Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2015/16 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@Timg60, Poubelle?? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stewart woodward wrote:
Tigski wrote:
Keep reeling it down to that poubelle Stewart ☺

The Poubelle has a covering Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
one of the seasonaires has a unique way of snow monitoring snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gaza, we stayed in the Gentiana a few years ago during the summer - very nice place - we just did b&b though so couldn't comment on the evening meals - if you can get a good deal with them then go for it
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timg60 wrote:
one of the seasonaires has a unique way of snow monitoring snowHead

The poubelle has 20cm of snow this morning Very Happy Winter is here.

The bad news is I am on my way to the airport Sad but Golf tomorrow Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tignes FB page reports 65 cms of fresh snow fell up on the glacier. But closed due to 150 kmh winds Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mornin' George!

Gaza - The Gentiana is directly opposite my gaff - run by a very professional brother and sister (even if Serge dresses a little idiosyncratically). The evening meals are very good quality according to a buddy who knows his stuff and stops there every year. Far better than most UK run chalets. Also has a nice wellness suite thingy and is ski out (providing you miss the gas tank Shocked ) and a 80m walk from the slopes/bus stop.

For newbies to this thread the Poubelle-ometer reflects actual snow fall in Le Lavachet as measured by the Poubelle Monitor - our very own Stewart Woodward. The chocksaway scale measures the intensity of current snowfall by reference to how far I can see out of my window (and equates roughly to a Canadian scale!), this will be in operation from Thursday, North Sea Ferries and French Border checks willing Very Happy Very Happy

Stewart - currently snowing in GOC - I suspect you may be on winter rules, or maybe even waterlogged fairways!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway,
Quote:

and is ski out (providing you miss the gas tank

That got me chuckling Chockers. Having taken said short-cut many a time Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stewart Woodward..... orange balls wink wink wink

Good to see some snow on the ground in the EK. (the other GOC)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lovely to see the EK transformed into a winter wonderland this morning! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

@Floss, as mentioned, the poubelle monitor is simply how much snow is on the dustbin lid outside!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@HoneyBunny,
Quote:

@Floss, as mentioned, the poubelle monitor is simply how much snow is on the dustbin lid outside!

Pedant moment...... Stewart (and sometimes his trusty assistant Mrs W.) is/are the poubelle monitor(s)

The Poubelle-Ometer is the large recycling receptacle across the road from their apartment.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway,
Currently otherside of the hill from GOC but can see the homeland ☺
French border controls are minimal so should be no long delays.
Will be back Thursday to hopefully more snow.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stewart woodward, Are you in proper GOC then? The one shielded by the Pennines from Yorkshire where the sun is currently beating down?

It's a bit chilly mind you. wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi George

We had a brief stop in Manchester airport - where Stewart noted it was (surprisingly) sunny.
Snow on the Pennines , Snow in Tignes - winter has arrived.

Will we see you and Claire in Tignes this winter?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Atomic_Mick, @chocksaway, thanks for the info about the Gentiana. I've booked it this evening. I had been more inclined towards going somewhere closer to GVA but I do like the EK and when I was discussing it over dinner last night with Oscar and he said "Well daddy, it is better to drive a bit further for the best skiing", I felt I had to do it. An old head on a 8 year old shoulders. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

@chocksaway, if you are around on the 11th or 12th December it would be good to say hello. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Now that I've booked I'm looking to sort out Lift Passes. I'd like to hope that we can get some skiing in on Friday afternoon but there doesn't appear to be an option to buy a 2.5 day lift pass. I'm also a bit confused as to what I need to buy as it seems to be insisting I buy a "Pass Tignes card" for €10. I know other areas charge for a smartcard but that is usually around €3.

So, if I buy an EK pass for 2 days and have it delivered to home can I pitch-up on Friday afternoon and have a half day added? When we are in Val d'Isere in March can I use my Tignes card and top it up with a 6 day EK pass even though our first days skiing will be in Val d'Isere? I ssem to recall reading on here that an EK pass bought in Tignes has to be used first in Tignes. Does that apply to every top-up or only the first?
ski holidays
@Mrs W, Hi Elaine. Glad they stopped the rain for your arrival. It's been slanting down for the last week or so. Not bothering with Xmas in Tignes this year. We don't think that Claire is quite up to a full weeks skiing yet though she is recovering very well. She spent all day at the Chillfactor doing her BASI refresher and is completely whacked now. So going to visit the in-laws in northern Portugal for a few days.

Probably be in Tignes for the 3rd or 4th week in January. Two weeks in Italy at Feb' halfterm where Claire will be teaching the kids the first week. Chilling out around Madonna di Campiglio the second week. After that we will hopefully get another week in Tignes Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
If anyone is looking for a good deal w/c 5th December check out Tignes Chalet Co currently £299 for catered chalet, incl airport transfer & deal on lift pass.
ski holidays
Gaza, You don't have to get a Pass Tignes, it is their loyalty card that will give you a discount off the cost of passes, the website just suggests what will be the cheapest option for the dates you specify.
snow report
@Gaza, Just shout from you balcony if you are on the roadside or send a PM!

Re passes - as rjs points out you get a discount on a 6 day (or more) pass if you have one. For a 2.5 day hol it is easiest to buy a half day pass (after 1245) then a 2 day pass the following morning - there will be no hassle with queues at this time of year at the office 80m from the Hotel. If you want to save a bit more on the half day pass ask for a Nouvelle Glisse which limits you to terrain served by the Palafour and Tichot lifts from Lac and VC - so all the area covered by Grattalu, Merles Grand Huit and Col de Ves which will be more than enough with an 8 year old - even if he is wiser than Yoda Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
There looked to be a piste basher on Double M this evening.
snow conditions
@rjs, thye seem to be forcing you to buy one:-

It doesn't give you the option for "No Card Required". If you select "Cancel" it just takes you back to the page. You have to select that you already have 2 cards before you can progress. If you do select that option it then asks you for the card number progressing through the purchase. I'll probably just wait until I get there but it does seem that if you wnat to buy online then you need to either purchase or already have, a Tignes card.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, will do. Very Happy

The Nouvelle Glisse pass seems to be a single price for adults and kids so it would only save me €7.50 as the junior half day is €30.00.

latest report
@rjs, Snow cannons are currently blasting out the white stuff too, so it looks like they are trying to get double M open. Plenty of tracks on there too. looks like a beautiful bluebird day on the webcams.
snow conditions
@joydivision, lets hope that the weather continues this way for when we come in 2 weeks time!! Plenty of bluebirds please Very Happy
Plus does anyone know how if you can get to Val D'isere from Tigne as a foot passenger?
ski holidays
@Floss, there's no lift link from Val D'isere to Tignes
ski holidays
@Floss, I'm not out there till the 10th Dec, so I'm hoping for a few more flurries in the meantime and the sun can come out on the 11th Smile
snow report
Keep us posted on Double M opening! My (sad I know Laughing) records show it open as follows in the past 6 winters:
- 2009: 6th Nov
- 2010: 11th
- 2011: 12th
- 2012: 4th
- 2013: 10th
- 2014: 22nd
- 2015: Another late one.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, Where is the double M?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Floss, Its the red run that comes down from below the glacier back to the bottom of the funicular.
snow report
@joydivision, Ahh one for me to steer clear of then wink Greens an blues for me please!
snow conditions
@Floss, Double M is fine, it's very wide.

We are headed out on Jan 9, staying in Val Claret. So excited, haven't been that way for 5 years.
latest report
Glorious day on the webcams today. Quite a bit of snow tomorrow. Next report will be from in resort as its the Grand Depart in 2 hours Very Happy Very Happy . So ferries, border checks, weather and customs willing next 'flying report' on Thursday AM - now where's that fingers crossed smiley Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
Glorious day on the webcams today. Quite a bit of snow tomorrow. Next report will be from in resort as its the Grand Depart in 2 hours Very Happy Very Happy . So ferries, border checks, weather and customs willing next 'flying report' on Thursday AM - now where's that fingers crossed smiley Very Happy Very Happy

Safe journey!! Looking forward to the updates x
latest report
@chocksaway, Have a safe trip and a great season. Looking forward to your flying reports.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
So ferries, border checks, weather and customs willing next 'flying report' on Thursday AM

Thursday report - It's Bl**dy Cold wink
ski holidays
Does anyone know if there's anywhere in Val Claret that's likely to have the Klitschko v Fury fight on Saturday night?
ski holidays
Nice and snowy again today. It looks like some hardy souls may be rigging the cables onto the Rosset lift pylons. Nice work if you can get it . Must be chuffin' freezing! Shocked
latest report
GeorgeVII, Today is a fair bit warmer than the last two days, everything shut due to high winds though.
snow conditions
@GeorgeVII, not very sunny on the wrong side of the pennies this morning. Looks like we could have some new snow back in Tines ☺
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
@GeorgeVII, not very sunny on the wrong side of the pennies this morning. Looks like we could have some new snow back in Tines ☺

But for how long @stewart woodward? The GFS is showing a distinct possibility of milder temps next week with uncertainty as to how long it will last. Hopefully not too long!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy