Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips to pass on

Poster: A snowHead
I’m sure we all want to ski better every time we go off on our hols, and over the years we have had so much advice from ..
Instructors
Ski Buddies
Ski Gurus
Your mates
Mum & Dad

But what, if any of these “Bend Zee Neez!” advice and tips have really helped?
Or do you have any little gems to pass on?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DrLawn, ankles
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well said ... you've obviously seen my cock eyed stance.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stand on your skis at the start of the turn.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob@rar, I aim, not always successfully, still to be standing on them at the end of the turn. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hurtle, Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK ... we've got the ankles covered anything else?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski as if your bindings are broken i.e. they are just barely holding your boots - you have to be really centered and standing on the skis, as if there was too much pressure on toe or heel they'd fly off.

That got me out of the back seat better than anything else, and I still think about it at the start of every day to get my balance right.

And it's from the fantastic Gavin Crosby!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Your poles are 5cm too long. 10cm if you want to ski bumps well.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanx Fixx, a proper answer!
I'll put that one on my list.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dave of the Marmottes... I thought they were ... when did you notice that?
So far then .. I've got that left ankle sorted out.
undo the binding even lower...
circumcise my ski poles..
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For correct hip position- "less sh*tting, more f**king". Got that from chalet colleagues 10 years ago...When I think that, I find I make a subtle adjustment-bringing hips forward. Helps avoid the classic beginner /early intermediate "toilet seat" position. Even though I like to think I would now call myself advanced/early expert skier it still works.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DrLawn wrote:

If you do that you'll have Frosty coming after you Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perty wrote:
For correct hip position- "less sh*tting, more f**king". Got that from chalet colleagues 10 years ago...When I think that, I find I make a subtle adjustment-bringing hips forward. Helps avoid the classic beginner /early intermediate "toilet seat" position. Even though I like to think I would now call myself advanced/early expert skier it still works.

Thats brilliant Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DrLawn wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes... I thought they were ... when did you notice that?
So far then .. I've got that left ankle sorted out.
undo the binding even lower...

Well remember that very moist grey out powder day on the last day....
No it's generic advice that applies to most skiers.
snow report
Allow a more relaxed tall stance mid turn... it is not necessary to emulate a bloody slalom racer and knacker your thighs continuously.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, You said 'moist'!!! Nightmoist will be after you Shocked wink Laughing
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
Allow a more relaxed tall stance mid turn... it is not necessary to emulate a bloody slalom racer and knacker your thighs continuously.

This.

Makes for a more enjoyable day.
latest report
Head up.
ski holidays
right foot, right boot, left foot, left boot.
snow report
Get yourself a lesson, not a "tip" off the internet Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Get big comfy boots, you are meant to be on holiday.
snow conditions
A Canadian ski guide gave me his 3 rules of skiing:
1. Speed is your friend
2. Turning is a sign of weakness
3. Nobody gets hurt in the air...
ski holidays
1. In general, every movement feels bigger than it really is, you need to exaggerate
- you think you are angulating a lot, you can go further
- you think you are compressing a lot on the bumps, do it more

2. In powder - be patient, don't rush, let the skis come round, don't force them - when you flex, wait a fraction longer than you think you need before extending

3. In powder - DO NOT lean back, it only looks like good skiers do that because the skis are planning

4. Big carved turns - find the courage to let your body fall down the hill at the transition
latest report
jedster wrote:
.. the skis are planning

My skis do that, but they never tell me about it Sad
snow conditions
Learn to tele
snow report
in difficult conditions, curl up your toes instead of "gripping" the boot sole - it will relax your feet and reduce pain.
ski holidays
Feel.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's another one which works in "mixed terrain" and off piste- advice from owner of Powder Mountain cat skiing near Whistler-tighten your tummy muscles. Dunno why...but somehow it makes the rest of you relax and more able to absorb the bumps and ice and variations in terrain. Works for me anyway.
Another snippet from an excellent guide-Gianni Carbone (much mentioned here as a guide to hunt out in Courmayeur) for off piste in powder : so many instructors talk about even pressure, but it's a hard thing to actually do and know that you are doing it. He just suggested consciously standing on or pressuring the uphill ski (I pull it a bit back under me) on a turn, especially the end-for me that has been a bit of a lightbulb moment. It probably in fact makes me even out the pressure, even if it doesn't sound like that is what I am trying to do.
And finally...from Lynn Stainbrook-a lovely American instructor based in Flaine- for turn initiation, pull uphill foot back slightly- which has the effect of starting to pressure the inside edge of the uphill ski and grip around the turn.

Sometimes I think my brain just needs to be told to do the mirror image of the usual mantras - so rather than absorbing bumps, I am better at conceptualising pushing the tips of my skis down into the troughs between them. Similarly-pulling my feet back under me is much easier to do than putting my body weight over parts of the ski.
ski holidays
Perty wrote:
Sometimes I think my brain just needs to be told to do the mirror image of the usual mantras - so rather than absorbing bumps, I am better at conceptualising pushing the tips of my skis down into the troughs between them. Similarly-pulling my feet back under me is much easier to do than putting my body weight over parts of the ski.

Me too! My 'favourite'/most hated thing from instructors is when they say "Lift the inside ski"!

When they say that - I'm automatically thinking of the action my inside leg has to do, so all my focus is there, and then the pressure quickly follows - so it's impossible to do the drill.

Once I realised this I just started ignoring any instructor that said it - I just remind myself that the pressure is on the outside ski anyway, and focus on that leg. Then it doesn't matter where the inside leg/ski etc is - so I might as well wave it about in the air, doesn't make any difference. Easy peasy. And gets to the point of what the instructor actually wanted me to do (demonstrate the pressure is on the outside ski), even though they didn't actually say that's what they wanted.
ski holidays
fixx wrote:

Me too! My 'favourite'/most hated thing from instructors is when they say "Lift the inside ski"!

Me too. I hate hate hate that 1 footed stuff. I understand why they do it because its a way to stop you cheating and its easy for them to observe but for me it takes the focus to completely the wrong place. And for those of us even more disadvantaged with simple male brains that only process in series not parallel then its almost impossible to catch up.

I much prefer "feel" even if it is harder for thje instructor to then observe. After all that one word is what skiing is all about.
ski holidays
fixx wrote:

Me too. I hate hate hate that 1 footed stuff. I understand why they do it because its a way to stop you cheating and its easy for them to observe but for me it takes the focus to completely the wrong place. And for those of us even more disadvantaged with simple male brains that only process in series not parallel then its almost impossible to catch up.

I much prefer "feel" even if it is harder for thje instructor to then observe. After all that one word is what skiing is all about.
ski holidays
I have yet to find any brain and body hypnotising tip to make me keep my hands in front and stop excessive movement . rolling eyes if anyone has something other new on that one, pleeease let me know. I have tried thinking of a tray of drinks, a steering wheel, the dreaded skiing with the poles held out horizontally in front, skiing with the poles held in the middle on either side vertically, making a conscious effort to see my hands and arms are visible at all times. Nothing, nowt, b*gger all has yet to trick mind and body to do what I know I should be doing. Anyone have a magic wand?
ski holidays
How do you feel about punching (imaginary) dwarves in the face? Or real ones if you can persuade them.
ski holidays
@Perty, how about getting rid of your poles for a while...
latest report
Perty wrote:
I have yet to find any brain and body hypnotising tip to make me keep my hands in front and stop excessive movement .
Is the movement just your arms or your entire upper body? Do you swing your shoulders around when starting the turn, or is it just the case of flapping your arms around a bit?
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
@Perty, how about getting rid of your poles for a while...

Recommend! This definitely helped me alot....less to think about.
snow report
Pole planting does a lot to pull my skiing back in shape. Reaching forward to plant makes you stand up to start the turn, the plant commits you to the turn and the repetition on the other side for the next turn stuarts to get the up-down flowing.

Exaggeration as jedster said is also a good one. Amazing to see a video of your skiing after you think you've been doing almost comic exaggurations, only to see zero movement!
snow report
@skimottaret, @rob@rar, I think my arms are fine on straightforward slopes. They tend to fling about a bit more off piste, and include my shoulders, though to be fair, it's hard to know exactly what is going on unless I have an out of body experience. Good news however-am doing a 4 week all terrain performance course in Val D'Isere in Jan, so I reckon someone will fix me!

As a rule, I hate drills. They only work if you are told WHY the drill helps. So often, especially, in rubbish lessons by ESF instructors back in the 90s you were made to do the drill without being helped to understand why. As I wrote in post the other day, when I read up on ski technique courtesy of an Ali Ross video and book, and understood why and what makes a ski turn (so why sitting back is a bad idea) I could have screamed...why had no one told me this before! How much money had I spent attending ski school blundering about the mountains not getting it because no one explained the physics of skiing.
ski holidays
@Perty, I'm sure that course will make a big difference. The book I use as my technical reference is Ron LeMaster's Ultimate Skiing. Excellent if you want a clear understanding of the physics and biomechanics of skiing (although it's not a "how to be a better skier" kind of book).

Drills can be a very powerful way of changing your skiing, but it needs to be the right drill, and the right time, addressing the right things. It's rare that a single drill works for all skiers, so you need to understand what the skier is trying to achieve and make sure the drill is addressing that. Incidentally, that's the reason I think "tips" of the kind addressed in this thread are not especially helpful.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy