Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis on long haul flights

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking to go to Canada from London, and want to go skiing. Ski carriage seems to be even more complicated than going to Europe. Does anyone have any experience taking skis long haul, particularly the costing?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowyjim, yes, don't think its really complicated. most if not all long haul carriers take skis and boots at the cost of an extra piece of hold luggage, or you can substitute your normal hold luggage for a ski and boot bag. Neither must usually weigh more than 23kg, allowing you to put other gear in as well.

Who are you flying with ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1. Pick an airline that'll take your ski bag as your sole piece of checked luggage at no extra cost (agree it can be complicated - had to email Swiss about 5 times to get actual confirmation of that rather than their very ambiguous standard spiel when I flew to Kashmir last season).

2. Buy a Dakine Fall Line Double ski bag, chuck all your stuff apart from hand luggage necessities into it.

3. Enjoy your flight!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@clarky999, did SWISS do long haul skis for no extra charge? Even on another carrier eg Air Canada (swiss) selling tickets on this route
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Should be fine. I flew from Boston on BA with an actual double sink lol.

Yes really, a double swanstone bathroom sink!

No questions asked (apart from some wee wee take) and no fees etc. I also had a large suitcase as well.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowsartre wrote:
@clarky999, did SWISS do long haul skis for no extra charge? Even on another carrier eg Air Canada (swiss) selling tickets on this route

Yep - wasn't Swiss all the way through (Air India maybe? Can't remember), but they were fine.

What they weren't fine with was correctly packed airbag canisters (my Mammut one and my mates ABS one) in hold luggage. We both had them confiscated, despite confirming at check in and packing them with print outs of the rules with relevant clauses highlighted.

When we got them back upon returning to Zurich, the lost and found/confiscated stuff depot guy just said "yep, Swiss just don't like taking them."

Considering they fly a lot of skiers and come from a ski nation, I thought that was pretty outrageous.

#SwissAirSuckBalls
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Our tour op holiday this season flying to Denver on BA includes free ski carriage.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did Edinburgh to Calgary via Heathrow a few years ago- British Airways then Air Canada- took one hold bag and one double ski bag between the two of us at no extra cost. Also you can take loads more hand luggage than on European flights so you can put loads of clothes or ski boots in that.

Air Canada prefer you use a hard ski case- apparently you can take a soft one and have to sign a disclaimer in case of damage

Enjoy
Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gatwick to Calgary with AirTransat on Wednesdays and Saturdays ... I'll have to look up how much it cost me but I got away with 30kg in the ski bag.
Ooops ... I think it dosent do those days anymore Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DrLawn, stopped that route last season.

I flew Air Canada last season. You could take one ski bag free which counted as your checked luggage. I decided to take a case as well. You couldn't pay for the bag in advance, but could 'book the space' for the ski bag, which I did. I turned up at the desk with bags in hand and said one bag, one ski bag all as booked and arranged. The lady on the desk checked the bags in and proclaimed that ski bags are counted as checked luggage, so didn't charge me, Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rogg
The lady on the desk checked the bags in and proclaimed that ski bags are counted as checked luggage, so didn't charge me

Nice one!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Flying 3 flights booked with Lufthansa in one go (though operated by 3 different airlines) and they were fine with using ski bag in place of suitcase, just had to ring after booking to let them know
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AC: I've never seen anyone else other than me with a hard snowboard case. I use that because I travel a lot. They can't waiver you out of your rights anyway - if they damage your gear, it's still their problem. Just saying. But yeah, there's no issue with carrying gear anywhere, on any proper airline I've ever flown with. I don't even bother checking/ worrying about it. It's not an issue.

I would not put "pool" your allowance if the aggregate is more than 23Kgs in a single unit though, you would have problems checking that in some places, irrespective of baggage handler limits.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Advice from the Air Canada website here - http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/sports_equip.html#skis - Does say that Ski/Board carriage is FOC on Flights from Europe
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rent it is easier !
snow conditions
ClubCanadian, its only free if that's your only piece of checked baggage.
ski holidays
@@ClubCanadian, @Bones, I fear Bones is correct. I phoned air Canada yesterday as have booked flights to Vancouver. They were very clear that you can carry skis but will be charged as extra bag if you check anything else. The price is 100CD (£50) each way. Makes the green box on their website extremely misleading. Very tricky to fly long haul with just carry on!

@rogg, will certainly give that a go, chapeau!

Plan b is to get a double ski bag and only pay for one extra bag as flying with a mate and his skis too - guess the small print will forbid that too Puzzled
ski holidays
Quote:

Plan b is to get a double ski bag and only pay for one extra bag as flying with a mate and his skis too - guess the small print will forbid that too

So long as it comes in under weight you should be ok. We have done it before with AC and plenty of times flying to the USA Madeye-Smiley But you can only add one boot bag so the other pair go in hold luggage.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy