Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2015/2016: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania

Poster: A snowHead
@christine28 The Maison des Enfants is by the base of the Tovets chair - say 3-400m along the road from the bottom of the sledge run
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thank you ecureuil x
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Today started off with a horrendous decent down Pic Bleu (somebody needs to have a word with whoever was assigned to bash it last night - icy, strewn with "death cookies" and bumps) and ended with a lovely run down Folyeres. By 5PM there was 5CM of fresh snow at Chenus and 3CM in La Tania. All bodes well for our last day tomorrow. Jerusalem wasn't in good nick today, we had a blast on it yesterday - just shows how much difference a day can make. Runs of the day were Biolley (down to StM), Lapin, Lievre and Anemones. Most reds we did today weren't that enjoyable ...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lovely / fluffy April powder in the morning (even down to low levels). Pic Bleu wad absolutely tremendous as were Jerusalem and Biolley down to StM. Much heavier post lunch. Those out tomorrow will have a great day. Warming up from early next week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Conditions still remarkably good although the heat means that it is getting very slushy in the afternoons. Icy in the morning then nice soft spring snow then slush.

All bathed in sunshine. It's been a very good season in the 3vs.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It was good today. It was very, very good. Fresh snow, low temps meant the best Spring conditions and plenty of freshies for everyone. Quiet too! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
20 April 2016. Spent today in Three Valley's finding plenty of fresh powder!

Managed five longer classic routes today. There was even untracked powder still to be found.

For more details of these routes see the 2016 Three Valleys Album on my facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Great spring conditions right now. Get out here if you can and enjoy the fresh snow with more on the way according to the Meteo France!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyone in VT now please- can you tell me whether the snow on the beginner slopes in centre of VT is holding up - we are going with a near beginner next week. Is it getting slushy by the afternoon please?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Villz, softening pretty quickly during the day in general, but it doesn't become deep slush by the end of the day around the magic carpets area - they should be ok with a good instructor showing them how to handle it. Gentianes getting very slushy from mid day onwards though...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@fixx, Thanks!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some changes ahead in the Belleville valley this summer.

The Jerusalem piste is having some earthworks undertaken at the top and bottom of the run to enable it to be reclassified as a blue.

Two new chairlifts in Val Thorens, Boismint and Stade, both will be 6 seater and replacements for existing lifts.
The demise of the old Boismint has been quick, it has already been demolished. I shall miss it's uncomfortable seats.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Duster wrote:

The Jerusalem piste is having some earthworks undertaken at the top and bottom of the run to enable it to be reclassified as a blue.

Two new chairlifts in Val Thorens, Boismint and Stade, both will be 6 seater and replacements for existing lifts.
The demise of the old Boismint has been quick, it has already been demolished. I shall miss it's uncomfortable seats.

Good to see another person from the Southend area! I'll be heading out there in June/July to do some renovations and will put my hiking boots on and wander down to take some photos. I watched them replacing a lift last summer and the skill of the helicopter pilots when they transport the metal structures up the hill and position them for bolting is amazing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Duster wrote:

WHY???? They will ruin the best piste in Les Menuires...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Is there really a need to do anything with Jerusalem? The top section is not that hard for blue run skiers - having said that, I got the "stare" from a friend when her 6 year old really struggled down it after I said "he'll be absolutely fine, he'll love it". On 2 occasions this season I found that the grooming on Jerusalem was more of a concern - whoever did it must have been on the genepi before he got in the basher.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Duster wrote:

Wouldn't have said Boismint - though a fave place for a loosener lap or too - was that heavily trafficked that it needed a 6 pack. No idea about Stade - never use it. That and the resculpting of Jerusalem suggest that the lift cos have more funds than they know what to do with.

Now terraforming an actual downhill slope below the Knife & Fork and sculpting a express ski lane behind Peclet to the Cairn` - that might be money well spent
ski holidays
SETAM have a programme of investment where they are replacing all the single speed chair lifts with two speed, plein sud two years ago and plan de l'Eau last year. Boismint had one of the oldest two speed chair lifts and it was its turn.

Boismint is an unsung hero in VT as often when visibility is bad elsewhere through high cloud it often is below the cloud level.
ski holidays
What is the idea behind replacing Stade with a 6 seat chair ?

I haven't raced at VT so I don't know whether there was a problem with queues for the poma.
ski holidays
Jerusalem is great because it's a bit more challenging at the top...why on earth do they want to go and change the best run in the 3V? Grrr!
ski holidays
rjs wrote:

I haven't raced at VT so I don't know whether there was a problem with queues for the poma.

I was wondering this as well. Will it allow them to open up a new area; potentially linking back to the Plein Sud area?
ski holidays
emwmarine wrote:
SETAM have a programme of investment where they are replacing all the single speed chair lifts with two speed, plein sud two years ago and plan de l'Eau last year. Boismint had one of the oldest two speed chair lifts and it was its turn.

Boismint is an unsung hero in VT as often when visibility is bad elsewhere through high cloud it often is below the cloud level.

Still, I'd have thought that 2 Lacs is a better bet. Haven't really had to queue at Boismint when I've been there (other than when Moutiers has an issue) whereas 2 Lacs nearly always has a big line of people.
snow report
Quote:

Nooooooooooo. Bar-stewards, leave it alone.
snow conditions
Heated seats and covers? If not, someone put a request in please. 😀
snow conditions
emwmarine wrote:

Good to see another person from the Southend area! I'll be heading out there in June/July to do some renovations and will put my hiking boots on and wander down to take some photos. I watched them replacing a lift last summer and the skill of the helicopter pilots when they transport the metal structures up the hill and position them for bolting is amazing.

I shall be driving out there as well this summer, I also have some work to do on my apartment. I will no doubt take a look at the construction work, I find it fascinating to watch.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:

According to the planning document the new Stade chair will arrive about 300 metres higher than the existing poma and will give access to Lac Blanc as well as a new red called Stade. The new lift will start lower down where the existing Roc poma is which is also being demolished. A new teleski Club is is being constructed to give access for competition and entertainment whatever that means. It is all in the environmental and planning assessment which is 51 pages in French and can be found at http://www.lesbelleville.fr/download/enquete-dutilite-publique-environnementale-station-de-val-thorens?wpdmdl=2973. It looks like they want to open this area up a little more to skiers.
snow report
@Duster, Thanks. It states that the new Club des Sports poma is for racing and training, not "entertainment".

The justification of it all looks good to me.
snow conditions
That makes more sense. It will be interesting to see the piste map in the autumn.
snow report
Just been talking to someone in VT and they have very rarely seen this much snow around the village at the end of May. It would be great to nip down there with a pair of hiking boots.
snow report
Car uplift?

http://www.valthorens.com/en/live/livecams--webcams/resort-livecam.550.html
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's a shame as it looks like it would be fantastic powder to ski on.
latest report
Sevabel, the lift company for Les Menuires/St Martin have issued the following statement (translated from French) in respect of the Jerusalem changes.

"[CORRECTION]
The red track of Jerusalem will not be affected in its current form, there will be a blue track variant for those who do not wish to take the "wall" of the summit and avoid it. The rest of the track profile will be retained in full.
The other part of the work is to lengthen the run to reach the Biolley track.
Fans of The Jerusalem can still have fun.
We are sorry to have disturbed you. "

Perhaps they read snowheads!
snow report
Phew! I like the idea of lengthening the end...I think many years ago there was an extra bit to Jerulsalem on the piste map, so you sweep around the left hand bend at the end (as now), but then turned right after a few metres to carry on down the hill. If they add that back in, it'll be a nice addition.
snow report
I agree@Perty, I'm sure they could connect it to Biolley without forcing us to go round the bend and past the StM chair entrance.
snow report
Snowing today - https://www.facebook.com/valthorens.resort/videos/10154333252142764/
latest report
La tania merges with courchevel

Quote:
La Perrière and Saint-Bon merge in to "Courchevel"
It may have been an April Fool by us a few years ago saying La Tania was being renamed Courchevel but it is getting nearer (sort of)...

The two local councils (La Tania belongs to La Perrière) have approved the merger and will make a final decision on the naming of the towns before the 30 September 2016 with the new towns coming in to effect on 1st January 2017.

As we understand it these are likely to be La Perrière commune de Courchevel, Saint-Bon commune de Courchevel and La Tania commune de Courchevel. We can't see the name La Tania disappearing anytime soon - the 1550 and 1650 designations are still widely in use for Courchevel Village and Moriond.

Financially these changes do make sense so hopefully a new lift or escalator/walk way up the chalets area can be financed and the main centre of La Tania & the arrival area at The Montana can be all refurbed now.

The further benefits of one commune and joint publicity, tourist info, major developments, ski area improvements and belonging to "Courchevel" one of the premier ski resort names in the world are all fairly obvious too. Inter-village transport links should improve too and maybe La Tania will have full free bus links at the beginning and end of the ski season and through the Summer too.

Of course no one with lose their job and there will just be additional bureaucracy available and two town halls etc etc. Further information in the Mairie Newsletter

From latania.co.uk
ski holidays
Just back from a summer trip to St Martin. We had some lovely hikes in warm sun over 3 days. New stuff:

The council has put in pavements and parking bays from the town hall to about half way up the hill towards the main car park. The road is therefore narrower, and there are fewer parking spaces outside the boulangerie etc. It looks very smart, especially with summer flowers in the newly created planting areas, but it may make finding a parking spot while you buy your morning baguette somewhat tricker. I can see that it will make drivers go more slowly, though I've really experienced anyone racing up the hill anyway. The big car park in the village is being expanded right at the back, and the parking up on the main road opposite Notre Dame de la Vie appears to have been expanded and tarted up.

First day we did a hike up to the Lac de Lou where a new very smart looking refuge is being built-there's even a crane up there at the moment! In the meantime a rather quaint shack on the site is serving drinks and simple meals and what I think is the original old montagnette/refuge (next to and dwarfed by the new one) is being renovated.

Jerusalem-we walked past the top and there is as yet no sign of the creation of a new blue slope to avoid the steep bit. At the bottom where you turn left to head back to the lift, there sat a lonely theodolite. We didn't take the left turn but walked straight down and we could immediately appreciate that we were on the old bit of the piste which has been shut off for the last 10 years or so. It does seem like they are following the same route focussing their attention on the same part as before, bringing you down to Biollay after the first couple of bends.

Not news but I'll mention it anyway-on the second day we hiked up up the Vallee des Encombres via the gorge and the ruined village of Planlebon from Le Chatelard to the Refuge du Gitamelon. How fab was that...I can't wait to finally ski the off piste route from the top of La Masse down there. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Perty wrote:
...there sat a lonely theodolite.

"stood", surely? wink
snow report
@Perty, thanks for the update.

Thinking about the new refuge at Lac du Lou, I've walked up there from Les Menuires a couple of times and wouldn't have thought there is enough hiking and walkers going there in the summer to justify it. So it got me wondering if they are going to make the off-piste Lac du Lou run into a piste like they did with the Pierre Lory last season. After all it gets a lot of traffic now, so maybe ... Shocked
ski holidays
@andy1234, that's what I was thinking. I confess I've never done the La Masse - Lac de Lou itinerary, though my OP skills are more than up to it. It's either skied out or, when there is new snow, I am concerned about the Avi risk...every year someone dies up there, though it often seems to be those who start from the VT side. I do hope it doesn't turn into a piste though.
snow report
Yes it's a nice run though heavily skied, even when it's dangerous.

I used the outside toilet at the old refuge in the summer and didn't notice a bird nesting on the cistern above. When I opened the door it flew out with a loud squawk and nearly scared me to death Very Happy
snow report
Val Thorens, official opening 26th November 2016:

http://www.valthorens.com/en/activities-and-entertainment/events/details/opening-val-thorens.372.e370.html

Only 106 days to go, or 15 weeks...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy