Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2015/16 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@balernoStu, Glad you had a great holiday.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
balernoStu The Rules are that you are supposed to stay the other side of the poles when skinning according to the local law. But nobody takes any notice and generally just inside the poles seem fine, as long as you are careful when crossing. I have had nothing but polite remarks when skinning, its almost a badge to become a local!

Just after I finished typing last night the pisteurs started blasting around the Lavachet Wall, Trolles and the 'Fingers' so there was lots of avalanche debris to look at and there will be more off piste as the snow gets heavier and wetter with the warm temperatures. Today was very windy and generalyy overcast with the odd bright interval. The snow was soft wherever we went, which initially was low to get out of the wind. There is still a deep snowpack down to Tignes Les Brevieres so it doesn't matter where you are stopping next week there is a lot of snow. Up higher we did have some snow/ice pellets which were not that pleasant to say the least. Even late afternoon, it was soft rather than slush.

The wishy-washy weather continues. Tomorrow will be similar to today but the wind will be less gusty until the afternoon. The showers are more likely to be in the afternoon but the snow level will be around 2400m so it may be better to have an early start in the morning. Monday will be very similar to today, windy, gusty and the chance of a shower all day. Tuesday looks like being windier and showery but with a better chance of seeing the sun. The snow showers will generally be coming from the South-east so Le Fornet will be favourite for more snow. Wednesday currently appears better with less wind and sunny periods. After that it will get quite a bit cooler and there is a reasonable chance of some precipitation late on in the week.

If you are flying tomorrow, there currently appears to be few weather issues to cause issues. There is a chance of a shower anywhere in the UK, they could be a bit thundery around the London area in the afternoon. Leeds Bradford looks quite unpleasant in the morning with rain and fog, if it is thicker than forecast then there could be the odd delay. Over here in the Alps there should be no problems.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hope the snow at the end of the week materialises as we arrive next Sunday. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The good thing about being here for the duration is that you don't have to go out on days like today! It has been cloudy, windy and drizzly here in Tignes Le Lac, so a day for the hardy, but I did make it to the gym. The warm temperatures continue though and the footpath across Lac De Tignes was closed yesterday morning, despite barriers across the entrance points and notices folks were still idly wandering on to the thinning ice through the day - Darwin will have his way!

There was also a huge avalanche down onto Piste L from the Couloir des Americains at 7pm last night, it was over 1000m long, there is a picture on Radio Val's Twitter Feed here:
https://twitter.com/radiovaldisere
Should make most people think twice about dodging the netting at the top of L again. Shocked Shocked Fot those familiar it nearly made it to the bridge near the Laisinant chair. I bet it was quite a dinner topic at that Chalet Melezes I think it's called).

And for tomorrow - read today, after the chance of a glimpse of the sun over breakfast time the showers and the wind will return. The gusty wind will remain for Tuesday but there should be few showers, more of a veiled sky with a hint of sun. Wednesday currently looks much better with sunny periods and clouds on the peaks. There then comes a marked drop in temperatures as a cold front finally decides to push across, there will be light showers during the day, but these will intensify through the evening and the snowline will drop to around Tignes Les Brevieres. Friday looks quite snowy, the snow level will be around 1700m by day and much lower by night, one last gasp of winter for @smagsmith, - trust me I'm a Yorkshireman! Beyond that - its difficult to say.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chocksaway wrote:
@smagsmith, - trust me I'm a Yorkshireman!

WoooooooHoooooooo Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A question for the Tignes experst out there.....
Next year, Mrs Smag wants to do an Easter Ski holiday with the two littel smagettes (ages 8 and 10 at the time). We have another family who want to come with us. We are thinking of doing a do it yourself deal. 1 week starting 8th of April, but we can be flexible a few days after that, but we are guessing that it will be easier to find Sat - Sat deal rather than mid week to mid week.
We are looking for a catered chalet. We don't mind doing a large chalet and sharing with others, but there will be 8 of us ( 2 families of 4 with young kids). I have only ever stopped in Boisse, but for this one I an thinking we need to be in Le Lac and the Mrs and the kids are beginners. Easy access to the pool wll also be good as they will probably ski in the morning and be knackered in the afternoons ( leaving the 2 blokes to ski on their own in the PM Toofy Grin )
Can anyone recommend a nice catered chalet. Budget has not been set yet, but we do not have a blank cheque for this, so needs to be sensible money.
We are thinking the following per family
£500 for flights,
£300 for transfers,
£1000 for accomodation,
£1000 passes/hire/lessons

Is that anywhere near what we should be planning for?
Can it be done for under 3k?
Should we be looking at package deals?

cheers
Smag
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@smagsmith, Unfortunately I think you will need to more or less double your flight budget for that week. (Only looked at Leeds/Brad - Geneva with Jet2)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@smagsmith, have you looked at tour operators to get an idea of prices? At least this will give you a figure to work to and ideally get unmnder it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The cheapest all in Chalet (inc flights from MAN) I can find is Alpine Elements at £2900, Chalet Neve in the prettier part of Lavachet. Ski passes etc will be another thousand. It depends on whether you can play the waiting game for the discounts.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chocksaway wrote:
The cheapest all in Chalet (inc flights from MAN) I can find is Alpine Elements at £2900, Chalet Neve in the prettier part of Lavachet. Ski passes etc will be another thousand. It depends on whether you can play the waiting game for the discounts.

Wow. I take it that does not include hire and lessons either then Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A family pass for 4 is €864 this year so £680 at current (pre Brexit Puzzled ) rates so enough left for skis (about £50 a week) but not much left for lessons. This is a difficult one to call regarding savings as it is school hols pre Easter (I think) but it is late so who knows how many people will want to ski. Of course there will be a bit of backlash against the low resorts next year after the poor snow at the start of the season which may well make Tignes more popular. This probably hasn't helped much but it is food for thought!

Meanwhile Radio Val have out a video on their website taken form the Laisinant Chair of the big avalanche - eek!

http://www.radiovaldisere.com/index.php?p=home
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow, that was some slide !
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@chocksaway, Just been looking on the Tignes Webcams and the snow seems to have gone a funny off white???? I take it the pistes are still holding up well?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chrisrawles wrote:
@chocksaway, Just been looking on the Tignes Webcams and the snow seems to have gone a funny off white???? I take it the pistes are still holding up well?

saw that when looking at the webcam this morning. It looks like the sand that was referred to on the 3V thread. Had this in Madonna a couple of years ago when we were there and it's always looks really odd!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stevew, Oh when people mentioned sand I thought they were meaning the snow had gone like the stuff you get in the indoor domes LOL Embarassed
snow report
@chrisrawles, Sahara rain/snow that has come in with the Foehn.
snow conditions
Yip, the sand I mentioned on 1 April was not a joke!!

A little more sun and less showers than forecast, sometimes its nice to be a bit out with a forecast! The clouds did gather after breakfast but there was a good sized gap shining on the righteous (!) of Tignes-Val D'Isere centred on Bellvarde/Toviere. Looking all round us there were foreboding dark clouds though. We skied around the Palet, Grande Motte and Aiguille Percée sectors of Tignes. The pistes are universally soft which makes it harder work on the legs, off piste to the side of Genepy there were some nice patches of soft snow, which were easy to navigate as they were the ones that were white (windblown snow), not the colour of the Saharan sand that is covering most of the resorts making the webcams look a bit drab.

Tomorrow will see the start of La Scara in Val D'Isere, the international races for 12-15 year olds, so watch out for piste closures around Bellvarde and La Daille.

There may be the odd shower tonight and these may continue into the morning (difficult to tell as the weather fronts are weak and indistinct). But the showers should clear to leave sunny spell, but we will still have the wind like today, so again some high lifts may close. Wednesday will have less wind thankfully, but the chance of a light shower remains. Thursday now looks sunny through most of the day with showers late on, there will be a marked drop in temperatures which will be welcome as it means snow down to 1700m or so. The showers will continue through Friday with a light breeze, Saturday looks similar in some forecasts and more snowy in others - keep tuned in!
ski holidays
Well the showers did continue, it was miserable this morning with rain in the villages and high winds aloft. This stopped around midday and started again mid afternoon So after an early alarm call, the skinning trip was cancelled and a few of the 'towards the end of season chores' loomed. As you are not really interested in shopping, washing and cleaning fridges hers a quick look at the Tignes Snow Plan for 2015-20 which was agreed last summer.

After a few years of discord, the relevant parties (STGM (the lift company), The Regie de Pistes (who do pistes and pisteurs) and the Mairie got together to agree an investment plan that suits all. It is a provisional plan as the National Park often put the brakes on plans but it will concentrate on the beginners areas (an area that had been neglected) and the Marais, Les Boisses and Les Brevieres sector.

But first on the list is a major refurbishment of the Grande Motte Cable Car, the old girl is getting on a bit and has had some harsh treatment from the weather over the years, so the paln is to make it more resilient.

The magic carpets in Le Lac and another one in Boisses/1800 were put in place last summer as was the moving of the Rosset Chair to allow room to build a fab new Creche and dedicated snow area for the little 'uns in the Le Lac.
There will be a new magic carpet to replace the old Poma in Val Claret and something (to be determined) to upgrade the lifts on Millonex/Almes.

The Marais Chair (the long slow one from the Marais Plateau to the Eye Of the Needle) will be replaced by a high speed detachable, so expect the Aiguille Percée Piste to be busier (and harder Shocked ). Piste Corniche which is the track that runs from the Eye to the Top of The Chaudanne will be remodelled (that's a lot of earth moving - hopefully it will become a proper blue piste).

The details are a bit sketchy on the next bit (much surveying and forecasting of numbers I suspect) but it looks like a new bubble will link from Les Brevieres to the current one at Les Boisses which will become a mid station. The bubbles will then continue to the top of the current Boisse bubble and an extension will be built to the Chaudanne Plateau (presumably making the Aiguille Rouge Chair redundant). I hope this system gets a lot of bubbles as there is much building work planned in Brev and Boisses and the queues for the two are long at busy times, as they are pretty much the only game in town for those 2 villages.

Finally, some chairs on the Chaudannes chair will be replaced by bubbles so that pedestrians will be able to transit from Lavachet al the way to Boisses and Brevieres in splendid comfort. Also it will allow skiers and riders to transit when snow conditions are poor in the lower villages.

We will see what happens.

So, onto the weather. There will be showers through the night (with the odd glimpse of the Moon around midnight) and these will continue into the morning, they will be light and are forecast to finish mid morning. The snowline will be around the level of Tignes Le Lac. The wind will drop and the afternoon should be made up of sunny periods. Thursday morning currently looks like blue skies and sunshine with snow showers in the afternoon down to 1700m. At some stage a cold front will arrive from the north-west and the air will feel noticeably cooler (yippeeeee!). Friday will remain cool and showery, with the snow line below Tignes les Boisses. The wind will pick up a bit at altitude. It is still a complex weather system (but one that has a bit of purpose about it) so difficult to say how much snow. Sunny periods will prevail for transfer day before spring like showers for the next couple of days. Unfortunately, there are no periods of high pressure showing on the long range forecasts so no prolonged spells of sun and cold nights, on the other hand there will be snow showers at altitude to ensure great skiing until the end of the season.
snow conditions
Very interesting to hear about the proposed lift developments. I wonder whether the investment in improved links between Brevieres, Boisses and Le Lac will also include an extension of the navette bus service down to Brevieres. Does it mention that sort of thing in the Snow Plan?
ski holidays
@CathS, The opposite I think, the more bubbles the less the requirement for navettes.

As I understand it there will never be a navette to Brevieres, because of the classification of the road below the Dam, by law it would have to be a coach with a seat and a seatbelt for everyone.
latest report
As spring arrives we can now look forward to the Franco Folies concerts next week, there will be 2 stages one in Le Lac and another on the Marais Plateau (Top of the Boisses/Brev gondolas to you chief) for afternoon sets in the sun (hopefully) - so that's what all the building work in front of the Maison is for. I am sure they were hoping it would be onto the ground not 1.5 m of packed snow (unlike the Christmas TV show last season which was the reverse - c'est la vie).

Today was a mixed bag of weather, which gave our Evolution2 instructor one or two conundrums! The hill fog/mist moved around all day - so it was a bit suck it and see. It also became noticeably cooler through the day. But we shot up to the Grande Motte first thing and did 3 laps of Leisses, whilst the pisteurs finished blasting the top of the Glacier. We cracked the first cable car load up where there was about 15cm of new snow, freshtracks for everyone, however, we only sank in 5cm or so as it was quite heavy - talk of a powder day in the bars tonight would be a bit wide of the mark. After some great spring snow below the Panoramique we launched into the P7 couloir (to the left of the Lanches Chair as you ascend), the soft snow meant it was a lot easier to control your speed and not have to stop to avoid the rocky edges! The morning finished with a good run down Lognan, spring snow at the top, glue down towards the bus stop. I also saw my first Marmotte (well 5 actually) under Palafour and on the Golf Course.

After lunch we picked our way down to Brevieres. If you are wondering why Sache is closed, you can see why when you get into Brevieres, there has been a colossal (I don't do hyperbole - remember) avalanche from the avalanche barriers above the bit of Sache that is steep and mogulled, it made it all the way down to the edge of the beginners piste, about 450m vertical. We are now short of quite a few trees and a snow cannon or two! On th eway home we spotted a credit card under the Aiguille Rouge Chair, so we did an off piste 'Womble' Run, 6 bottles, one pole and if Mrs Castle-Doughty is still looking for her (unsigned!) Business debit card it is with the Police Municipale in Tignes Le Lac.

Tomorrow should be a much better day, a little cooler than today (in the shade) but we should see the big orange thing in the sky all morning, there will be a few fluffy clouds building up in the afternoon. There may be a sea of clouds well down the valley. There may be a snow shower or to as you walk back from the pub! Friday looks like cloud and snow all the way down to below Les Brevieres so a great refresh from the piste. Its all a bit chaotic on the charts, but at he moment 10-15cm (maybe!). There will also be a stiff breeze, on Saturday it will be cool for the time of year and sunny spells will be the order of the day. Sunday now looks similar but warmer (a bit). Monday looks like a mixed bag of showers (the odd one may be thundery) and sun.
snow conditions
Really looking forward to Sunday now. Was not aware of the concerts. What type pf music will it be and at what time of the day? We have been over at this time of year for the last 3 years and never stumbled acrosss concerts. We stop on Boisse so would have notice a stage at the top of the bubble up in the morning.
latest report
http://en.tignes.net/what-to-see-do/events/live-in-tignes-by-francofolies-en

found it Very Happy
snow report
@chocksaway, Womble run! Love it Laughing Laughing

Great info in your last few posts, really interesting info about the new left plans. Will be fab if the Marais chair is replaced. Shame they can't do Grand Huit as well.
latest report
@smagsmith, Yip its all new this year - try something different to extend the season (for those who need to be persuaded to come). The stage in Le Lac is taking shape - looks like the full monty as far as stages go.

@HoneyBunny, Yes GH is a slow one, but it is not that old (around 98-99 IIRC) so a few more oldies to go yet!

And on to today, basically a glorious day, just a few bits of mist floating around. It had also frozen overnight down to below Tignes Le Lac so the pistes were bullet hard this morning Shocked . But today was an early alarm to resurrect our cancelled tour from the other day. After skating round the pistes to the top of the Grand Huit we skinned up the Col de la Tourne (only 20 mins or so), spookily the mist blew in as we donned skis so here is a picture of what was supposed to be the majesty of the high mountains - but is essentially mountains shrouded in fog!

But here are two of the fab four doffing skins in an ethereal atmosphere:

The ski down was on very hard pack - but the best was to come (such is touring at this time of year as you have to leave early to avoid afternoon slips). This is what the Col looks like when the sun comes out:

I spy with my little eye - just mountains and no people.

The second skin of 40 mins took us past the buried (in snow) Chalet Des Aimes up Les Aimes where there was a fantastic pitch of sublime spring snow:

We were having way to much fun to stop and dropped to low to get a shot of our tracks.

It was then the 40 min haul uphill to the Refuge du Col Du Palet fo a well earned Savoyarde lunch:

The mist did pop back for a while. A final 20 min skin took us up to the top of Col Du Palet where we rejoined the masses on slushy bumps.

What a difference a day will make. There is a front parked over us for the next few days, as it ebbs and flows the temperatures, snowline and amount of cloud will vary (just check the latest forecast vs yesterdays. Tomoorow will be cloudy and snowy all day, the snowline has crept up to 1900m in the morning falling down the valley towards the evening. The winds will pick up during the day as well, I am still hoping for between 10 and 20cm, though some forecasts are predicting more. Saturday now looks cloudy and dull down low, it may be sunny at height, we will have to check the webcams.... Sunday will be a day of sunny spells and a 4 or 5 degree increase in temperature. Monday looks like being cloudy with a chance of a shower in the afternoon, Tuesday's forecast is for a nice day with a few fluffy clouds, stand by for changes to this plan though!
snow conditions
Fingers crossed for a little fresh top up. Although we are not arriving until the 16th so it will be long gone by then Laughing
snow report
Well the snowy weather was a little late on parade - but it arrived with a vengeance at around 3 o'clock when it started snowing heavily, with big flakes. We woke to hill fog in the villages but the sun was shining above 2800m so there was some good skiing 'en haut'. The clouds rose through the morning and by 1 o'clock the Grande Motte was smothered in grey. But before then we could see big fluffy cumulous clouds to the east - these are now above us - hence the heavy snow. The snow should remain heavy until dark and then there will be lighter showers until the morning. Tomorrow morning, looks a bit like today with layers of cloud, it will be a game of hunting the gaps; it will improve through the day. But nor problems really for those on a transfer day, the local authorities have stopped forecasting numbers - so it can't be that busy! Sunday should be a sunny day and a 4 or 5 degree increase in temperature. Monday will be a mixed day, sunny periods in the morning, showers in the afternoon and a gusty wind building in strength through the day. Tuesday seems to be a day of sunny periods before showers start late evening and these will continue for a couple of days.

For the fliers tomorrow, most of the UK will be damp and miserable but nothing to hamper flying, over here it will be a pleasant day for aviation, you can sit back and relax thinking of us enjoying this new snow (hopefully between 10 and 20cm depending on how moist the flakes are).
ski holidays
We arrive Saturday evening, think 100cm is forecast for Saturday night.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@russ_e, If only wink
snow report
Did lots of lovely snow fall overnight? Very Happy
snow conditions
The official site says 6cm in the village and 10cm on the Grande Motte - where the sun is shining Very Happy Bye!
ski holidays
@chocksaway, thanks - enjoy Very Happy
snow conditions
Another foggy morning in the village but the secret spycams showed that it was only up to 2400m. So guess what, it was a charge up the Glacier, where there was some queues - unusual for a Saturday. There was indeed about 10cm of new snow, which was quite light but this soon transformed in the strong sun. There was not quite enough depth to cover all of the bumps left in the 'chopped up' areas but on more gentle slopes down from the glacier it was 'hero' fresh tracks for all. So we did that twice! The cloud moved inexorably up the mountain in the day, eventually it rose above the villages. Our last run was down the North Face of the Borsat - another 5cm would have made it perfect, but heh ho it is April.

The clouds should clear by early morning and tomorrow will be FAB - fine and beautiful, a warm spring day, there may be the odd fluffy cloud around. the wind will pick up on Monday, which will start with sunny periods, some of the more lively clouds may develop from Cumulous into thunderstorms - its only a chance. Tuesday will start with sunshine, the cloud will build through the afternoon and we may see some showers before midnight, with a snowline at 1900m. Wednesday could be quite lively with showers and thunderstorms with a snowline between 2000 and 2500m depending on the time of day, luckily the air will be a bit cooler than last week. Order may well be restored on Thursday with another glorious soring day.

For the snakes on a plane tomorrow the weather in the UK may be a bit misty, but nothing to hamper flying. Grab a window seat if you can because the views of the mountains will be stunning tomorrow, as Frankie sang "Welcome to the Pleasure Dome"!

Tonight is the big Gala Dinner for SOLEA at La Queue de Cochon in Lavachet. SOLEA is a local cancer charity and is well supported by the expat community out here, it might be a gentle start in the morning........
ski holidays
And it was a bit of a gentle start but I was on the planks by 1015, I also won a prize last night - a weeks ski and boot hire - should be handy for a friend next year.

There was just a hint of very high clouds and the odd contrail this morning - but effectively it was a sunny spring day. I had a run down to Tignes Les Brevieres where the snow pack is still deep, not a stone in sight. At about 11 0'clock it was nice snow, I suspect in the afternoons you would need to like slush! After a quick inspection of the Grande Motte (pistes in great condition, off piste very varied) I headed to the Bellvarde area of Val D'Isere, where again everything is in good order. So, if you are thinking of a late booking - there will be more than enough snow to keep everybody happy. The stages on the Marais Plateau and in Tignes Le Lac are now complete for the Franco Folies Music Festival which starts tomorrow and runs until Wednesday.

Tomorrow morning will be a sunny one with some fluffy clouds building up around the peaks during the afternoon. There will be a brisk wind, which may close the odd lift or two at altitude. Tuesday looks even more benign with sunny spells all day. It will freeze overnight at height so expect hard pistes on both mornings and some spring snow if you know where to look and get the timing right. Wednesday will be a different kettle of fish - with showers and longer periods of rain and snow through the day, with a snowline at around the level of the Tignes Dam, there will also be a sharp breeze. One or two of the showers could be quite intense. Order is restored on Thursday with another day of sun and fluffy clouds.
snow conditions
Very heavy snow in Cumbria last night on way to Manchester AirPort. Thank goodness for winter tyres.

Good view of the new snow on the lakes and carnauddau from the aircraft this morning.

Very clear all the way out to Chambery. Lovely sunny day today in VDI. Looking forward to a big tele day tomorrow. Laughing Laughing
snow report
Arrived yesterday in Boisse. Had a few afternoon laps down to Brev. Snow was good considering how warm it was in the sun.
Just sitting in hotel ready for first full day. Clear blue skies await.
snow conditions
The clouds built up a bit quicker to the south today and one or two of them dispensed a few flakes to the souther flanks of the playground that is Tignes-Val D'Isere! The wind was also quite cheeky at 3000m or so. Today was another Tigski/Chocks adventure and quite a long day too. The plan was to ski over to Val and disappear on a skin from half way down the Cugnai of piste run. But as this involved a trip via La Daille, I have to say that there is still loads of snow down there and no sign of any stones which is unusual for this time of year. One or two of the other pistes have a few bare patches over there (notably Arcelle and Rhone Alpes but nothing to worry about).

So having descended Cugnai we skinned up past the Refuge du Fond Des Fours and on up Vallons Des Fours to the Col of the same name. Unfortunately, a cloud just obscured our view at the top but here is a picture of the signpost to prove 'we were there' after an hour and 40 mins and about 520m of uphill:

The view over the top to Le Fornet was less appealing:

The light for the ski down was fine, we had a few cm of powdery crystals at the top, some transforming snow and spring snow all in one pitch, we only saw 6 other people and these are our tracks:

Honest they are there.

Of course it wouldn't be a day out without fine dining:

Thanks to the chef - Spanish omelette and a can of coke for €10.

All in all the cloud and breeze made it less of a sweaty trauma getting up, sun at the top would have been nice though.

Just waiting for the Franco Folies to start in the village to spoil the tranquillity wink

Tomorrow will be a carbon copy of today, there may be a bit less wind and the amount of clouds on the peaks may vary a bit. Wednesday still looks like the worst day of the week, almost complete cloud cover all day, a breeze and showery precipitation all day, possibly thundery in the morning, the snow line will start at 2100m and slowly creep down to 1500m. So Thursday should be a good day, a bit of new snow, sunny all morning and a few fluffy clouds in the afternoon. Friday and Saturday will be a mix of sunny periods and light showers
snow conditions
Thanks to TigSki, here is the sign post and yours truly!

ski holidays
Great first day. Loads of snow everywhere compared to this time last year. But stick lower down in the afternoon. Made it up to the top of the motte before they shut it due to wind. First time on decente too. Lovely run. Motte to val claret in 17 mins which is good for us. 1340m vertical in the process.
latest report
The day dawned with sunny skies and the search for spring snow, which to be honest wasn't that difficult by following the sun (but if you didn't get it right the consequences were teeth rattling). Most of the morning was spent lapping the area to the left of the Grand Huit chair - perfect spring snow. The pistes were quite soft by 1.30pm so an early finish and a siesta! The sky progressively clouded over through the afternoon.

The second day of Franco Folies is just tuning up down the road, there was a very good attendance last night for the 3 acts.

Tomorrow could be a wild old day. It will be cloudy at daybreak and then sometime between breakfast and morning coffee the rain/snow will start. There could easily be thunder and lightning as a trough of low pressure is parked over us. So maybe a day to stay close to home (or a bar). Also if you get caught, ski next to someone with a camera on their helmet, lightning likes tall metal objects Wink. The showers will be less intense by evening and a stiff breeze will pick up in the afternoon. The all important snowline should start around 2200m falling to 1500m by the evening. As ever, with showers it is difficult to predict how much snow, but if we are parked under a big one 10-15cm is easily on the cards, maybe more if we are lucky. Thursday will be much nicer, with sunny periods in the morning, high clouds will gather and cover the sun in the afternoon, a bit like today really. Friday is a mix of showers and sunny periods, nothing to bad but there will be a strong wind at altitude. Saturday and Sunday look like being showery and it will be much warmer so the snowline by day could be most of the way up the mountain. The Jetstream is still parked over France for the foreseeable future so the outlook remains showery, a mix of sun, snow and rain.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy