Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2015/16 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
The view today (Tignes Tourist Office)

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mountainaddict, Yip - deal on parking is the one thing that's separate from the Prop's scheme. You get the form from the Parking Office and it was $450 for the season last year. As ever you need to take every bito f paper you own - and especially a current Taxe Fonciere. As for the passes for the pool etc - you get those independently of the season pass. If you get to 16 weeks and have at least a 2 pillow rating (not difficult) you also get 2 6 day Espace Killy Passes and a weeks parking for free to give away or use yourself.

PS Weeks in the summer still count towards your tally.

Looks great today - I am sure it will go but with the snow falling on the glacier they may soon be able to open Vanoise.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is there any difference getting an EK pass from Val or Tignes? Val seems to want 900 euro and Tignes 1026 euros. Puzzled I can see that the Val prices are going up at the end of the month but can't find any information about Tignes.
edit: Looks like the first lift you take needs to be in the resort that sold you the pass, but that's the only difference I can find.

My group of 3 (or 4...) is split between an apartment in Brevière for £6000 or Claret for £9000 for January to April. Talk me out of one or the other.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@whiteout, AIUI the first time you pass through the gate you have to be in the resort you bought the pass from. As to the prices above - Val seem to be offering an early bird discount. Although both Companies are owned by Compagnie des Alpes (Val joined the fold in 2007) they act independently. For instance I don't think the good folk who own a pad in Val get the discount that we do in Tignes (up to 50%). In Tignes most season passes go to owners or workers (who get an even better discount) so I suspect there is little need to 'get the money in early'.

As to which village - Les Brevieres is on the edge of the whole area but as it is at 1550m on a north facing slope then it is snowsure well into April, it is a proper Alpine village and some nice chalets have been built. But nightlife is limited to 2 or 3 bars and the 'Underground' for late night drinking. There are 5 or 6 good restaurants. After the lifts close you will be reliant on a car or taxi to get to the other villages as the Navettes don't go down there. On the other hand Val Claret is busy but a concrete jungle with a large number of pubs bars and restaurants and is at the heart of the resort. The Navettes to Le Lac and Lavachet run all night. So if you are a bunch of over 35s who like a gentle beer ad a village atmosphere - Brev. If you are younger and want to party/have a wide variety of apres to choose from Val Claret.

There is tree lined skiing down to Brev which can be good in poor vis but even down there if it has been blowing a gale the lift opening can be delayed.

If you have any other criteria (other than the 3000 drinking vouchers!) just ask Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers @chocksaway. We're under 35s but find the village atmosphere much more appealing. The tree skiing is a big draw, nightlife isn't, and to be honest we're more concerned about having a decent grocer accessible since we won't have a car.

What would be the earliest possible time to get to Le Lac in time for morning tuition? Our focus is on skills improvement so I expect at least a few weeks potentially 'commuting' up the mountain. I'm still sorting through where the various meeting points are, but getting to Claret in any sort of reasonable time looks right out.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@whiteout, There is a small 'superette' in Brev - similar to the ones in Le Lac and Val Claret. It will not be cheap - there is a bit more competition in Le Lac so you might have to ski with a rucksack the odd day. But it may be worth taking a service bus down to Bourg now and again to do a 'big shop' where there is a Lidl. A day return is cheaper than a weekly return. Mid week you could also take a cab but that would be a monster shop to get your money back. There is always the opportunity of hitching down to Bourg from the end of the road as well (look out for a black Audi - it might even be me that picks you up!).

Unfortunately, I don't have a timetable for the lifts in the UK but you won't be able to get to Le Lac until 0930 ish as you have to take the Gondola out of Brev and then the slow Marais chair and then ski down. Or you can take the slow lift out of Brev to Boisse and get the navette the rest of the way which - if it works out may get you into the centre of Le Lac a bit earlier. Val Claret would be another 7 mins up the Tov gondy and down Piste Henri. My best advice would be to book afternoon lessons if you can, especially in Jan as one or two of the routes back to Brev have to be blasted if there has been much snow so once a fortnight or so the Sache Gondola from Brev is late opening. Or if you are doing a private group tell the instructor to meet you in Brev (some will do it).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
More snow on top this morning! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chocksaway wrote:
More snow on top this morning! Very Happy Very Happy

Is this a good amount to be falling at this time of year?
Looks like the temperature is staying low as well so hopefully the snow line will start dropping as we head further into October. Really hope its a better start than last season Skullie
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Timg60, reasonably decent conditions on the glacier for the terrain that's open, apparently, but it's too early to say whether this will have any implications for the start of the main season. I skied the Tignes glacier in the first week of November last year and the conditions were perfect, probably as good as I've known in 10+ years of pre-season skiing there. And we know how good the start to the main season was...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
From the ice sculpture on the pole attached to the lower station of the cable car which was still there at 1630, I suspect the last lot of snow was wet and arrived at high speed. Also check out the crevasse across Leisse (the black down the side of the glacier on the 1630 picture - bit more snow required before that piste opens!

I will only get excited about snow below the glacier when November arrives as any snow on grass is likely to get washed away before then - but here's hoping! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway, just read what you posted about season passes. Paradiski is also owned by CDA. When questions about special owners discounts were asked a while ago they said that due to a new law in France all customers that apply before a set date should be offered the same discounted season pass whether you are an owner or not. If this is correct then anyone applying early for a season ski pass in Tignes should also get the same as the owners discount whether you pay local tax or not. A workers pass and a full time resident paying income tax is different.

I just spoke to Val office and they confirmed what I have posted above to be correct. Hence the early discounted pass they offer is the same as the owners in Val pay and also we have the same system in Paradiski. All season pass holders in Paradiski get the extra free days again in other CDA resorts in this area. Also owners that rent out their property can get points towards ski passes which gives them extra discount, but this only applies to people that rent out the property, not those that only use it for themselves.

I tried to get a comment from Tignes, but they were not keen to answer my question on the phone. Think they might be bending the local rules. I get my pass down here, but anyone looking to get a season pass in Tignes should call them and try and get the full discount. Please do share here how you get on.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mmmmm, I think the owners discounts may be subsidised by Tignes Development as it depends on the occupation of the pad as to what discount you get. As ever everything in France is labyrinthine - maybe this is why there is a different website for owners passes this year and my login on the main site has been invalidated. Nowt's simple!

I wonder if the same law can be applied to French rail tickets where government employees travel at huge discounts??
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nice looking webcams snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks very wet in the village this morning but fresh snow on top of Toviere.

Can't see much on the glacier webcam.......... cloud blocking the view. Temperature forecasts for the glacier over the next few days range from -5c to -12c so they should be getting more snow.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
More on season pass. I tried the gambit of discussing the difference in price between the Val and Tignes EK price at the moment. STGM weren't budging on price. It seemed the source of some irritation. So I don't think I was the first one to ask!
snow conditions
Looks like they had the cannons runny on the Double M last night. Must be pretty confident of getting it open soonish.
snow report
It probably doesn't help but my owners pass was €600 - bought and paid for!
ski holidays
View at the top of the funicular yesterday. More snow forecast this week. Happy

ski holidays
Will be booking the PSB tomorrow if I get time. Staying one week in Val with friends (13/12-20/12). Going to stay out from opening to first weekend of 2016. Would prefer the other weeks in Tignes. So any local places to stay that won't break the bank? No transport needed.
snow report
@Mark1863, Tignes Chalet Company? www.thetigneschaletcompany.com

Their Lavachet Lodge might fit the bill.
latest report
@GeorgeVII,
Many thanks will investigate
snow report
All this reading of discounts for owners in the Espace Killy makes me realise what g1ts they are in the 3 Valleys, by comparison. Discounts for owners? What discounts!? Mad
snow conditions
@rob@rar, oooooooooooo!!!!!

They appear to have updated all the webcams now. Solaise is always switched off though!
latest report
Going to drive up to Tignes on Sunday. Do I bother to chuck the winter tires on already? hmm.
ski holidays
That pesky split Jetstream seems to be working the early season magic, not too long before I might start getting excited.
@Bergmeister, And just to rub it in, if the pad is used for 16 weeks they give you 2 6 day EK passes and a 7 day parking ticket. And that's in addition to the pool, Wellness and gym tickets that come gratis (one for each bed you have. The owners scheme started about 10 years ago to encourage ownership and improvement, funnily enough La Plagnes is launching a similar one!
latest report
Looked glorious up there today - looks like it will be sunny until the weekend. Lots of work around the Vanoise - hopefully it my be opening soon
snow conditions
After (ahem only) 8 years of ownership (and 2 visits to the owners 'hut' that used to be be near the Aeroski - it was closed....) - we are finally getting our @r $€s into gear over this pillow rating owners lark chocksaway! Thanks for spurring us on with your postings re the potential benefits.

We're not there until January but have now been inspected at long last. Our small place is bog standard basic but done out quite nicely - and we're advised we need to do a couple of jobs to get to 2 pillows:
- Sand and varnish 'drawer' of pull out sofa bed.
- Stick sign on bunks re unsuitability for infants.
- Fix shower rail.

We should be able to manage that - so our next Q's are:
- Would our level of benefits kick in immediately based on last winter's rental weeks?
- Do you get benefits for less than 16 weeks' rental ? (We've never tried to get summer rentals and had 15 wks last winter).
- Is there discount on lift passes other than season passes?

Apologies if you've answered any of the above previously - just had a quick skim through the thread and didn't spot anything....

Cheers!
ski holidays
As I understand it:

1. No - free skipasses/owners rate passes only come in the second year but you will get Lagon/Wellness/GymIce Rink passes immediately.
2. Yes - but 16 weeks is the key for 50% discount for you and Mrs MA and the MAlettes, 6-15 weeks = 40%. Free passes only cone with 16 weeks. Don't forget your weeks count as well - providing you get to the office.
3. No.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Look like high pressure and highish temps until the weekend- so should be some great weather but next week looks really unsettled and the 0 deg isotherm is dropping towards the village so expect snow mot of the way down to Val Claret (usual weather elves excuses apply ) wink .

We might, just might need the poubellemeter for a while (though it is unlikely to last in the village)
snow report
Thanks chocksaway - much obliged Smile
snow report
Interesting to see so much snow fencing. Is that new this year ?
http://www.bergfex.com/val-disere/webcams/c4918/
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:

We might, just might need the poubellemeter for a while (though it is unlikely to last in the village)

Hi Chocksaway, Poubelle Monitor is arriving on Wednesday. We arrived to snow in the past 2 seasons. Packing is due to commence after golf and ski racing. Madeye-Smiley Very Happy
ski holidays
@Mrs W, Bon Voyage - see you a month today - yehaaaaaa. Weather looks v unsettled mid week.
latest report
@Peter S, Most if not all of that was there last year - but only the tops sticking out. The bit near the Fontaine Froide arrival may be new - but I may not have noticed it because of that big red gorilla sculpture.
snow conditions
Timg60 wrote:
Anyone one on the ground know whats happening in Le Lac. I know they are putting in a new magic carpet on the side of Trolles but what is the digger doing where the carpet used to be by the Gondola station?

Now we can see they're putting in a big, covered magic carpet there which will take you right to the top of the little slope instead of almost there.

I presume it'll still be super-slow though, for the kids & beginners.

http://www.tignes.co.uk/webcam.htm
snow conditions
Precipitation just about to start - just in time for the arrival of the 'Poubelle Monitor'. Hopefully he can report back when he has turned his interpipes on (after the first beer of the season obviously). After this band of wet/white stuff it seems like it's going to be settled for at least a week and quite warm and sunny by day so I can't see it lasting long much below the glacier - but should be some glorious weather up there and time for an early season tan Very Happy. However the Jetstream is doing some odd things - forming an oasis of calm around France - but the weather is not far away - so we could just hope a little bit....
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
Precipitation just about to start - just in time for the arrival of the 'Poubelle Monitor'

He's arrived Very Happy It's currently raining at resort level Sad but hopefully snowing up high Very Happy

Done the important jobs, unpacked the car, connected the sky box, sorted my lift pass, just need to scrape the 'race powder skis' for tomorrow Laughing
snow report
Its looks like sleet at the top of the Tov and very much like snow on the Motte at 1650 CET. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Snow at resort level Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
The clouds have just cleared. It looks stunning now the sun is up. Don't think it will take long to melt, but it's good to see.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy