Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2015/2016: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania

Poster: A snowHead
*booking * !!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
slightly pleased I have held off booking NY week. Although I am also sad for the resorts as this must really hurt them
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@t40ora, Christmas is still a long time away, so the likelihood is that a resort like VT will be fine by then - but I'm not sure what state it'll be in for the opening weekend.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
To be fair you should probably post a photo of the VT Livecam on 01/12/2014 which I suspect looks a lot greener than that one from November.

http://youtube.com/v/5ilGGP9BDZs[/url]
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Handy Turnip, true - nearly 6 weeks away, so I can still hope.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As long as the temps start to drop, the snow cannons can come on, I think end of next week we might see them on in val thorens and they'll push back opening date.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Little Martin, I think I'll keep my eye on the situation and maybe look for a late deal.

Only other concern is that anyone going skiing that week will be in the same place. People soup!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jonathancarty, actually I think VT was okay last year (although I remember Meribel and Courcheval suffering). This was the scene on opening day last year.. (not the best quality)

@t40ora, if I remember rightly because VT was one of the few resorts to have early snow, other resorts were trying to bus people over there!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ouch. May be a tad busy.

Oh well, I'll hope for the best.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I remember that shot from the opening day last year...also remember following the snowmaggedon thread on the Christmas / New Year changeover day last year.

Out to La Tania on the 20th Dec, could well do without a repeat of that.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Temps next week do look colder now, week after very cold.

Come on precipitation, show yourself.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Little Martin, with temperatures dropping slightly I reckon that VT will be able to get the snow cannons going from the weekend. I've also seen a couple of reports showing a few cm of snow on Wed 18th. Maybe VT will get away with it for opening day!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just had a snow alert for Serre Chevalier. Hopefully the same will come through for 3V too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've added some useful info to the first post in this thread including weather info, webcams, piste map, useful sites, will add more tomorrow (mostly the other valleys) when I'm supposed to be working Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Press Release below from Val Thorens resort - in short they are still planning on opening on the 21st (apologies the Google translation isn't perfect!)

Information Opening - Release]:
It has been snowing since the end of September in Val Thorens more cumulative height of 50cm. For two weeks, the mountains are facing temperatures inversion phenomena, and Val Thorens, although less affected than its counterparts in the Alps, is also facing this phenomenon.

This is due to the fact that anticyclones and high atmospheric pressures have led to a lack of wind. Under these conditions, the cold air is heavier than warm air, is stored in the bottom of the valley prevents precipitation and artificial snow production.

According to weather forecasters, we would enter from the 20 November in a snow cycle, favorably from a north / northwest regime, which should last about ten days and possible to foresee with serenity the winter 2015- 2016. Staff numbers have been doubled to open the ski area, all teams remain mobilized and are in the starting blocks to continue to prepare the ski area. Recall that last year, it had fallen 60 cm of fresh snow November 16, 2014.

Despite the exceptional and unpredictable circumstances, the station decided to keep it opened on November 21. For several years, famous Val Thorens the start of the season with its holiday and many activities are already scheduled for Saturday and Sunday concerts including Jazz à Vienne, DJs all day, sports activities, sports center including aqua spa and wellness area.

We will inform you early next week on developments concerning the opening of the ski area. In any event, although the station will open on November 21, many events are planned well and we will celebrate the opening of the season at Val Thorens, under the sign of conviviality and celebration!
ski holidays
I think they have to - I went for the opening weekend last year, on their heavily promoted weekend offer, and it was heaving! Thousands of people - no reason to expect the same numbers haven't booked this year, so that would be a LOT of refunds for the tourist office to issue...
snow report
they must be confident for temps to drop to get snow making next week
snow report
St Martin sent out it's community email newsletter yesterday that also said that Val Thorens is opening on time. They've started the snow cannons up this Morning.
snow report
Signs of cannon snow on Web cams.

Weather report pointing to snow next weekend and very cold temps
latest report
Looks like VT has judged the opening to the day Very Happy looking forward to going there in a few weeks Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Noticed the snow cannons being on earlier, and looks like perfect timing to that dump of snow the night before the opening day!!!
ski holidays
I'm in Courchevel 1850 right now, and there isn't a drop of snow. I'll upload a picture if I get a chance.

It's forecast to start falling on Saturday, so hopefully there will be a good base by the time the season starts.
snow report
@fps_John, to be fair I don't think there's much snow anywhere! However, Courchevel might see a dump at the weekend.

There's something a little poetic about everyone going to bed in VT on Friday in a resort with no snow - to wake up on Saturday morning, opening day, to about 25cm!

(Obviously it'll be slightly less poetic skiing during white-outs and blizzards as it dumps another 40cm during the day!)

That's, of course, if it actually happens - fingers crossed!!

snowHead snowHead
snow report
VT just posted on Facebook that opening is delayed until 28th November...

Quote:
[INFORMATION] VAL THORENS OUVRIRA LE 28 NOVEMBRE PROCHAIN.
Malgré une volonté forte de lancer la saison d’hiver le 21 novembre, une météo très capricieuse ne nous permet pas d’ouvrir la station et son domaine skiable à la hauteur de la qualité que nous souhaitons offrir à ses clients. Ainsi les équipes de Val Thorens ont pris la décision difficile mais raisonnable de différer son ouverture. Nous donnons rendez-vous aux amateurs de neige le samedi 28 novembre dans de bonnes conditions.

https://www.facebook.com/valthorens.resort/posts/10153810743952764
ski holidays
That's a real shame - it's kind of ironic that the abundance of snow expected from Friday night is the main reason that they've decided postpone.
snow report
Google translate of what VT have placed on their French home page:

Despite a strong will to start the winter season November 21, a very changeable weather did not open the resort and its ski area to the high quality that it wishes to offer its customers. Val Thorens and the teams made the difficult but sensible decision to postpone its opening. They rendezvous snow lovers Saturday, November 28 in good conditions.
This report results from a combination of factors that have more complex situation:
- Although snow have arrived as early as September in Val Thorens, with more than 50 centimeters in total height, mountainous areas face for three weeks at temperatures inversion phenomena.
- This exceptional situation is now upset by the announcement of an abundant snowfall and severe storms aloft planned this Friday. On the one hand, these new factors are jeopardizing the achievement of additional activities that the station wanted to propose an alternative from the 12/11 and greatly complicate access to the station. Moreover, incompressible four days are needed to serve the slopes to prepare and secure the ski area despite the doubling of field teams.
We are aware of the disappointment that this decision generates many skiers from friends, but the postponement of one week will enable us to offer a more open line with their expectations.
The weekend of 28 and 29 November will mark the launch of the winter season and will be placed under the sign of conviviality with the reception of the Rock On Snowboard Tour and the Tour Freegun Snowscoot. Gliding fans will enjoy the snowy slopes, free snowboard test the new equipment and participate in many activities.
Packages and accommodation previously purchased for the opening can be refunded or carried over to the weekend of 28 November. We invite customers to contact their host contact or Val Thorens Reservation.
ski holidays
Quote:

That's a real shame - it's kind of ironic that the abundance of snow expected from Friday night is the main reason that they've decided postpone.

Its like a snowstorm on your opening day..
Its like a whiteout on a powder day..
Its like being on a broken lift above a great piste

Apologies to Alanis
ski holidays
Quote:

to be fair I don't think there's much snow anywhere!

Oh Yes There Is!! These pics are from Glenshee, Scotland on saturday:

and
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apologies @andyrew, I take it all back!!!! Laughing
ski holidays
@andyrew, how wonderful! Is it not a bit wind blasted though? 🤔
ski holidays
Was any of it skiable andyrew? - I'm champing at the bit Smile
snow report
We couldn't even get to the top of the peak we were going for due to the depth. Depends what you mean by skiable, you probably could have got down the left hand (looking up at it) of Carn Aosda. But we passed out of the ski area heading west.
snow report
andy1234 wrote:
@andyrew, how wonderful! Is it not a bit wind blasted though? 🤔

"Wind blasted". I take it you haven't been in the mountains of Scotland in winter... wink
snow report
latest forecast looks to be some snow friday, with most late friday, followed by more snow on Saturday.

Freezing levels dropping overnight on friday, so should mean good snow all the way down to the 1400m resorts easily over the weekend.

Temps look to be staying low going forward, with plenty of possible precipitation in the wiggles.

Web cams at the ready tomorrow morning Smile
snow conditions
Already a dusting on Saulire

http://www.courchevel.com/winter/en/webcams-lc72.html

Love this time of year!!
snow conditions
@Mark1863,
Like a free (ski lift) ride when you've already paid... Very Happy
snow report
@andyrew, nope, but I'd like to try it sometime ... just so far away.
snow conditions
jonathancarty wrote:

Love this time of year!!

It's a mix of love and terror!
Been up since 6am watching webcams for any decent flurries snowHead
latest report
No sign of snow in VT yet, but the clouds are gathering!!!!
ski holidays
they had the cannons on in la tania last night, possibly just a test as there's no snow this morning Wink

temps a bit lower than forecast at the moment too, so looking good.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy