Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2015/2016: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks all - much appreciated!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Crikey the snow's coming in sideways and upside down it's so windy. Proper storm going on in the Belleville Valley. St Martin was horrible to drive around earlier this evening. Watched my colleague's car get struck by two separate cars as the wet roads froze. The gendarmes were also helping people put chains on. Lots more snow forecast for next week.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks pretty horrendous next week

http://www.bergfex.com/meribel/wetter/prognose/

Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Horrendous? There's loads of fresh snow forecast!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes but with a lot of snowfall and very high winds will stuff actually be open/ visible?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
33 cm on Tuesday????????????
I have died and gone to heaven.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Amazing day today! All the pistes are well refreshed with the fresh snow. Still windy. Now snowing down to 600m.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
was in 3v last week - was it me or was it much busier than I normally see at this time of year? Sign of more hotels and punters going high given season start?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Extremely busy! I wondered if it was a lot of last minute bookers after the snow the previous weeks.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@t40ora, in Courchevel 1650, 1850, La Tan & Le Praz it didn't seem too busy to me. The red pistes and off-piste bits at 1650 were excellent. More snow overnight and clearer skies forecast for today...hoping for one of those best of season days Friday.
If links are open La Masse and Mont Vallon will be favourites and Jerusalem too. Enjoy!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alti - dude wrote:
was in 3v last week - was it me or was it much busier than I normally see at this time of year? Sign of more hotels and punters going high given season start?

Are you a Punter?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@intermediate, ah. We did half a brilliant day in 1850, then one of our party fractured his arm in 3 places (on Billoay of all pistes) on day three. So the remaining days we stayed around VT and Orelle. HUGE bloody crowds.

Really wanted to get over to 1650, as we love some of those slopes, but obviously got some duff advice that the snow wasn't good.

Jealous of anyone running Jerusalem...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@t40ora, sorry to learn of that accident and hope they are recovering well.
Today enjoyed Meribel valley and best of all La Masse. Excellent snow conditions. Seemed quiet to me. Black from top of La Masse easier than rather lumpy red.
Tried Lac Noire chairlift for first and probably last time. One of our party would have struggled with powdery black off top. Had to pole long way uphill before getting to blue. Have they never heard of rope tows in 3V?
All in all a fabulous day!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@MCHP, just a punter who spends a fair amount of time out there
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Was thinking of going to Val Thorens and Mont Vallons tomorrow (Saturday). Was told by someone who went to VT today that most pistes were icy. Was surprised to hear this.
Any snowHeads in VT today? Comments on conditions and best runs welcome please.
latest report
Spent the day in VT yesterday and thought the conditions were perfect. Favourite run of the day was Christine, had a lovely amount of powder on it and wasn't churned up even in the afternoon!
latest report
Ah. Christine. .... snowHead
ski holidays
Christine. Strawberry girl? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Max excitement has been reached in our household. Christine could well be on the list for Sunday afternoon. One of my favourite fast red pistes, although if the forecast sticks it'll be covered in powder, so the steeper pitches will be fantastic fun.

This looks like being an interesting week in the 3Vs.
snow report
Achieved long held ambition of skiing Grand Couloir on Saulire today. Great snow. Sunny. Tricky roller coaster narrow ridge before couloir, as I have vertigo. Well pleased @ 60 years old.
ski holidays
intermediate wrote:
Achieved long held ambition of skiing Grand Couloir on Saulire today. Great snow. Sunny. Tricky roller coaster narrow ridge before couloir, as I have vertigo. Well pleased @ 60 years old.

Respect. I'm far too much of a woosy!

My excuse was that it was closed the well before last bit that ain't really the truth. ..
snow conditions
@t40ora, thanks. In the lovely snow and sun yesterday it was really fine once on the slope. The access ridge was a nerve-jangler though. The guy ahead of us telemarking was much more graceful!
All change and more snow I guess based on downpour at Grenoble this morning.
snow conditions
Alarmed by the weather forecast for next weekend - we are driving up on the Sunday at it is forecasting 20-25 cm in the valley that day - sincerely hope not... Sad
ski holidays
Looks snowy for the foreseeable future in the 3 valleys should keep the levels topped up well into half term
latest report
intermediate wrote:

Kudos! I like the steeps but my head swam the few times I did the run in to that so fair play.
snow report
Utter chaos in meribel this afternoon

Admittedly it was windy from lunchtime on the Saulire and then pretty much every lift progressively shut above the first tier

The Chaudanne was the scene of the biggest queues I have ever seen as nothing else seemed to be running, and of the choices there the Saulire express was shut too, not even going to the first station

Is this usual?

And anyone got a reliable forecast for tomorrow? I use meteo which did not predict this

Cheers
ski holidays
Hi @stebes42, saw the chaos on webcam - just thought Saulire Express had broken down (happened last year a couple of times when we were there). I checked the live lift info and it looked like all 3 valley links closed so I suspected weather trouble.
Anyone in Meribel know what the actual weather has been like today?

Thanks.
ski holidays
Flat light above les Menuires first thing this morning which cleared at around 10ish. Good conditions for rest of the morning until about 2ish as the wind steadily picked up and the light went again. Icy snow and very flat light from about 3pm up on la Masse. Rain at c1600m at 5pm today now turning to snow-hail.

Currently using meteociel GFS ensemble, bergfex, snow-forecast and yr.no to try and work out tomorrow's whacky weather. So here's my shot at it:

Light snowfall overnight and all morning but freezing level could see rain at lower levels, snow line probably around 1400-1600m. Quite strong winds could mean questionable inter-valley connections from the word go.

Freezing level dropping from around lunchtime as the snowfall also increases along with the wind strength. Tomorrow afternoon could be very difficult, time for that long lunch?

Wednesday currently looking positively arctic but winds maybe calmer and snowfall tailing off.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stebes42, it's not uncommon to close the links and higher lifts when it's particularly windy which is was up there today. It's just too dangerous to keep the lifts running in high winds. Unusual for the first section of the Saulire to be closed for bad weather tho, normally due to a breakdown.
ski holidays
Tricky weather at the moment... Windy up high, but mild too, so a narrow altitude bracket to find good snow. There is some to be found though:

0º dropping tonight to valley floor level so that is a good thing, but strong winds forecast through into tomorrow...
ski holidays
Challenging again today but had a good days skiing nevertheless

Saulire open initially but closed fairly rapidly as did several other chairs going to just above the mid station.

Similarly all inter Valley links shut promptly too, curiously the Loze chair stayed open all day and up there it was shockingly windy with horizontal snow. I have no prob with the tops being closed but why the Saulire express to the mid point?

Queues horrid at the bottom but actually fine mid mountain so didn't trouble us

Snow turned to rain in meribel village at close of play and is still hammering it down.

Forecast for a cold night and the wind to fade by lunchtime tomorrow

Fingers crossed
snow conditions
A small 'window of opportunity' to be found today, below the wind and above the heavy snow.

Lots of snow predicted overnight (and wind) so a day for caution off piste tomorrow !
snow conditions
snow report
@mihaid, it's Le lac bleu. Great little place.
snow conditions
No upper lifts open in Les Menuires meaning we're stuck! But boy will it be great when they reopen because it's snowing heavily, yet again. Wind appears to be dropping.
snow conditions
10 sleeps to go - please save some for me peeps Cool
latest report
steph wrote:
@mihaid, it's Le lac bleu. Great little place.

ex ce llent.

what good news you're giving me, we're staying across the road from lac bleu. would it be eat out every night , I wonder.

btw how do I ski down to lac bleu and eventually across the road? is it possible?
snow report
Who needs Japow when you have Courch-a-pow...?

latest report
@mihaid, to ski down to le lac bleu take the blanchot piste over at altiport, ski down hulotte to the bottom of the morel chairlift, and voila you're there! Le lac bleu is good value for money as is les petits oignons just a bit further up. It will help you a lot if you speak just a little French at le lac bleu. They can be quite Savoyard but worth the effort.
ski holidays
steph wrote:
@mihaid, to ski down to le lac bleu take the blanchot piste over at altiport, ski down hulotte to the bottom of the morel chairlift, and voila you're there! Le lac bleu is good value for money as is les petits oignons just a bit further up. It will help you a lot if you speak just a little French at le lac bleu. They can be quite Savoyard but worth the effort.

time for my French lessons to payback.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy