Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips to pass on

Poster: A snowHead
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

Your poles are 5cm too long. 10cm if you want to ski bumps well.

+1
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Dave of the Marmottes,

Ah .. so it was then you saw my poles were too long !
I feel better now .... they woz not MY poles ... Swiss Tim lent me that pair ...

BuT do think my own poles are too long anyway... I got them as a Christmas present in 1995 .. and skiing has changed a lot since then ...
The skis have shrunk from 195cm down to a piddly 168cm ...
I've shrunk as well .. so its time to take those 5cm off the poles.

We've been talking a lot about things people tell us to do ...
But in reality ... you cant tell people how to ski .. in the end we have to suss it out for ourselves and I believe that the memory is right back in the muscles
and we only make things more complicated by trying to remember which ski to put the weight on or of or back or forward etc.

But there are things we can do to try and improve our stance ...
But its already 3 minutes into happy hour so I'm off down the pub.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DrLawn wrote:
I've shrunk as well .. so its time to take those 5cm off the poles.

You may have shrunk but I bet you are standing higher off the snow than you were in 1995, skis have thicker plates on them and boots have raised heels. Try measuring the pole length when you are wearing all your kit.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes .. I only have to look at a few photos ... I can see the poles are too long, so I'll sacrifice the poles.
But onto the next thing ..."the stance"

I think my stance is good ... but I know its only OK at best.
I think you can learn a lot by watching people go down the short slope in the fridge at Hemmel,
I see most people just go down with their arms down by their sides, standing directly upright feeling that they are looking cool.
But its just dull.

Then on occasions you see some skiers with real talent, and I feel inspired.

I'm wittering on here.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rjs, I am not convinced binding plates (if present) are 5cm thick Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dave of the Marmottes curious as to why you think using 10cm shorter poles make you ski bumps better? Why should you go down 5cm for general skiing?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We could as an alternative have one pole 10cm longer than the other and ski in the trough to the left with short pole planted ...
and to the right on the hump using the longer pole.

No seriously ...
When I was much younger you found the correct length of pole by holding them upside down under the baskets with the handle on the ground ...
then make sure your wrist to elbow was about horizontal.

But we don't seem to use the poles anything like we used to since these "lift things" have been invented.
And they only become useful for poking french school children to the back of the lift line.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
But what is the correct length for poles now?

I suppose what feels about right?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DrLawn wrote:
When I was much younger you found the correct length of pole by holding them upside down under the baskets with the handle on the ground ...
then make sure your wrist to elbow was about horizontal.

That will still be the way to measure them, I'm just suggesting that you do it when wearing boots and skis.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski with 20euro notes down the front of your boots - I guarantee you wont lean back Happy
When in moguls or bumpy stuff - imagine you are skiing inside a concrete half-pipe - your head and upper body will remain stable(don't want to bang your head off the "roof") as your knees flex and work your skis.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi @c44rver, .

Thanks for that tip ... I thought the half pipe didn't have a roof .. still a good tip though!

I'll use €50 notes though... and I'll tuck them in my socks!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rjs, Thats the length they are already... But they are for the chop anyway.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The one thing that will fix most of the issues you may have when skiing is the position of your arms/hand. i.e. in front of you, minimal movement to plant the poles, but otherwise in front of you at all times. The moment you drop a hand or it is behind you your whole posture and weight balance changes for the worse. If you have to focus on one thing and one thing only this would be in IMHO.

Fine tuning tips:

- rotate your wrists gently upwards/outside - this will help relax your arms
- if you ski with a backpack put it down the second you stopped (especially valuable if you are doing lots of off-piste or touring)
- if you are hot take a layer off, if you are cold put one on. Even if you have to do it 75 times a day
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi @irbis,
I'm sure your right ... hands out in front of you ...
as a Japanese instructor called Mai in Lake Lousie explained ..

"Upper Body Concrete...
Lower Body Yelley Fish..."
Puke in Buckets!

I had another good tip in Revelstoke from coach ..
He suggested to use the same stance as we use to skate on our skis across a flat bit ..
but keep the same skating stance going down hill.
It felt good and was easy to keep in your head.

I got told off for years ago for carrying a rucksak, so I dont do that anymore, and I don't miss carrying around the whole famillies gloves, spare hats, goggles. drinks etc.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't look at the place where the next turn is; look at the place where you're going to turn after that one.
snow conditions
@Mosha Marc,
if your anything like me, the most daunting moment is when you come down to a ledge and below is a steep bit.
Probably heavily moguled, perhaps even icy.

The first 10 metres are always the steepest, then further down you can see the terrain gets much easier and the moguls not so pronounced.

But you look down there and the longer you look the more you quiver.

You don't really want to .. you look around for a shallower route.
Other skiers are slithering about down there below you, all the style and good posture is out the window.

Eventualy you have to push off, full of trepidation, will I manage to make the first turn?
Yes you do. and then your moving and with each turn under your belt you confidence builds and as you get down you feel positive, and happy you've not made a boll@x of it.

On the other hand the opposite often happens, and it can be a nightmare. You fall once, and nothing works quite right after that.
Your toes scrunch up ( as Horizon mentions) and its just miserable.

You have to park the problem, press reset, spread your toes and hope the sun comes out.
latest report
@DrLawn, that last post was very good Smile

Makes me think of a couple of tips....

Don't stop...if you know you are coming to a steep bit, just keep skiing over the ledge, keep skiing. DO NOT stop and ponder it!!

second...looking and thinking about where to turn...DON'T... just keep the skis turning in a rhythm, DO NOT go shopping for a turn!
snow conditions
@DrLawn,
Quote:

@Mosha Marc,
if your anything like me, the most daunting moment is when you come down to a ledge and below is a steep bit.
Probably heavily moguled, perhaps even icy.

The first 10 metres are always the steepest, then further down you can see the terrain gets much easier and the moguls not so pronounced.

But you look down there and the longer you look the more you quiver.

You don't really want to .. you look around for a shallower route.
Other skiers are slithering about down there below you, all the style and good posture is out the window.

Eventualy you have to push off, full of trepidation, will I manage to make the first turn?
Yes you do. and then your moving and with each turn under your belt you confidence builds and as you get down you feel positive, and happy you've not made a boll@x of it.

On the other hand the opposite often happens, and it can be a nightmare. You fall once, and nothing works quite right after that.
Your toes scrunch up ( as Horizon mentions) and its just miserable.

You have to park the problem, press reset, spread your toes and hope the sun comes out.

Sounds just like me starting the Tunnel at ADH Sad
latest report
@sarah & @welshskier
Thanks .. I'm glad you liked it.
Sarah your dead right of course ... you usually find these off the down the side of a cat track or mountain road.
And the best and most exhilarating way is just to belt down the road and just take off over the cliff and sort out the landing when it comes.

I used to do that ... but my bottle aint there anymore.

But I can re live the dreams in my memories.
snow report
Just 'relax'. . .
snow report
Perty wrote:
. He just suggested consciously standing on or pressuring the uphill ski (I pull it a bit back under me) on a turn

Not having seen you ski, or knowing what part of the turn you pressure your uphill ski, but as a "generic tip" this is very wrong!
snow report
Then, @DrLawn, your poles aren't too long. Too short and they can induce bending forward from the hips. Not a good thing.
ski holidays
@Perty, going further than @rob@rar, i would say that internet chat 'tips' would almost certainly not improve 'YOUR' skiing. We're all individuals with single or multiple impediments that need a skilled eye, a toolset of drills and intelligent timely communication to solve / improve.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 3-10-15 16:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@kitenski, maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But I do find it worked for me and it did for Mr P. Starts the turn nice and early and keeps the outside ski on edge though the turn. This was from a very experienced instructor. So....it improved my stance...it depends where your body weight is..it made me ski better. That's the main thing.
snow conditions
@Perty, standing on the uphill ski to iniate a turn is perfectly fine IMO. Standing/pressing through my foot arch directly over center of ski equals the easiest of turn iniations for me. wink
latest report
Quote:

i would say that internet chat 'tips' would almost certainly not improve 'YOUR' skiing. We're all individuals with single or multiple impediments that need a skilled eye, a toolset of drills and intelligent timely communication to solve / improve.

Not quite sure what you meant by 'YOUR' - was that specifically directed at Perty? But in general, I've known lots of people's skiing to benefit from a quick tip or new way of thinking about something (myself included). I wouldn't suggest it's a total substitute for professional instruction of course! I've also benefitted significantly from watching and copying and from reading books - none of these come with the attributes you say are essential.
ski holidays
Not to mention simple experimentation and trial and error! I mentioned in another thread that I had been reading "Ultimate Skiing" - some of the subtle/expert techniques he talks about I realise I use and no one taught them to me - I just learned them through experimentation - if something feels good and appears to work do more of it.
latest report
jedster wrote:
I had been reading "Ultimate Skiing"
That's my favourite technical reference. Great book.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rhythm, and if that means earbuds in with a good tune then try them. I found this eliminated the staight bits and got me into the constant turn turn turn flow.
ski holidays
Lose the Drill, Keep the Skill
Too many folk master the drill but then revert straight back to their former style. It's important to blend the skill back into your "normal" skiing
snow conditions
@jedster, i mean, 'YOUR' to mean every individual skier and i'm referring to Internet chat 'Tips'. I accept that ordinary skiers can pass on a tip that they have come to know or have an insight into why another skier is having problems ONCE they have seen them ski. I know from myself that what i think i'm doing or not doing can be fairly wrong and the amount of what i'm doing from the feel of it, is also is hard to judge. If i see myself on video, then i can self analyse / diagnose but i don't know all the drills to correct my failings! Now i often ask BASI 1,2,3 and 4's (all depending) err, whats up and i get a suggestion. Next run i can always feel a difference. Sometimes it can be very subtle, but the feeling can be very very different. I put a high value on 'their' trained eye as generalisations for better skiing are not particular nor maybe pertinate to my or 'your' skiing problems in order of importance. You could have 1, 2 or multiple aspects of 'your' skiing that need addressing in a particular order and each could be by a little or large amount. I really don't think Internet Chat Tips will do any good at all. Sure, post video up and let good hearted folk offer some suggestions and best of all is to take some instruction from a trusted source to solve the problem.
Read 'Ultimate Skiing' - great book i'll agree - now passed it on to a staggering prospect. Personal favourite though is 'Total Skiing' It's a gem for functional movement and ski fitness not to be missed, although, it's for the most serious dedicated skiers - not really a Christmas stocking filler! Both were suggested by Rob IOS and i'm very thankful for the recommendation (through this website).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy