Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

This is how many skiers there are in the UK [includes spam and E.R.N.I.E]

Poster: A snowHead
This morning the Ski Club of Great Britain will publish its annual 'Industry Report' of data for the British ski market.

Avid observers of the scene will know that various numbers are obtainable from alternative sources. For winter 2013-4, the SCGB said "Not far off million mark" for the number of British skiers and boarders (they normally publish a specific figure - for winter 2012-3 it was "1.4 million", and the previous year it was "1,056,000).

Crystal Ski said "867,700" for winter 2013-4. Then, in February 2015, ABTA came up with a figure of 2.16 million for the same winter. So, essentially, you could choose who you wanted to believe.

In summary, for winter 2013-4, Crystal said 867,700, the SCGB said "Not far off million mark" and ABTA said 2.16 million.

The SCGB figures for the past 5 years have been:

2013-14: "Not far off million mark"
2012-13: 1.4 million
2011-12: 1,056,000
2010-11: 1,072,000
2009-10: 1,120,000

Sources:

http://mag.digitalpc.co.uk/fvx/crystal/sir2014/
http://www.skipedia.co.uk/2014/09/the-ski-club-of-great-britain-industry-report-2014/
http://www.skipedia.co.uk/2015/02/uk-snowsports-market-twice-as-large-as-thought/
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/assets/files/documents/nowsportsanalysis2012.pdf

More data: https://www.facebook.com/notes/skihub/size-of-uk-snowsports-market/1686316214988477

While we await the latest SCGB figure, here is a rear view of the Electronic Random Number Indicator Equipment (ERNIE), once used to generate Premium Bond numbers:

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How hard can it be? Well, they could just count the numbers actually going on a package holiday to an Alpine resort and then factor in the numbers that buy a weekly ticket in Scotland. Surely that would be the simplest thing to do? Ok it won't count everyone and might count some folks two or three times but it would at least give a trend?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I love these sort of reports. To some extent it shows the difficulty of actually estimating values from surveys and the difficulty the press has in reporting the reliability of surveys. The pupblic opinion companies probably quote the reliability of their data to the clients (to sort of quote sir Humprey Appelby "well the reputable ones do - but there aren't many of those".
http://youtube.com/v/G0ZZJXw4MTA) but this always gets ommited from the press releases.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Utter tosh, how did crystal or ABTA know where I skied last christmas? The only evidence of us leaving the country was three flight tickets to Orio Al Serio with hand luggage.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, Still a classic 30 years later!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If our Government haven't got a clue how many illegal immigrants there are in the UK, how can SCGB or anyone else have a clue as to how many of us legals slip out of the country for a bit of a ski. Most people I know don't use tour operators any more, sometimes they drive, other times fly and the durations tend not to be a nice round week any more. Hotels and apartments don't seem to bother get my passport details like they used to either. Based on the above, SCGB seem to inflate the Crystal numbers massively and surely this just makes themselves look less and less relevant. If only 2% of the skiing population are members of the national club, why don't they just retire into a secret little society and stop "reaching out" as corporates like to say.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some info just in

http://sigb.org.uk/sigb-updates

Off Piste is highlight as a growth area Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@homers double, It is known as sampling.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
James Cove reports for PlanetSki:

http://www.planetski.eu/news/7232

Quote:
Accurate numbers and unbiased information about the UK snowsports industry, rather than opinion and PR hype, are increasingly hard to come by.

The Ski Club report is now in its third year and it has had some wildly varying figures but it is now settling down.

In 2013 it claimed 1.4m British people went skiing and yet in 2014 it was down to 1m.

Now it is up to 1.2m.

Not sure I'd agree that this is a 'settling down'. If one is to believe the SCGB figure of c.1 million from last year then 20% growth in skier numbers has occurred (if the 1.2 million figure is accurate). The huge fluctuation of SCGB data of the past 4 years, though, seems to stretch credibility ...

2014-15: 1.2 million
2013-14: "Not far off million mark"
2012-13: 1.4 million
2011-12: 1,056,000
2010-11: 1,072,000
2009-10: 1,120,000
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was going to say that you need to get out more, but then I realized that I spent about 60 seconds of my life reading this and that in fact I too need to get out.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
count the legs and divide by 2
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DrLawn,
Not sure this will encapsulate those amazing people who ski with only one, or no legs Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bearing in mind that skiing in the UK is now a very mature market - availability of package tours has been strong for over 50 years - it seems surprising to me that the size of the market is subject to so much dubious measurement and reporting. I don't quite understand why the market research/reportage is being undertaken by an organisation (SCGB) which was founded as a non-trade body and which is funded by member (consumer) subscriptions.

There is a separate ski trade organisation called Snowsport Industries of Great Britain (SIGB).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DrLawn wrote:
count the legs and divide by 2

Clearly you've not heard of DSUK!! Happy

Mind you, the speed of some of those guys and girls, I'm surprised not surprised you've missed them.

Used to watch a guy race at CFe with one leg, simply awesome Happy
ski holidays
David.Googlesmith wrote:
Bearing in mind that skiing in the UK is now a very mature market - availability of package tours has been strong for over 50 years - it seems surprising to me that the size of the market is subject to so much dubious measurement and reporting. I don't quite understand why the market research/reportage is being undertaken by an organisation (SCGB) which was founded as a non-trade body and which is funded by member (consumer) subscriptions.

There is a separate ski trade organisation called Snowsport Industries of Great Britain (SIGB).

There are no valid reasons I can think of why the SCGB shouldn't look closely at and report on the industry.
snow report
Count the heads and divide by 1
snow report
Further reports on these numbers ...

1. Snowsport Industries of Great Britain (SIGB):
http://sigb.org.uk/sigb-updates

2. Snow Industry News (SIN):
http://snowindustrynews.com/articles/ski-club-of-great-britain-announces-snowsports-industry-research-findings/
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
Count the heads and divide by 1

nope still wont work as the brainless boarders and park rats would be missed out Happy
ski holidays
@PaulC1984, I knew there was a flaw. Instructors have really big heads too, must count double.

Most industry surveys are done for PR purposes and to justify top jobs and remuneration. Ski business will struggle to stay where it is as the population gets older.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy