mode, the device is automatically triggered as soon as there is low connection between your smartphone and the device.

For the "anti-theft" mode the connection does not play any major role - it is the accelerometer that does the job. As soon as I was trying to "take" the skis with their device on it and walk away, the alarm was triggered after certain time and it had nothing to do with the connection. However, they said that if you have the connection between your smartphone and the device, you will get a notification that someone is taking your skis Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I dreamily bought powder straps after my second ski holiday Embarassed I've been on dozens of holidays since and there's been little need for them Sad Spend your money on a guide rather than a ski locator, and the guide will find your skis!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:

When I started skiing everyone used leashes all the time.

Just like these? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/g_DeqAh3KWY
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The snowploughing at 5:40 is hilarious Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I'm still struggling with the whole needing assistance to find the skis.

me too - I do think it was harder with 2m skinny planks though, seemed to travel further.
Quote:

Why is anyone falling over in powder anyway?

Can't claim I never fall over though!
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm just skeptical given how many recreational Europeans can actually ski in powder

Surely put anyone on something >100mm waist and they can "ski" powder? It's not hard is it?
snow report
I would recommend some form of protection from loosing your ski in powder be it the fancy electronic finder or the simple powder cords. I have been using powder cords for years and they have always worked and saved hours of searching for skis. They are a faff when taking skis on and off but in the long run if they save you 2 hrs of searching and a ruined day the faff time is nothing. The "one" time I didn't use them as I was to impatient to hit thigh deep pow in Japan I hit a buried tree (or something) and lost my ski. 2 hours of searching with 3 people with no luck. 2 mins to attach the cords would have saved 1hr and 58mins and a lost ski and the hassle of getting down off piste with one ski.....and the expensive of buying new skis!
latest report
@Gaza, precisely. 2:21 in.

Didn't see a pair of ski brakes until oohhh, 1975 or something.

Am I giving away my age?

Nice stem christies from Herr Kuwall...
snow report
jedster wrote:
Quote:

I'm just skeptical given how many recreational Europeans can actually ski in powder

Surely put anyone on something >100mm waist and they can "ski" powder? It's not hard is it?

A fair point, and a good argument for the return to long skinny skis. But you really don't see the masses out skiing on >10cm skis and off piste. Most people, most of the time would rather a nicely groomed blue, with sunshine.

And fair enough.
snow report
DrLawn wrote:
When you fall keep cool and keep calm.
Gather your wits and take a breather before you start thrashing about in the snow.
You'll usualy have one still with you, look around and see if there are any clue's to where it is.
As @philwig says look back up the slope that's where they usually are.
As you crawl back up slice the tail of the ski you still have across the likely trail.

You were lucky enough to find the powda .. so the ski should be easy.
I haven't used my tracers in years .. I wonder if I can still find them.

I agree with all of that.

The one thing I would add is to plant one ski pole at the point you fell, just in case you do spend some time searching. All too often people start charging around all over the place, but as has been said the ski is usually above the place you fell. After say ten minutes searching the snow gets chopped up and it can help sometimes just to go back to the point of the fall and start again more methodically.
latest report
under a new name wrote:

Nice stem christies from Herr Kuwall...

Indeed. I did my L1 recently with his grandson.
snow report
Whether it's because of my ability and/or the wider ski's or because I am skiing with my children mostly I don't fall too often and it's been a while since I had a decent ski search. That said, I've had binding problems in the past which meant a ski pinging off much easier than it should (without a proper fall), my abilities weren't always so good and light blue 1m kids skis can be a bug-ger to find. Plus one time doing a major search is enough for a lot us. They (as in some sort of finding aid) aren't a necessity by any means. But if they were something proven in the field that didn't cost a great deal - I would be very interested.
latest report
How about sticking on a bluetooth key finder - Tile or similar - that works off a phone?
have never tried them myself but could be an option...
snow conditions
Like one of these: https://www.thetileapp.com

I think Masque posted something about it a while back in Apres but I can't find it now Wink
latest report
The guys from powunity tried many alternatives with different "key finders" etc. but the signal strenght in the snow is so apparentely so bad, that they decided to go for an audio solution.
snow report
Powder tracers. After the 2nd fall, clearly a bad day, just leave them trailing in the snow for the next one!
Found 2 chaps who had spent a day and a half looking for a lost ski.
snow report
You could stick Recco devices to your skis and. if you lose one, try to find a friendly pisteur.
snow conditions
http://powunity.com/ - there is even anti-theft functionality built into them - for times you are in the Mooserwirt after dark.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, there's a problem I didn't know I had. They are usually prodding me somewhere tender once I've stopped moving. I did once lose one between two blue pistes in a pile left by a piste basher that was deeper than I'd expected. A bit embarrassing stood there in my backpack and helmet, and one ski.
snow conditions
I've recently received the updated version of ski tracker https://powunity.com/ It's louder and works without any issues. I've finally had a chance to test it out and I can recommend it to you guys. I just hope some snow comes to Austria soon.. Smile
snow conditions
Do you only lose skis if they come loose?
snow conditions
Powder traces...so long as you're not jumping on and off chairlifts.
Some years ago a group of us staying in Val Thorens went off piste with a very experienced ESF guide. In one of the Meribel off piste areas he, unbelievably, lost a ski. Our group of about 5 looked for over half an hour, but with no joy.
In the end he shrugged his shoulders Gallic style, and he skied all the way back to VT on one ski...I don't know how far, but a very long way.
This was in December, he said someone would find his ski and return it to him when the snow melted!!
...and the moral of the story....even the best can lose skis. Powder trails are well worth the pain of putting on, despite what your "macho" mates may say. Very Happy
latest report
Sprung B&D leashes for me. Fiddly and a PITA but worth it in powder I reckon.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy